Home
Backbreaker News Post

Pastapadre has posted his early impressions of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"All games have been played on Pro-Hard (the highest difficulty). Needless to say I’m not sure anyone will lose to the CPU even on the toughest setting. I don’t consider myself good at this game yet, I’d maybe say I’m decent, but if I played the CPU 100 times I’m confident I would beat them 100 times. The ineptness on offense even from the best offensive squads is startling.

Being able to stretch out the quarters did seem to help as the CPU does not make mistakes at quite the same rate. The way the CPU threw INTs in the demo would have meant 10+ INTs in a game with five minute quarters. So far I’m seeing an average of about five INTs by the CPU per game with five minute quarters. The INTs were my biggest concern going in but along with that has been the inability of the CPU to move the ball on offense and put points on the board.

The first full game I played was with a mediocre Seattle defense up against one of the best teams in the game New England. You can look at the stats below. Given it was my first time through I wouldn’t expect to be able to beat a good team on the hardest difficulty but I did so with ease. New England has one of the better offenses and threw seven picks. They got one big pass play when an AI controlled DB played a throw poorly and they took it the distance."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Buckeyes_Doc @ 05/28/10 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Yes, pasta had some valid points, but I cant help but wonder how the review would have read if it had been another game, and what the ending score might have been. I have a feeling it would be 2 pages of positives, and these negative issues would be squeezed in a small paragraph somewhere.

My point is, I dont feel any credit was given to what this game has done right, and acomplished. The gameplay and physics are simply in another world. Its sad they really got no credit at all.
I highly doubt it. Most of his review was on the horrible AI, which in any sports game is a HUGE issue. Any review that snuck what he said about the AI in the last paragraph would be a joke.

Most of his review was negative, is that his fault? Should he just ignore those things. He did mention the physics of the game by the way.

A lot of people tend to be upset at the reviewer, well what about the game they are reviewing?

# 22 mestevo @ 05/28/10 11:01 PM
Quote:
Yes, pasta had some valid points, but I cant help but wonder how the review would have read if it had been another game, and what the ending score might have been. I have a feeling it would be 2 pages of positives, and these negative issues would be squeezed in a small paragraph somewhere.

My point is, I dont feel any credit was given to what this game has done right, and acomplished. The gameplay and physics are simply in another world. Its sad they really got no credit at all.
There aren't two pages of positives because he reviewed it as a football game and not a euphoria tech demo.

# 23 Buckeyes_Doc @ 05/28/10 11:07 PM
Quote:
True, he did, but it was really a passing statement, there was no meat to the comment. I didnt look to see when this review was posted, but I cant help but wonder why this review was rushed out on a friday evening. My guess is after hearing of a early release, one needed to rush a quick negative review to hurt sales.

I dont mean to judge, but it is fishy.

I dont think bb is the dream game we all want yet. Im just saying theres a lot to talk positive about. Nothing was really mentioned. In my personal opinion, a agenda typed review. It would have meant so much more to me if it didnt come across as such. Like I said, he's comments were on the mark(yet already mentioned elsewhere many times), just thought the review was written one sided.
How do you know this review was rushed? LOL.

I mean that is your opinion, but it looks like to me your just coming up with excuses on to why BB got a bad review.

I'll say it again. Instead of everyone flaming Pasta, what about the game he reviewed? I would be much more dissapointed if he didn't touch on the major issues of this game and instead just sugar-coated the review and focused on positives only.

# 24 roadman @ 05/28/10 11:07 PM
Quote:
True, he did, but it was really a passing statement, there was no meat to the comment. I didnt look to see when this review was posted, but I cant help but wonder why this review was rushed out on a friday evening. My guess is after hearing of a early release, one needed to rush a quick negative review to hurt sales.

I dont mean to judge, but it is fishy.

I dont think bb is the dream game we all want yet. Im just saying theres a lot to talk positive about. Nothing was really mentioned. In my personal opinion, a agenda typed review. It would have meant so much more to me if it didnt come across as such. Like I said, he's comments were on the mark(yet already mentioned elsewhere many times), just thought the review was written one sided.
I see it differently.

If he didn't hit the mark with some of the issues, then I could see your point. He did hit the issues that others have already reported on already.

So, I don't feel there is an agenda with that.

I just think it's a preconceived notion with some people because of his pro-EA stances.

Plus, it's an early impression, not a full impression, yet.

# 25 JRod @ 05/28/10 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I'm really feeling a strong case of "I told you so". I felt this is what would happen. Everything was too fishy. No media for the longest time. No detailed information about the innards of the game. In my mind, there was no way this was going to come out pretty. Despite that, the demo actually exceeded my expectations for this game.

If online is very solid, there's still a chance this game has a home for some guys out there. I really hope that's the case. The potential here is huge.
Fishy...well if this was part of their marketing strategy then they need to hire some better ad people. They released a demo that has the same problems as early impressions. Reviews sites, including PP, had the game prior to the real release. They put it out there for a small, 1st time game.

It seems, this is a problem of people's expectation being higher than what a first year football game can be. And if I was EA Sports, I would be worried not becuase of the BB's quality but the anti-madden sentiment seems to be larger than most people realize. Heck this doesn't have anything to do with BB, it seems people just want a viable alternative more than anything.

Anyway, I hope BB does get a patch and that we do see additional versions. It would be sad for this game to be killed like APF.

# 26 allBthere @ 05/28/10 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes_Doc
How do you know this review was rushed? LOL.

I mean that is your opinion, but it looks like to me your just coming up with excuses on to why BB got a bad review.

