Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

The popular FBG Ratings website of the mid 2000's is up and running again under new management. Over 17000 NFL players are being evaluated and re-rated for the 2010 NFL season. The FBG ratings system will utilize old philosophies for bringing accuracy to Madden NFL game-play while incorporating the NextGen attributes into player ratings.

Because of the many critiques of EA and their ratings over the years, the managers are hearing recommendations for player ratings. This will give the most loyal Madden gaming community at OS the opportunity to give their input into player ratings. Please visit www.fbgratings.com/members to check the site out.

You can PM Dan B. on OS under his handle DCEBB2001.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 at23steelers @ 07/08/10 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
Yeah, it takes some time to get through 17000 players as you could guess. There will be more updates in August.
How many times do you have to say that, until people fully grasp what that means? haha

# 62 DCEBB2001 @ 07/08/10 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
How many times do you have to say that, until people fully grasp what that means? haha
As many times as necessary until people DO grasp it. Makes me wonder if people actually read the stuff on the forums. But I don't mind repeating myself if need be so people actually get it...

# 63 rice_n_gravy @ 07/08/10 11:35 AM
Quote:
As many times as necessary until people DO grasp it. Makes me wonder if people actually read the stuff on the forums. But I don't mind repeating myself if need be so people actually get it...
honestly

I read the title of the thread and just clicked the link

# 64 vaderdog @ 07/08/10 12:17 PM
So I am assuming that Keith Rivers from the Bengals is not a 40? As far as the rerating goes?

# 65 DCEBB2001 @ 07/08/10 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderdog
So I am assuming that Keith Rivers from the Bengals is not a 40? As far as the rerating goes?
He was on IR last season. IR will bring most players down to a 40. However, when he is updated to the offseason rating he will be around an 80.

# 66 vaderdog @ 07/08/10 12:34 PM
I was assuming that you had a good reason. However he was not on the IR last year. Maualuga did end up on the IR at the end of the season.

# 67 DCEBB2001 @ 07/08/10 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderdog
I was assuming that you had a good reason. However he was not on the IR last year. Maualuga did end up on the IR at the end of the season.
Oh that's right...he was out 3 games with a calf injury late in the season.

# 68 DCEBB2001 @ 07/08/10 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaJedi1
Will these ratings apply for online play as well?
I do not think so...but I never play online so I don't know for sure. But I do know that we will be producing roster files at some point as well as launching an NCAA site that rates NCAA players as well.

# 69 Maelstrom-XIII @ 07/08/10 11:10 PM
DCEBB...

I'd actually like to hear more about how you come up with the ratings. You said it's basically a one person job (meaning, I assume, that you are updating all of the ratings yourself?)...that's quite a task, but I noticed that you have overalls, but no attributes in yet...do you have those stored away to input later, or how does that work?

And I can only imagine the pain in the neck an NCAA site would be...having to update the site regarding rosters with people transferring, redshirting, etc...

# 70 DCEBB2001 @ 07/08/10 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
DCEBB...

I'd actually like to hear more about how you come up with the ratings. You said it's basically a one person job (meaning, I assume, that you are updating all of the ratings yourself?)...that's quite a task, but I noticed that you have overalls, but no attributes in yet...do you have those stored away to input later, or how does that work?

And I can only imagine the pain in the neck an NCAA site would be...having to update the site regarding rosters with people transferring, redshirting, etc...
The ratings are formula based on several criteria involving raw attributes (SPD, ACC, AGI, JMP, STR) and dimensional attributes (AWR, CTH, CAR, etc...). The OVR rating correlates 99.9% of the time with the attributes that are assigned to a player, meaning that the calculations are pretty much accurate for every player.

FBG has always, and will always be a one man job. It is not hard for one person to do it considering that we have all the scouting data from one source.

The attributes will be added in as the season goes along. The goal is to have them set in stone for 2011. The reason being is you now have to do 50 attributes for every player...17000 of them. Its a tall order. However, we will do attributes for the guys currently in the league first as opposed to going in alphabetical order like we are now. We had to do it this way to start because there was a TON of data missing left over from 2007.

The attributes are presently recorded offline, but will be entered once I find out how Madden 11 will rate the players. These will have to then be adjusted.

The NCAA site will also be a one man job, but that will be up to a colleague of mine.

# 71 at23steelers @ 07/08/10 11:27 PM
Random question, but DCEBB is this all volunteer?

# 72 DCEBB2001 @ 07/08/10 11:35 PM
Quote:
Random question, but DCEBB is this all volunteer?
No it is not

# 73 Maelstrom-XIII @ 07/08/10 11:39 PM
Any openings?

Get paid to talk/think/analyze football? I'm there.

# 74 at23steelers @ 07/08/10 11:41 PM
Quote:
No it is not
Cool, Cool. At least you get benefits for all the work you do. Maybe you should make enough as Donny Moore, haha!

# 75 DCEBB2001 @ 07/08/10 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
Any openings?

Get paid to talk/think/analyze football? I'm there.
The draft website might have some internships for scouting, but they don't pay at all...

The goal one day is to take those kids' jobs at EA...I have the connections to Madden's daughter who runs the show for the game so it could happen. I think that if the site does better than what those guys are doing it can only garner positive attention.

