Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

On Monday the 14th, the demo for NCAA Football 11 was released on Xbox Live and the Playstation Marketplace, and so far the impressions have been overwhelmingly positive. But some are wondering, is the Demo truly NCAA Football 11? It came out a month before the game is due to hit shelves, so does that mean we put another month of work into the game after that? Yes it does! As a matter of fact, we finished the demo on the 1st of May and finished the game on the 1st of June. In this blog I will address some of the differences between the demo and the final product.

What's Been Done Since the Demo?

The following is a list of the most common issues reported on the demo that will not occur in the retail game:

• On Xbox 360, the Reese's Perfect Play of the Game will not always be the final play. As some of you have already speculated, we temporarily save off highlights to the hard drive during the game so you can view them later, however this is not something we are able to do in the demo.

• The CPU team will now decline penalties.

• Front four defensive linemen will generate a better pass rush. There are many contributing factors to this that have been tweaked. CPU defensive linemen will rush the pass more aggressively and will not get thrown to the ground as often when "losing" to the blocker. Defensive ends will also do a better job of getting off their blocks at more appropriate angles to help contain a scrambling quarterback. Additionally, you can always tune the pass rush to your liking using the AI sliders if you still feel it is lacking (or overpowered) in the final product.

• A major issue was fixed where the sound would cut out and eventually cause the game to freeze.

• Pass defense has been greatly improved, both in man and zone coverage assignments. They will do a better job defending crosses, slants, and the flats in man coverage. Also, deep zone assignments have been improved to defend against the deep pass. Like the pass rush, you can further tune this to your liking using AI sliders.

• Improved lead blocking by pulling linemen and fullbacks on tosses and sweeps.

• Fixed an issue where place kickers were getting subbed out for (usually) quarterbacks on kicks.

• Fixed issue where the commentary would occasionally sound garbled on Xbox 360.

• Dual Stick Ballcarrier Control has been improved, making R-Stick moves look and feel more responsive. Also made some visual improvements with turning and leaning animations.

• Fixed some issues that caused receivers to drop catches they should have made. Again, this is also something that can be tuned further using AI Sliders.

• Quarterbacks will no longer stutter when scrambling and crossing the line of scrimmage.

• Fixed several situations where the wrong team was celebrating after a big play.

• Playcall will not suggest going for a 2 point conversion when it shouldn't.

• In general, we made defenders a little better at getting off blocks. This helps in defending against outside runs and quarterback scrambles as mentioned before.

• Fixed several camera issues on kickoffs, including the one where the camera would not follow the ball on the ground.

• Fixed a broken play where the quarterback would get stuck in his handoff animation and just run backwards away from the line of scrimmage.

• Fixed FB Fake HB Toss play so the quarterback will not toss the ball behind the running back.

• Improved head tracking for ball carriers, receivers and defenders.

• Fixed some issues with auto replay cameras where it was too low to the ground and was not focusing on the correct targets.

• More general tuning was done on option plays to make them run smoother.

• Fixed an issue with playcall where it was not remembering the last formation you called.

• Fixed an issue where receivers couldn't make a tackle quickly after an interception.

• Removed an exploit that would allow for "Rocket Catches".

• Fixed an issue where the CPU Ballcarrier would continue to cover the ball during long runs, even if no defenders were near.

• Defenders will now be able to press receivers when they are in preplay motion.

• Fixed an issue where defenders would turn the wrong way on curl routes.

• Fixed an issue where defenders in man coverage would make a bad direction change after pressing the receiver.

• Tuned some out-routes out of the backfield that were too effective against man coverage.

• Fixed an issue where linebackers would stutter in pre-play and would get stuck.

• Fixed some issues with players bumping into each other during preplay adjustments.

• Fixed some issues where defenders would get caught offsides a lot against the no huddle.

• Fixed the issue causing a delayed whistle in post play.

• Fixed an exploit that disables bump and run after a play is flipped, causing coverage to go back to normal.

• Fixed an exploit that allowed you to consistently recover onside kicks.

• Adjusted CPU AI for kick returns so that they will not attempt to catch kickoffs that are headed out of bound.

