Home
UFC Undisputed 2010 News Post

What's up guys (and gals)

My name is "THQ Tank", or just Tank as I'd prefer. Your new Official WWE / UFC Community Manager, coming to you straight from the former heart of EA as the previous Command & Conquer Community Manager for the last 6+ years, now here at THQ. I'm quite the seasoned Community Manager with a heavyweight belt of experience and great friends with "Marcus", were each others inspiration, now we work together, not a bad gig.

I was recently presented a golden opportunity to come tackle this fighting community for THQ and finally give them, and more importantly the dev team(s) and community a voice they absolutely deserved.

If you missed my intro on our official UFC boards, check out the sticky thread here:

http://community.ufcundisputed.com/forums/topic/165794

While I am a huge proponent of being communicative and loyal to our “homeland”, my equal priority and “mantra” as a Community Manager is engaging and interacting with our external hardcore community, you guys who generally have some of the most constructive ideas and feedback around. Not to mention, you'll slam me down like a 10-story building falling flat on my face if I don't listen all around, so trust me, been doing this for 6+ years, you have a voice you can trust which will be heard by the dev team, and will also talk back. I'm a nice guy, no worries. And I like to bang down doors.

Concerning UFC 2010, the update I posted yesterday in General Discussion and the first blog on our official site

http://community.ufcundisputed.com/forums/topic/169296

…really encompasses the heart of the matters at the moment. I assure you, myself and the dev team are reading all over, I also just need a little bit of breathing room to get my chops down and around the entire community outside the official boards, so thanks for understanding. There are some specific gameplay issues being addressed in that post, and a myriad of others being worked on by the team. While I'm new to the community, I feel your pain on Super CAF's.

I absolutely want to engage with you guys as frequent as possible, so expect to hear from me frequently. I will falter at times, not be here every hour or day, I'm human and am currently Community Manager of BOTH WWE and UFC, and also the main point of contact in the THQ building establishing this, so, please allow me a little breathing room. I came from EA, I know what community management is all about, and I intend to give THQ that same desire and passion so the UFC/WWE games and community get the voice and dedication they have deserved for quite some time.

Glad to be here, and I'll be collecting as much feedback so we can shape up UFC 2010, namely the critical issues right now. I'm also here to have fun, cause, i'm a gamer to, and a massive Bay Area sports fans. GO Giants! LA Galaxy fan as well, my only allegiance to the Los Angeles area. I'm a San Francisco native, my blood runs deep with the orange and black. And Shogun is the man.

Cheers,

Tank

Game: UFC Undisputed 2010Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
UFC Undisputed 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 jb12780 @ 05/30/10 03:38 PM
I was experimenting yesterday and I want you guys to test a theory I've developed. I think Experienced is the most realistic difficulty setting IMO. Ive had fights go to the distance at that level and I think there is where the ratings matter the most. Its just a hunch though. It still needs more testing.

# 62 Stormyhog @ 05/30/10 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
I was experimenting yesterday and I want you guys to test a theory I've developed. I think Experienced is the most realistic difficulty setting IMO. Ive had fights go to the distance at that level and I think there is where the ratings matter the most. Its just a hunch though. It still needs more testing.
I have been playing experienced as well and have had a couple of fights go the distance one of them being a majority draw. I still see more KO's and TKO's on experienced than going the distance but the level like you said feels more realistic and better pacing. I have always felt in sports games that higher difficulties leads to the cpu being to overpowered and frustrating to play and it feels like ratings mean nothing as everything is just ramped up.

# 63 jb12780 @ 05/30/10 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
I have been playing experienced as well and have had a couple of fights go the distance one of them being a majority draw. I still see more KO's and TKO's on experienced than going the distance but the level like you said feels more realistic and better pacing. I have always felt in sports games that higher difficulties leads to the cpu being to overpowered and frustrating to play and it feels like ratings mean nothing as everything is just ramped up.
Yeah its not the greatest cause the KO's and TKO's still happen a bunch, but i think its the most realistic IMO.

