Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Sportsgrid has posted a Madden NFL 11 Who’s Overrated And Who’s Undervalued article.

Quote:
"The first three numbers that jump out to us are the 99s (the highest rating that can bestowed on a player in Madden), and this year there are three: Super Bowl quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, along with currently-disgruntled Titans RB Chris Johnson.

Johnson is a no-brainer. He’s the most valuable fantasy player in the NFL, according to our PVR, and easily deserves the 99. And while Brees and Manning have the 15th and 22nd-highest PVR’s, respectively, our numbers tend to favor running backs, since they tend to be more valuable in fantasy football. We’re cool with these as well.

We think Ray Rice is slightly undervalued by the programmers, and could easily be bumped up to a 92 or 93. The 90 is most likely due to the fact that he’s only one year into the league, but we have him pegged as the 4th most valuable fantasy player in the NFL. And where’s Miles Austin? His performance last year easily makes him a top-flight wide receiver.

In terms of overvalued players, there aren’t too many glaring cases. While rec-league all-star Steve Smith had a woefully low fantasy output last year, and may no longer be a “92,” the Madden programmers seem to believe his numbers were due to an unstable QB situation. We’re fine with that."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 British Bronco @ 06/24/10 06:05 AM
Thanks for the link Steve. Should provoke some genuine discussion about current players in the NFL.

I have to say though that this article is a joke. Since when does a player's Fantasy value have anything to with how good he plays in real life?

Coaches certainly don't order their depth chart on the basis of perceived fantasy value, so why should Madden developers or indeed Madden players.

# 2 Shawnj86 @ 06/24/10 08:15 AM
ok thats nice to know

# 3 sniperhare @ 06/24/10 08:44 AM
So now we should rate Madden based on fantasy rankings?

# 4 Dawsons_Creek @ 06/24/10 08:53 AM
Interesting read but I don't care about fantasy and all that.

# 5 JohnnyNutman @ 06/24/10 09:15 AM
im not that concerned about ratings right now... im just amazed that tom brady actually kinda looks like tom brady in the pic on the top of the news section.

# 6 Nickman310 @ 06/24/10 09:43 AM
ya wheres miles austin?! hes a man beast

# 7 Exonerated @ 06/24/10 10:31 AM
Everyone's overrated. No one shud be higher than 95.

# 8 angels eclipse7 @ 06/24/10 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by British Bronco
Thanks for the link Steve. Should provoke some genuine discussion about current players in the NFL.

I have to say though that this article is a joke. Since when does a player's Fantasy value have anything to with how good he plays in real life?

Coaches certainly don't order their depth chart on the basis of perceived fantasy value, so why should Madden developers or indeed Madden players.
I second everything he just said. Could not agree more.

# 9 angels eclipse7 @ 06/24/10 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Everyone's overrated. No one shud be higher than 95.
I disagree and you should too. If 95+ is reserved for the all time greats, Peyton Manning definitely deserves to be up there. And though Drew Brees is not even really a hall of famer yet, he is playing at a hall of fame level at this point in his career and deserves to have that sort of rating right now. However the players are definitely overated in Madden and need to be lowered. Way to many 90s.

# 10 PantherBeast_OS @ 06/24/10 11:33 AM
Nice look at the ratings. Panthers Dwill and Steve Smith on the list atleast. Thanks alot Steveo.

# 11 canes21 @ 06/24/10 12:07 PM
In my opinion everyone is overrated almost. Go the NBA route, or the Fifa route. If I am not mistaken the best player in the world according to Fifa is a 94 overall. Thats how Madden should be. According to Madden, Brees, Manning, and Chris Johnson can not get any better. Thats just silly. Brees has room for improvement, so does Chris Johnson. Manning is really the only one who deserves to be in the high 90's, but still he is not a 99. He should be around a 96 in my opinion and the best player in the game too.

When players are rated 99, they can't really progress much and thats just not realistic in my eyes. You can always get better at anything. MJ could have been a better dunker than he was, but he was still amazing. But there was still things he could have done that he did not.

