Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

We now have access to two individuals who are working hard at putting EA's NBA series back to where it was. I'd like to give a warm welcome to rEAnimator and stepsix.

They will be here answering questions and sharing ideas to get a better grasp on what the community expects, as well as clear up some misconceptions on the actual game.

I'd ask you guys show them the respect, that should go without saying here.

They will follow up with their introductions now.

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 jordankobewade7 @ 06/24/10 12:41 AM
This feedback is amazing...keep this up and you can't go wrong with elite...bcuz the definition of what exactly elite is ,is determined by us anyways...but yea,this is amazing,don't remember if I've seen it on these forums like this b4...

# 42 Jano @ 06/24/10 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordankobewade7
This feedback is amazing...keep this up and you can't go wrong with elite...bcuz the definition of what exactly elite is ,is determined by us anyways...but yea,this is amazing,don't remember if I've seen it on these forums like this b4...
Nah this is about how it normally is around this time last year Mike Wang (aka Beluba) was doin the same thing.. still a cool experience though especially when they directly answer your question too.

# 43 stepsix @ 06/24/10 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWolf
Welcome guys, for me the AI in Live always was the strongest part of the series over the last couple of years. Court spacing and realistic defensive behavior are already excellent in my opinion. Dont you loose that
You flatterer you. For the record, the AI was re-written completely in '07, making it *ahem* a little rough around the edges. Since then it has been lovingly built upon and improved. There have been improvements every year, 10 being no exception. For those concerned with Synergy's influence, I think we've got a solid understanding now of where it helps the AI, and how it can over-dominate the game.

As stated before we're open to discussion and criticisms as we're still at a point where thoughts and ideas can impact how the AI feels and plays this year.

Not to worry, spacing, double teams, rotations and plays will all be at least as good as they were last year.

# 44 Live_4real @ 06/24/10 01:12 AM
It is a pleasure to talk to the people that have true influence in game development, and I am happy to say, that I am hyped about this year, and the future of the franchise, and I am hyped because I "see" hard work behind the game, and people caring about the community.

PeAcE

# 45 23 @ 06/24/10 02:51 AM
Welcome to OS guys...

Not sure if this is a QA thread or not lol but you guys will be busy over the next few months in here.

# 46 rEAnimator @ 06/24/10 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Welcome to OS guys...

Not sure if this is a QA thread or not lol but you guys will be busy over the next few months in here.
Thanks.

We're finalling a game so busy doesn't even begin to describe it. What's a few hours less sleep

# 47 stepsix @ 06/24/10 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbduces
Welcome guys!! I was huge fan of Live this year and I look forward to discussing the game. I have to ask, has the dynasty mode been touched at all? At least the ability to control all 30 teams would be great!
More info on what's going on with Dynasty & the other game modes will be coming out at a later date. Reanimator & myself are on the gameplay team but there are other guys on here that will be able to answer more Modes questions down the road.

Sorry man! I know there are some hardcore Dynasty heads waiting for news.

# 48 b_ball23 @ 06/24/10 04:23 AM
hello, will there be any technical fouls in the game as well as defensive 3 seconds. Will the graphics be better than NBA Live 10 and will injuries also be in the game.. Thanks

# 49 TUSS11 @ 06/24/10 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsix
You flatterer you. For the record, the AI was re-written completely in '07, making it *ahem* a little rough around the edges. Since then it has been lovingly built upon and improved. There have been improvements every year, 10 being no exception. For those concerned with Synergy's influence, I think we've got a solid understanding now of where it helps the AI, and how it can over-dominate the game.

As stated before we're open to discussion and criticisms as we're still at a point where thoughts and ideas can impact how the AI feels and plays this year.

Not to worry, spacing, double teams, rotations and plays will all be at least as good as they were last year.
Will A.I. teammates react better to what the user is doing? Often times when I would penetrate, a player like Ray Allen would cut to the hoop when he should be spotting up in the corner.fficeffice" />>>

# 50 tpe14 @ 06/24/10 05:24 AM
welcome guys. Can't wait for elite 11

# 51 jordankobewade7 @ 06/24/10 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
It will probably be impossible to program it completely accurate, since I think it depends a lot on the player(s) too. Like you said, the fact that there are 3 defenders in the vicinity doesn't necessarily make it a tougher shot. Also, what if it's Adam Morrison as opposed to a Tony Allen? There's probably also a "fear" rating that players have, lol. I'm not an NBA player, but if I came off a screen and the defender decided to chase me around it, I might be a little scared to pop the shot if I knew it was a taller defender with a reputation of being a good one too. On top of that, a Kobe leaner away from the defender isn't that much harder for him, where as a Derek Fisher needs to be stepping into his shot in rhythm to sink it, even if a defender is right there. I would also think a close out from a shorter player shouldn't have the same effect as a Dwight Howard charging at you whereas you might have it in your mind that "oh oh, here he comes, let me get the shot up quicker".