EDIT: I know this had probably been said before, but the AI needs to be reworked. Every fighter wants to come out and stand and bang. GSP and Fitch should not have the same fighting style as Kimbo Slice and Cro Cop, but thats how it is now at the moment.

# 64 Illustrator76 @ 05/30/10 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fatigue
Bonner vs Griffen
Liddell vs Silva
Lytle vs Burns
Quarry vs Credeur

just a few examples of absolute wars with people landing a lot of big shots that all went the distance.

Just because a fight is a war doesn't mean someone's getting KO'd or TKO'd. In fact, a lot of the "best fights" that end up being wars with people getting pounded do go the distance.

In this game, that's simply impossible. I "war" in this game is maybe 2-3 big exchanges that result in someone getting KO'd in the first or latest in the early second.

People are upset because it's impossible to have a war in there, and even fighters who are generally pretty weak and not known for being able to knock people out are KO machines.

It's also the rate of KO's that people are complaining about. Even in wars that result in KO's, it's often a flurry that stuns the guy and results in a punch eventually KOing the guy, or as in most fights, a guy taking a lot of shots and the ref stopping it for a TKO. Straight up KO's just happen far too often; the rocked state needs to be activated more often.

Another problem I have is that once rocked, you're almost always knocked down right away a left helpless. There needs to be more control over a rocked fighter and it needs to result in more scrambled on the ground, but it never does. I mean, the game entirely lacks the excitement and pace of a guy getting rocked and dropping and grabbing onto his opponent's leg and trying to pull himself in to avoid shots, and scrambling to try to buy time.

Instead, there's really just a few options. You get nailed and lay on your side just blocking and praying. Or you try to initiate a takedown, which for some reason just automatically clears the rocked state.

Another thing that annoys me (thinking about this game, I could go on forever) why the hell does a guy who's mounted and just rocked a guy stand up and get off his opponent when he can't finish it? Who the hell does that? I always have to go for a sub and cancel it so that I can stand up in range and dive back on him - otherwise my guy gets pushed up and back so my opponent can stand up.

I guess I just don't understand what THQ is thinking with so many of their decisions.

For instance - why is it that I cannot dive into the guard of a rocked opponent, posture up a bit and just start dropping bombs? Why is my guy forced into up position where he stands up and attempts the KO and then again gets pushed back and off if he fails?

And why is it that this year you can't seem to go into that up/down position this year except when your opponent is rocked?

The more I think about the game, the more I realize how much it lacks.

it seems to me that THQ has a tree that basically splits off one or two ways max, when it needs to split up 10 ways sometimes. Each action shouldn't always result in just one or two possible other actions or reactions, there should be a lot of possibilities.
Awesome post, I agree 100% with everything you said. What I would really like to see implemented is sliders. I don't understand why we can't have sliders for things like Flash KO Frequency, Sprawl Success, etc... This would solve a lot of problems in that people who want a Flash KO every match can get one, and the people who want a more realistic Flash KO percentage can get that too. As it stands right now, I am with you in that I am very disappointed because it seems like this game has actually regressed/not progressed in many areas since last year.

# 65 Acedeck @ 05/31/10 02:14 AM
Not having sliders is a sign of a shallow game. It's the second iteration of the UFC series now. I really hope to see it make it into next years game. Any type of simulation sports game needs to have sliders. People have far too different tastes when it comes to playing style.

# 66 eeyor @ 05/31/10 03:06 AM
Although some people attribute the need to add sliders to overall lazyness of the developers, sliders are needed in games that try to attract a wide variety of players. Something I really don't understand is that they have Sliders in their wrestling games. Why don't they have sliders in their "simulation" game? that doesn't make any sense at all. They had a chance to get a head start on EA, but they did not try to capitalize on that. The game offers too less customizability, which might strongly lessen the replayvalue, once EA enters the market.
EA will certainly have sliders.
EA will certainly have a replay function.
EA will certainly have fighter share.
All these things will be things that add to replayvalue of a sportsgame. In UFC 2010 we can't make Instant-Cafs that are on the level of the UFC guys. We can't record highlight reels and share them with others, hell, we can't even save a replay of a nice KO/submission. THey put so much emphasis on presentation, but forgot replays? I can't think of any good reason why.

