NBA Elite 11 News Post

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 BattleTested20 @ 06/25/10 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadleft
Out of all consumers that buy these games I wonder what percentage of them will want to put large amounts of time into practicing in order to enjoy something that's supposed to be a form of entertainment? Also if that number is small what happens when sales reflect that? Is this game going to be for a niche market? Those are things I thought about as I read through the thread and saw some touting the fact that stick skills will be the determining factor. As far as the video...

I am still concerned that stick skills will turn this into something that's not basketball, but I guess if the consumers want that I can always take up gardening. Looking at the speed of the moves and imagining that some will call it stick skills when they figure out how to string together 3 super quick crossovers 4 spin moves and as a result be standing wide open for a 15 footer because no one could keep up with a whirlwind, I feel the AI will conclude that will actually be a good shot and one that should go in. I too, hope they penalize players w/fatigue or maybe even losing the ball like originally was in Live 10 for stuff like that. At this point I am feeling like my fears are being realized though and stick skills are gonna create "and 1 mixed tapes" and there will be no fundamentals. I am envisioning a string of cheese all over the court and then a mastered shot stick producing perfect swishes at the end!
I certainly will! I might be the only one in here or one of the few posters that was actually thrilled with what that video offered thus far. You could really see just how far the concept of "control" is going to go.

It's funny too, because I probably haven't even skimmed the surface of what the developers are going to offer us SIM guys. I just can't wait and appreciate all the feedback and answers to our questions from the Designers and developers.

Keep up the great work!

# 62 NoTiCe_O @ 06/25/10 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTested20
I certainly will! I might be the only one in here or one of the few posters that was actually thrilled with what that video offered thus far. You could really see just how far the concept of "control" is going to go.

It's funny too, because I probably haven't even skimmed the surface of what the developers are going to offer us SIM guys. I just can't wait and appreciate all the feedback and answers to our questions from the Designers and developers.

Keep up the great work!
Your not alone, I'm loving the control this game is giving you, and the fact that it is all manual. I feel like I can really just play basket. The fact that when you put up a right handed shot while dribbling left makes you expose the ball for that quick second is awesome to me. Plus post moves, crossovers, shots .. etc. I'm all for it, and hey if people don't wanna take the time to learn the game, go play the other one

# 63 SacKings1999 @ 06/25/10 07:17 PM
Quote:
Out of all consumers that buy these games I wonder what percentage of them will want to put large amounts of time into practicing in order to enjoy something that's supposed to be a form of entertainment?
I really don't think the learning curve will be THAT bad. I think most mature sports gamers want their games to have some depth, something still new to learn after the first day, you know? And the younger market... kids love to learn controls. I mean it's not going to be like a flight simulator. It's pretty simple... not stick for feet, one stick for hands.

So the learning curve isn't a problem at all to me, in fact I embrace it. Plus until we get our hands on a demo in a few months we just don't know. As ugly as parts of the video looked, I'm still hyped to play the game.

# 64 SacKings1999 @ 06/25/10 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
sorry but this game is awful looking. EA is trying to bring attention to their basketball game by changing the name and making it sound like its going to be different but its still the same bad game, different name.
That sounds a bit ignorant, because this game is still just an early build... an EA staff member has said the game still is missing animations, etc... so of course it looks sort of bad at this early stage. Plus, Live 10 had its problems but it was still a solid game in most balanced people's eyes, so to write off an entire series in a couple sentences is just hilarious.

# 65 Jano @ 06/25/10 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacKings1999
That sounds a bit ignorant, because this game is still just an early build... an EA staff member has said the game still is missing animations, etc... so of course it looks sort of bad at this early stage. Plus, Live 10 had its problems but it was still a solid game in most balanced people's eyes, so to write off an entire series in a couple sentences is just hilarious.
Not to mention the game was being played by two inexperienced users so that will make it look worse all by itself.

This happens with all games go watch someone who's inexperienced at a game vs. one that is experienced the difference is huge.

Now I'm not saying the game will look perfect with a vet player but it will definitely be a more accurate look at the game. 2K10 could look terrible in the wrong hands so Idk why Elite can't be the same.

Its just odd to see someone write off a game completely before they have even played it themselves. Or at least seen it action with someone who understands all of the game's mechanics.

# 66 FearlessKaz @ 06/25/10 07:29 PM
Looks like a lot of the animations were rehashed from the previous Lives'. :/

I may be wrong, but it definitely looks that way.

Was kinda hoping with the new physics engine that the animations would be completely redone.