# 76 Schmackity @ 07/09/10 10:47 AM
You guys commenting and saying their ratings are messed up, stop comparing guys at different positions to one another. Of course a Pro Bowl defensive end might be rated at 84 and then another average player might be at 86 ahead of him. They are different positions and it has no reflection of better overall skills, its the player's rating for THAT POSITION only. Stop saying how you'd do it or how it SHOULD be done and thank these guys for putting in all the hard work and effort to do what you are not willing to do yourself.

# 77 DCEBB2001 @ 07/09/10 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmackity
You guys commenting and saying their ratings are messed up, stop comparing guys at different positions to one another. Of course a Pro Bowl defensive end might be rated at 84 and then another average player might be at 86 ahead of him. They are different positions and it has no reflection of better overall skills, its the player's rating for THAT POSITION only. Stop saying how you'd do it or how it SHOULD be done and thank these guys for putting in all the hard work and effort to do what you are not willing to do yourself.
That's the whole problem though! It shouldn't be position or weight specific! If a guy weighs 150lbs and runs a 4.5 and a guy weighing 300lbs runs a 4.5 is the smaller guy faster? No of course not! They ran the same time for g*d's sake!

The speed rating has sooo much of an effect on the OVR rating and gameplay, that asking for more realistic times for individual players is not asking for too much. And to prove that it does NOT depend on position I want you to do a little test. Take a 300lb lineman and go time how many frames it takes you to run 40 yards with 80 SPD, ACC, and AGI in practice mode. Then take a 170lb CB with 80 SPD, ACC, and AGI and do the same thing. I'll bet you my last dollar that they run it in the same amount of frames. This will show you that position has NOTHING to do with the rating. Doing things non-universally and doing it by position is what the whole problem is in the first place. Why not make every player equal for what they timed out in?

Oh, and I believe that I have every right, as well as anyone else here, to speak my mind about how I would rate the players myself...and all of it will pay off for the website this topic is about. So please, spare me the insults and recognize how much work it really takes to rate 6 times as many players as those saps at EA are doing in a more orderly and comprehensive fashion.

# 78 at23steelers @ 07/09/10 11:04 AM
Yeah, it's awesome how much time, work, and energy you put into these ratings. How do you even begin to rate agility for the players though? Also, when do you expect the ratings to be done? No rush at all, in fact as you probably know and EA needs to know is never rush anything, but make sure you take awhile and make sure it's perfect!

# 79 Maelstrom-XIII @ 07/09/10 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmackity
Two points.

1. Ratings shouldn't be position based. You shouldn't say that a FS has 90 strength, but his strength isn't as strong as an OL's 90 strength. They both have 90 strength. To me, that means that they are equal in strength. We have an entire range of values for ratings--why doesn't EA use them? If we say most QBs have 30 strength, and Tim Tebow has 50 strength, he's strong--FOR A QB. He's not as strong as an OT, and shouldn't be rated as such. Therefore, in my opinion, it shouldn't be POSITIONAL.

2. I'm sharing how I'd do it because, in my opinion, EA is doing it WRONG. Secondly, if EA offered for me to do the ratings, I'd jump at the chance. So don't say that I'm not willing to do it. I have no doubt that Donny puts in a lot of hard work, and I appreciate the work he does do. Just seems a mite silly of you to say we aren't willing to do something, when the entire thread is about someone who IS doing something...and something that a lot of us WOULD do if given the chance.

Furthermore (although I guess this is point 3, so sue me), a pro bowl player and an average player should never be rated anywhere close to each other. The guy's a pro bowler for a reason. Don't tell me that you wouldn't mind if Charlie Batch and Ben Roethlisberger were rated close to each other...

# 80 DCEBB2001 @ 07/09/10 11:23 AM
Quote:
Yeah, it's awesome how much time, work, and energy you put into these ratings. How do you even begin to rate agility for the players though? Also, when do you expect the ratings to be done? No rush at all, in fact as you probably know and EA needs to know is never rush anything, but make sure you take awhile and make sure it's perfect!
If you think about it, just to get the name, college, DOB, years pro, and OVR takes about 1.5 minutes per player on the average. That's around 425 hours of work just for that basic info. Now do all the attributes! A lot more time for those!

One thing that would help is if I had the exact formula for how certain positions are determined like on this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...culations.html

If I had it EXACTLY for Madden 11 that would help since most of the stuff is in spreadsheet format. It would get rid of me having to do it all in the game and would allow it to be calculated right on the site. This would save a ton of time, so that will be one of the first things to do.

As for a timetable, you can expect it to be an ongoing process:

1. I have to get in all the basic data, of which I am over 1/3 of the way done. This includes Ht, Wt, DOB, years pro, Name, college and OVR from March (offseason rating).

2. I have to update all of the OVR ratings for August or September, which will depend on when #1 is complete.

3. I have to update all the player hts, wts, positions, and jersey numbers to correlate to this season. The heights and weights currently shown are from when the player was drafted and all jersey numbers are blank.

4. Then I will start on individual attributes for players who are on teams so you guys can see how they are rated.

5. Attributes for FA players will be filled in.

All in all, I expect the basic info do be done by the end of September, the first update by early October, the updated depth charts and rosters with jersey #s and hts/wts by October, and attributes for players on current rosters by the end of the season. Considering how long it takes, this is a realistic timetable. Then for opening day 2011, all of the players (17000 + 2400 rookies) will have all OVRs and attributes ready to go full time.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.