Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

I think most of us franchise guys would like to see full rosters, with practice squads, real IR and the ability to not be bogged down by the 53 man roster limit during the off-season (until the cut dates occur, of course). Donny Moore's Twitter seems to imply they'll be sticking with the basic 53 yet again this year.

Quote:
"Its the middle of May and we are trying to finalize the Madden 11 rosters.....trying to figure out that final 53 man roster now is tough!"

What are your thoughts?

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 thudias @ 05/18/10 07:31 PM
Rosters are important aspect to building a team and all aspects need to be incorporated. Very important.

Roster cuts
53 man roster
Game day actives
practice squad
IR

# 22 csfan20 @ 05/18/10 07:50 PM
The 53 man roster is a real pain in the @$$ when trying to edit the rosters during the real-like off-season in the nfl. They should just get rid of it and not let me play any new games with it.

# 23 TheFuture94 @ 05/18/10 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Rosters are important aspect to building a team and all aspects need to be incorporated. Very important.

Roster cuts
53 man roster
Game day actives
practice squad
IR
Exactly. This all needs to be in the game and it needs to be in THIS year, no excuses.

# 24 Step2001 @ 05/18/10 09:33 PM
I'll sit and wait for comfirmation from Ian......

I do agree though, there is NO excuse for not having almost all of the HC09 offseason stuff in Madden.

Why they have a secondary game "MUT" being worked on the same time they are trying to get Madden right, is beyond me.

Hearing that Looman has only talked about "MUT" on his posts. Yeah, now I'm leary as to what to expect from Madden offline Franchise.

# 25 parrothead @ 05/18/10 11:15 PM
Have they said why there is a limit anyway? Why is any limit necessary?

# 26 thekodinator @ 05/18/10 11:15 PM
whoa, what happened to the uniform numbers on the back of the jerseys? the numbers are WAY too small!

check out the numbers on the back of the packers jerseys in this video, theyre TINY!

# 27 Finsfan46 @ 05/19/10 01:08 AM
I think Madden has actually had a roster limit of 55 for awhile now, but if this is to compensate for a non-functional IR...then that is a long standing bad fix.

At a minimum, Madden 11 has to have a working IR, the Dev's must know by now that this is a horrible error in the programming !

I would like a Full Functioning NFL style roster in Madden, but highly doubt they will get that technical anytime soon. That would in no way fall in the "simpler" format.

# 28 nuckles2k2 @ 05/19/10 07:45 AM
I also think people tend to forget that you have to factor in the two different directions that Madden is going in since it made the jump to next gen. I know it's the norm to be impulsive and reactionary these days...but it's pretty clear that Madden had more of an arcade vibe going in Maddens 06-09, now we're striving for a more accurate representation of the NFL and Josh Looman is the man in charge of franchise mode.

I'm tired of seeing people just saying "Madden is this and Madden is that" as if the game some how spawns itself from some primordial ooze each year. There are people in charge of the game....different minds brings different views and that breeds different results. And we know who's in charge now and what their vision is (we saw the foundation last year.)

Since we haven't heard a single thing about franchise yet, and there's really no need for expanded rosters in the main menu of the game, I don't see how people can equate "I need to figure out the 53 man rosters here in May" with expanded rosters not being in.

I mean...even if we do have expanded rosters....how does that change Donnie's job? Doesn't he still have to figure out the 53 that's used for online games and the main menu's depth chart?

I don't get how people take 2 lines and extrapolate all sorts of info from it, and then start the "oh EA's gonna disappoint again" spiel with no real info.

# 29 EAOS @ 05/19/10 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
"I need to figure out the 53 man rosters here in May" I don't get how people take 2 lines and extrapolate all sorts of info from it, and then start the "oh EA's gonna disappoint again" spiel with no real info.
It's called Track Record. And unless you've been living under a rock the last decade, EA's track record is similar to that of a moving or taxi cab company.

You can't put a lick of credibility into anything that company says.

# 30 Cryolemon @ 05/19/10 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
Guys you gotta remember there has to be a 53 man roster for online play. so that doesn't mean anything
That doesn't effect franchise though.