# 67 LP @ 05/31/10 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fatigue
Bonner vs Griffen
Liddell vs Silva
Lytle vs Burns
Quarry vs Credeur

just a few examples of absolute wars with people landing a lot of big shots that all went the distance.

Just because a fight is a war doesn't mean someone's getting KO'd or TKO'd. In fact, a lot of the "best fights" that end up being wars with people getting pounded do go the distance.

In this game, that's simply impossible. I "war" in this game is maybe 2-3 big exchanges that result in someone getting KO'd in the first or latest in the early second.

People are upset because it's impossible to have a war in there, and even fighters who are generally pretty weak and not known for being able to knock people out are KO machines.

It's also the rate of KO's that people are complaining about. Even in wars that result in KO's, it's often a flurry that stuns the guy and results in a punch eventually KOing the guy, or as in most fights, a guy taking a lot of shots and the ref stopping it for a TKO. Straight up KO's just happen far too often; the rocked state needs to be activated more often.

Another problem I have is that once rocked, you're almost always knocked down right away a left helpless. There needs to be more control over a rocked fighter and it needs to result in more scrambled on the ground, but it never does. I mean, the game entirely lacks the excitement and pace of a guy getting rocked and dropping and grabbing onto his opponent's leg and trying to pull himself in to avoid shots, and scrambling to try to buy time.

Instead, there's really just a few options. You get nailed and lay on your side just blocking and praying. Or you try to initiate a takedown, which for some reason just automatically clears the rocked state.

Another thing that annoys me (thinking about this game, I could go on forever) why the hell does a guy who's mounted and just rocked a guy stand up and get off his opponent when he can't finish it? Who the hell does that? I always have to go for a sub and cancel it so that I can stand up in range and dive back on him - otherwise my guy gets pushed up and back so my opponent can stand up.

I guess I just don't understand what THQ is thinking with so many of their decisions.

For instance - why is it that I cannot dive into the guard of a rocked opponent, posture up a bit and just start dropping bombs? Why is my guy forced into up position where he stands up and attempts the KO and then again gets pushed back and off if he fails?

And why is it that this year you can't seem to go into that up/down position this year except when your opponent is rocked?

The more I think about the game, the more I realize how much it lacks.

it seems to me that THQ has a tree that basically splits off one or two ways max, when it needs to split up 10 ways sometimes. Each action shouldn't always result in just one or two possible other actions or reactions, there should be a lot of possibilities.
When an opponent is rocked on the ground, use the same L2 and the RS like you would for a takedown, and you will dive into guard.

# 68 delspf @ 05/31/10 04:45 PM
Way to many issues to post about this game.
In a sense it feels like the release build wasn't the planned build to be put out. Like something happened in the final that had to be reverted back to a previous build & tweaked so that was used as release.

# 69 NYG_Meth @ 06/05/10 09:26 PM
For the record, regardless of your stamina, it is impossible to escape Demian Maia's triangle switch-to armbar submission. Someone should absolutely look into this. I've only lost 3 of my last 20 online fights, and all were this exact way.

# 70 ManiacMatt1782 @ 06/06/10 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk
REVERSALS need to be addressed. Anyone can pull one of with ease no matter what the situation. Kimbo was reversing me when I was mir and had top mount! Unexceptable
reversals wouldnt be nearly as prevelant if auto transition block was removed. people will go extra aggressive on the reversal due to being bailed out by the auto transition block if they mistime it.

# 71 ManiacMatt1782 @ 06/06/10 09:08 PM
also missed lb punches need a much bigger stamina hit. the fact that people dont gass from big punches is a reason for so many KO's gassed fighters means more shots that score but dont ko.

# 72 jb12780 @ 06/07/10 05:08 PM
Stat decay in career mode also needs to be addressed. If you dont train in BJJ for 2 weeks, you wont go from a black belt to a purple belt. I dont mind stat decay, just make it a little less extreme.

