Home
NHL 11 News Post

With all the exciting news coming from NHL 11, here is another exciting gem. It seems we could very well see NCAA Hockey as well. Hit up Kotaku for the scoop.

Quote:
"While we don't have a formal announcement to make at this moment, we are certainly in discussions with EA Sports and they are very interested in having a college component to their game," Kelly told the show. "We, the colleges, are very interested in having that happen and we are just currently in the process of figuring out what dimensions that ought to take. [But] just as there is going to be a CHL component to the video game, there will be a college hockey component as well."

That doesn't necessarily mean for NHL 11 due in September, Kelly said.

"I'm hopeful. I don't know much about the development of video games," he told the show. ""If we come to a finality here in the next couple of weeks and whether that would give them enough time to roll it out in time for September ... I would hope so but I don't know the answer to that."

NCAA Hockey Video Game on the Way (Thepipelineshow)

Quote:
"Last week the Canadian Hockey League and EA Sports formally announced that the next edition of their NHL series would include teams and players from all three Canadian Major Junior leagues.

According to Paul Kelly, the NCAA and EA Sports are very close to announcing a similar agreement to bring the U.S. College game to the masses in the same format."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 wildthing2022000 @ 05/28/10 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
This thread is all news to me too...
I take it then to mean NCAA won't be in NHL unless there is going to be some DLC if a deal ever gets announced.

# 42 Fiddy @ 05/28/10 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
That would be nice, but you still wouldn't be able to bring this online. Which is a shame.

The NCAA needs to change some of it's archaic laws. The world has changed. These athletes should be allowed to put their likenesses in games should they wish.
you have been able to use ncaa rosters online for years with football.

# 43 R3D BULL83 @ 05/28/10 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedeck
I never thought I'd see the day. I'm excited.
An college hockey game from EA Sports, GOD I hope it happens I want to use BC. Hopefully it's like NCAA football and madden were u can start a palyer in the college game then transfer him over to the pro game

# 44 celticboy25 @ 05/29/10 02:06 AM
this would be a dream come true for me. heck, i'd be thrilled if they just included Hockey East (Go BU Terriers!!!) and maybe some of the historic college hockey traditions like the Beanpot tourny. of course, i am a die hard college hockey fan, so i wouldn't expect the casual nhl fan to share my excitement for this news

# 45 B_rad13 @ 05/29/10 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticboy25
this would be a dream come true for me. heck, i'd be thrilled if they just included Hockey East (Go BU Terriers!!!) and maybe some of the historic college hockey traditions like the Beanpot tourny. of course, i am a die hard college hockey fan, so i wouldn't expect the casual nhl fan to share my excitement for this news
I am a fan of the NHL and I would love to see NCAA hockey in this game even though I don't watch any NCAA Hockey

# 46 Araxen @ 05/29/10 04:35 PM
I just can't see a NCAA Hockey game selling that well on it's own. It'll have to be part of the NHL franchise, now if they'll only add the KHL too. Yeah, I know hell will freeze over before that happens but it's a nice dream to have.

# 47 actionhank @ 05/30/10 04:59 AM
I don't think an NCAA game would do well on it's own, but if it was added in to NHLxx as a game mode that could be played like Be a GM, that would be awesome.
Finally i could get my Badgers to the playoffs myself!

# 48 Vikes1 @ 05/30/10 03:35 PM
I agree with others that have said they don't believe an NCAA hockey game would sell well on it's own.

Also as others have said...I gotta believe a college game would almost have to be incorporated into the NHL game. Maybe just as "Play now" teams? Kinda hard to imagine that there would be space for a full blown college game experience. Including all the recruiting etc..

I'm just hoping if they've got room for college teams...hey, how about some classic teams?...like the Whalers, North Stars, Rockies, Jets, etc...

