Home
NHL 11 News Post

What I liked in this video:
  • Goalies look improved from last year (they seem to actively follow the puck)
  • Hits look 10X better than in 10 and look more organic
  • Broken sticks in play look natural
  • Ice looks more real
  • TSN style scoreboard is way better than in NHL 10
Your thoughts?

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Gossennator @ 06/16/10 04:04 PM
I hope the broken sticks aren't over done this year.

# 2 Russo @ 06/16/10 04:38 PM
how many time does the word 'stick' get mentioned?

# 3 UwantRadie @ 06/16/10 04:49 PM
Also.. what is up with that mic? Is it a boom mic that has been converted? Or am I just out of touch with intervieiwnf equipment? (very possible).

Could the interviewer seem less interested? I mean, I am sure E3 is a little tiring, but come on man, you are working for a game site (GameAhead?) and this is how you present yourself? I got to feel there is someone more deserving to have that job.

# 4 patsfan188 @ 06/16/10 05:35 PM
3:04 huge interference!
I'm really excited for this game!

# 5 jaiman @ 06/16/10 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo
how many time does the word 'stick' get mentioned?
20 times... just sayin'

# 6 The Visualizer @ 06/16/10 05:58 PM
Checking looks good from the small bit that was shown, and I'm starting to realize how much more organic the gameplay will be. Randomness in the checking along with the fact that sticks can be broken/dropped will add a much needed refresh this year.

# 7 plaidchuck @ 06/16/10 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
Don't like the agility.

Still just looks ... wrong. Maybe it was the guy on the controls, but the stop and turn the stick 90-degrees ... ick.
Yeah I know I hate the way the AI just does the "floating spin" moves without any sign or animation of skating

# 8 Splitter77 @ 06/16/10 07:00 PM
i love how the puck breaks boyntons stick when he tried to get in the way of the shot; then madden hands him his stick. Looks awesome.

I read somewhere that there is a stick breaking frequency slider. I think i read that on the ea boards.

# 9 GrandMaster B @ 06/16/10 07:02 PM
He should of asked Ramjagsingh if he and the rest of his AI cronies are going to know what the hell they are doing in the game this year and be out of position all of the time.

# 10 TreyIM2 @ 06/16/10 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
Don't like the agility.

Still just looks ... wrong. Maybe it was the guy on the controls, but the stop and turn the stick 90-degrees ... ick.
Yea, it's apart of the reason why I couldn't pull the trigger on an NHL game in a while but last year I REALLY wanted to get NHL 10 cuz I just took it for what it is and enjoyed the rest of what was going on in the demo. This year, I'll get NHL 11, without question....maybe. Lol.

# 11 Qb @ 06/16/10 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
I read somewhere that there is a stick breaking frequency slider. I think i read that on the ea boards.
That's what we were told at the event. It wasn't in yet for the build we played (I think).

# 12 onlybygrace @ 06/16/10 08:00 PM
Looks very interesting.

Looking forward to some presentation news already. Gameplay was already great so there is a lot of fresh additions to keep it that way.

This is an exciting time of year.

# 13 SwinginAs12 @ 06/16/10 08:48 PM
hopefully that was a hint that winter classic is in

# 14 MizzouRah @ 06/16/10 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
i love how the puck breaks boyntons stick when he tried to get in the way of the shot; then madden hands him his stick. Looks awesome.

I hope so.. would hate to see that happen all the time like it looked like even in that short video.

# 15 Redshirt_EA @ 06/16/10 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
They prolly have the stick breaking jacked up for presentation reasons just like the hitting to show off the physics. I firmly believe they know it'd be silly to have 20 sticks breaking per game. A frequency slider would be the ideal way to go about it though imo.
They had it rigged up with a button combination so it could be triggered on demand, sort of a necessity for demoing something that happens infrequently.

# 16 onlybygrace @ 06/16/10 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
They had it rigged up with a button combination so it could be triggered on demand, sort of a necessity for demoing something that happens infrequently.
But it can still happen from blocking shots right??? Or did that happen solely because of the command???

Well, it looks like it breaks from the impact of the puck anyway.

Also...since its the rabbit is outta the bag on the user-celebrations, can you tell us whether or not there are realistic options for celebrations and that the CPU uses them appropriately so all the chicken littles can set their minds and hearts at ease???

Please???

# 17 Redshirt_EA @ 06/16/10 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
But it can still happen from blocking shots right??? Or did that happen solely because of the command???

Well, it looks like it breaks from the impact of the puck anyway.

Also...since its the rabbit is outta the bag on the user-celebrations, can you tell us whether or not there are realistic options for celebrations and that the CPU uses them appropriately so all the chicken littles can set their minds and hearts at ease???

Please???
Yes, we added sticks breaking from high velocity puck impacts after someone asked about it on Community Day.

The CPU uses generic celebrations.

# 18 Redshirt_EA @ 06/16/10 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Some day it would be cool to have them just do the five man hug and that is it.
I think they do hug in the cut-scenes. Doing hugs right in real-time requires physics... but we haven't got that far yet.

# 19 sharks @ 06/17/10 12:05 AM
Do sticks maintain their size and handedness when a teammate passes it off? Please say yes.

# 20 ianlast @ 06/17/10 12:50 AM
So they've got the physics of bone-jarring, Campbell on Umberger style hits...but have neglected basic things like at 2:58. Harrold skates right in to the guy, and it's like nothing happens. Skating still looks off, like there's zero weight and momentum, and too much agility as a consequence.

When real-time physics is introduced to properly capture skating, then I'll get excited. But for the time being, NHL 11 doesn't look like a first-day purchase for me...and its been at least 5 years since I've said that.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.