Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

Anthony White has just posted another NCAA Football 11 blog. This one going over the pro style offense.

Quote:
"A Pro Style Offense for us is simply an offensive system that's used in college football that closely resembles those that are used in professional football. The majority of Pro Style Offenses want to be balanced on offense between the run and the pass. That doesn't necessarily mean they want to run half of the time and throw the other, but rather it means they want to do either whenever the situation calls for a run or pass. A downhill running game is also important to coaches who run a Pro Style Offense. Being able to run the ball helps control the time of possession as well as setting up the play action passing game.

Like any other offensive style there are differences from team to team on how they use their Pro Style Offense. Some teams like Wisconsin, Stanford, and Nebraska rely more on a strong power run game whereas other teams like USC, Arkansas, and Boise State feature high octane passing attacks. How a team uses its offense is all dictated by their personnel.

Another reason why some teams prefer the Pro Style Offense is for recruiting purposes. A coach can point out to a potential recruit that the Pro Style Offense can best prepare him for a potential career in professional football. The idea is that a Pro Style Offense is similar to what professional teams use; therefore a college player will be exposed to the same types of plays and terminology. In theory it also makes his transition to pro football easier and it gives pro scouts the chance to more easily evaluate and project if that player can play at the professional level."

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jclentzthadon @ 07/01/10 07:06 PM
Good looking out! Thanks!

# 2 myownsun @ 07/01/10 07:09 PM
Thanks! Off to read

# 3 jmik58 @ 07/01/10 08:54 PM
Pro style can be generalized more than just saying it uses a power running game and tries to be balanced between run/pass.

Pro style typically has two backs (FB and HB) although many pro teams use a one back formation. Also, the pro style is correlated with the use of a TE or multiple tight ends.

Pro teams will spread it out without TE's but typically only in special situations.

Many of the spread teams in college doesn't use a TE very much, but this is something that's essential to the pro style.

You also see the use of an "H" back who is like an extra TE that is used for blocking purposes much like a hybrid FB/TE.

# 4 BUCTD3 @ 07/02/10 05:48 PM
I think that this blog is the perfect example of why they need people who really understand football working on the game. I don't care what they know about video game design or anything else they must know football.

# 5 noplace @ 07/02/10 06:55 PM
EA....Nebraska is multiple not pro... Do your homework or let us create our own playbooks.

# 6 BUCTD3 @ 07/03/10 12:42 PM
I also want to point out how humorous it is that they call it pro style offense. Do they not realize that there are about 20 different styles of pro style offense? There is no way to call something a pro style they need to be more specific. By the way Nebraska is a pro style offense in that they do not run any offense and will play under center in the I.

# 7 dan_457 @ 07/03/10 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCTD3
I also want to point out how humorous it is that they call it pro style offense. Do they not realize that there are about 20 different styles of pro style offense? There is no way to call something a pro style they need to be more specific. By the way Nebraska is a pro style offense in that they do not run any offense and will play under center in the I.
Their offense fits under the umbrella of what's considered a Pro Style offense, it's the same as the spread offense being used as a general term to describe a teams offense.

# 8 noplace @ 07/03/10 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBruce
I don't know a lot about Nebraskey, not offensively anyways. Either way, if it has all of the formations and plays correct, what does it matter? lol well anyways, I have to agree a LOT with bolded! :P
If thats the case it doesnt matter but I highly doubt that.

# 9 noplace @ 07/03/10 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer
Did they say they ran the pro set? Or did they just say that "tackle over" formation could be found in their playbook?
Its in the blog.. It was also referenced in another post..

# 10 jmik58 @ 07/03/10 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer
Did they say they ran the pro set? Or did they just say that "tackle over" formation could be found in their playbook?
Since it's not a playbook blog, but a play style blog, it said they run the pro style.

That's the diagreement I believe, that they are in fact a multiple style offense and don't just run the pro style.

I think Nebarska fans have as much of an argument as anyone though. You can't say "well if it plays accurately then who cares" because that wouldn't fly if it was a higher profiled team with more vocal fans.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.