One thing they really need to do is fix IR.

# 31 Exonerated @ 05/19/10 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAOS
It's called Track Record. And unless you've been living under a rock the last decade, EA's track record is similar to that of a moving or taxi cab company.

Lucky EA is remaining tight-lipped this year. Only releasing information that is confirmed to be in the game.

A track record is past events that provide a barometer for the future. It shouldn't make us indict them before hearing what they have to offer.

# 32 brza37 @ 05/19/10 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybutlerz

I think most of us franchise guys would like to see full rosters, with practice squads, real IR and the ability to not be bogged down by the 53 man roster limit during the off-season (until the cut dates occur, of course). Donny Moore's Twitter seems to imply they'll be sticking with the basic 53 yet again this year.

What are your thoughts?
This is disappointing. If 80 man rosters were in why would Donny need to complete a 53-man roster now? If 80 man rosters were in he'd be more focused on rating the 80 players per team and getting those rosters right before concentrating on 53 man rosters for online play.

# 33 nuckles2k2 @ 05/19/10 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAOS

Track records weigh more heavily when the same pieces are in place...in this case they're not.

You want track record?

Josh Looman worked on the last gen franchise mode (that a lot of us loved) and he worked on NFL Head Coach 09 (ridiculous franchise oriented game.)

Madden 06-09's franchise was headed up by someone other than Looman (if they even had a particular person designated to work on franchise...the staleness of the mode says Ortiz was ignoring it)

Madden 10 Looman is put in charge of the franchise mode, and while it's not perfect, we saw more attempts to fix the mode in one game than in the previous 4 combined: hand made draft classes to give you busts in the first round and gems later on, improved trade logic (still needs to be worked on, but it's better,) the weekly wrap up show, fixed a host of FA issues, and added the half sack and assisted tackle stats.

So far Josh Looman's track record looks pretty solid. I'll base my opinions on his work as opposed to his predecessors. What happened to Madden's franchise mode between 06 and 09 has nothing to do with the guy appointed to fix the mode beginning with Madden 10.

Or am I supposed to just look at the logo EA and start frothing at the mouth with hate? I know how to be fair and objective. Madden 06 through portions of 09, developed and produced under the watch and guidance of David Ortiz, were pure pieces of trash. I don't think I played any of them for more than a few weeks before they were listed on Amazon.com.

Madden 10 was an obvious improvement and if NFL HC 09 is any indication (which had expanded rosters), Looman knows what he's doing. I'll wait for him to prove me wrong before I bring the fire.

# 34 nuckles2k2 @ 05/19/10 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketRocket
I forgot about practice squads. This is the sixth version of Madden to be released on this generation of consoles. We should have practice squads by now. Essentially, all Tiburon would have to do is allow the user to select eight players in the free agent pool as practice squad players, have them progress a little bit, sometimes getting injured, to simulate the fact that they're practicing with a team and they're not on the street.

Even if they didn't put in 80 man rosters in preseason,this year, I would be happy with this: 53 man rosters, 45 man active game day rosters,a working IR, and practice squads.

Oh...I almost forgot, put the restricted FA period back in franchise mode.
Hell. Yes.

Plus I would like to see roster bonuses added to the game, but for that we would need a functioning calendar in franchise so we can actually see when the bonuses kick in. Makes decisions a little tougher when you know you have one week before a hefty bonus kicks in and you have to figure out whether or not to keep the guy on the roster.

# 35 thudias @ 05/19/10 11:23 AM
If a working calendar was added it would be cool to have 2-3 roster cut down dates.

# 36 nuckles2k2 @ 05/19/10 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketRocket
We're still asking for a functional IR. Roster bonuses are a decade away.
Like I said before, I'll wait for Looman to disprove his resume before I criticize EA for the franchise mode from Madden 10 on. If I can't look at a man's past work and resume and base my opinion on that...what can you look at? Because like I said, Looman had a hand in last gen's franchise success, Head Coach 09's success, and the half dozen additions to Madden 10 that weren't there from 06 to 09. He knows what he's doing.