Where do we draw the line though? Should a Shane Battier make your shot harder compared to a Luke Walton? What if Luke Walton was 2 feet away and Battier was 5 feet away? Defenders have different athletic and defensive abilities. Which shot is tougher from the above scenarios?

It would be hard to draw the line between categorizing a contested shot as simply a defender in the vicinity, the quantity of defenders, and the quality of defenders, and add the offensive player's ability/confidence into the equation.

Guys like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, don't get affected much by shooting in traffic or even with a hand in their face (unless it's a clogged lane and they run into a brick wall and have to throw it up). I'm a Lakers fan and it's pretty common for Kobe to sink a shot with a palm directly in his face. These guys shoot basketballs for a living and don't even need to see the basket. Personally I don't think it affects Kobe if Raja Bell is in his grill and if somebody else is within 2 feet of him. He shoots off double teams basically every game.

Of course, an open shot is a higher percentage, but how much harder completely depends on the player and situation.

I don't want it to be impossible to shoot when there's a defender in the vicinity, because what we see as an "open" shot on TV while watching the NBA is in fact a contested shot most of the time with the defender's hand not being too far from the ball. You see Ray Allen or Stephen Curry curl off a screen and pop a 3 effortlessly and they look open, but in reality if you watch it in slow motion the screen allows them "just enough" separation to get the shot off.

So it's hard to say.
Umm, I was skimming through the comments and I noticed how u put lebron in there with kobe and wade as a good jumpshooter...lebron is not a good jumpshooter...he can make jumpshots,and maybe even get hot,but his bread and butter his whole career has been going to the basket.period. he's great around the basket besides the obvious(dunking)he can now finish with finesse more consistantly and successfully alter his shot and make it,not as good as wade ore kobe but pretty good still.
Point is,he is not on the level of kobe or wade in terms of making jumpers with a hand in his face consistantly. Even wade is a step down from kobe..hell,even jordan doesn't make shots like kobe does...that's obviously because he chose specifically not to and kobe seems to prefer to,or is put in low shot clock situations and is forced to more often.
So in a few words,kobe is the benchmark for this attribute,idk what u would call it,difficult shot,or contested shot as in yrs past.quite simply the defense doesn't matter.
On that same token,sometimes a player is just plain hot,and is hitting everything he throws up,so even for players who normally would never make a certain shot,might make it simply because ANY nba player can get hot...look at dragic when he put away the spurs this yr..so that has to be accounted for also.

And one last thing,LEBRON CANNOT SHOOT JUMPERS WITH A HAND IN HIS FACE CONSISTANTLY FROM DISTANCE UNLESS HE'S HOT...he can barely make them when he's not,and he definetly has a better 3pt shot than midrange,which is unfortunate. Please ea,don't make lebron on kobes level shooting contested jumpers just cuz he's lebron. And I'm not doubting he can do this,but in the control layout pix lebrons chin is above the rim...he doesn't do this in games,so he shouldn't be doing this in "the" game...thx

# 52 jordankobewade7 @ 06/24/10 05:54 AM
And btw,I love lebron,I think he's great for the game...but we gotta keep it real don't we?or um...SIM

# 53 ataman5 @ 06/24/10 06:09 AM
Welcome aboard, appreciated with all the infos you get here!

And i'm happy to back onboard as well; things looking real good for now.

# 54 Hulkules @ 06/24/10 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
For me that fear factor you talk about should be applied to you, the guy holding the controller, not to the virtual player on the court.

If we do our jobs right, and you're controlling the dribbler while a tall, fast, strong defensive player is chasing you, you should feel that fear that you're going to get blocked and that fear should make it that little bit harder to pull off the perfect shot.

Believe me, it's real. I've felt it already. The pressure of the game winning three makes it that much harder to execute the controls and that makes the game so much more fun to play than ever before.
Honestly, I just want strategy to play a roll. I want a superstar player, if double teamed, to pass the to the open man because if they shoot, it would be a much harder shot than (a) the open player and (b) than a single coverage contest.

