Madden NFL 11 News Post

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 bcruise @ 06/24/10 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymd
It took Revis 10 seconds to get from the back of the endzone to score the TD. So that is basically ~105 yards in 10 seconds (10.2 yards per second)...in pads...during the game...with fatigue. So basically he has the fastest 40 time in NFL history. What the hell EA, is it really hard to not have guys 40 times measure their speed? Or at least fatigue in there? Nobody can run 105 yards at max speed continusuly. I didn't see Revis slow down near the end either.
A few things about this post:

1: Speed Slider/option setting.

2: Check out this blog posting from last year - it's Bill Harris timing a Devin Hester real life run from Youtube and the result is around 4.35 or even faster to cover 40 yards.
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...date-more.html
Keep in mind he's in pads, and not starting from a stationary position like in a 40 yard dash, and neither is Revis in this clip.

3: I actually broke out the stopwatch on Revis the same way Bill did, and got a pretty consistent 4.3 to cover 40 yards in this clip (I timed from the 50 to the 10, FYI).

Now...yes, he doesn't really slow down and (more importantly IMO), it's in the rain. But as for fatigue, do we know whether or not it was turned on for this E3 build? Probably should have been slower due to the rain, but I don't think that effect has ever been in Madden.

# 62 Hollywoods_Finest @ 06/24/10 09:03 AM
is this really madden 11? this looks like 10

# 63 BezO @ 06/24/10 09:36 AM
That was ugly!

Even at half / 3 quarter speed, Revis should plant his foot & shift his body weight to react to that ball. He makes a full 180 degree change of direction. You can't spin on one foot & do that. It's impossibe to read that as a QB if defenders don't have to adhere to the laws of physics.

And the sprint animation is terrible. The strides cover too much ground and gives the impression he's gliding up the field.

# 64 canes21 @ 06/24/10 09:52 AM
I'm a big Madden critic and I think its pretty clear Revis does plant the foot and turn, then jump. I guess I am seeing things...

# 65 Skyboxer @ 06/24/10 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I'm a big Madden critic and I think its pretty clear Revis does plant the foot and turn, then jump. I guess I am seeing things...
No you're not....

# 66 SincerelYourz @ 06/24/10 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
A few things about this post:

1: Speed Slider/option setting.

2: Check out this blog posting from last year - it's Bill Harris timing a Devin Hester real life run from Youtube and the result is around 4.35 or even faster to cover 40 yards.
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...date-more.html
Keep in mind he's in pads, and not starting from a stationary position like in a 40 yard dash, and neither is Revis in this clip.

3: I actually broke out the stopwatch on Revis the same way Bill did, and got a pretty consistent 4.3 to cover 40 yards in this clip (I timed from the 50 to the 10, FYI).

Now...yes, he doesn't really slow down and (more importantly IMO), it's in the rain. But as for fatigue, do we know whether or not it was turned on for this E3 build? Probably should have been slower due to the rain, but I don't think that effect has ever been in Madden.
Revis does not have Hester's speed...not even close

# 67 BezO @ 06/24/10 11:04 AM
Quote:
I wish the vid were a little clearer. I can't quite make out what his fee are doing. I'm looking more at his body. What I see is a sudden stop & spin in the opposite direction. No body lean... nothing to show him putting any effort towards stopping his momentum before the change in direction, and nothing to show him pushing off in the orther. And the direction change happens quicker than I'd want. From that, I get the STRONG impression his feet do nothing more than go from a running animation in one direction to a running animation in another.

# 68 RaiderKtulu @ 06/24/10 11:09 AM
Quote:
I don't think he does, it looks like a 170 degree spin to me. But even if he does, there's still a few things horribly wrong.

A. He never looks back at the ball the entire time. Not once. You don't make a leaping catch on a ball you don't see.

B. After he changes direction, he takes TWO STEPS and then LEAPS at the 1 with enough force to land 3 yards into the endzone after the catch. No one gets that kind of distance on two steps.

The realistic version of that play ends with the ball landing about 5 yards into the endzone with Revis maybe flailing at it as it goes past him out of reach, and the TE probably just watching it hit the ground because he had no chance at it either.

# 69 SincerelYourz @ 06/24/10 11:09 AM
i thought locomotion was to correct this type of gameplay? i need more footage.

# 70 canes21 @ 06/24/10 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I don't think he does, it looks like a 170 degree spin to me. But even if he does, there's still a few things horribly wrong.

A. He never looks back at the ball the entire time. Not once. You don't make a leaping catch on a ball you don't see.

B. After he changes direction, he takes TWO STEPS and then LEAPS at the 1 with enough force to land 3 yards into the endzone after the catch. No one gets that kind of distance on two steps.

The realistic version of that play ends with the ball landing about 5 yards into the endzone with Revis maybe flailing at it as it goes past him out of reach, and the TE probably just watching it hit the ground because he had no chance at it either.
Jumping 3 yards is no big feat at all, especially with a start. I can easily jump 9 feet standing still. Also, he does look at the ball. But he then turns his back to it. Thats just cosmetic though. The result of the play was realistic. If EA had a correct head tracking system and he turned the correct way, then the play might look a little better, but it would still be the same result. Out of all the Madden E3 videos, this one is really the only one I don't have a problem with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
No you're not....
Thank you for letting me know who I am and who I am not.

# 71 RaiderKtulu @ 06/24/10 12:13 PM
Quote:
Jumping 3 yards is no big feat at all, especially with a start. I can easily jump 9 feet standing still. Also, he does look at the ball. But he then turns his back to it. Thats just cosmetic though. The result of the play was realistic. If EA had a correct head tracking system and he turned the correct way, then the play might look a little better, but it would still be the same result. Out of all the Madden E3 videos, this one is really the only one I don't have a problem with.

