Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

Russ Kiniry, Designer of NCAA Football 11 has posted a new blog. This is part 1 of a 3 part dynasty blog.

Quote:
"Hey NCAA Fans! Russ here and I'm back to discuss a crowd favorite. We are now less than two months away from the July 13th release of NCAA Football 11. Personally, I'm very excited about all the details we already talked about with game play and presentation. The game is looking really good right now and the team is working hard to finish in these last couple months.

One of the most asked questions at every event, forum, and live chat we've done so far this year is "What is new with Dynasty?" Well I'm happy to finally be able to answer that question and provide you with a lot of the details in Dynasty Mode. But with all the enhancements this year, Dynasty will be broken down into 3 different blogs; this is the first about the new Phone Call in NCAA Football 11."

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 NDFan1029 @ 05/18/10 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampStomper90
LMAO at no FCS schools! The ticker says FCS East 17 Air Force 35. Maybe next year guys.
If there were gonna be FCS schools, don't you think they would've mentioned it by now?

# 82 NDNathan @ 05/18/10 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyebred2332

If not, this will nearly make it impossible for smaller schools to recruit against the big dogs.
As it should be.
Quote:

Take a team like Utah State, who maybe has 1 or 2 A's and the rest are C's. Obviously you aren't going to have much success pitching a C to a propsect, so what you have 2 things you can sell at most? In previous years you could really hammer those two things, but now it looks like it immedietly makes it so you can't talk to them for long? Say you really want and need some 4*, and have him tops of your board,
Which 1* prestige school ever lands 4* talent?

Quote:
but you can only pick 2 pitches (and that = 20 minutes?) each week, yet some other school can have this same guy as their 3rd option at that position, pick 4 pitches (40 minutes) and basically double up your points each and every week.
Bigger schools have more resources and thus can essentially get double the interest from recruits. This is a decent way to simulate. For instance ND has a private jet for coaches to recruit. I doubt any 1* or 2* schools could claim the same.

Quote:

It just seems to me that this will make it next to impossible to land any recruits with a small school if a big school is going after them.
Right... just like real life.

Quote:
I know I know that is somewhat realistic, but it is not impossible. It was harder for small schools before this new "Phone Call", as it should be, but this seems to be taking it over the top to me. As a guy who likes to start with 1* teams and build them up, this doesn't excite me.
I also like building up small schools and I love this addition. Hopefully, no longer will I be able to turn Idaho into a national power within 3-4 years. Building a small school up should be a long, laborious process. I hope this is well simulated within the game.

# 83 Pokes404 @ 05/18/10 05:49 PM
Don't like the point system (as far as it showing you exactly how far ahead/behind a school is), but I am interested in the new phone call mechanic. It'd be nice if they released a patch where you could hide the ability to see how many points you're ahead/behind in online dynasties. I've always liked the meter because it let you know where you stood with a recruit and who you were competing against, but still left it ambiguous enough to make your recruiting decisions more difficult (as in real life).

# 84 fcboiler87 @ 05/18/10 06:30 PM
I don't like the point system. It's unrealistic. I'll agree with the guy that said it should look something like rivals where it lists high, medium, low interest. The points are completely unnecessary as it really is about the same as it is now. Seems to me like they wasted time doing it.

Second, I think it is evident that recruiting logic has not been fixed based on that recruit's list. Florida? Michigan? Notre Dame (now)? These guys wouldn't recruit a fullback for anything. It doesn't fit their system. Oh but wait... he was a 5 star fullback!

Georgia Tech's flexbone offense ran by a slow, pocket passer quarterback, here we come!!

# 85 utahman19 @ 05/18/10 06:34 PM
I like where this blog is taking recruiting in general, but like most in this thread I really dislike the entire idea of a point system. I don't like the meters much, either, but at least that presents some element of the unknown. Just do it like Rivals does it: List each school in the top-10 by interest level, (no, low, medium, high) not some slowly creeping meter. Also keep soft verbal and add solid verbal, but DON'T make even the solid verbal absolutely binding, allow those recruits to still be recruited. Decisions should be made on signing day where there are always some surprises. The saying is that once the commitment is made is when the real recruiting begins.

Just for a real life example, last year there was this running back from Texas named Josh Huff. He was interested in several schools, but had high interest in Utah and TCU. He committed to Utah and was "solid".
Quote:
"Utah fits my style of play," he said. "I like to get the ball in the open field where I can make big plays in a big game, for my team when they need me the most. My biggest strength as a running back is my ability to cut back and use my speed."
(from a Rivals.com article dated June 1 2009)

A few months later he turned down the Utes and verballed to Minnesota.
Quote:
"It feels great to be committed to Minnesota," he said. "I feel that Minnesota is the place that will allow me to grow the most both on and off the football field. I just think Minnesota has a great environment up there with the new stadium and the excellent fan support. ... I made everything public yesterday because I really felt comfortable with my decision," he said. "Ever since my visit I knew that Minnesota was a great place and I knew that their fans really wanted me to be a Gopher. It feels great to finally let the Gopher Nation know that I am a Golden Gopher."
(Rivals.com, Oct 31 2009)

Huff's tripping didn't end there. Not much more than a month later, he took a visit to an in-state school, TCU, and committed with what appeared to be an absolute ending.
Quote:
"Recruiting is done for me," he said. "There's no more visits for me."
(Rivals.com Dec 7 2009)

However, Huff made a surprise trip late in the game and signed with a school - Oregon - that was not even on his radar until the end of the season.