Proximity has to play a role especially if 2 or more guarding you because if a defender is bodying up on you, not necessarily contesting the shot, it would be extremely difficult to make. More difficult than single coverage contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
Guys like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, don't get affected much by shooting in traffic or even with a hand in their face (unless it's a clogged lane and they run into a brick wall and have to throw it up). I'm a Lakers fan and it's pretty common for Kobe to sink a shot with a palm directly in his face. These guys shoot basketballs for a living and don't even need to see the basket. Personally I don't think it affects Kobe if Raja Bell is in his grill and if somebody else is within 2 feet of him. He shoots off double teams basically every game.
As for Kobe shooting against double teams the result of that showed in Game 7 NBA Finals, he clearly should have been passing out of the double but continued to take very tough shots being closely guarded by 2 defenders. Kobe gets most of his points from single coverage and pick and role, if he shot over double teams all game he would be sitting on the bench. Not good basketball.

Im not a numbers man but maybe globally lower all percentages for contested shots by 10 percent against double teams and shots in a crowd. That way Kobe is still at the top of the list and is still able to make one of these shots and not at a high clip, otherwise why would you bother passing the ball.

Ultimately there has to be punishment for taking these bad shots when being closely guarded on double teams and in crowded situations.

# 55 StriderNo9 @ 06/24/10 09:11 AM
Hey guys so far so good, the game looks like you are giving it the MVP treatment.

My question goes to layups vs dunks, will we be able to choose which we do or will it depend on the distant we are from the ring and who we are controlling?

For example if I am Kobe can I choose to lay it in, or because Kobe is a dunker only dunk when in the lain?

I would like to control which I do. Thanks fellas.

# 56 loadleft @ 06/24/10 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
That's a good question and since this part of the game hasn't been locked down yet I'd like to hear what you guys think.

If a guy is in front of you with his hand in your face that should definitely make the shot harder. No question. That is obvious.

If there are two two guys in front of you how much of a difference does that make?

What if one is in front and one is behind?

What if there is a guy in front of you, a guy to your left but you are fading to the right? Does the guy to the left influence the difficulty of the shot, or is the fact that you are fading away from him take care of the difficulty he would introduce?

We'll definitely make contested shot more difficult. As it gets more complicated than that we'll have to play around with different options and see what feels right. But I'm curious what you think.
In my opinion, the answer to your question is multiple defenders, even one not in position to directly challenge the shot, still affect it to some degree. With defense it's basically impossible to actually effect a shot or stop a person from scoring unless you block it. However one can affect it by taking away options.

If a defender on the left causes you to fade right he's taken the left option away AND by taking that option away he's made it easier for the defender that is directly in front of you to challenge your shot because he now only has to defend you straight ahead and to the right (in terms of the shot direction).

In my opinion this can be handled from a programming perspective by not necessarily counting the left defender as challenger but more of a boost to the the front defender because it's now slightly easier to defend the shooter and the more options taken away from the shooter the easier it becomes for the front defender, or anyone in position to block the shot, to do so.

# 57 Earl1963 @ 06/24/10 09:31 AM
You guys left the atmosphere alone right? I felt the crowd was the best I ever heard in any sport, and I loved the fact you could change it from reg season to championship.

# 58 brs2305 @ 06/24/10 09:57 AM
Hey and welcome Geoff and Fraser! Glad to see having some Elite-guys on the board once again. It had been great talking to Mike and Steph last year and I see you are already doing a great job answering questions and interacting with us. Hope you guys will have a great time at OS.

# 59 gmix411 @ 06/24/10 10:47 AM
I already asked this in the q&a thread but I would really like to know if mid-air collisions are better in elite 11 because of the real-time physics?

# 60 ParisB @ 06/24/10 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadleft
In my opinion, the answer to your question is multiple defenders, even one not in position to directly challenge the shot, still affect it to some degree. With defense it's basically impossible to actually effect a shot or stop a person from scoring unless you block it. However one can affect it by taking away options.

If a defender on the left causes you to fade right he's taken the left option away AND by taking that option away he's made it easier for the defender that is directly in front of you to challenge your shot because he now only has to defend you straight ahead and to the right (in terms of the shot direction).

In my opinion this can be handled from a programming perspective by not necessarily counting the left defender as challenger but more of a boost to the the front defender because it's now slightly easier to defend the shooter and the more options taken away from the shooter the easier it becomes for the front defender, or anyone in position to block the shot, to do so.
Good idea!

I just don't think a Steve Nash should have an effect on a Kobe draining it in his face, like he does all day every day.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.