Home
NHL 11 News Post

Check out the new screenshot of NHL 11 screenshot showcasing the all-new real-time physics engine.

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 wildthing2022000 @ 05/20/10 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armi5718
Never seen a hip check that low irl. I remain un-impressed with news about the physics engine. The NHL team said they fixed puck physics for this year's title and it turned out to be a load of garbage. I need video proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q_LydGErDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbTUC...eature=related

Not the best picture quality but you can see it.

# 42 SCARFACE909 @ 05/20/10 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing2022000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYViRuwFZA

# 43 06woz @ 05/20/10 09:42 PM
Wow, looks like big changes... Real time physics can only make things better. Because now they can just give the puck real physical properties and it will react life-like. This also translates onto many other features of the game.

# 44 onlybygrace @ 05/20/10 10:10 PM
Wow...one picture and we have all the nay sayers and homers in full force.

Human nature rules. lol

# 45 akula @ 05/20/10 10:35 PM
imagine how stale the game would be if they didnt change the gameplay at ALL? bottom line is they need to make steps forward in the gameplay AND presentation department. realtime / non-scripted (IE: you control a player) after the whistle and a pregame warmup would be good improvements that are technically presentation AND gameplay improvements!

# 46 06woz @ 05/20/10 11:12 PM
The fact is that Real Time physics HAD to be implemented in the next two-three years. It's the direction sports games are taking and will continue to take.

# 47 hockeyplayer @ 05/20/10 11:33 PM
I am glad there will be broken sticks, but the major issue still isn't confirmed to be fixed: franchise. It is currently unplayable with the way trading, and free agency is.

# 48 onlybygrace @ 05/20/10 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer
I am glad there will be broken sticks, but the major issue still isn't confirmed to be fixed: franchise. It is currently unplayable with the way trading, and free agency is.
Opinion and your welcome to it...I see franchise as needing some work, but definitely still a lot of fun. If you wait for any franchise to be perfect or even close to it, I'm sorry to tell you that you'll rarely be satisfied.

Now...if there were something like MLB 2k10 where drafted rookies freeze the game when coming to the plate, I would agree with you.

However, if you can live the the salary cap OFF it fixes the FA's rotting in free agency for the most part.

And the trading and be toggled on/off for most of the season, which is a way of having some control of the madness on that one.

Perfect??? No. Playable??? Yes.

# 49 06woz @ 05/20/10 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Can someone explain to me what real time physics are?
The best way to understand is to know what it is not. Look at NHL 10.

In NHL 10, you press an input(button/stick) and a "canned" animation occurs. This means that no matter what, once this animation is started, it will go through to completion.(actually I think nhl 10 uses branching, so animations can be interrupted at "certain" points, whereas real time physics can be interrupted at any point)

With real time physics, there is still an animation but these animations are all controlled by the physics, so that literally unlimited amounts of animations can occur.

Maybe an example is best...

Lets say you wind up for a slap shot, to this point both systems are the same. Now you flick forward on the right stick...

In NHL 10, if your player starts the animation of the slapshot, he will continue through with it regardless.

In NHL 11, if there happens to be a stick in the way of your stick, the sticks will collide. A number of things are now considered by the engine. If enough force was put into the defending stick to break it, that will happen, if the defending player only has one hand on the stick(less strength) his stick will be hit out of the way, and the shot will have less power, or maybe it will be knocked out of his hands. As you can see the limits of this are truly endless.

Also, players are more human like with real time physics. So if you are chasing down a puck side by side for an icing call, and you lean into the player beside you, you will not just move into him and hold your upright standing position, you will use him for balance, or to advance yourself further.

Also, it will make checking more realistic as the collisions/results of those collisions are based on position of each player as well as their speed. No more dropping to your knees when going in to check someone. You will do your best to hit them, and the results will be based on the physics.

The KEY point here is that every controller input only starts a gesture, that gesture can and WILL be affected by the physics. Weight, speed, momentum, strength, tendencies will all be factored in to create a vastly varied game, and a new gesture can be inputted at any time, your player will act out that gesture as best as he can according to his situation(physically).

Hope that helped anyone who was confused.