But anyways, in my opinion Mike Sellers is underrated, so is London Fletcher. Chris Cooley deserves to be in the low to mid 90's and I think Donovan is still worthy of a low 90's rating. I may be a bit bias as a Skins fan, but Mike Sellers has had a good career. He did have a rough year last year, but he still has it in him. London Fletcher has similar stats Ray Lewis yet is always 5+ points under him. At least this year he is closer to him I believe. Chris Cooley is one of the best TE's in the passing game and definitely has some of the best hands in football. His blocking isn't too bad either. And though Donovan does make some bad throws on those slant routes that make you he still is a good player. The guy cab still move, has a strong arm, and can place the ball in tight spots. If anything is holding him back, its injuries and I assume thats what is keeping his rating from the 90's.

# 12 Dramaking @ 06/25/10 02:30 PM
WTF? DRC is not in he top CB? WTF?

# 13 warrior7807 @ 06/25/10 10:07 PM
Sanchez overrated

# 14 steelers1 @ 06/26/10 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
In my opinion everyone is overrated almost. Go the NBA route, or the Fifa route. If I am not mistaken the best player in the world according to Fifa is a 94 overall. Thats how Madden should be. According to Madden, Brees, Manning, and Chris Johnson can not get any better. Thats just silly. Brees has room for improvement, so does Chris Johnson. Manning is really the only one who deserves to be in the high 90's, but still he is not a 99. He should be around a 96 in my opinion and the best player in the game too.

When players are rated 99, they can't really progress much and thats just not realistic in my eyes. You can always get better at anything. MJ could have been a better dunker than he was, but he was still amazing. But there was still things he could have done that he did not.
This is more a problem of how they calculate their overall rating. Just because Brees is a 99 overall doesn't mean he has 99 throw power, 99 awareness, or 99s in all his accuracies and throw on the run ratings. He could still improve in several areas in the game (the accuracies, throw on the run, awareness, etc.), he just won't have his overall rating increase. So it might be that his actual skill ratings are pretty close, but you just don't agree with the way overall is calculated (I don't either).

Since I know they would never get rid of the overall rating or go to a grade system or whatever, I think one way to do the player rating would be to make a 99 overall QB have to have 99's in all the passing ratings, and have everyone scaled accordingly... basically like a weighted average of the skills... a simplified would be where a QB who has 95 THP, 90 ACC, and 85 AWR would be a 90 OVR.

Of course, even if they changed the overall rating, they still hand out 99's too often in the skill ratings. I mean, if a guy has 99 speed in the game, does that mean he literally is the fastest person ever? If a guy has 99 catching does that mean he would never drop a pass and couldn't be better? Shouldn't 99 pass accuracy mean a QB never misses? I know its just a video game and stuff, but when you think about it, it is probably stupid to say that somebody is a perfect tackler, or couldn't possible run faster, or jump higher or whatever. Maybe if they allowed a player to progress past 100 it would work, but that would defeat the whole purpose and would be like the amplifier in Spinal Tap that 'goes to 11.'

# 15 RedZoneD25 @ 06/26/10 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasfavres
Desean Jackson is easily the most over rated player in the game. 91 overall placing him ahead of Sidney Rice, Greg Jennings, Miles Austin, Donald Driver, Marques Colston. I dont see him better than any of those players. Maybe on athletic ability but playing receiver is so much more than that. Its about route running, which he isnt the best at. Its about catching the ball over the middle, which he doesnt do. Its about going up and getting the ball over a defender which he also doesnt do often. Jackson is purely a speed receiver that excels at screens and running down field past the defense but he doesnt get off the LOS that well and his size has hindered him from making plays over the defenders especially larger CBs.

He hasnt even had a year with 65 catches yet. Overall I would say Jackson is a huge playmaker because of his return abilities and his speed but a 91? Madden ranked him alongside Welker, Calvin, Boldin, and Ochocinco! Now ask yourselves if Jackson belongs in that group. Personally I cant put him next to Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Hines Ward, or Vincent Jackson but thats just me. Hes to one dimensional and disappears way to much to be one of the game top 10 (counting ties).

Are you kidding?