He himself said that we can't expect Head Coach 09 to appear in Madden right from the get-go but that Madden 10 would be a foundation...something they can build on (yes, it may have it's issues, but they're correctable issues that can be taken care of as they build.)Call me crazy....but before you build the house...you need to set the foundation.

Personally I'm putting a lot of the onus on Looman. He's proven himself in the past and I expect him to revive franchise mode in Madden. But what I'm not going to do is blame him for Madden's franchise mode when he had nothing to do with it. We're past all of that and all we can do is move on with the dudes we have in place now.

If a company is tanking and they fire the CEO and replace him with someone who's supposed to correct all of the mistakes while grow the company...are you going to blame the new CEO for the bonehead mistakes of his predecessor? Why would you? He wasn't the one calling the shots. You wait for him to make his own mistakes, if he does.

If Madden 10 was the foundation, lets see what sort of progress they make with Madden 11 before we get the torches and pitchforks.

And if you're too immature to realize that this is how things go and because you're frustrated that suddenly everything has to be the way you want it now, and right now dammit, that's you being unrealistic. (this isn't toward any one person in particular, it's just a mind set around here these days.)

Yes there are tons of things that should be in franchise mode, I've acknowledged that dozens of times in countless threads. But bringing up the past and what should have happened under the guidance of a totally different person isn't going to bring progress. It just looks petty:

"I don't think you're going to do a good job because I have all of these expectations (no matter how reasonable) and the guy before you didn't meet any of them....and while you were cleaning up his mess and trying to please the fanbase...you still missed a bunch of my expectations....even though you said not to expect too much this year."

Sounds a bit ridiculous. Be upset, but be upset and also try to contribute in a way that doesn't look foolish. That's not how you get the devs attention and get your voice heard.

# 37 nuckles2k2 @ 05/19/10 01:08 PM
This is how it's done:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...se-mode-6.html

Tons of excellent ideas in there that the devs can browse and get some ideas from.

Angry, pissed off people who want their beloved franchise to be good once again....but all they do is present ideas to do so. That's how you help the game that folks obviously want to buy since they're so passionate about it.

Instead of trying to tear people down and point out all of the flaws from the past, how about help YOUR game get better with suggestions, ideas, and constructive criticism without all of the negativity?

# 38 brza37 @ 05/19/10 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
Like I said before, I'll wait for Looman to disprove his resume before I criticize EA for the franchise mode from Madden 10 on. If I can't look at a man's past work and resume and base my opinion on that...what can you look at? Because like I said, Looman had a hand in last gen's franchise success, Head Coach 09's success, and the half dozen additions to Madden 10 that weren't there from 06 to 09. He knows what he's doing.
I agree with you generally and I'm trying to hold the faith but its just a bit discouraging to see that, Looman, the man we thought was gonna save franchise mode has been put in charge of Madden Ultimate Team and has exclusively talked about MUT since January. Then the twitter from Donny would also lead one to believe that full rosters won't be in this year either.

# 39 ForeverYoung @ 05/19/10 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
And a working IR. Do those things and I will buy.
IR can't be fixed without expanded rosters, because players on IR stay on your team.

# 40 monkeybutlerz @ 05/19/10 01:38 PM
nuckles2k2, as the OP of this thread, I'd just like to clarify that I'm no way, shape or form saying that it is confirmed that we will not be receiving expanded rosters (among other things which we hope are included in the game), nor am I making any accusations towards Looman's track record or blaming him for franchise mode's current state.

I merely stated (from a franchise fan's perspective) that Donny Moore's statement may be an indication of the lack of expanded rosters for this year's game once again. My interpretation may be erroneous, but it's what came to mind. I didn't say it confirmed its exclusion, I didn't rule out it possibly being included in this year's game, I just brought it up as food for thought and wished for it to be a starting point for dicussion. If this is being perceived as being a negative and thoughtless post, meant to spur on blind hate for Madden, that wasn't my intent.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.