Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Gamespot has posted their hands-on preview of NBA Elite 11.

Quote:
"The E3 demo we played featured an onscreen heads-up display that showed our right and left stick movements; it also featured a shot meter that showed us the ideal release time for every shot we took--but that HUD element won't be part of the final game. Instead, you'll need to rely on the feel of the shot to get the power right. And, you'll need to keep in mind that you'll be able to miss right or left of the basket if you aren't straight with your right stick when shooting. But hey, don't worry: Shooters shoot, remember?

The new controls aren't reserved for players on offense, however. You'll be able to attempt a steal by pressing down on the right stick and move your player's right or left hand up or down by pressing left or right on the stick. Producers told us that tweaked animations and improved player AI will mean that a defender's hand will better track the ball, making it easier to break up a pass or block a shot (the latter of which you can execute by pressing up on the right stick).

Beyond the controls, it's the new animation and physics system that really shine on defense. Player contact feels great, especially if an offensive player is backing you down. It looks and feels like a real struggle for control--a struggle that either player can break out of at any time with a quick spin move or a steal attempt. Forget the player lock on defensive controls of years past, too; in NBA Elite 11, defense will be about quick reflexes, keeping your body in between your assigned player and the basket. On defense, you'll be able to pull off quick side-to-side steps to stop a player from making a move to the hoop, but there's an element of risk versus reward here. If you slide in the wrong direction, you might get your ankles broken trying to get back, giving your opponent an open lane to the basket."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 krazyboy225 @ 06/22/10 04:46 PM
Off to read

# 2 davidrc517 @ 06/22/10 04:46 PM
NBA Live/Elite "looks great" every year when people are doing hands-on previews. When the games are released, the results speak for themselves: 2k is better every time.

# 3 addybojangles @ 06/22/10 04:48 PM
Normally, I would agree with you davidrc517, but with Littman as the producer this year I'm psyched to see where the franchise goes this year...

# 4 eye guy @ 06/22/10 04:49 PM
That was a good read. Carmelo doing his mid-air adjustment looks similar to NBA 2K. I hope they pull it off correctly because these types of things should've been done right by 2K/VC a long time ago...

This means, if all goes well for Elite 11, i'll be buying both for the first time ever!!!

# 5 davidrc517 @ 06/22/10 04:54 PM
I dunno. With Mike Wang coming back and with Jordan giving input on the nitty gritty details of the game, I really don't see how Elite can compete with 2k. The only area where NBA Live has been better than 2k is graphics, and from the screenshots I saw, 2k looks very realistic this year. We'll see though...

# 6 noshun @ 06/22/10 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
Right away, Curry began making shots from all over the floor, despite not having had much time with the game.
If it's this easy... I wonder what shooting will be like with the high 3pt% guys?

# 7 Jano @ 06/22/10 05:00 PM
Nice read, I'm liking that the one on one aspect of this game is starting to improve b/c that is definitely one of my biggest issues with bball games.

Can't wait to hear more about the 5 on 5 game to hopefully that aspect is just as good or better then the 1on1 portion seems to be.

# 8 Rocboyz101 @ 06/22/10 05:02 PM
I really hate how they dramatically change the game every year..they've gotta find something and stick to it and build on it. Hopefully they stick with this physics system.

# 9 krazyboy225 @ 06/22/10 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocboyz101
I really hate how they dramatically change the game every year..they've gotta find something and stick to it and build on it. Hopefully they stick with this physics system.
They didnt change the game... they built upon something that the found and stuck with (live 10)... improved defense... and improved shooting...

# 10 Shawnj86 @ 06/22/10 05:26 PM
ok

# 11 COACH WEBB @ 06/22/10 05:57 PM
I followed the link, but can't find the blog....???

# 12 tabulaRasa @ 06/22/10 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharlem
Mike Wang is not a god of basketball video game.
haha, when EA got WANG , Ea fans said 2K was toast and (like every year by any random reason Live is always changing to be great (this is EAs year every year)). Now that 2K got him back, Wang is a non factor all of a sudden. Funny.
Littman is a hockeyguy, not a basketball guy. They are just trying the littman effect.
And EA puta a TM on everything to make it feel unique. Letīs see how it all plays out.

# 13 bateman11 @ 06/22/10 06:11 PM
where's the article?

# 14 Ermolli @ 06/22/10 07:37 PM
Nice read but I can't see the pics. Can somebody put them here please?

# 15 RayDog253 @ 06/22/10 07:47 PM
Nice read, the defense is what intrigues me the most. I can't wait to get some hands on with the game, and try it for my self.

# 16 TreyIM2 @ 06/22/10 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharlem
All im saying is Mike Wang cant make a video game by his self, it takes a team and if you left it up to me he is a spy. How can he say he dont like EA direction when 2k is doing the same? Now thats funny
You said a bit of what I said a while back on here but not the spy part. MW was just blowing smoke. He probably was even was fired or "forced to quit" because all I hear is a game that continues to get better, not worse, and to now hear that 2K is getting rid of Iso-motion, which is something I have been saying needed to be done for a long time now, and coming up with a new control system that has YET to be divulged lets me know that MW KNOWS that Live/Elite's control scheme is way better. 2K hasn't divulged anything because they are possibly trying to recreate what MW helped build as well as wait to see what EA comes up with so they may possibly copy, to some degree.

Either way, both games have my interest, now, but Elite has most of mine, so far. Waiting to hear more about 2K11.

# 17 myownsun @ 06/22/10 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by addybojangles
Normally, I would agree with you davidrc517, but with Littman as the producer this year I'm psyched to see where the franchise goes this year...
Agreed!

# 18 myownsun @ 06/22/10 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDog253
Nice read, the defense is what intrigues me the most. I can't wait to get some hands on with the game, and try it for my self.
Demo in September

# 19 blingballa333 @ 06/22/10 09:29 PM
Link to the pictures:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...%3Bimage_index

The skin textures seem to have made a drastic change.

For the better....

# 20 Behindshadows @ 06/22/10 09:44 PM
As much as I hate reading more impressions / previews. I must say this one was the best of them all and very satisfying in the information department.

Also the screenshots look great, my only complaint is Derek Rose is still too dark. He's light skinned and they still aren't getting that correct. I think the player models are a nice improvements, and I'm loving the foot-planting during the motions of the players. They seem to really display weight and direction. Overall I'm very impressed!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.