# 49 bukktown @ 06/01/10 07:31 PM
How many college teams are there? Like 30-40?

# 50 ImTellinTim @ 06/01/10 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
How many college teams are there? Like 30-40?
There were 58 D1 programs at the beginning of last season. One or two might be folding in the next couple of years.

# 51 dubuque @ 09/02/11 05:01 PM
they should include the USHL then it would be the best hockey game ever

# 52 gopher_guy @ 09/02/11 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
There were 58 D1 programs at the beginning of last season. One or two might be folding in the next couple of years.
The only one I can see folding is Alabama-Huntsville, and Penn State is starting their program. Moorehead might also add.

# 53 gopher_guy @ 09/02/11 05:28 PM
I REALLY hope that NCAA teams get added in this game at some point. I enjoy college hockey more than the NHL, would be fun to play with NCAA teams in the game!

# 54 Vikes1 @ 09/02/11 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I REALLY hope that NCAA teams get added in this game at some point. I enjoy college hockey more than the NHL, would be fun to play with NCAA teams in the game!
Playing a UMD vs Minnesota game would be a blast!

Gotta love those..."Out state" teams.

# 55 bwiggy33 @ 09/02/11 06:30 PM
The only thing is that the arenas would be generic and it would just kind of take away from the experience. I'm not sure what they would do with bands and the students either. I wouldn't complain though because I have wanted a college hockey game for so long. Also it would be really cool for me because I work for the St. Cloud State hockey team and it would just be cool using all of the players in the game since I know all of them. Obviously the rosters wouldn't be named though because of the NCAA rules. We would have some mad tournaments in the locker room if college hockey ever gets into the NHL game.

# 56 gopher_guy @ 09/02/11 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
The only thing is that the arenas would be generic and it would just kind of take away from the experience. I'm not sure what they would do with bands and the students either. I wouldn't complain though because I have wanted a college hockey game for so long. Also it would be really cool for me because I work for the St. Cloud State hockey team and it would just be cool using all of the players in the game since I know all of them. Obviously the rosters wouldn't be named though because of the NCAA rules. We would have some mad tournaments in the locker room if college hockey ever gets into the NHL game.
Agreed, it wouldn't be the full experience, but it would just be fun to beat St. Cloud in video game form

(I keed, I keed)

# 57 bwiggy33 @ 09/02/11 07:16 PM
Quote:
Agreed, it wouldn't be the full experience, but it would just be fun to beat St. Cloud in video game form

(I keed, I keed)
Hahaha you're talking to a lifetime Gopher fan until I decided to go to St. Cloud for college. It was a pretty tough transition cheering for SC over the Gophs. It's a whole lot easier now since I work for the team, and the Gophers haven't been so great the past few years.

# 58 gopher_guy @ 09/02/11 09:15 PM
Quote:
Hahaha you're talking to a lifetime Gopher fan until I decided to go to St. Cloud for college. It was a pretty tough transition cheering for SC over the Gophs. It's a whole lot easier now since I work for the team, and the Gophers haven't been so great the past few years.
Guentzel is back. Pride on Ice will be back with him

I like St. Cloud though, especially now that we will be out of the WCHA, I will be cheering for SCSU to do well.

# 59 bwiggy33 @ 09/02/11 11:24 PM
Quote:
Guentzel is back. Pride on Ice will be back with him

I like St. Cloud though, especially now that we will be out of the WCHA, I will be cheering for SCSU to do well.
Yep Guentzal is the man. I'm really good friends with his family. He was actually my assistant coach in Bantams. If things don't turn around this year or the next, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucia fired and Guentzal named head coach.

# 60 gopher_guy @ 09/02/11 11:44 PM
Quote:
Yep Guentzal is the man. I'm really good friends with his family. He was actually my assistant coach in Bantams. If things don't turn around this year or the next, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucia fired and Guentzal named head coach.
Even if things turn around, I don't see tDon staying for more than 5 years or so, with his health issues. I think they've all but assured Guentzel that he will be the next coach.

His title here is "Associate Head Coach"

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.