Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Giant Bomb is reporting Madden NFL 11 will include the NFL's new overtime rules.

Quote:
"Yep, we do support the new OT rules," Madden 11 creative director Ian Cummings told me via e-mail. "We turned on the new rules by default in Play Now and Online games as well because we felt that type of one-off game is kind of 'always the playoffs'…in that it’s always important, there’s no next week, and there’s no ties.

"The only way to get to the default 2009 (and before) rules is in franchise or online franchise, in the regular season naturally."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 TheWatcher @ 06/01/10 04:32 PM
I hope they listened and made sure this is available for Play Now games...

EDIT: My mistake, the article says they did. Not sure how I missed that. I need sleep.

# 2 PGaither84 @ 06/01/10 04:44 PM
I am glad to hear this. I don't know why anyone would want to play to a tie in a play now game anyway. I'm not a huge fan of the new OT rules, but that's not my call.

---

P.S. I like your current signature, by the way, Watcher.

Quote:
Camera issues in Tiburon football games are a symptom of design choices, not technical limits. APF had more poly's, more detail and higher resolution than NCAA 08 while running AI for refs and two sidelines, and it had customizable cameras. If that doesn't show you the real problem, nothing will.
I truly dislike the posts that try to claim "no game is perfect so stop complaining," or "technical limitations," or "disk space." What we want has been done before. We aren't asking for something new, we are asking for a complete product. I'm sure I am going to get a warning for being off topic even though this is a P.S.

# 3 Deegeezy @ 06/01/10 06:18 PM
Hope it isn't glitchy.

# 4 PantherBeast_OS @ 06/01/10 06:49 PM
Nice find bro. Nice that they are updating the OT rule for madden 11.

# 5 Buckeye @ 06/01/10 08:16 PM
Yes!This will help out gameplay

# 6 SouthernBrick @ 06/01/10 08:30 PM
I not sure I like this for play now rules and online. I'll get used to it, it's really no biggie but, c'mon they should at least have something where the 2 players have to agree to these rules or something.

# 7 jewelz1132 @ 06/01/10 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
I think I saw it is available on XBox Marketplace for 400 points.
LMAO

# 8 Purple28Pedestrian @ 06/01/10 09:08 PM
They said the only way to get normal OT rules was in franchise...i hope they make it so that regular season and post season have different rules and not one set for both.

# 9 Tengo Juego @ 06/01/10 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBrick
I not sure I like this for play now rules and online. I'll get used to it, it's really no biggie but, c'mon they should at least have something where the 2 players have to agree to these rules or something.
I bet you change your mind when you play an overtime game for the first time, and give up a TD on the opposition's first possession.

# 10 SouthernBrick @ 06/01/10 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I like the new OT rules for online games. Like it says, it's always the playoffs. Online is always one and done, so the playoff rules for OT fit.

Play Now offline should have a switch though... If you're playing your brother, it's not a playoff type scenario.

Later
No, not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
I bet you change your mind when you play an overtime game for the first time, and give up a TD on the opposition's first possession.
I'm not saying I didn't like it but, I'd rather have it the old way if I so choose to. It's not the playoffs. Yes, you are one and done if you lose but, it's not the playoffs because, it certainly never feels like it. I'm one of the few online guys on here that doesn't play offline against the CPU and franchise and as much as I've played online I've never had a game feel like it's the playoffs. I mean if you win, then what....you go to the superbowl? No you don't so I don't really have that feeling.

IMHO this should really be for offline playoff games and a option for online(and not "forced" to play by these rules). Like I said, have both players agree on the rules or have them be able to find other players who want to play the same way. The only thing a "one and done" feeling brings is another loss to my record.

Nothing more, nothing less.

# 11 SouthernBrick @ 06/02/10 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSainn
Sorry, I've been living in a cave apparently, what are the NFL's new OT rules?
Basically if one team scores a TD/field goal the other team willhave a chance to match it instead of the game being over once a team scores.

# 12 R9NALD9 @ 06/02/10 02:45 AM
Two things, I'm glad it's included...but sad, they way I know EA, they will include this as one of the main marketing ploys to sell the game...sigh...nothing's changed

# 13 WCorpZ @ 06/02/10 09:05 AM
I thought the new OT rule was if u score a FG the other team has one last chance to score, but if u score a TD that the game was over.

# 14 Deegeezy @ 06/02/10 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSainn
Sorry, I've been living in a cave apparently, what are the NFL's new OT rules?
For now, it only applies to the playoffs but the rule is that each team is guaranteed one possession in OT unless a TD is scored.

