Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

IGN has posted some hands-on impressions of the recently announced online co-op mode in Madden NFL 11.

Quote:
"I spent a good bit of time with Online Team Play in Madden NFL 11, and while I didn't earn any of the boosts in my single game (I blame my co-op partner), I still had a blast playing the redesigned mode. It's miles better than last year's effort, and it finally seems like EA Sports has given players a reason to play together online as opposed to against one another. I will admit that playing as the quarterback is still the most fun of the offensives positions, but they've done a decent job of giving other players things to do (outside of playcalling, which will still be a little boring for those not playing as QB)."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 splff3000 @ 06/12/10 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myownsun
IGN has posted some hands-on impressions of the recently announced online co-op mode in Madden NFL 11.

All I can do is laugh at this. I have to laugh to keep from crying. In the last few days Madden has gone from a definite buy to a definite skip for me. For the first time in my adult life, I will not be buying Madden this year. I have already talked to my boys that I usually play and we have all agreed to just get NCAA this year. I feel like I'm breaking up with a long time girlfriend lol.

I just don't understand this. How can this game look almost exactly like Madden 10 when EA has claimed that they have worked mainly on gameplay this year. I don't understand. It's killing me too because it's like I'm watching my favorite franchise die right before my eyes. Every vid that I have seen looks almost exactly like 10 to me. That would've been alright if they had done something with franchise and/or online franchise, but I can not accept this AND no changes to franchise. Not when NCAA is tearing things up this year as far as changes go. *sigh**

I agree with most everyone hear about the commentary. A few of us brought this up in a thread a few months ago when they announced Gus Johnson as the new play by play guy. We all said that it doesn't matter who they have announcing if they didn't change the way the dialogue flowed. As you can see, we were right. It sounds just as stale and bland as it did when Tom Hammond was doing it.

*sigh* I am beaten and defeated. I come here everyday now, hoping to find something that will make me change my mind about Madden and everyday, it just gets worse and worse. I am still holding out a little glimmer of hope that the vids at E3 will be drastically different from the vids that have been released so far. I am not expecting them to be, but I am hoping they are. If they are not, I guess that will be my final straw. It will be hard, but we all know, breaking up is hard to do.

# 62 TheWatcher @ 06/12/10 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman83
What had happened here???
I though commentary was more like this...
http://www.osatwork.com/forums/showt...hlight=Johnson

Did they cut out most of the commentary? It was so quiet...maybe they were focusing on showing off the co-op stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmst30
I know the commentary has been a sore spot with you. Is it truly possible they spent all this time since last year writing up brand new commentary and they didn't change a thing in how it's delivered? I just can't fathom that they decided to start from scratch with Gus and even listed "completely revamped audio presentation from the booth to the field" as a major feature, but yet they STILL have bland uninspired commentary. I won't completely judge from that video for a multitude of reasons, but do you see it being drastically improved this year?
I remember in the last Gus Johnson vid, I mentioned how good the studio recordings sounded. It really was some high energy stuff. Adem even mentioned that he thought the energy might've be too high. But I also mentioned that how they piece these together is going to be key. Now, I realize that wasn't a whole lot there, but clearly you can hear how some of those clips didn't sound completely cohesive. It went up and down in intensity in a way that just doesn't sound gelled. I expected it to not be perfect (nothing in any game ever is) But I guess I didn't expect it to sound so dead, that's a real shocker after what I'd heard when I was there. But I guess I should've remembered something I said long before any of us including myself knew there would be a new commentator "it doesn't matter who you put in there. If the process doesn't change, we'll all be back here next year complaining again."

Please just let this be a very old build where these things hadn't been worked out yet... somebody tell me this is not happening...

# 63 davep @ 06/12/10 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I remember in the last Gus Johnson vid, I mentioned how good the studio recordings sounded. It really was some high energy stuff. Adem even mentioned that he thought the energy might've be too high. But I also mentioned that how they piece these together is going to be key. Now, I realize that wasn't a whole lot there, but clearly you can hear how some of those clips didn't sound completely cohesive. It went up and down in intensity in a way that just doesn't sound gelled. I expected it to not be perfect (nothing in any game ever is) But I guess I didn't expect it to sound so dead, that's a real shocker after what I'd heard when I was there. But I guess I should've remembered something I said long before any of us including myself knew there would be a new commentator "it doesn't matter who you put in there. If the process doesn't change, we'll all be back here next year complaining again."

Please just let this be a very old build where these things hadn't been worked out yet... somebody tell me this is not happening...
re: commentary...they need to steal 2k's people or go up to Canada and steal their own NHL guys. It has to be an early build though, any producer would be embarrassed turning out a work product like that.

