Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Madden NFL 11 introduces online scouting. Check it out, over at ESPN.

Quote:
"I like to throw the curl route on first down in "Madden." Prefer to throw it to the receiver on the right side of the screen. I have the timing down so perfect in my head that I can usually do it without even looking. Eight yards to open the drive.

As John Madden used to say, "Boom!"

And it's funny, I know my tendencies, a couple of my best friends know what I've been up to for years, but when I go online and play random people, that curl route is still always open.

But not for long.

With "Madden NFL 11," EA Sports is tracking your every play in order to deliver scouting reports to your online opponents. So now, whether I'm playing against a "Madden" vet in Sacramento or a newbie in Denver, all they need to do is order up my report and they'll know my tendencies as well as the people I've been playing "Madden" against since high school.

"Online scouting tracks all of your play-calling and what you like to do in different situations," explains producer Donny Moore. "We're tracking every online game that you play: online ranked, unranked, and 'Madden Ultimate Team' head-to-head."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 ODogg @ 06/03/10 11:55 AM
That's pretty funny. Surprising Billichek didn't have some coins counterfeited for the Super Bowl!

# 102 Hova57 @ 06/03/10 12:17 PM
there was a tweet from someone on here that questioned ian on it and he said they were working on getting this in for OF.

i hate to say it but this topic is def chat worthy. you think so too. the prospect of it is exciting its a shame you can't change your gameplan accordingly during the game though. even if you go through your playbook during the game and star or delete a star while your picking a play.

# 103 ODogg @ 06/03/10 04:50 PM
I'm not sure if you're talking about me or someone else but I never changed my stance on the "having to earn it" aspect. I think it's part of what EA intended and how it should be.

# 104 CreatineKasey @ 06/03/10 05:00 PM
I hope they don't charge for roster updates or something that was a given in years past. Extra content like scouting = good. Charging for standard content = bad.

# 105 splff3000 @ 06/03/10 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I'm not sure if you're talking about me or someone else but I never changed my stance on the "having to earn it" aspect. I think it's part of what EA intended and how it should be.
How it should be? You should have to earn the right to scout your opponent? Even though teams on all levels of football scout their opponents in real life, you're saying, because EA makes you earn it, that's how it should be. Is that what you're saying? I want to be absolutely positively sure that's what you mean before I go into my next rant.

# 106 at23steelers @ 06/03/10 06:02 PM
Your right. After thinking about it, why should you have to "pay" through money or coins to see what another persons tendencies are. They should just give them to you, no matter what. Just because someone plays more than I do, or is richer than I am, doesn't mean they should reap the benefits of such a simple but useful thing as scouting reports.

# 107 MattIntellect @ 06/03/10 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
How it should be? You should have to earn the right to scout your opponent? Even though teams on all levels of football scout their opponents in real life, you're saying, because EA makes you earn it, that's how it should be. Is that what you're saying? I want to be absolutely positively sure that's what you mean before I go into my next rant.
l understand what you're saying, but from my perspective, Madden needs a system in which you "earn" something. Some sort of incentive to play online, like earning achievement points on Xbox Live or leveling up in Call of Duty to unlock new weapons. The biggest difference is EA Sports gave the option of paying for it with real money and this feature of course is an essential part of real football. I just like the "earning" part IMO, simply because it adds to the replay value and helps people strategically play against others, which Madden has always sorely lacked. I hope that there are other things to earn as well.

# 108 splff3000 @ 06/03/10 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
l understand what you're saying, but from my perspective, Madden needs a system in which you "earn" something. Some sort of incentive to play online, like earning achievement points on Xbox Live or leveling up in Call of Duty to unlock new weapons. The biggest difference is EA Sports gave the option of paying for it with real money and this feature of course is an essential part of real football. I just like the "earning" part IMO, simply because it adds to the replay value, which Madden is sorely lacking. I hope that there are other things to earn as well.
Replay Value? Do you honestly think this will make people play online more? There was a thread on here a few months ago asking people why they stopped playing online. 90% of the people said because of cheesers and glitchers. I don't recall anyone saying they stopped playing online because they didn't have a scouting report. The scouting report is not gonna fix glitches and the scouting report is not gonna stop cheesers so the 2 main reasons people don't play online still go unaddressed. When they find some way to stop the cheesers and glitchers, you'll start to see the online numbers increase. Until then, the online numbers will remain the same.

# 109 splff3000 @ 06/03/10 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
LOL!I guess Im like the only one that read the "killing two birds with one stone post".

