Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

MyMaddenPad has posted the details of what the "Swagger" rating is all about for Madden NFL 11.

Quote:
"The "Old Spice Swagger" rating determines the likelihood of a player to celebrate on the way to the endzone, or after a touchdown. For example, a running back like Adrian Peterson (99 rating) has a greater tendency to celebrate than Frank Gore (50 rating)."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ODogg @ 06/29/10 04:03 PM
I'm McLoving it! <= this comment brought to you by McDonalds and the movie Superbad.

# 42 DrewsLions @ 06/29/10 04:11 PM
I like the idea in theory. I just hope that the players with a 90 or higher swagger rating aren't celebrating after every play. On the way to the end zone or after a big play, great... all for it. Love to see more character in the game. I just hope that the rating is tamed a little and we all don't get sick of players celebrating after a 5yd run or 9yd pass reception.

# 43 cubsball899 @ 06/29/10 04:11 PM
i've got mixed feelings with this... i mean yeah its nice to be able to differentiate between players based on how they act on the field, but why do we need a rating for this? just program players personalities and allow them to show on the field. its sure as hell not going to sell more copies ofthe game just because there is a swagger rating, what i mean is that nobody who is or isn't going to by the game is going to change there mind because of this, so just let it show on the field rather than market it.
the other thing i'd like to really see is this rating effect off the field situations in franchise. a player with high swagger is likely going to request more money than he may be worth or demand more balls thrown in his direction. a player may complain about playing time etc. etc.

i'm not sure if the NFL allows them to do this? but i remember in 06 last gen i had players complaining about playing time and thats a very realistic thing IMO.

# 44 cubsball899 @ 06/29/10 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsLions
I like the idea in theory. I just hope that the players with a 90 or higher swagger rating aren't celebrating after every play. On the way to the end zone or after a big play, great... all for it. Love to see more character in the game. I just hope that the rating is tamed a little and we all don't get sick of players celebrating after a 5yd run or 9yd pass reception.

you're a lions fan... how many times have you seen roy williams signal for a first down? lol he could catch a 3 yard screen play for a first down and he will celebrate it like he's never caught a pass before

# 45 Meast21Forever @ 06/29/10 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
If done right, ...this is a awesome feature!!

Barry Sanders will actually not spike the ball now! SWEET

I dont understand why people wouldnt like this. Its actually what you see on Sunday. Some guys celebrate, some dont...some are crazy celebraters. I love this feature.

Nice job guys, this kind of little stuff, all adds up to make a much more complete game.
Not sure if you know this, but Barry Sanders retired. Just an fyi...

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems a bit pointless to me. I thought the talk of ratings boosting/confidence would make sense, but now it's simply the likelihood of a guy celebrating. I guess I'll judge when I get my hands on the game.

# 46 ODogg @ 06/29/10 04:20 PM
cubsball899 - This is in effect "programming" their personality. That's the whole point of the rating.

# 47 HeavyHitter55 @ 06/29/10 04:30 PM
Does anyone know if team celebrations are in M11? If they are, does that come into effect for Swagger?

# 48 cubsball899 @ 06/29/10 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
cubsball899 - This is in effect "programming" their personality. That's the whole point of the rating.
thanks odogg i didn't know that ...m y point is that there is no reason for us to see that... now when we see a player celebrate a touchdown or not we're going to look at the rating to see what the players "swagger rating" is and probably have people editing it...whereas if we are playing the game and all the sudden we notice some players doing unique celebrations, we are going to think oh cool, EA made the game more realistic...

when you watch a game with chad ochocinco versus terrell owens, do you sit back and quantify how much "swag" the player has? hell no, you just watch the player play the game and if he's playing great you either enjoy or are annoyed by his antics, no reason why EA has to put it in as yet another numerical rating

# 49 ODogg @ 06/29/10 04:40 PM
cubsball899 - more control for the user is never a bad thing. Yes they could have hidden the rating but I'm glad they didn't. Now if we get someone celebrating who shouldn't we can adjust it to be correct. And we all know that EA are never spot on with their ratings. Plus this will be a nice feature for creating players of our own as to how we like them. I just don't see any downside to having the rating out there for us to look at and change as opposed to it being a hidden rating.

# 50 maddenps2 @ 06/29/10 04:45 PM
Quote:
Really so each star has there own personality? so they each have their specific mannerisms and celebrations? or is it just a generic showboating rating with all the same celebrations across the board? Showboating doesn't equal each persons personality just a small fraction of it. Will favre jump on his teammates and carry them around? If not player specific it's a pretty weakly implemented rating, and has very little to do with personality and more to do with what they named it swagger aka showboating.