1) He was trained by Jerry Rice, who said his route running was some of the most impressive he'd ever seen.

2) He didn't NEED 65 catches to have over a 1000/1100 yards.

3) You clearly don't watch Eagle games, or you'll know only one team has shut him down, the 2009 Cowboys. Stick to your ESPN highlights. Also, your accusation of Jackson not going over the middle or jumping for the catch is very, very wrong. Basically, he DOES do all that, but he doesn't NEED to. They have Jeremy Maclin and Jason Avant as well who are more the down and dirty WRs. However, many times I've seen DeSean go up and make a play when it wasn't there. How many times has Greg Jennings done something to make you say "WHOA! HOW'D HE DO THAT!?"...Not too many.

4) Sidney Rice came out of nowhere last year. Ocho is on the decline, a la TO. Miles Austin COULD be a one year wonder (doubt it, but I don't think he's a HOF-in-making either)...You could just as easily say all of those players are overrated as well (Well, we don't know what Austin is...but obviously not a 90+)

5) My final points. Jackson was the first player EVER to be named to the Pro Bowl at two positions. Not only that, out of every player you mentioned, he was the only one to be voted in as a starter, not an alternate. Fan vote is only 1/3, so obviously the NFL sees something in him that you don't. My last point is, the only reason you see him as one dimensional is because it works (nearly) every time. He has all the tools to succeed, hence his great stats in his short career (would have been better minus the concussion). Whether it be PR or WR, he makes it look so much easier than anyone other than Chris Johnson. It legitimately looks like everyone else is playing in slow motion.

# 16 warrior7807 @ 06/27/10 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4reak
for christ sakes they made the AFC title game. What wasn't impressive about a win on road versus the Bengals and Chargers and up at the half versus the Colts? Plz tell me outside of Sanchez who is vastly overrated on the Jets? Revis 99, Harris 91, Scot 89, Holmes 87, Brick 91, Mangold 97, Woody 89, Moore 88, Jenkins 94 (possibly this one), Leonhard 85(possibly but only by 1 or 2 points). Im waiting
the two you named along with sanchez are over rated. Jenkins missed what ten games? and Leonhard imo should be an 82, maybe 83. no way in hell does sanchez earn an 82 rating just because you made the Conf title game. You had the best D in the league, but that doesnt mean everybody needs that little ratings boost. i wish there was a way that madden could make the Defensive unit play better or worse together, maybe impliment a chemistry rating.

# 17 Senator Palmer @ 06/27/10 12:18 PM
Marshawn Lynch Will Take the Jets In Madden 11

Quote:
When Buffalo Bills RB Marshawn Lynch sits down to play Madden 11, he'll look to an AFC East rival as his team of choice.
Lynch told ESPN he's so impressed with the changes the New York Jets made in the offseason, he wants to adopt them as his team in the video game.
"I'm probably not supposed to say that, but I'm excited to see what the Jets are going to do. I'm real excited.
"Now that's a team that I'm going to pick and play with on Madden. That's real talk."
The Jets added RB LaDainian Tomlinson, LB Jason Taylor, CB Antonio Cromartie and WR Santonio Holmes to a team that lost in the AFC title game last season.
Lynch has been rumored in trade talks for much of the offseason, but has remained with the Bills. He rejoined the team for OTA workouts last week.

# 18 alifeincomplete @ 06/27/10 02:28 PM
Chris Johnson is overrated, but not by much. He's not likely to have another big year. If you question me on this, take a look at every single running back who has ever breached 2,000 yards and then look at the year they had following it. It's a no-brainer.

I'm wondering why in the heck Wes Welker isn't in the top five wide receivers. He's the most consistent wide out in the league, hands down. Granted, it doesn't hurt when you have one of the best quarterbacks in the league throwing to you. I will venture to say that he is better than Randy Moss right now and his ratings should reflect that.

# 19 JMD @ 06/27/10 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alifeincomplete
Chris Johnson is overrated,
Now that's funny.

# 20 Daseffects @ 06/27/10 02:51 PM
I think Jamaal Charles is underated when he got his chance to start he played better than any running back in NFL.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.