# 67 NoTiCe_O @ 06/25/10 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessKaz
Looks like a lot of the animations were rehashed from the previous Lives'. :/

I may be wrong, but it definitely looks that way.

Was kinda hoping with the new physics engine that the animations would be completely redone.
Idk how many times its been said, but just to let you know, all the animations aren't in this build yet, its just to showcase the controls ..

# 68 Jano @ 06/25/10 07:52 PM
Well that and they are also building of the engine used in Live 10 so I'm sure the anims are going to look similar in that regard.

I think the biggest change is going to come in terms of the variety and amount of animations seen not so much the look of them.

# 69 loadleft @ 06/25/10 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacKings1999
I really don't think the learning curve will be THAT bad. I think most mature sports gamers want their games to have some depth, something still new to learn after the first day, you know? And the younger market... kids love to learn controls. I mean it's not going to be like a flight simulator. It's pretty simple... not stick for feet, one stick for hands.

So the learning curve isn't a problem at all to me, in fact I embrace it. Plus until we get our hands on a demo in a few months we just don't know. As ugly as parts of the video looked, I'm still hyped to play the game.
You may be right, I don't know and I am definitely rooting for Elite, I just hope they don't unintentionally make it not sim. I definitely intend to buy day 1, but not so much because I am excited as much as I always have bought EA B-ball day one and $60 won't kill me if it's a dud. In my mind all these things they've added could be great but stand just as much chance at being too much freedom. In real life there are checks on excessive freestyle moves and things like that. Gravity, logic, fatigue, equilibrium, etc. things like that and I am hoping they program similar checks into the game.

# 70 FearlessKaz @ 06/25/10 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
Idk how many times its been said, but just to let you know, all the animations aren't in this build yet, its just to showcase the controls ..
That doesn't change the fact that a lot of the animations that ARE in the game look to have been pulled from the past NBA Lives'.

If you're just layering a bunch of the same old crappy animations on top of a physics engine how is the game supposed to look any better?

# 71 Jano @ 06/25/10 08:01 PM
Quote:
In real life there are checks on excessive freestyle moves and things like that. Gravity, logic, fatigue, equilibrium, etc. things like that and I am hoping they program similar checks into the game.
This I can understand and that's what I'm hoping for too.. And the biggest area EA must make sure they get right is the defense.

As long as we have a way to defend against all these offensive moves I'll be fine. But if there's something that's easily exploitable then I'll definitely be worried for the game.

# 72 Ryn Vintage1986 @ 06/25/10 08:12 PM
Alright, alright. The motion looked pretty solid, and I understand the defense is still in development, so I'll give that I pass.
The problem here is that I'm a big presentation guy, and 2K has that and seemingly the models and facials down pat.
Too early to tell, but 2K gets the preseason #1 ranking.

# 73 inkpimp007 @ 06/25/10 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
You know something Czar... I totally understand full user control.

That said, it should be completely taken out where the user or the cpu can do a hookshot from that far out. Some other animation should be in the place of that from that distance.
But that would completely go against what EA is setting out to do with FULL player control. Look at it this way. In real life people who do stupid things aren't always rewarded. Those who are discipline and respect the game are rewarded. So as long as thats in place I think things are on the right track here.

# 74 NoTiCe_O @ 06/25/10 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessKaz
That doesn't change the fact that a lot of the animations that ARE in the game look to have been pulled from the past NBA Lives'.

If you're just layering a bunch of the same old crappy animations on top of a physics engine how is the game supposed to look any better?
The animations that are in are obviously basic animations, they already said they didn't scrap live, they're just building around the good things about last years game. They haven't even put in the signature shots/moves yet.

Give it time, its still 3 months til sept, when we can even get a demo.

# 75 ParisB @ 06/25/10 09:14 PM
Quote:
Out of all consumers that buy these games I wonder what percentage of them will want to put large amounts of time into practicing in order to enjoy something that's supposed to be a form of entertainment? Also if that number is small what happens when sales reflect that? Is this game going to be for a niche market? Those are things I thought about as I read through the thread and saw some touting the fact that stick skills will be the determining factor. As far as the video...