# 64 Purple28Pedestrian @ 06/12/10 08:45 PM
This is embarrassing, I'm not a madden fanboy by any means however, I buy the game annually because it's all there is in regards to the NFL. yesterday and today have got me really questioning my allegiance to this franchise.

It feels like that passing cone V3 april fools joke.

# 65 ch46647 @ 06/12/10 08:48 PM
This has been a very wierd year as far as Madden goes.. Usually the hype train is full steam ahead but this year its different. We havent gotten a blog in over a month, they put out information saying that two of their biggest modes WERENT EVEN TOUCHED, they have refused to release any real uncut gameplay videos unless they say "pre-alpha" on them, and now we get a video hearing Gus Johnson for the most part butchered in the game.

It is like the developers themselves have lost confidence in their own game. It almost feels like they truly want to make a great game and make people happy, but just dont know how and dont have any direction.

The number one example of this was last year they hyped pro-tak as the "future" of Madden and On-line franchise as the next big thing. This year we havent heard a peep about pro-tak and they pretty much said on-line franchise was a bust and didnt make ANY improvements to it.

Edit: It is a lock that this 3 on 3 co-op mode will be a bust, and if I had to guess the gameplan feature will be a complete bust as well.

# 66 Captain_Crazzzy @ 06/12/10 08:58 PM
when will madden ever be good.... sigh

# 67 jmurphy31 @ 06/12/10 09:12 PM
I wont repeat everything that has already said about the commentary, but I was wondering if those highlights from the Bucs game included the pirate ship going off...Which at first glance seemed authentic, but then i noticed they went off twice (for first downs, but not the TD)...if they go off after every first down (which I don't think they do in real life), that is not good and will get old quick...And to piggy back off an earlier thread by the Watcher about cut scene timing...Why have Peterson get a first down and have the commentators talking how good he is but show a cut scene of kevin smith of the Lions on the bench...Just doesn't make sense...My 2 cents

# 68 at23steelers @ 06/12/10 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher

I agree. This was the main thing I was excited for in Madden 11. I don't know, maybe it's because I am an optimistic person, but I have a gut feeling that the announcing will be soooo much better than that video, and will be in the same breath as some of the other top sports games with excellent announcing. They have all the tools and pieces, they just need the glue to make it work. I still have my hopes up, that this is a VERY early build, and that there will be another exciting feature, and during E3 we will witness amazing gameplay and presentation. We will find out very shortly.

# 69 splff3000 @ 06/12/10 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
After watching this,it just seems like EA Tiburon is flipping me the bird!I have tried to be optimistic in the face of all the stuff that has been coming out.However,this video along with the franchise and 3v3 announcement,has just about demolished any optimism I had left!I say just about because I will hold final judgement until the first reviews about the final build.

Last year with Madden 10 it really seemed like EA was going after that competitors disgruntled gamers.I guess after the stuff gamers said in general and the way Ian got treated after Madden 10 got released they just said screw it!

I was ready to make the most of this game and even try to find ways to enjoy the 3v3 online but this video has completely changed that.To me,the script in this video just said "F*** you,if you loved 2k5 so much,go marry it!"LOL

What common sense does it make to "hot route" if a receiver can run any route he wants and still get the ball?That ish is pathetic!From what I have seen,all together,thus far,this year,they no longer have any interest in making Madden a NFL FOOTBALL game.They are out to create some kind of kid friendly,teen clique building,adult strategic capable,social networking hybrid and it's a HOT MESS,IMO.LOL

I said before that with trying to invent their own broadcast camera shots and in-game network for presentation was EAs' way of conceding that the competition just did it better.Now it seems they have potentially done the same thing with recreating NFL football in general,conceded!

Maybe some how some way,they added the missing basics to online franchise and the new presentation is so "shiny" it distracts me from noticing how F.U.B.A.R Madden 11 really is.

Until then,like somebody else said,Im off to the NCAA Football 11 threads.
lmao, but so true.

# 70 maddenps2 @ 06/12/10 10:08 PM
Attribute Boosts online, I see where EA is aiming there game. Also whats with the big "shotgun" sound on completed passes in co-op?

# 71 at23steelers @ 06/12/10 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc12576
After watching this,it just seems like EA Tiburon is flipping me the bird!I have tried to be optimistic in the face of all the stuff that has been coming out.However,this video along with the franchise and 3v3 announcement,has just about demolished any optimism I had left!I say just about because I will hold final judgement until the first reviews about the final build.