I'll say it again. Instead of everyone flaming Pasta, what about the game he reviewed?
I happen to like it, so did eurogamer. If you're not familiar with his past and his affiliation that's on you. Lets say he consider's the game to be on par with NBA Live 2006. Read that review, and read this one and it will become crystal clear.

Even games that do things undeniably well he finds a way to leave a snide remark just to underhand it compared to his beloved EA.

# 27 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/28/10 11:13 PM
And again I say this a rent first game for me. It sounds decent but with some issues that can be patched. Overall I think the game will be fine.

# 28 RaginCajun @ 05/28/10 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I happen to like it, so did eurogamer. If you're not familiar with his past and his affiliation that's on you. Lets say he consider's the game to be on par with NBA Live 2006. Read that review, and read this one and it will become crystal clear.

Even games that do things undeniably well he finds a way to leave a snide remark just to underhand it compared to his beloved EA.
I bet eurogamer doesnt have any bias towards a European developer right?

# 29 Solidice @ 05/28/10 11:30 PM
Quote:
Thats my point exactly. Where was the positives? Theres a ton of them in this game. A good reviewer gives both sides. If he doesnt, he is just dropping his opinion on people and making them see eye to eye with him. Hes not given facts of good and bad, and letting the reviewer decide what is important.

Yes, he does say, if you can enjoy it, good for you, but the way its worded almost seams like you should feel guilty for liking it. There was no good points that could make anyone wonder if they would like it. This was the same as me going to the other thread and dumping every flaw the game has, and calling it a review.
it's not a review, only first day impressions.

# 30 Methlab @ 05/28/10 11:34 PM
Who cares what that guy thinks? I never understood why a guy with the name PastaPadre gets so much credence.

# 31 RaginCajun @ 05/28/10 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
Who cares what that guy thinks? I never understood why a guy with the name PastaPadre gets so much credence.
Methlab

# 32 DereckM @ 05/28/10 11:37 PM
So was this first attempt supposed to be the best football game ever made? I didnt expect it to be. It has flaws that for sure, but as people always say when we talk about madden "What game doesnt have flaws?".

So anyway it does alot of things better than any other football game to date. Im having fun with it and hope they can get a few more chances to make a better football game. For this to be their first attempt I think they have done a hell of a job.

# 33 Methlab @ 05/28/10 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCajun
Methlab
Do you see me writing a serious critique blog under this moniker? No, I post on a message board. Bad attempt, try again.

# 34 TreyIM2 @ 05/28/10 11:39 PM
Quote:
Uhh, RaginCajun has a point about names, Methlab. Don't throw stones, but what does his screen name has to do with anything? Don't be childish.

# 35 TreyIM2 @ 05/28/10 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
it's not a review, only first day impressions.
Repeat that, please.

# 36 kehlis @ 05/28/10 11:42 PM
Quote:
You told who so?
Lots of people, I saw it several times...

# 37 Methlab @ 05/28/10 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Uhh, RaginCajun has a point about names, Methlab. Don't throw stones, but what does his screen name has to do with anything? Don't be childish.
I'm not. I am simply wondering who this guy is that everyone takes his opinion so strongly. I am reading where people say they may not buy the game after his review. That's childish.

If I was a pro game critic, I would use my real name and not a message board handle I came up with in 15 seconds back in 03.

# 38 CreatineKasey @ 05/28/10 11:56 PM
Quote:
You told who so?

To me, it crushes the ice skating, suction blocking alternative. You never loose in the other game either. Be honest, on any sliders that make the game play well, you would never loose a game. MY record is 305-02. Those 2 games (and many wins) were set to the highest level of difficulty, and the game is broken then. So play with bad AI with good graphics and physics with INT's.....or play with bad AI with bad grapics, and physics with less int's? Hows this any different?
The other games represent football more accurately. No debate there. I should've known this game couldn't hold a candle to established products on it's first try. Yeah, there's some cool innovation, but that doesn't make up for several fairly extreme deficiencies.

I'm not getting into a flame war. I'll just say that what really stings me the most is the inability to share rosters and re-create the NFL. Well... it also stings me that BB's mo-capped animations are pretty terrible. Anything non-euphoria in this game is nothing to brag about unfortunately.

Again, I hope that online is really deep and fun because I do see potential for a lot of good times in that area of the game.

# 39 TreyIM2 @ 05/28/10 11:58 PM
Quote:
I'm not. I am simply wondering who this guy is that everyone takes his opinion so strongly. I am reading where people say they may not buy the game after his review. That's childish.

If I was a pro game critic, I would use my real name and not a message board handle I came up with in 15 seconds back in 03.
Well, that's his choice. Not unheard of....As for people wanting to not buy this after his review, eh, it is what it is. People are impulsive like that. I just know that this stickied my mental BB marker board which has, in recent weeks, been loaded with reasons not to buy this game, already but the board is still gathering Post Its til after I test drive it. I don't blame people who already have doubts about this game to be further put off by it after these impressions but I personally wouldn't go so far as to say I definitely won't buy it just based on one man's view.

# 40 TreyIM2 @ 05/29/10 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
The other games represent football more accurately. No debate there. I should've known this game couldn't hold a candle to established products on it's first try. Yeah, there's some cool innovation, but that doesn't make up for several fairly extreme deficiencies.

I'm not getting into a flame war. I'll just say that what really stings me the most is the inability to share rosters and re-create the NFL. Well... it also stings me that BB's mo-capped animations are pretty terrible. Anything non-euphoria in this game is nothing to brag about unfortunately.

Again, I hope that online is really deep and fun because I do see potential for a lot of good times in that area of the game.
Whoa. Didn't know there were no sharing of rosters, or, more so, no ability to re-create the NFL. Another negative sticky posted on my BB marker board.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.