Huff isn't the only one who de-committed to schools (though I will admit, I think this is an extreme example) and signs with others. There are surprises all around. A local Utah kid, Ricky Heimuli, was "known" to have narrowed his list down to Utah and UCLA. At his announcement he first dropped BYU. Then USC. Leaving Utah, UCLA, and a surprise team. Who's hat did he pick and sign with? Oregon. The year before his cousin Latu Heimuli surprisingly picked Utah over Florida and Nebraska.

Allow for some ambiguity in the ratings. Stick with "High", "Medium/Moderate", "Low", and "No" interest in schools, and for the occasional surprise competitor. I don't want to know that I'm 120 "points" up on another school. Allow for some big swings, especially later in the season when recruiting really takes off. Allow "solid" recruits to be swayed if another team plays their cards just right. This point system just seems to go further away from what really happens instead of closer to it.

Also there should be a TON of offers for the top kids. Latu Heimuli had 20+ offers. Seantrel Henderson had at least 15. NCAA Football? I've never seen more than 6 for the top kids - 5 CPU offers and then me.

# 86 da ThRONe @ 05/18/10 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
I like where this blog is taking recruiting in general, but like most in this thread I really dislike the entire idea of a point system. I don't like the meters much, either, but at least that presents some element of the unknown. Just do it like Rivals does it: List each school in the top-10 by interest level, (no, low, medium, high) not some slowly creeping meter. Also keep soft verbal and add solid verbal, but DON'T make even the solid verbal absolutely binding, allow those recruits to still be recruited. Decisions should be made on signing day where there are always some surprises. The saying is that once the commitment is made is when the real recruiting begins.

Just for a real life example, last year there was this running back from Texas named Josh Huff. He was interested in several schools, but had high interest in Utah and TCU. He committed to Utah and was "solid". (from a Rivals.com article dated June 1 2009)

A few months later he turned down the Utes and verballed to Minnesota. (Rivals.com, Oct 31 2009)

Huff's tripping didn't end there. Not much more than a month later, he took a visit to an in-state school, TCU, and committed with what appeared to be an absolute ending. (Rivals.com Dec 7 2009)

However, Huff made a surprise trip late in the game and signed with a school - Oregon - that was not even on his radar until the end of the season.

Huff isn't the only one who de-committed to schools (though I will admit, I think this is an extreme example) and signs with others. There are surprises all around. A local Utah kid, Ricky Heimuli, was "known" to have narrowed his list down to Utah and UCLA. At his announcement he first dropped BYU. Then USC. Leaving Utah, UCLA, and a surprise team. Who's hat did he pick and sign with? Oregon. The year before his cousin Latu Heimuli surprisingly picked Utah over Florida and Nebraska.

Allow for some ambiguity in the ratings. Stick with "High", "Medium/Moderate", "Low", and "No" interest in schools, and for the occasional surprise competitor. I don't want to know that I'm 120 "points" up on another school. Allow for some big swings, especially later in the season when recruiting really takes off. Allow "solid" recruits to be swayed if another team plays their cards just right. This point system just seems to go further away from what really happens instead of closer to it.

Also there should be a TON of offers for the top kids. Latu Heimuli had 20+ offers. Seantrel Henderson had at least 15. NCAA Football? I've never seen more than 6 for the top kids - 5 CPU offers and then me.
And to add to this all recruits should be only verbal commits until NSD(which also needs to be added.)

# 87 Potatoes002 @ 05/18/10 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
In the offseason in Ncaa 10 I have seen kids ranging from 2-5 stars with 12+ offers. Teams get desperate at the end of recruiting in the game and I have seen the new 5 stars added in the offseason sign with 1 star schools because they bad schools start going after them in the first week of the offseason.

# 88 JkA3 @ 05/18/10 06:52 PM
i hope this really makes the process faster.

# 89 Philthephlame @ 05/18/10 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting
I just don't feel that this is "blog-worthy" news at all.

I wish the news and blogs could all come from the new guys on the EA NCAA team.
my thoughts exactly

# 90 huskerwr38 @ 05/18/10 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting
I just don't feel that this is "blog-worthy" news at all.

I wish the news and blogs could all come from the new guys on the EA NCAA team.

