Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Madden NFL 11 introduces online scouting. Check it out, over at ESPN.

Quote:
"I like to throw the curl route on first down in "Madden." Prefer to throw it to the receiver on the right side of the screen. I have the timing down so perfect in my head that I can usually do it without even looking. Eight yards to open the drive.

As John Madden used to say, "Boom!"

And it's funny, I know my tendencies, a couple of my best friends know what I've been up to for years, but when I go online and play random people, that curl route is still always open.

But not for long.

With "Madden NFL 11," EA Sports is tracking your every play in order to deliver scouting reports to your online opponents. So now, whether I'm playing against a "Madden" vet in Sacramento or a newbie in Denver, all they need to do is order up my report and they'll know my tendencies as well as the people I've been playing "Madden" against since high school.

"Online scouting tracks all of your play-calling and what you like to do in different situations," explains producer Donny Moore. "We're tracking every online game that you play: online ranked, unranked, and 'Madden Ultimate Team' head-to-head."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 MattIntellect @ 06/02/10 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
The fact that it's not in online franchise, even though it would be more suited for online franchise, is one example. I know Ian tweeted that they are working on getting it in OF, but that just makes me wonder, are they still working to get salary cap into OF? The same thing was said about salary cap last year and, to this day, there has been no sign what so ever of a salary cap in OF. So please forgive me if I don't fill my pants full of joy pee because he said he's TRYING to get it in. I fell for that one last year.
No, Ian said that they would make a decision on adding it later as a possible patch or update to Online Franchise. There was never a guarantee that he would try to get the Salary Cap into Online Franchise. It was one of those things that wasn't added due to time constraints. This is a different situation though.

# 82 splff3000 @ 06/02/10 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
No, Ian said that they would make a decision on adding it later as a possible patch or update to Online Franchise. There was never a guarantee that he would try to get the Salary Cap into Online Franchise. It was one of those things that wasn't added due to time constraints. This is a different situation though.
There's no guarantee that online scouting will be in online franchise either. I do recall that Ian said if the demand was high enough for salary cap, he would try to get it in there. I don't know when that changed to they will make a decision on getting it in there. In fact, I also recall Ian saying relax because they can patch it in at anytime, when this place was going crazy over no salary cap. So you can take what you want from it, but I took it as him telling us to relax because they can and will put it in later. Anyway, that's last year and not this year. It's old news. All I'm saying is I'm not falling for the banana in the tailpipe again. That's all.

# 83 MattIntellect @ 06/02/10 08:48 PM
Quote:
There's no guarantee that online scouting will be in online franchise either. I do recall that Ian said if the demand was high enough for salary cap, he would try to get it in there. I don't know when that changed to they will make a decision on getting it in there. In fact, I also recall Ian saying relax because they can patch it in at anytime, when this place was going crazy over no salary cap. So you can take what you want from it, but I took it as him telling us to relax because they can and will put it in later. Anyway, that's last year and not this year. It's old news. All I'm saying is I'm not falling for the banana in the tailpipe again. That's all.
Well yeah, what I meant when I said he would make a decision, is that it was based off the community's demand. If you don't believe that it will be added, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. I understand that you don't want to be "let down" again.

# 84 Madwolf @ 06/03/10 12:16 AM
Should reduce cheese.

# 85 Valdarez @ 06/03/10 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Well for one, having it in-game for access by situation is a huge improvement IMO..
Yeah, and then it even tells you that you're being scouted. The VIP was never available in the game, only before you played. I'm not sure I like that aspect of it, being able to call it up on a per play/situation basis. That's beyond realistic to me. Having that information available in real time makes it a little to easy for the person whose willing to pay $$$ to get access to the information all the time. The person who plays the game and tries to earn the coins will constantly be at a disadvantage.

# 86 splff3000 @ 06/03/10 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_larry
This should reduce cheesy money play's, ill only use it when I play people online with a ridiculous winning record. I like the feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
Should reduce cheese.
Just curious, why do you guys think it will reduce cheese? It's not gonna make your defenders smarter if a play is ran over and over. I'm just curious as to why people keep saying it's gonna stop cheese. I'm being serious because I can't see how it would stop cheese.

# 87 ODogg @ 06/03/10 09:29 AM
Valdarez - Why would the person who plays the game to earn coins be at a disadvantage?

splff3000 - It should reduce cheese because people will know that if they cheese it's all on their record and people will avoid them. With that being said there will still be people who won't care and cheese anyways.

# 88 Valdarez @ 06/03/10 09:32 AM
Quote:
Valdarez - Why would the person who plays the game to earn coins be at a disadvantage?
I guess it depends how many coins you earn per game. If you earn at least 25 coins per game, then it would be fine, as you could buy the scout all. Will the number of coins earned be the same as from MUT in M10? If so, then you're right, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

# 89 splff3000 @ 06/03/10 09:40 AM
Quote:
splff3000 - It should reduce cheese because people will know that if they cheese it's all on their record and people will avoid them. With that being said there will still be people who won't care and cheese anyways.
Umm, you can't scout your opponent until you start playing them so how can you avoid them? Oh and now you can't quit when you realize you're playing a cheeser because you won't get your coins if you do lol. I can definitely see how this can backfire.

# 90 ODogg @ 06/03/10 09:44 AM
Valdarez - I'm thinking EA won't make it so you're shorthanded as you describe, they are not that stupid. It'll no doubt be like this "25 coins from finishing a game = 25 coins to scout the next game" or something similar..

splff3000 - I wasn't aware you had to start a game before you could see the scouting profile. Are you sure of that? If so, that's dumb.