• Improved CPU clock management so they will call a timeouts properly to set up a late field goal.

• Fixed an issue where the Read Option would not be executed properly from the hash marks.

• Numerous Commentary Fixes and Additions.

• Various other tweaks and tuning to improve general gameplay.

Thank you again for all the terrific feedback. I hope you continue to enjoy the demo until July 13th, when you can pick up the full retail version of NCAA Football 11.

Source: Updates from the NCAA Football 11 Demo

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 rudyjuly2 @ 06/21/10 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
I don't mind some of the in your face replays, but every replay does not need to be in at a super close-up angle either. Some of the replay angles are down right ugly and useless... I've seen running plays where the camera (low and tight) would follow the ball carrier, then someone blocking or a defender would enter the screen and totally block the view of the runner and the actual run... and I am very tired of the replay of QB throwing the ball, then cutting to the receiver catching the ball. I'd like to see the actual pass in the air or maybe how the receiver got got open to make the catch. They need to add way more variety. It just doesn't make sense to show every replay close-up.
Totally agree. More variety and show some press box replays again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi34
Just about my only issue now that's still niggling me is the lack of stat overlays. I know we get a quick bar telling us what the last play was, but I'd love regular player and team stats, really helps with that broadcast feel, for me at least.
There is no reason that a little ticker by the clock doesn't pop up after every run or catch showing who was involved in the play and the result. Every once in awhile show game total stats instead. NCAA 09 wasn't that bad in this area.

# 62 BoomerSooner11 @ 06/21/10 07:08 PM
cool beans.

# 63 jimkel @ 06/21/10 07:22 PM
I would have liked to seen an update on the rosters too, adding more freshman, including players like Robert Marve on Purdue and Anthony Castanzo of Boston College that are missing on the teambuilder site.

# 64 Crimsontide27 @ 06/21/10 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I like the list, especially the defensive lineman aspect. The only thing that bothers me is there is no mention of them fixing the dreadlocks/long hair missing in the demo.
I am not trying to stir the pot or anything, but for goodness sakes....can you PLEASE refrain from posting about dreadlocks for awhile. We get it, you want them in. Almost the last 1,000 posts of your 23,000 posts have been about dreadlocks. Enough is enough.

# 65 blazer003 @ 06/21/10 08:23 PM
Hmm, I don't see:

-Brought back a reasonable play calling screen from last year that shows you 9 plays so you can actually pick one without scrolling over for 10 seconds.

(PS, I'm estatic for this game, but this is one thing I just don't understand. WHO THE HELL thought this play calling screen was better in any way. What purpose does it serve to make it so limited?)

# 66 clayshime @ 06/21/10 08:59 PM
This sounds awesome...good job EA

# 67 canes21 @ 06/21/10 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer003
Hmm, I don't see:

-Brought back a reasonable play calling screen from last year that shows you 9 plays so you can actually pick one without scrolling over for 10 seconds.

(PS, I'm estatic for this game, but this is one thing I just don't understand. WHO THE HELL thought this play calling screen was better in any way. What purpose does it serve to make it so limited?)
Last year you could see 4 plays at once. This year you can see 3. Is it really that big a deal you get one less play per slide?

# 68 geezmeister @ 06/21/10 10:07 PM
Hell yea. I liked the demo this games gonna be sick!

# 69 Hova57 @ 06/22/10 12:24 AM
they need to watch it with the spin button the player does a double spin once in one direction then back to the orignal direction.

# 70 RamblinWreck21 @ 06/22/10 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBruce
yes.....when you consider you could chose any of the 4 plays shown, so an opponent on the same console would have to look at your controller. this year it is ONLY by hitting A(or x for PS3 guys).....terribly unacceptible, not to mention, not it takes even LONGER to reach a play, ESPECIALLY if it is in the middle of a ton of other plays.
I too think the new play calling screen makes no sense at all. That and the fact that ALL replays are close up are really the major things that grind my gears on the demo. The actual gameplay is fine for me. Sure, its not perfect, but IMO, there aren't any glaring holes in the gameplay.