# 50 plaidchuck @ 05/21/10 02:17 AM
I hate to be negative nelly but I REALLY hope "Real Time Physics" isn't just some EA buzzword for "rock em sock em over the top robot checking w/ broken sticks". Not that I don't have complete faith in the devs, but if you throw a term like that out there you better deliver.

# 51 Vikes1 @ 05/21/10 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz

The KEY point here is that every controller input only starts a gesture, that gesture can and WILL be affected by the physics. Weight, speed, momentum, strength, tendencies will all be factored in to create a vastly varied game, and a new gesture can be inputted at any time, your player will act out that gesture as best as he can according to his situation(physically).
Thanks for the explanation 06woz. I wasn't real clear about what "Real time physics" meant either.

The way you've explained this feature it sounds like a fantastic upgrade. And hopefully with EA Canada's first attempt in the NHL game...it'll prove to be as awesome as it sounds.

Man!...broken sticks, and this real time physics...great beginning to the news about the coming game.

# 52 Splitter77 @ 05/21/10 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Wow if they pull that off that will be sweet! Thanks for explaining it.
yeah- almost sounds too good to be true.

# 53 b3organ @ 05/21/10 07:42 AM
I'm eager to find out if they're really going to do this? Only Backbreaker (still at development) has done real-time physics so far. If this is true and not some BUZZword (as plaidchuck said) I'm blasted. Already. And it's May.

# 54 Money99 @ 05/21/10 08:41 AM
From Epic at the Community Event:

http://www.thebreakaway.net/forums/s...00#post1167600

Quote:
Hey guys I just got back from the EA studios...

I was there for a very long time, since like 9am! .. It's 9pm here, so yea 12 hours of craziness.

I can tell you this; you will be very impressed with the feature list they have this year, also I got a chance to play the game and I can say that you guys will be very pleased, and things that needed to get fixed are fixed.

They also said that they had more time to work on certain aspects of the game (which I cannot talk about) because they had some freed up resources, which is awesome.

Tomorrow, I hit the ice for a little skate and game of shinny, then back to the game again..

Sorry I can't let you know any more I'm having a great time, and I am very honored to be representing this community, I hope Im doing a great job! Haven't had a chance to take pics because were spending alot more time on the game!

Peace out, going for drinks!

# 55 06woz @ 05/21/10 09:49 AM
Am I the only one who would like to see them perfect(or nearly perfect) the gameplay before getting deep into the presentation. I just skip over all of the cutscenes anyways.

# 56 Money99 @ 05/21/10 10:08 AM
Quote:
Am I the only one who would like to see them perfect(or nearly perfect) the gameplay before getting deep into the presentation. I just skip over all of the cutscenes anyways.
Gameplay is certainly always #1 on my list too.
But I don't think the guys who work on gameplay also handle presentation stuff. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Who knows?

But I do know that a good presentation can make up for a lot of quirks.
I think I could stand to play NHL2003 (ewwww!) if it had a weekly wrap-up show, in-game cutscenes, highlights from around the league during intermission and the real arena's.

# 57 Vikes1 @ 05/21/10 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
While I'm not an advocate of presentation over gameplay, by any stretch ... presentation is *FAR* more than simply cut scenes.
I'm also in the camp of game play first. But I do also, like you Bama...understand the importance of great presentation in any sports game.

I always tend to view things by way of franchise mode. And for me...I think one of the biggest things I want outta the games presentation is to not feel like my team is the only team in the league playing. Ie...I want the presentation to make me feel like my User team is one of the teams in the league...not the only one that matters.

# 58 Flyermania @ 05/21/10 02:42 PM
Quote:
Nope...I am also hoping the gameplay (especially offline) gets some much needed improvement.

# 59 Money99 @ 05/21/10 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Nope...I am also hoping the gameplay (especially offline) gets some much needed improvement.
FM, when you were out for last years CD event, how much different was the build you tested on compared to the final product?

I know when I played FNRd4 the build we tried was quite a bit different than the one released.

Thanks!

# 60 Mikey88 @ 05/21/10 03:26 PM
Quote:
I completely agree man. I have yet to even bother to start franchise or whatever they're doing these days. It's almost like i'm afraid to get bored with the game if i choose that route. My interest seems to remain fresh playing online ranked matches or vs friends. Always very challenging there, not sure it would be playing the CPU over and over again in franchise.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.