Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

MyMaddenPad has posted the details of what the "Swagger" rating is all about for Madden NFL 11.

Quote:
"The "Old Spice Swagger" rating determines the likelihood of a player to celebrate on the way to the endzone, or after a touchdown. For example, a running back like Adrian Peterson (99 rating) has a greater tendency to celebrate than Frank Gore (50 rating)."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 PVarck31 @ 06/29/10 01:42 PM
I guess some of you guys didn't read this...http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ow-effect.html

Might want to rethink how you express your opinion.

# 22 J Masta J @ 06/29/10 02:15 PM
I think the concept behind this is good. Add some personality, some emotion to the game, and be able to distinguish who are the divas. I just am not sure how they implemented it is the answer. Seems too simplistic. Does it only effect likelihood to celebrate? What about in franchise mode, does it have any effect outside of the games. I'm all for adding unique personality to a player, but I can't imagine a simple "rating" is going to do it in an adequate way.

I also really, really dislike the "Old Spice" aspect of this rating. I don't know, something about it bothers me. I'm all for advertising within the game, but DO IT WITHIN THE GAME. You know, have banners around the stadium, maybe have a bit where Gus says "Here are the their numbers from inside the 20 presented to you by Old Spice Red Zone deodorant." Stuff like that is actually not only more appropriate, but it would also add some to the presentation of the game, because that kind of stuff happens on Sunday. I just feel like "ratings" should be something not touched by advertising. Seems "sacrilegious," or something like that.

# 23 Dirtybird52 @ 06/29/10 02:33 PM
adrian peterson should not have a high swager rating. #1 should be chad ocho cinco #2 ed reed #3T.O.#4ray lewis #5MJD this is the dumbest thing EA has done so far this year

# 24 jscrub3 @ 06/29/10 02:46 PM
waiting to see desean jackon's 100 rating

# 25 PantherBeast_OS @ 06/29/10 02:50 PM
Well I hope this means steve smith of the panthers will do a different dance everytime he gets a TD in the End Zone. But thanks alot Shop and thanks alot for posting this Stevo.

# 26 Vaporub83 @ 06/29/10 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Masta J
I think the concept behind this is good. Add some personality, some emotion to the game, and be able to distinguish who are the divas. I just am not sure how they implemented it is the answer. Seems too simplistic. Does it only effect likelihood to celebrate? What about in franchise mode, does it have any effect outside of the games. I'm all for adding unique personality to a player, but I can't imagine a simple "rating" is going to do it in an adequate way.

I also really, really dislike the "Old Spice" aspect of this rating. I don't know, something about it bothers me. I'm all for advertising within the game, but DO IT WITHIN THE GAME. You know, have banners around the stadium, maybe have a bit where Gus says "Here are the their numbers from inside the 20 presented to you by Old Spice Red Zone deodorant." Stuff like that is actually not only more appropriate, but it would also add some to the presentation of the game, because that kind of stuff happens on Sunday. I just feel like "ratings" should be something not touched by advertising. Seems "sacrilegious," or something like that.
I think what makes the rating be ok is that it is a complete opinion based rating. There isn't a way to quantify a players swag. About the stadium banners...guys that are all into every little detail would lose it if there was a random old spice banner in Raymond James Stadium. So regardless someone would be rubbed the wrong way with any sort of in-game advertisement. As long there isn't any Allstate Hands (Catching) Rating I'm ok with this.

# 27 jeremym480 @ 06/29/10 03:04 PM
I was a little worried at first because I though this would have something to do with player confidence. However, after finding out what it actually is I have ZERO problems with it. Heck, most of us have even been asking for something like this for years. It is just a way to help make certain players actually play (and act) like they do in real life. Now you may really be able to tell a difference when you're playing the CPU and OchoCinco scores against you versus Reggie Wayne scoring against you. This makes perfect since to me and personally, I'm all for it.

Is there any chance any of these will make it in the game?

Disclaimer: My volume is down so, I don't know what the song is on here.

Spoiler

# 28 blocknose @ 06/29/10 03:13 PM
i dont think this is something that really needs to be added when they could spend that time making the ratings they already have work correctly. it would be cool if they would lower the price since they are getting all this advertising revenue

# 29 steelernation28 @ 06/29/10 03:13 PM
Thats pretty cool. I can foresee some potential in that rating.

# 30 seriousluboy83 @ 06/29/10 03:18 PM
i could be wrong but i'm thinking the swagger animations must be automatic now...otherwise why else have it added when you could've spent time doing something else more important...

# 31 Dog @ 06/29/10 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrub3
waiting to see desean jackon's 100 rating
chris johnson and ochocinco too

# 32 Bellsprout @ 06/29/10 03:36 PM
I'm really quite pleased with this. Adds some personality to the game that it's been sort of lacking. Whenever you play the CPU every player looks and acts the same, and now that's fixed and I think it's a positive thing.

# 33 J Masta J @ 06/29/10 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
As long there isn't any Allstate Hands (Catching) Rating I'm ok with this.
Hahaha I'd actually just thought of that one as well...I'll contribute with the "Ford Toughness" rating.

# 34 thudias @ 06/29/10 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
I'm really quite pleased with this. Adds some personality to the game that it's been sort of lacking. Whenever you play the CPU every player looks and acts the same, and now that's fixed and I think it's a positive thing.
Yeah i kind of agree with this. Nice little touch. I am against all robots

# 35 J Masta J @ 06/29/10 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
I wouldn't say it's "fixed" until we see how it plays out on the field. Personally, I think given EA's track record it'd be a little much to expect them to have something as complicated and variable as player emotions and personality done perfectly well on the first get go. Nonetheless, this is a good first step, that indicates they recognize this is an area for improvement. As tlc said, let's just hope they decide to actually develop this concept and not dump it after a couple of years.

# 36 Bellsprout @ 06/29/10 03:48 PM
You're right, fixed was the wrong word until I actually see it working. I just like the concept and if it works well it's going to add some much needed personality to the game.

# 37 Valdarez @ 06/29/10 03:50 PM
I'd bet you money the rating has been there for years. They just decided to display it to get some of that Old Spice $$$.

# 38 proud2bawesome @ 06/29/10 03:52 PM
I think it would be better if swagger has a stronger influence on composure rather than cockiness.

# 39 bcruise @ 06/29/10 03:55 PM
It's good news to me that it's only going to affect celebrations - I was worried that it might be more of a confidence attribute-boosting thing (like clutch in baseball/basketball games) that I wouldn't particularly care for. It won't really have any noticeable effect on the way the game plays unless the 99 swagger guy gets hit and fumbles while high-stepping to the endzone.

I'm guessing we'll see the low swagger guys just kneel in the endzone, and it'll be nice to see that contrast in player emotions show up in the game.

# 40 maddenps2 @ 06/29/10 04:02 PM
Seems like a one-sided rating, swagger aka celebration or lack-there-of. Actually having the top players have their own gestures and mannerisms would be much better than a rating for the level of show-boating a player does.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.