Home
NHL 11 News Post

Gamespot has just posted their hands-on impressions of NHL 11. New physics, huge hits, and broken sticks promise to have a big impact in EA Sports' upcoming hockey game.

Quote:
"Elsewhere, the development team is extending the control a player will have with the right stick by completely overhauling the face-off system, which Ramjagsingh calls the number-one request from NHL series fans. Now, you'll have multiple options when squaring off in the circle, including whether you choose to use a forehand or backhand grip on your stick before the puck drops. By pushing forward with the right stick, you push at your opponent's stick, and by pushing back, you'll swipe for the puck once it hits the ice. You can even push your opponent off the puck once it drops by pushing forward with the left stick and take a quick shot off a face-off pass by pushing forward with the right stick.

Finally, there is one other detail that should please hockey fans: Broken sticks are in NHL 11. They won't occur in every game you play, but they'll be frequent enough to make the game realistic. If a player loses a stick, you'll still be able to control him--if the puck gets near, he'll kick it to keep it out of play and even try to snatch it out of the air for high shots. A nearby teammate might offer your player a stick to borrow, and you can also skate to the bench to pick up some replacement lumber. My time with NHL 11 was limited, and I didn't get to experience the full six-on-six gameplay, so I'm very interested to see not just how the new physics engine affects collisions in a proper game, but also how the AI players handle the engine's capabilities. Based on past experience, I'm optimistic that the change will be a good one for the series and will follow up with another report soon. Look for more on NHL 11 throughout the summer and beyond."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jaiman @ 06/07/10 07:33 PM
There's like 6-7 new screens as well, Looking good. Arenas still look a little generic but other than that it looks good. I hope there is an option to fully turn off the puck shadow this year. The small puck shadow option was still noticeable. It would be nice to have it completely off.

# 2 Lubey @ 06/07/10 08:46 PM
Hopefully when there's slashing penalties sometimes sticks break.

# 3 boritter @ 06/07/10 09:21 PM
Quote:
Now, you'll have multiple options when squaring off in the circle, including whether you choose to use a forehand or backhand grip on your stick before the puck drops. By pushing forward with the right stick, you push at your opponent's stick, and by pushing back, you'll swipe for the puck once it hits the ice. You can even push your opponent off the puck once it drops by pushing forward with the left stick and take a quick shot off a face-off pass by pushing forward with the right stick.
I'm pumped about more variety on face offs.

# 4 TreyIM2 @ 06/07/10 11:17 PM
Can't wait to check out this new engine in this game and NBA Elite 11....and, most likely, where it should be going to - Madden 12.

# 5 slinger45 @ 06/08/10 01:13 AM
am i the only one who thinks the hits in this game are already way too much....watch a real nhl game and let me know how many humongous hits there really is

# 6 CS10029 @ 06/08/10 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger45
am i the only one who thinks the hits in this game are already way too much....watch a real nhl game and let me know how many humongous hits there really is
Gotta agree. I think a slider for hitting difficulty is in the game though. I can still lineup any forward who skates down the boards 60-75% of the time.

# 7 06woz @ 06/08/10 01:45 AM
Quote:
Watch a game of NHL 11 and let me know how many humongous hits there are.

Oh wait...

# 8 Vikes1 @ 06/08/10 04:22 AM
Yeah the talk of the "huge hits" hasn't really got me too worried about them being overdone...well, maybe just a bit.

But overall I do trust EA Canada not to go too far with this. The hits as they are now imo, are plenty big enough. So hopefully they won't go too much further with it.

It's great to see some more news starting to trickle out now about the game. Man, I can't wait to see some gameplay videos!

# 9 plaidchuck @ 06/08/10 08:41 AM
Quote:
Agreed it seems they keep focusing on these big hipchecks which hardly anyone does anymore.. kind of the same way boardplay is..

# 10 Qb @ 06/08/10 10:06 AM
Quote:
This is where the NDA is killing me... I wish I could directly reply to your comment, as I too don't like to hear "huge hits" when touting the improvements for NHL11. But I think that phrase was somewhat misused. I guess all I can say at this point is that checking will be governed by real-world physics. I saw the results of this with my own eyes and I'm confident it will be an improvement over the animation-based system used in prior years.

# 11 06woz @ 06/08/10 10:49 AM
It's a video game promotion. Gamespot was told exactly what they should emphasize in order to build hype.

Plus as Qb said, the hitting is governed by a physics engine. So it's not like they are adding in "brand new massive hit animations." Nobody here has played the game(that can talk about it) so just because gamespot is saying you can pull off massive hits, doesn't mean that you will see them at every turn. It certainly looks like the days of being able to simply carry the puck into the zone along the boards every damn time may be over.

(ps. Qb that's about as good as you could have worked around an NDA and still pretty much gave an answer)

# 12 jonapaloma @ 06/08/10 12:44 PM
I hope its possible to turn of the broken sticks. I'm worried it can get more annoying than fun and realtistic :S

EA have a way of over doing things from time to time.

# 13 seasprite @ 06/08/10 12:49 PM
Wonder if broken sticks will be in OTP or club?

# 14 bh446066 @ 06/08/10 03:15 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but the "huge hits" line was music to my ears. I'm an NHL Hitz Pro veteran, so obviously I like a little arcade flair to my hockey. I hope (for the masses) that it will be realistically implemented, but freaks like me can go into the settings/sliders and jack it up a few notches to fit our tastes. Hit Stick FTW!

# 15 Vikes1 @ 06/08/10 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
It certainly looks like the days of being able to simply carry the puck into the zone along the boards every damn time may be over.
Now this is music to my ears.

One of my biggest hopes for '11' is that the AI controlled players, User and Cpu, are far more aggressive towards the puck carrier headed up ice.

If not by default...I'm hoping the sliders will achieve it.

# 16 green94 @ 06/08/10 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Now this is music to my ears.

One of my biggest hopes for '11' is that the AI controlled players, User and Cpu, are far more aggressive towards the puck carrier headed up ice.

If not by default...I'm hoping the sliders will achieve it.
Agreed... carrying into the zone was far too easy in NHL10.

# 17 b3organ @ 06/09/10 08:49 AM
^^

Have seen Vikes point that out couple of times.

It's a problem againts cpu but since I've been playing EASHL for the last months I totally had forgot this problem. Even somewhat "mid-level"-teams are able to play some trap (or how you call it?) so it is sometimes more beneficial to dump the puck. I also wish this would be a reality againts cpu.

# 18 RoyalBoyle78 @ 06/09/10 09:22 AM
I want this game NOW!!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.