I liked the way the PS2 had it, where you could see their stats online on a PC by looking up their nickname. Then you could look up like "% of times they go for it on 4th down" and "% of plays they scramble with the QB" before you even click on their name in the lobby..

# 91 Valdarez @ 06/03/10 10:12 AM
Quote:
Valdarez - I'm thinking EA won't make it so you're shorthanded as you describe, they are not that stupid. It'll no doubt be like this "25 coins from finishing a game = 25 coins to scout the next game" or something similar.
If it's that way, then it's awesome. The whole coin / online currency thing threw me off. I think Moore must be wanting to implement something along the M$ Points thing in the EA world via the Money for Points, Points for Coins, Coins for 'consumables'. If this keeps up, we're gonna have to work up exchange rates or something to keep track of everything.

# 92 ODogg @ 06/03/10 10:23 AM
So you can buy the full game scouting report or you can buy scouting reports for different areas of the game at a discounted rate? And you can or you cannot purchase a scouting report on someone before going into a game against them? Man, this is getting confusing.

# 93 Valdarez @ 06/03/10 10:25 AM
Quote:
So you can buy the full game scouting report or you can buy scouting reports for different areas of the game at a discounted rate? And you can or you cannot purchase a scouting report on someone before going into a game against them? Man, this is getting confusing.
Per the ESPN article, it looks like you buy it while you are in the game. You can even buy mini reports based on the situation.

EDIT: And now that I read the post 2 spots above, it looks like before. I have a feeling that just means before the game officially starts though and you won't have access to it 'outside' of the game session.

# 94 ODogg @ 06/03/10 10:39 AM
Why can't EA understand that we all want to know WHO WE ARE PLAYING *BEFORE* we play them????

# 95 ODogg @ 06/03/10 10:45 AM
Amen to that, it's not scouting, it's gameplan adjusting.

# 96 splff3000 @ 06/03/10 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I have a feeling that just means before the game officially starts though and you won't have access to it 'outside' of the game session.
That's the way that I read it.

If you all look at the pics, you buy it DURING the game. Right below the first box it says:

Scout Full Game, 25 Reports.
Balance 520 Reports

If you look at the time in the first pic, there is 2:38 left in the 1st qtr. All this is in game. That's why the "You Have Been Scouted!" stuff pops up.

# 97 splff3000 @ 06/03/10 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
Can it even be considered scouting if it's only occurring during the game?

Pregame scouting has to be included if the feature makes it into online franchise. You scout, then you have the option of adjusting your gameplan.

If you can't adjust your gameplan based on scouting, then it kinda defeats the purpose.
That's what I've been saying. Now if you could change your gameplan midgame, then it wouldn't be a problem, but since you're stuck with the gameplan you go in with, the effect of scouting is very limited. As for OF, I think this should be standard for that. Imagine if you had all of this info on your opponent before you played a game against him in OF. Oh man that would be awesome!!!!

# 98 splff3000 @ 06/03/10 11:17 AM
Quote:
But how do you unlock these scouting reports? "Madden" producer Phil Frazier provides the details: "Scouting is a consumable. So you earn coins in every online game that you play as long as you don't quit or disconnect. You can then spend these coins on scouting reports or other things within the game (gamers will also be able to use real money to buy coin packs or scouting packs, but the prices are not final). It's the same economy that drives 'Madden Ultimate Team.' So you can literally be playing 'Madden Ultimate Team' online, earn some coins, then turn around and either buy a pack of cards or a scouting pack. The economy drives a lot more this year than just 'Madden Ultimate Team, but we're not talking dollars per scouting report here. You're earning these coins by playing 'Madden' online, so this isn't a money-grab for us. This is about building up your online skills. We're trying to provide a competitive advantage and we're presenting it to you in a way that's authentic to the sport of football.'"
OK I just re-read the article and this whole paragraph stands out to me to me. The main thing that I am wondering about is what does he mean by "other things" within the game. What could "other things" be?

The second thing I'm wondering about is the last part that's in bold.

Quote:
We're trying to provide a competitive advantage and we're presenting it to you in a way that's authentic to the sport of football.'"
They're saying scouting is authentic to football, but then they say it's only for online head to head games. WTH? They know it's a part of football, but they still only put it in one mode? On top of that, even though they know it's a part of football, you have to earn the right to use it lol. **sigh** I guess I shouldn't have read the article again lol.

# 99 Valdarez @ 06/03/10 11:51 AM
Quote:
On top of that, even though they know it's a part of football, you have to earn the right to use it lol. **sigh** I guess I shouldn't have read the article again lol.
What you don't realize is that when the pats went 18-1 they simply had more coins than the other NFL teams. Pats ran out of coins in the Super Bowl, where as the Giants saved all their coins for it.

New Madden Slogan. All Your Coin Belong To Us!

# 100 huskerwr38 @ 06/03/10 11:55 AM
Quote:
OK I just re-read the article and this whole paragraph stands out to me to me. The main thing that I am wondering about is what does he mean by "other things" within the game. What could "other things" be?

The second thing I'm wondering about is the last part that's in bold.

They're saying scouting is authentic to football, but then they say it's only for online head to head games. WTH? They know it's a part of football, but they still only put it in one mode? On top of that, even though they know it's a part of football, you have to earn the right to use it lol. **sigh** I guess I shouldn't have read the article again lol.
Is it confirmed that it's only for head to head online games? Is it at least in the online franchise mode?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.