Last year with Madden 10 it really seemed like EA was going after that competitors disgruntled gamers.I guess after the stuff gamers said in general and the way Ian got treated after Madden 10 got released they just said screw it!

I was ready to make the most of this game and even try to find ways to enjoy the 3v3 online but this video has completely changed that.To me,the script in this video just said "F*** you,if you loved 2k5 so much,go marry it!"LOL

What common sense does it make to "hot route" if a receiver can run any route he wants and still get the ball?That ish is pathetic!From what I have seen,all together,thus far,this year,they no longer have any interest in making Madden a NFL FOOTBALL game.They are out to create some kind of kid friendly,teen clique building,adult strategic capable,social networking hybrid and it's a HOT MESS,IMO.LOL

I said before that with trying to invent their own broadcast camera shots and in-game network for presentation was EAs' way of conceding that the competition just did it better.Now it seems they have potentially done the same thing with recreating NFL football in general,conceded!

Maybe some how some way,they added the missing basics to online franchise and the new presentation is so "shiny" it distracts me from noticing how F.U.B.A.R Madden 11 really is.

Until then,like somebody else said,Im off to the NCAA Football 11 threads.
How sure are you about getting the cookies, because I still want my cookie?

# 72 i c u cant stop me @ 06/12/10 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayManHCP42
That's the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' first down cannon.
Worng.... not you but ea because ask any bucs fan..the cannon ONLY goes off when the bucs kick a fg or get a touchdown or get inside the redzone thats the ONLY time they go off....

# 73 Tengo Juego @ 06/12/10 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Well, the commentary script certainly leaves a lot to be desired...

That said, Gus Johnson is still about 300x better than Hammond ever was, lol.
He sounds better. But not '300x' better than Hammond saying the exact same things that Hammond did.

Hammond was a dull voice, but was it as much his voice, as the boring, repetitive lines he was reading?

# 74 maddenps2 @ 06/12/10 10:48 PM
He's back to pass, he's rushed by the linebacker, he get's the ball away, he catches the ball, he dodges the defender, he scores, touchdown, he made a great move on that play, great throw by that quarterback as well. The MVP of the game is "HE"

# 75 dat boi Q @ 06/13/10 12:24 AM
after these last past 4 years i am not suprise that com really sucks and they have the nerve to put that on the back as a new feature and most of u have hope thinking its from a early build but ask urself in all the past early yrs has anything change from early vids to final product. NO
and u know whats worse out of all these vids and screens they have showed i havent seen not one new tackle

# 76 DaveDQ @ 06/13/10 12:36 AM
The commentary sounding stale is inexcusable. I was actually thinking the challenge would be to tone Johnson down and not make him too excitable. Instead, the pauses and tone make him sound so dull.

This falls solely on the development team. How do you not hear the obvious flaws and not address them?

# 77 dat boi Q @ 06/13/10 12:52 AM
u know their is not goin to be com before the snap because of gameplan or watevea its called because its plays before u snap the ball

# 78 NoFear @ 06/13/10 12:53 AM
This game is looking worse & worse with every day that passes.

Most of the things that look bad or haven't been worked on are completely unexcusable.

It makes me wonder what the dev team did all year? With other sports games making strides year in and year out, Madden has completely dropped the ball this year.

# 79 Atomic Martian @ 06/13/10 01:04 AM
I was wondering why collinsworth was in none of the videos were Gus was recording audio.... didnt they say last year that hammond and collins were in the same booth?

# 80 HealyMonster @ 06/13/10 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_larry
I feel ya man, I believe they have come to a point where they really cant do much more with this old engine, they have squeezed it dry, I mean how long can you beat a dead horse, you cant make gold out of wood no matter how hard you try.
huh? Go back and play any nfl videogame pre 2005. There is a lot they can do. It appears as though anything they choose to do, they do half way IE Online Franchise, Superstar mode, offline franchise or things they say theya re going to do yet never quite get there: any presentation element. I mean, everything they do is bad. The only thing madden really had going for it, was the idea that this dev team "got it" and it was out with the old and in with the new. Unfortunately, they played that card out last summer and now its time to show us what you got and they did not deliver.

I swear the best marketing plan is to go into every game release talking about this game is good but its a foundation. EA has sold this like no other this generation and Im sick of it. Its Year 6 of Next Gen football. This is the 6th Madden released on xbox 360. THE 6TH.

Im now saying the same stuff for Madden 11 that I was waiting for Madden 08 to come out. commentary, presentation, improved online leagues, etc.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.