# 73 Phobia @ 06/07/10 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
Stat decay in career mode also needs to be addressed. If you dont train in BJJ for 2 weeks, you wont go from a black belt to a purple belt. I dont mind stat decay, just make it a little less extreme.
I completely agree. Just way to much to deal with and handle in way to short a window.

# 74 mgoblue @ 06/07/10 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I completely agree. Just way to much to deal with and handle in way to short a window.
I wish I could just let the computer do crap for me based on the type of fighter I want to be. I understand giving us so much power with the stats, but I don't care enough to want to micromanage that much.

# 75 allBthere @ 06/07/10 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I wish I could just let the computer do crap for me based on the type of fighter I want to be. I understand giving us so much power with the stats, but I don't care enough to want to micromanage that much.
the main thing to me is that career isn't fun until you're fighting for the title...by then you actually don't suck anymore and probably have some decent moves.

I HATE how they make your start off worse than the worst ultimate fighter loser to ever get in the cage. I'm not sure I can stomach another career since the first half OR MORE of your career you're a real stinker.

# 76 CYST2000 @ 06/07/10 09:21 PM
I really like this game, but a big grip I just came across yesterday was when my career lightweight fighter was going to jump to the welterweight division. In his first fight I got into the second round, when all of a sudden my fighters kicks and punches were scrambled on the controller pad. I won the fight, but now it has my fighter in the welterweight division, but all I can fight is the lightweight fighters.

I just won the lightweight title again, but it won't give it to me. WTF!!!

# 77 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/08/10 01:58 PM
All I got to say is the following things...........

1. Where are my Judo throws and Judo sweeps from the bottom ? Why is it when I play against a Judo fighter he does wrestler throws and takedowns ?

2. Where is the standing kimura, kimura sweeps from the bottom, rolling kneebars from stand up ?

3. Let the real advanced BJJ guys do the advanced submission moves more instead of the boring everybody can do triangle choke.

4. Why can most fighters on this game do a head and arm choke ? When in real life about the only guy who did it was Jeremy Horn.

5. Leg kicks and body shots should do way more damage.

6. How come Matt Hughes don't have his pick up and walk across the octagon slam in this game ? Over all this year is LACKNG big slams like it had it in 2009 UFC.

7. Muay Thai fighters should throw way more leg kicks. Instead all of the fighters in this game throw a TON of punches no matter what their background is.

# 78 Jukeman @ 06/08/10 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
All I got to say is the following things...........

1. Where are my Judo throws and Judo sweeps from the bottom ? Why is it when I play against a Judo fighter he does wrestler throws and takedowns ?

2. Where is the standing kimura, kimura sweeps from the bottom, rolling kneebars from stand up ?

3. Let the real advanced BJJ guys do the advanced submission moves more instead of the boring everybody can do triangle choke.

4. Why can most fighters on this game do a head and arm choke ? When in real life about the only guy who did it was Jeremy Horn.

5. Leg kicks and body shots should do way more damage.

6. How come Matt Hughes don't have his pick up and walk across the octagon slam in this game ? Over all this year is LACKNG big slams like it had it in 2009 UFC.

7. Muay Thai fighters should throw way more leg kicks. Instead all of the fighters in this game throw a TON of punches no matter what their background is.

Yeah with UFC 2009, they really had a chance to take a whole different path from SvR with 2010, instead they took the same route...Both games are basically having the same problems..

No strategy in SvR, No strategy in UCF 2010

Heh, the one hitter quiter punches = ending a match from a clotheslines

2009 may be a lil better in the gameplay department but that game lacked ALOT, however if got a pass because of its potential...Instead of THQ building on the potential of UFC 2009, they decided to regress with the release of UFC 2010

# 79 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/08/10 04:55 PM
Yeah I don't understand that either. They had a solid base last year. This year it looks like they scrapped that base and built a brand new BS base. If they keep the base from 2009 and combine that with all the new moves from this year, it would be one hell of a game.

# 80 RebelBuckeye @ 06/24/10 07:31 PM
Whatever happened to this poor guy? Not being sarcastic, I think he meant well.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.