What do I know though,I relatively new to OS and just an uninformed,complaining,EA basher according to some.LOL
What's going on, man? You seem to be getting upset over something, but I don't know what it is lol. What does you being new to OS have to do with anything lol? I agree with everything you're saying so I don't really know why you quoted me.

# 110 roadman @ 06/03/10 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
LOL!I guess Im like the only one that read the "killing two birds with one stone post".

What do I know though,I relatively new to OS and just an uninformed,complaining,EA basher according to some.LOL
Well, I know I haven't called you that, yet, but I notice you do like to repeat your posts.

# 111 MattIntellect @ 06/03/10 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Replay Value? Do you honestly think this will make people play online more? There was a thread on here a few months ago asking people why they stopped playing online. 90% of the people said because of cheesers and glitchers. I don't recall anyone saying they stopped playing online because they didn't have a scouting report. The scouting report is not gonna fix glitches and the scouting report is not gonna stop cheesers so the 2 main reasons people don't play online still go unaddressed. When they find some way to stop the cheesers and glitchers, you'll start to see the online numbers increase. Until then, the online numbers will remain the same.
I think it helps by adding ways to find out what your opponents will do. Of course it would be more effective before a game (because of Gameplan), but during a game, it could tell you what your opponents have the tendency to do, thus allowing you to enter into your playbook and call plays based on your scouting report, which aids you in stopping whatever they're (cheesers/glitchers) doing. The scouting report feature won't fix the problem with chessers and glitchers, and of course at some points it becomes obvious, eliminated the need for a scouting report. That issue really is something that should be addressed and that aspect still remains to be seen. I gave you my opinion, not everyone else's opinion and I do think that the cheesing and glitching is one of the main things stopping me from playing Madden online; but aside from the benefit of playing a human competitor and earning a high winning record, what else is there to keep me playing?

# 112 splff3000 @ 06/03/10 08:51 PM
Wait a minute, wait a minute. This thread is getting horribly off course lol. I want to debate this online scouting more before they close this thread lol.

To the new guy , J/K tlc, I'm fairly sure that no one is trying to haze you or anything lol. People are just giving their own opinion and in case you haven't noticed me and Odogg have been going back and forth quite a bit so don't think anyone is giving anyone passes. Me and MattIntellect had a few lines with each other as well. That's what we do. We debate. Don't take it so personal man. The same thing that happened to you, happens to me all the time. It's no big deal. I can promise you it'll happen again too. Let's just chill out and continue our discussion.

Now with all of that said, I am waiting for someone to tell me why they think the scouting is ok just the way it is. I want them to tell me why they feel that scouting, even though it's a part of the game of football, doesn't need to be in any other mode besides online head to head. I want them to tell me why they think it's ok for you to have to earn the right to scout. I want them to tell me why it's still useful even though you have to do it INSIDE of the game. This is what I'm waiting for because, from what I've seen, people are saying it will help with cheesers, but they aren't saying HOW it will help with cheesers. These are things that I would like to know because I can't see how anyone can defend this move. I absolutely love the feature, but I hate everything about the implementation. Everything from the fact that you use it in-game to the fact that you have to earn it to the fact that it's not in OF and so on. So, please someone, let me know why you guys are defending this so much.

# 113 Valdarez @ 06/03/10 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I hope they don't charge for roster updates or something that was a given in years past. Extra content like scouting = good. Charging for standard content = bad.
I'm sure at some point it's going to cost 'coins' to get a Roster Update.

# 114 ODogg @ 06/04/10 09:38 AM
tlc - I am not biased, I have been critical of EA in this very thread about why they don't allow you access to the report before you get into a game with someone. With that being said I've already explained why I agree with having to 'earn' the report. It's to encourage people to finish games. People quitting when they get behind is probably the single biggest complaint about online play. Anything EA can think of to encourage folks to quit doing that is a great step forward for online play IMO..

# 115 ODogg @ 06/04/10 09:40 AM
Valdarez - I don't see that happening as a lot of offline players use roster updates and don't play online and EA knows this.

# 116 splff3000 @ 06/04/10 09:47 AM
Quote:
tlc - I am not biased, I have been critical of EA in this very thread about why they don't allow you access to the report before you get into a game with someone. With that being said I've already explained why I agree with having to 'earn' the report. It's to encourage people to finish games. People quitting when they get behind is probably the single biggest complaint about online play. Anything EA can think of to encourage folks to quit doing that is a great step forward for online play IMO..
They can concede defeat if they wanna quit. Personally, I feel if EA wants to cut down on people quitting, allow people to concede defeat at anytime. I remember one time me and one of my boys were playing online and I had a 3 point lead in the 3rd qtr. Well, he had to go for some reason and wanted to just give me the win, but he couldn't because "concede defeat" was not available yet. So he had to just quit.