I agree and I am very disappointed with the blog. From what we know so far, I feel NCAA 11 just don't understand the recruiting process. Teams have recruiting coordinators and assistant coaches, etc. that recruit areas. The talent of the coaches (their recruiting ability) should play a HUGE part in what type of talent your able to bring in to your program and how well the recruits are assessed.

# 91 BIGD419 @ 05/18/10 08:19 PM
One thing that I would like to see added to this is that depending on your staffs recruiting abilities, you should get an "estimate" of how the recruit truly views your school and the competition. Example, If my staff is good at recruiting should get like a point estimate like 150-160 or something. and if I was a bad recruiter, I would get like 100-180 or something.

# 92 TyghtWork @ 05/18/10 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
i find it funny that so many people wanted something new to recruiting and they add something new and everyone hates it. They can't win can they?
+10000000
No they can't

# 93 Lava @ 05/18/10 09:12 PM
Quote:
i find it funny that so many people wanted something new to recruiting and they add something new and everyone hates it. They can't win can they?
To be fair, they didn't really add anything new. They just changed the way what was there works/is displayed.

# 94 jhogan3132 @ 05/18/10 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGD419
One thing that I would like to see added to this is that depending on your staffs recruiting abilities, you should get an "estimate" of how the recruit truly views your school and the competition. Example, If my staff is good at recruiting should get like a point estimate like 150-160 or something. and if I was a bad recruiter, I would get like 100-180 or something.
It's a good idea, but how would they track that? Is EA going to start running recruiting stats? Lets try to be realistic. I will setlle for better presentation, QB's that no longer pitch when they are tackled, and the elimination of run commit.

# 95 MaizeHaze @ 05/18/10 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
I don't like the point system. It's unrealistic. I'll agree with the guy that said it should look something like rivals where it lists high, medium, low interest. The points are completely unnecessary as it really is about the same as it is now. Seems to me like they wasted time doing it.

Second, I think it is evident that recruiting logic has not been fixed based on that recruit's list. Florida? Michigan? Notre Dame (now)? These guys wouldn't recruit a fullback for anything. It doesn't fit their system. Oh but wait... he was a 5 star fullback!

Georgia Tech's flexbone offense ran by a slow, pocket passer quarterback, here we come!!
I've seen this complaint a few times now. Keep in mind it's not like there is an interest bar in real life as well but we've had that in the game forever! We just have a number attached to it now. Not really a big deal.

# 96 jsquigg @ 05/18/10 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecooper9
So your telling me that coaches don't know where a kid is leaning to ....? That's not true most prospects are leaning to a school and everybody knows it including the scouting services.

There are a handful of recruits each year that its a surprise as to what schools they like the best.

I don't mind the point system as long as it allows for some surprises.
Actually that's not what I'm saying. I was pretty much saying what you are except I think that coaches don't know what to do in the case of some of these high profile wild cards. NCAA needs the wild cards and the unpredictability of some recruits.

# 97 Jessep07 @ 05/18/10 09:49 PM
Stop complaining. These are improvements, even if they're not improvements that YOU wanted. Take it for what it is, because that's what you're getting this year.

# 98 CornrowWallace @ 05/18/10 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessep07
Stop complaining. These are improvements, even if they're not improvements that YOU wanted. Take it for what it is, because that's what you're getting this year.
And the cycle continues...

# 99 MaizeHaze @ 05/18/10 09:59 PM
I've got a feeling that they took the weaker of the 3 dynasty blogs and put it out first and are going to hit it out of the park with the next 2.

# 100 MaizeHaze @ 05/18/10 10:27 PM
Quote:
or they put the 1st blog out on recruiting because so many people have been talking about wanting something different about recruiting or a new wrinkle to it and so they put this blog out to give those people the info on recruiting and now it seems all those people are complaining.

You know how many people would be pissed if all the pitches and recruiting you did had no impact on the recruits and they just went to random places even if it wasn't one of the higher interest places throughout. Yes that happens in real life but you cant always put a human element into a video game. Like someone else said, in real life you dont have a meter that fills letting you know where a recruit is leaning but we've had that in for years and people have been ok with it. Now there is just numbers attached to it.

If everyone was just low, medium, high interest then you wouldnt be able to tell where a player is leaning. And in real life the recruits get interviewed by different services to get a feel of where they're leaning and coaches talk to the players to get a sense of where they're leaning but since you cant actually talk to a recruit in the game and have a real conversation to get a sense of where they're leaning, they put a meter with numbers to convey that.

Sometimes you guys need to remember that its a video game, not real life, you need to be able to seperate yourself between the two. As much as we want this to be as real as possible its still a game.
I'm totally with you! In fact I mentioned that having a number attached to the interest bar really isn't that big of a deal to me. I hope your aren't lumping me into the "you guys" wagon because I'm loving what ea has done for the game this year and don't think I have complained really about anything. I guess that was my way of getting people to realize that if you didn't like the this one there are still two blogs to go so don't get so down about this first one.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.