# 51 red-and-gold @ 06/29/10 04:45 PM
i dont know about that, ive seen almost every 49ers game last year and the year before that and on every TD frank gore celebrated so it should be alot higher then that maybe 90
Quote:
"The "Old Spice Swagger" rating determines the likelihood of a player to celebrate on the way to the endzone, or after a touchdown. For example, a running back like Adrian Peterson (99 rating) has a greater tendency to celebrate than Frank Gore (50 rating)."

# 52 Above Awesome @ 06/29/10 04:47 PM
How do they rate the players that normally don't make many plays? How will they rate the 2nd stringers? Little known players?

How can they tell how much swagger an offensive lineman has? How much swagger a punter or kicker has? Are they going to give second stringers an arbitrary number for their swagger rating?

I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-and-gold
i dont know about that, ive seen almost every 49ers game last year and the year before that and on every TD frank gore celebrate so it should be alot higher then that maybe 90+
Agreed. Gore did some.... provocative celebrations towards the end of the season. (Lions?)

# 53 PGaither84 @ 06/29/10 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorneyDave
Lol, what a dumb feature.
This.

It's such a vague characteristic as well. Frank Gore only has 50 swager? So, that only applies to celebrations? So, his 50 swager rating doesn't hurt his desire, that he keeps his legs churning and fights harder than any other active back in the NFL?

Thanks EA. Thanks for putting in a stupid rating when leadership, consistensy, and agressiveness still aren't in the game.

You get a participation award. Thanks for playing.

# 54 Meast21Forever @ 06/29/10 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
This.

It's such a vague characteristic as well. Frank Gore only has 50 swager? So, that only applies to celebrations? So, his 50 swager rating doesn't hurt his desire, that he keeps his legs churning and fights harder than any other active back in the NFL?

Thanks EA. Thanks for putting in a stupid rating when leadership, consistensy, and agressiveness still aren't in the game.

You get a participation award. Thanks for playing.
I agree it's a vague characteristic and that it's a dumb feature, but having leadership, consistency and aggressiveness would be pretty difficult as well. How would EA go about rating players' aggressiveness? If you're not aggressive in this game, you're not in the game at all. Leadership? I don't know. Ok. Peyton has 99. Most QB's are 80-90. Other than the occasional stand out guy (Like Mawae or London Fletcher), anyone that isn't a team captain would be difficult to judge. That's getting to specific for me. No need for those ratings IMO.

# 55 ODogg @ 06/29/10 04:57 PM
This thread shows how EA can't win for losing with a lot of you. Yes this isn't all encompassing of personality of the players but it's a step in the right direction toward that goal. But for a lot of you it's just an excuse it seems to take EA behind the virtual woodshed once again. I think it's a great addition myself.

# 56 Outkizast @ 06/29/10 05:00 PM
Quote:
This thread shows how EA can't win for losing with a lot of you. Yes this isn't all encompassing of personality of the players but it's a step in the right direction toward that goal. But for a lot of you it's just an excuse it seems to take EA behind the virtual woodshed once again. I think it's a great addition myself.
I think it's a great addition as well. But let's hope they build on it in the future.

# 57 ZoneKIller @ 06/29/10 05:02 PM
I wrote in another thread that got closed how this is what I was hoping for.
Something that seperates the T.O.s and the Marvin Harrisons of the game.
This ia about the best thing I have seen besides the new Locomotion or new tweaked Locomotion (whatever it is).This is pretty sweet.Itd be nice if this is in the NCAA 11 game.

# 58 red-and-gold @ 06/29/10 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Awesome
How do they rate the players that normally don't make many plays? How will they rate the 2nd stringers? Little known players?

How can they tell how much swagger an offensive lineman has? How much swagger a punter or kicker has? Are they going to give second stringers an arbitrary number for their swagger rating?

I don't get it.

Agreed. Gore did some.... provocative celebrations towards the end of the season. (Lions?)
madden is always off on rating, they gave frank gore 77 STR (HB Frank Gore - 93 OVR, 93 SPD, 77 STR, 92 AGI)
look at this video and tell me if he's a 77 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZWZKod4-90 @ 0:33

# 59 RedZoneD25 @ 06/29/10 05:17 PM
I'm primarily an offline gamer, so what I do is basically just download the roster, and edit to my liking. I imagine for you online gamers it is tough because you have to "deal with it", but user skill>ratings, or at least it has.

# 60 turfguy23 @ 06/29/10 05:19 PM
Barry Sanders
Swagger rating = 0
Old School.....not "Old Spice"

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.