I don't think "scouting coins" will keep people playing any longer than normal. Also what about how wonky EA's servers are? I know every year, I have at least a quarter of my losses come from disconnects caused by EA's servers. If EA hasn't revamped their servers, there will be a lot of pissed off online gamers this year.

# 117 ODogg @ 06/04/10 09:53 AM
I 100% agree with you that people should be able to concede at any time. I've complained about this for years to anyone that will listen. I was in a game last week in NCAA when I had too many beers, I was OSU and playing Florida (who of course I hate) and the guy got up 14-0, then hit Pryor and he fumbled and he ran it back and made it 21-0 to start the 2nd. The fact that I knew the game was over and it was getting late, made me think "I'll go ahead and concede and take the loss" but as you said, when I went to the menu there was no option there. So I ended up quitting the game and taking the DNF. It's silly why they won't give you that option any time.

I know the reason they don't is they think it'll encourage folks to quit more if they can quit anytime but it's not going to really make a difference in my opinion. I know most people don't want to play against the CPU but when someone concedes they should just be able to automatically take the win if they desire and finish the game.

However, with all of this being said, I think it's good to reward people who do finish. And giving them coins is a good way of doing that. If you're in a game that's 63-0 or a game like you describe above, or like I described, then it won't make any difference at all, but if I'm in a game where I'm only down 28-7 in a normal situation in the third and I may be tempted to concede, the fact that if I just play one more quarter and stick it out and get those coins may influence me too. And who knows, in doing so maybe some strange things will happen and I'll come back in the game.

But if not at least I get rewarded at the end for sticking around and playing. As it is now there is absolutely zero reason, other than your record of DNF, to avoid pulling the plug and that has got to change. This is a good start.

# 118 theD25 @ 06/04/10 09:59 AM
This is a great feature to make sure the cheesers cant keep playing the same way all game. I know i have situational plays and this feature will be a great way to stop it/slow it down

# 119 splff3000 @ 06/04/10 10:08 AM
Quote:
I 100% agree with you that people should be able to concede at any time. I've complained about this for years to anyone that will listen. I was in a game last week in NCAA when I had too many beers, I was OSU and playing Florida (who of course I hate) and the guy got up 14-0, then hit Pryor and he fumbled and he ran it back and made it 21-0 to start the 2nd. The fact that I knew the game was over and it was getting late, made me think "I'll go ahead and concede and take the loss" but as you said, when I went to the menu there was no option there. So I ended up quitting the game and taking the DNF. It's silly why they won't give you that option any time.

I know the reason they don't is they think it'll encourage folks to quit more if they can quit anytime but it's not going to really make a difference in my opinion. I know most people don't want to play against the CPU but when someone concedes they should just be able to automatically take the win if they desire and finish the game.

However, with all of this being said, I think it's good to reward people who do finish. And giving them coins is a good way of doing that. If you're in a game that's 63-0 or a game like you describe above, or like I described, then it won't make any difference at all, but if I'm in a game where I'm only down 28-7 in a normal situation in the third and I may be tempted to concede, the fact that if I just play one more quarter and stick it out and get those coins may influence me too. And who knows, in doing so maybe some strange things will happen and I'll come back in the game.

But if not at least I get rewarded at the end for sticking around and playing. As it is now there is absolutely zero reason, other than your record of DNF, to avoid pulling the plug and that has got to change. This is a good start.
Ok, I see what you're saying. I don't agree that it'll work like that for most, but I can respect the fact that it'll work like that for you.

On a somewhat different note, what are you going to do when the servers disconnect you this year lol? In previous years, if you play late into the 3rd qtr or hell, late into the 4th qtr sometimes and the server disconnects you, you just got a loss, a DNF, and lost time(in your life) that you spent playing. Now you won't get your coins either lol. What are you gonna do then? Now that I think about it, if you want to stay ahead on your coins, you're going to have to finish those blowout games because I'm 100% sure there will be some server side disconnects. If you started scouting in the game, you'll lose those too. You lost the coins that you spent scouting in-game and you lose the coins that you would have got if you finished the game. That's a double whammy!!

# 120 AsG1989 @ 06/04/10 12:59 PM
sounds cool

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.