Home
Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition News Post

*View all screenshots, right here.

DAYS OF THUNDER: NASCAR EDITION ANNOUNCED FOR SUMMER RELEASE EXCLUSIVELY FOR PLAYSTATION®NETWORK

Paramount Digital Entertainment and NASCAR Give Players Their Shot to Take on Characters from the Film and Today's Top NASCAR Sprint Cup Drivers on NASCAR Race Tracks

LOS ANGELES - June 11, 2010 - Paramount Digital Entertainment, NASCAR, Sony Computer Entertainment of America ("SCEA") and Piranha Games today announced the upcoming launch of Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition, a stock car arcade racer that will be available exclusively on the PlayStation Network for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system this summer. Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition gives players the opportunity to go head-to-head against select NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers, including champions such as Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, and Tony Stewart, and the drivers from the iconic "Days of Thunder" film from Paramount Pictures. Featuring multiple single-player and online multiplayer modes, gamers will take the wheel as one of the hottest drivers on the circuit to prove that "you can't stop the thunder!"

"Racing against NASCAR drivers such as Jimmie Johnson and Mark Martin and 'Days of Thunder' characters Cole Trickle, Rowdy Burns, and Russ Wheeler simultaneously is something that could only happen in a video game, and a great way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the film," said Tom Lesinski, president of Paramount Digital Entertainment. "We are pleased to team up with SCEA and NASCAR to bring fans an adrenaline packed, one-of-a-kind arcade racing experience."

In Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition, players will join Rowdy Burns' team as the latest rookie to tear up the NASCAR circuit. With Rowdy as their coach, players will learn to hit the pit, upgrade their ride and trade paint with other cars. They can even "drop the hammer" like Cole Trickle for a boost of extra speed. Rowdy Burns will be voiced by the actor from the film, Michael Rooker, also known for his roles in "Mallrats," "Eight Men Out" and "Cliffhanger." Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition comes equipped with twelve NASCAR-sanctioned tracks, including Daytona International Speedway® and Talladega Superspeedway®.

With artificial intelligence tailored to match each film character and NASCAR driver, players will experience each driver's personality, driving style and maneuvers. For example, players will need to watch out for Cole Trickle's reckless, aggressive driving, Rowdy Burns' ruthless, veteran skills and Russ Wheeler's hot head. Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition features many of the top NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers including Brian Vickers, Carl Edwards, Denny Hamlin, Greg Biffle, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Juan Pablo Montoya, Kasey Kahne, Kurt Busch, Mark Martin, Ryan Newman and Tony Stewart.

"After 20 years 'Days of Thunder' remains one of the NASCAR community's most celebrated films," said Brad Ball, Vice President of Entertainment and Marketing, at NASCAR and NASCAR Media Group. "NASCAR loyalists and 'Days of Thunder' fans of all ages should enjoy the opportunity to compete and trade paint with today's NASCAR drivers and 'Days of Thunder' characters - after all, rubbin' is racing."

"With more than 38 million users worldwide, PlayStation fans are turning to PlayStation Network more than ever for unique downloadable games," said Rob Dyer, senior vice president of publisher relations, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Offering a robust multiplayer racing experience, Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition is a great example of exclusive content that can only be found on PlayStation Network."

As players race to the top of the scoreboard, they will unlock car customization options and bonus tracks.Depending on how players place in races, take the lead in laps, and pick up new sponsors, they will win in-game currency necessary to refuel, make pit stops, and upgrade their cars. Players' driving styles will be monitored by an in-game tracking system, allowing players to be approached by like-minded sponsors.

In Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition, up to 12 people can race to the finish online, log the fastest times on the leader boards, or push themselves to the limit in single-player. There are four different modes - Quick Race, Time Trial, Career, with circuits of varying difficulty, and Derby Mode, where players are encouraged to deal as much damage as they can.

Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition will be available on PlayStation Network this summer. The game is not yet rated by the ESRB.

Game: Days of Thunder: NASCAR EditionHype Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 they call me kevin @ 06/11/10 11:20 PM
...lol

# 2 fightinchicken26 @ 06/11/10 11:37 PM
What is up with Ryan Newman's paint scheme in the screenshots?

# 3 bluengold34_OS @ 06/11/10 11:47 PM
Because I am an idot Nascar fan, and a massive Days of Thunder fan, this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

# 4 Solidice @ 06/11/10 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Because I am an idot Nascar fan, and a massive Days of Thunder fan, this will be a day 1 purchase for me.
looks like your kind of game.

# 5 bluengold34_OS @ 06/12/10 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
looks like your kind of game.
Yours also...lots of wrecking and cheating............zing! I would like to hit the track with you, but it's a PS3 exclusive.

I will leave it at that!

# 6 Solidice @ 06/12/10 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Yours also...lots of wrecking and cheating............zing! I would like to hit the track with you, but it's a PS3 exclusive.
I'm sure you would.

# 7 sheredia @ 06/12/10 07:52 AM
they should do a remake of days of thunder....like karate kid is doing. it would make sense since nascar is so much bigger now than it was back in the 90's.

# 8 yaeger @ 06/12/10 08:30 AM
Instant purchase! Loved the movie and the game should be awesome. Can't wait to drop the hammer on Russ Wheeler's a##!

# 9 beatnik @ 06/12/10 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
they should do a remake of days of thunder....like karate kid is doing. it would make sense since nascar is so much bigger now than it was back in the 90's.
Eh, the market was actually stronger back then. These days a serious-toned auto racing movie is a joke (see Driven).

# 10 sheredia @ 06/14/10 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnik
Eh, the market was actually stronger back then. These days a serious-toned auto racing movie is a joke (see Driven).
then maybe a sequel.....with cruise reprising his role.....making a comeback or mentoring a young driver.

# 11 superjames1992 @ 06/16/10 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
then maybe a sequel.....with cruise reprising his role.....making a comeback or mentoring a young driver.
The sport is so corporate nowadays that I'm not sure if the movie would be that enticing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.