I am still concerned that stick skills will turn this into something that's not basketball, but I guess if the consumers want that I can always take up gardening. Looking at the speed of the moves and imagining that some will call it stick skills when they figure out how to string together 3 super quick crossovers 4 spin moves and as a result be standing wide open for a 15 footer because no one could keep up with a whirlwind, I feel the AI will conclude that will actually be a good shot and one that should go in. I too, hope they penalize players w/fatigue or maybe even losing the ball like originally was in Live 10 for stuff like that. At this point I am feeling like my fears are being realized though and stick skills are gonna create "and 1 mixed tapes" and there will be no fundamentals. I am envisioning a string of cheese all over the court and then a mastered shot stick producing perfect swishes at the end!
lol, there's always going to be cheesers, man....total control is a good thing (in the right hands). Who cares if that's how people play. Then don't play with them. I always play with people I know or guys from this forum.

Complaining about this is like complaining you don't want a Ferrari because you saw a 16 year old chick driving it around a parking lot and saying you weren't impressed with the performance of the car.

give it a rest, guys

some of you will never be happy, or are just 2k guys posting to let us know that you don't like it regardless

I saw a lot of good in that video. The controls look and sound like they're going to be ridiculously amazing for us SIM guys. If cheesers want to just flick the stick left and right, then let them.....i won't be playing with them.

# 76 rEAnimator @ 06/25/10 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
lol, there's always going to be cheesers, man....total control is a good thing (in the right hands). Who cares if that's how people play. Then don't play with them. I always play with people I know or guys from this forum.

Complaining about this is like complaining you don't want a Ferrari because you saw a 16 year old chick driving it around a parking lot and saying you weren't impressed with the performance of the car.

give it a rest, guys

some of you will never be happy, or are just 2k guys posting to let us know that you don't like it regardless

I saw a lot of good in that video. The controls look and sound like they're going to be ridiculously amazing for us SIM guys. If cheesers want to just flick the stick left and right, then let them.....i won't be playing with them.
We're trying really, really hard to balance things so that the best strategy in the game is to play a proper, fundamental game of basketball.

You'll have total control, but the balancing of the features will determine if what you choose to do is successful or not.

It's harder to get right when you give the user as much control as we're giving them, but if we do get it right it should be a much more satisfying experience.

# 77 ParisB @ 06/25/10 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
We're trying really, really hard to balance things so that the best strategy in the game is to play a proper, fundamental game of basketball.

You'll have total control, but the balancing of the features will determine if what you choose to do is successful or not.

It's harder to get right when you give the user as much control as we're giving them, but if we do get it right it should be a much more satisfying experience.
But how do they get punished and how will the "system" know that you're cheesing or being legit? What if I'm using a star player in an iso set (pretty common), and start chaining together moves/dribbles to break him down....will it make me lose the ball?

# 78 RayDog253 @ 06/25/10 09:42 PM
Quote:

In real life there are checks on excessive freestyle moves and things like that. Gravity, logic, fatigue, equilibrium, etc. things like that and I am hoping they program similar checks into the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
This I can understand and that's what I'm hoping for too.. And the biggest area EA must make sure they get right is the defense.

As long as we have a way to defend against all these offensive moves I'll be fine. But if there's something that's easily exploitable then I'll definitely be worried for the game.
Ratings could help here, only a few players in the league can dribble that fast and keep control of the ball. Lower rated ball handlers should be more turnover prone and loose control of the dribble when trying to dribble the ball all sporadically. This could make it more believable and true.

I know if I try a double cross over that quick the balls gonna go flying out my hand, but if I play to my skill I shouldn't have a problem.

Hopefully ratings come into place to help differentiate players ball handling skill. And we will only see a select few of players doing these moves that fast without losing control. Durant and Lebron as good as they are, Are not premier ball handlers.

# 79 bigeastbumrush @ 06/25/10 09:48 PM
To the devs: The moves are too quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadio5
anyone know that song playing in the background???

VC/2k sports fan
Nice & Smooth - No Delayin

# 80 rEAnimator @ 06/25/10 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDog253
Ratings could help here, only a few players in the league can dribble that fast and keep control of the ball. Lower rated ball handlers should be more turnover prone and loose control of the dribble when trying to dribble the ball all sporadically. This could make it more believable and true.

I know if I try a double cross over that quick the balls gonna go flying out my hand, but if I play to my skill I shouldn't have a problem.

Hopefully ratings come into place to help differentiate players ball handling skill. And we will only see a select few of players doing these moves that fast without losing control. Durant and Lebron as good as they are, Are not premier ball handlers.

Yes, ratings will definitely have an influence.

I'd like to dig into what the concern is a little more though so I fully understand.

You're worried that dribble moves will be too easy to perform, or you're worried that people will be able to do things that are unrealistic?

The term cheesing is new to me so I apologize for the ignorance. Is it basically using an exploit to defeat your opponent?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.