# 71 seawolves9 @ 06/22/10 01:33 AM
Quote:
yes.....when you consider you could chose any of the 4 plays shown, so an opponent on the same console would have to look at your controller. this year it is ONLY by hitting A(or x for PS3 guys).....terribly unacceptible, not to mention, not it takes even LONGER to reach a play, ESPECIALLY if it is in the middle of a ton of other plays.
Or, you can press LT (L2 I believe on PS3) and it gives you 3 plays, with buttons correlating to them, and when you press left or right it scrolls to the next 3 plays. Another option is to hold A, or X, and then scroll through your plays then release A on some random play. Both can be used to bluff the play call. There was a whole blog on this ha..

I, for one, like the new play calling screen. Being able to scroll through formations (even though it kind of lags), just by pressing up or down is great. And being able to change the way you want to choose a play by pressing LB or RB or L1 or L2 is neat as well.

# 72 seawolves9 @ 06/22/10 03:53 AM
Quote:
oh, I love it except for the whole only 3 plays thing, lol
That, and it's kinda choppy/laggy when scrolling.. Either way, I don't think it's a step down as a lot of people are making it out to be. It has its own advantages and disadvantages, and so did the 2010 play calling screen, but I haven't played that game in so long I can't remember what those were

# 73 rudyjuly2 @ 06/22/10 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
Or, you can press LT (L2 I believe on PS3) and it gives you 3 plays, with buttons correlating to them, and when you press left or right it scrolls to the next 3 plays. Another option is to hold A, or X, and then scroll through your plays then release A on some random play. Both can be used to bluff the play call. There was a whole blog on this ha..

I, for one, like the new play calling screen. Being able to scroll through formations (even though it kind of lags), just by pressing up or down is great. And being able to change the way you want to choose a play by pressing LB or RB or L1 or L2 is neat as well.
The bluff system does make it a lot better but that should be the default. It's a little annoying to have to hold down the L2 button the whole time. Why wouldn't everyone want to use that as the main play calling system?

# 74 blkprince04 @ 06/22/10 07:27 AM
stellar just plain stellar, the game is sounding very promising.........i played the demo and i liked it alot , heads up EA.....

# 75 Valdarez @ 06/22/10 07:47 AM
How many times now has the Rocket Catch issue been fixed in an EA Football game???

Curious about the camera in NCAA 11. Has there been any mention of an adjustable camera?

# 76 o 99 PROBL3MS o @ 06/22/10 08:25 AM
I absolutely love this list and if they truly got these things fixed, this could be a very good game. One thing that I hope they keep in mind for the future is giving us stat overlays this is something sorely missing from sports games in general. In the first generation of games (PS1) they had plenty of stat overlays. It adds a lot to the overall tv style presentation. I really like what we are seeing from improvements to gameplay.

# 77 thescorpio1985 @ 06/22/10 11:20 AM
Am I the only person up so far who would like 85 man rosters my squad is Texas A&M the only thing exciting about my current college teams future is our top 5 oline haul and it appears that once again I will be left out in the cold about some of our impact underclassmen because of a lack of 15 additional slots yeah I know that would not allow all of my hard working aggies but it would give 15 more OPTIONS for who should be added I unlike most of you did enjoy ncaa 10 and i WILL in ncaa 11 but it still makes me wonder what could have been... I FOR ONE WOULD PAY FOR 15 MORE PLAYERS TO SAVE MY FRANCHISE EXPERIENCE but definitely still fill like it SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME ALL ALONG

# 78 UTAllTheWay @ 06/22/10 11:29 AM
You're talking about 15 more players on each team. There are 120 teams in the game, so 15 more on each... that's 1,800 more players in the game. That's a lot of space being taken up.

Don't get me wrong, I would like more players on the teams because then Texas would actually have the 12th best prospect (WR Darius White) on their team. But putting more players in the game means more space being taken up on non-gameplay areas of the game.

# 79 greenegt @ 06/22/10 11:51 AM
I'm having a lot of fun with the demo, so this list gets me even more hyped for the retail. Can't wait!

# 80 KeyDre @ 06/22/10 01:19 PM
Solid list of Improvements. Hopefully they fix the penalty camera glitch other than that NCAA 11 will be awesome

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.