If the team that wins the coin toss marchs down the field for a TD, game over. If they kick a field goal, they kickoff to their opponent like normal. If the opponent scores a TD, game over...If their opponent kicks a field goal, they kickoff and the game becomes sudden death again.

The league no longer wants teams sent home in the playoffs without getting a better shot on offense. In other words, they don't want Lord Favre sitting on the bench and never getting a chance in O.T. anymore like in the NFCCG.

# 15 Tengo Juego @ 06/02/10 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBrick
I'm not saying I didn't like it but, I'd rather have it the old way if I so choose to. It's not the playoffs. Yes, you are one and done if you lose but, it's not the playoffs because, it certainly never feels like it. I'm one of the few online guys on here that doesn't play offline against the CPU and franchise and as much as I've played online I've never had a game feel like it's the playoffs. I mean if you win, then what....you go to the superbowl? No you don't so I don't really have that feeling.

IMHO this should really be for offline playoff games and a option for online(and not "forced" to play by these rules). Like I said, have both players agree on the rules or have them be able to find other players who want to play the same way. The only thing a "one and done" feeling brings is another loss to my record.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Uh, it is going to be included in offline playoff games-- "The only way to get to the default 2009 (and before) rules is in franchise or online franchise, in the regular season naturally."

I think you're taking the comment made about every game being like a playoff game a little too literal. It's basically just a decision EA made.
Quote:
"We turned on the new rules by default in Play Now and Online games as well because we felt that type of one-off game is kind of 'always the playoffs'…in that it’s always important, there’s no next week, and there’s no ties.
I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with the new overtime rules. I thought it was unanimous that everyone hated the old, yet still current in the regular season, rules.

# 16 SouthernBrick @ 06/02/10 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
For now, it only applies to the playoffs but the rule is that each team is guaranteed one possession in OT unless a TD is scored.

If the team that wins the coin toss marchs down the field for a TD, game over. If they kick a field goal, they kickoff to their opponent like normal. If the opponent scores a TD, game over...If their opponent kicks a field goal, they kickoff and the game becomes sudden death again.

The league no longer wants teams sent home in the playoffs without getting a better shot on offense. In other words, they don't want Lord Favre sitting on the bench and never getting a chance in O.T. anymore like in the NFCCG.
Oh yeah, I forgot the TD part.

# 17 SouthernBrick @ 06/02/10 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with the new overtime rules. I thought it was unanimous that everyone hated the old, yet still current in the regular season, rules.
Sorry if you took it as a serious tone because, it wasn't meant to be. Overall I like the OT rule and have no problem with it really.

# 18 Tengo Juego @ 06/02/10 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
I don't mind the new rules but I prefer the old rules. If a team lose by a FG in OT during the playoffs, oh well. Favre should of been more careful where he was throwing the ball to. He made crucial INTs in two Conference Championship game in a span of three years.

The old OT rules was called "sudden death" for a reason.
The rule wasn't changed because of mistakes by the team with possession. It was changed for teams who never got an opportunity to win, on offense, in the extra quarter.

I'm not sure theres a more anti-climatic finish than watching a battle for 60 minutes and end on a field goal in overtime.

# 19 Tengo Juego @ 06/02/10 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
I just threw Favre in the NFC Championship as an example but my point stands. If a team doesn't get a chance, oh well. If a offense never got a opportunity to win, then that's the defense fault for letting the opposing team march down the field.

I don't think a change with the new OT rule is that big of a deal nor does it require a team to adapt but I still stand on what I said.
Yeah, yeah. Pretty generic response. I'm not mis-understanding what sudden death means. My beef is; it's never been proper rules for the game of football.

Sudden death is excellent for hockey, soccer, lacrosse, sports of that nature. Where possession changes aren't as drastic. While the object will be threatened to be scored a lot of times, it wont be scored too easily without a team getting it's shot on offense, barring a very quick score.

And the new rule change isn't a big deal? How isn't it? It will require an entirely different strategy. Normally you'd want the ball. You want to win that toss. Your season could depend on winning that coin toss. Now, if you win, do you choose to kick or receive? Is your defense playing well enough to be sure that they can limit the opposition to 3 points? Or should you take your offense on the field first? It will require a team to adapt. Just like any other rule change.

# 20 Tengo Juego @ 06/03/10 07:48 AM
I have to say, you're no fun to argue with lol. Humdrum responses have turned me off from this discussion.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.