Thank you for letting me know who I am and who I am not.

Aren't the cosmetic issues what we want fixed though? I mean, hell, from a pure results standpoint, Madden isn't usually that far off. If that play looked right - it wouldn't piss people off. Proper head tracking and proper use of animations (or actual physics) would go a long way in turning "DAMN CPU CHEATING BS!!!* into "damn... nice play".

# 72 canes21 @ 06/24/10 12:18 PM
It is definitely what we want, but I was getting the feeling most people were complaining about the result of the play. Comments like, "He turned 180 degrees on a dime..." make me think they don't just dislike how it looked, but they didn't see any slow down or anything and it disappointed them.

I personally think it was a realistic play for a video game. But if I were to critique it, I would have liked Revis to keep his body squared up to the QB, keep his head on the ball all time, get lower to turn around, then actually turn the correct way, and then explode for the jump.

One day we might get all that, but from what I have seen from Madden, this play has definitely been a better one in my eyes.

# 73 bxgoods @ 06/24/10 12:36 PM
Quote:

Your not seeing things.

# 74 K_GUN @ 06/24/10 01:22 PM
i wonder what a 'locomotion' slider would do....it seemed to work for a speed slider

# 75 mr_president @ 06/24/10 02:13 PM
same old madden. that play shows one of the many problems that plague this series,physics do not exist in madden.

when things like this happen it makes it hard for the you to make proper reads on the defense.

# 76 BezO @ 06/24/10 02:25 PM
Quote:
Aren't the cosmetic issues what we want fixed though? I mean, hell, from a pure results standpoint, Madden isn't usually that far off. If that play looked right - it wouldn't piss people off. Proper head tracking and proper use of animations (or actual physics) would go a long way in turning "DAMN CPU CHEATING BS!!!* into "damn... nice play".
The head tracking is cosmetic only. I fully expect a DB in zone to have his head on a swivel and be able to react to that pass.

But the footwork. Though it is also cosmetic, Revis changes direction too quickly for my taste. If he has to plant, maybe even take another step to gather himself before changing direction, and take shorter, choppier steps when excelerating in the other direction, maybe he doesn't make that play.

# 77 mojo6911 @ 06/24/10 03:14 PM
Quote:

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. I see exactly what you see. He is on a full sprint in one direction towards the RB in the flat, not even looking at the ball, then stops,turns around about 170* to the left, and takes 3 steps and jumps higher than Michael Jordan perfect in position to catch the ball. Gimme a break. You can't turn your back to the ball (if he ever saw it to begin with) and time a jump to be in perfect position to intercept it like that.

Here are some real life examples:

Notice he is looking in the backfield the whole time and is already square to the ball.

This looks similar to the animation, but notice the CB doesn't change direction. He running the same direction the whole time and there is a good 3 seconds from the time he turns his back to the ball to the time he picks it off. The key is that he switched directions BEFORE the ball was in flight, not after it is already out of the QB's hands.

# 78 bxgoods @ 06/24/10 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo6911
I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. I see exactly what you see. He is on a full sprint in one direction towards the RB in the flat, not even looking at the ball, then stops,turns around about 170* to the left, and takes 3 steps and jumps higher than Michael Jordan perfect in position to catch the ball. Gimme a break. You can't turn your back to the ball (if he ever saw it to begin with) and time a jump to be in perfect position to intercept it like that.

Here are some real life examples:

Notice he is looking in the backfield the whole time and is already square to the ball.

This looks similar to the animation, but notice the CB doesn't change direction. He running the same direction the whole time and there is a good 3 seconds from the time he turns his back to the ball to the time he picks it off. The key is that he switched directions BEFORE the ball was in flight, not after it is already out of the QB's hands.

Revis was strafing with the RB out of the back field. You people act like Revis wasn't facing the QB at all.

He could of easily of been looking at the QB with the corner of his eye.
He's D'ing a RB, and he's an elite CB, do you honestly believe if that happened in real life, Revis would not be keeping his eye on both the RB and QB. And that side of the field was his assignment in a Zone Defense.
Its not hard for an elite CB to make Michael Jordan Catches on a wobler from a QB. If the ball was a bullet and he made that catch I would be upset, but not on a floating duck.

The only issue I have with the play is he turned the wrong direction, in real life, he wouldn't of done a 180 to make that catch. He would of just faced forward the whole time.

# 79 BezO @ 06/24/10 04:04 PM
And I'm sure most don't read coverage like this in a video game, but I do. A nearby DB that is not aware of when the ball is thrown = not covered, especially if he's headed in the wrong direction. So I guess the ball awareness is more than a cosmetic issue for me, even with a DB playing zone. I've thrown many interceptions because the DB shouldn't have been aware of the ball in time to make a play.

# 80 canes21 @ 06/24/10 04:12 PM
I keep rewatching it and I am just going to say you are not going to be able to change my opinion. Revis was playing a flat zone it looked like and stayed in his zone. Then once the ball was thrown, he took a whole second to get turned around, then another whole second to run and jump. Thats enough time to me. It may not have looked as pretty as possible, but that doesn't mean its unrealistic.

If the ball wasn't a duck and Revis was sprinting full speed and then turned and made the catch, then I would be a bit upset. But when the pass is just wobbling through the air at a slow pace, its okay. Also, I have seen people talk about Revis' jump. Whats so unrealistic about it. It appears to me he is maybe 3 feet off the ground at the max. I'd say more lik 30 inches. Thats not really a lot for a NFL player to jump from a running start. I'd say 99% of college DB's can get 30+ inches on their vertical and thats taken from a standstill.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.