Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

The popular FBG Ratings website of the mid 2000's is up and running again under new management. Over 17000 NFL players are being evaluated and re-rated for the 2010 NFL season. The FBG ratings system will utilize old philosophies for bringing accuracy to Madden NFL game-play while incorporating the NextGen attributes into player ratings.

Because of the many critiques of EA and their ratings over the years, the managers are hearing recommendations for player ratings. This will give the most loyal Madden gaming community at OS the opportunity to give their input into player ratings. Please visit www.fbgratings.com/members to check the site out.

You can PM Dan B. on OS under his handle DCEBB2001.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 King Gro23 @ 07/21/10 09:55 AM
Okay I see the players are rating but when clicking on them & it shows all the attributes there are no numbers . Does this process have to hold out till you recieve the game. & If so will we be able to insert the numbers into our Madden 11' games. Before the actual NFL season 10-11 is over?

# 122 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/10 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gro23
Okay I see the players are rating but when clicking on them & it shows all the attributes there are no numbers . Does this process have to hold out till you recieve the game. & If so will we be able to insert the numbers into our Madden 11' games. Before the actual NFL season 10-11 is over?
Tough questions here. As of now, all of the Madden attributes are cleared. The most recent data I have was from 2007 in the OLDgen. That being said, I have to see how the new locomotion will play into the ratings. As discussed in the "Inflation" thread, the averages for SPD, ACC, and AGI have gone up again, which throws off the normalization. Also, we are not entirely sure on what ratings will effect which positions. I am counting on someone with the game to calculate each and every attribute for every position to determine the weight of each attribute that determines the OVR rating. This will allow me to get the attributes up more quickly because it will not require me to get the game, which as of now, I will be passing on. Having the calculations will also make it easier to simply input the formulas into the SQL database so the calculations can be real-time, quick, and easy. If this is done, you can expect attributes to be entered in during the season. If not, it will deeply hinder my ability to enter in all the data by hand, which takes about 5 minutes per player. 17000 players, 5 minutes per...you do the math. With a simple formula for each position, that time is cut down to a few weeks of entry and a few minutes of processing. BINGO...it's done.

HittinAgenda has been doing some prelim work thus far, but we really need to wait for the game to get some of the kinks out. Once that is done, I need PRECISE weighting for the attributes. The attributes MUST match the OVR ratings. Once I get them, you will be able to enter them in before the season ends...but the PRECISE calculations are the key.

# 123 King Gro23 @ 07/21/10 10:29 AM
Okay thanks for the quick reply and thorough answer man.
Do you think NCAA football will have the same weighted attributes as Madden minus the QB position? because madden has the SAC, MAC, DAC. NCAA does not

# 124 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/10 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gro23
Okay thanks for the quick reply and thorough answer man.
Do you think NCAA football will have the same weighted attributes as Madden minus the QB position? because madden has the SAC, MAC, DAC. NCAA does not
I honestly have NO idea. All I can say is that once I get the weighting and the calculations figured out, the attributes will be completed much more quickly.

# 125 DCEBB2001 @ 07/22/10 10:59 PM
Another update here:

All players with the "T" status have been updated for their "Training Camp" ratings. So far AZ-CLE and GB have been completed. These ratings are current as of 7/21/2010. The ratings with the "O" or "Offseason" ratings were current as of March, so much has changed for some players. Many of the injuries have been removed and players are now up to full strength except for a few who are still injured (Steve Smith, CAR).

All of the teams should be completed by the weekend, just in time for training camps. The next set of updates to follow will be during the preseason, so be on the look out for those. Also, once M11 comes out and the attributes can be calculated you will see individual attributes being added to the player ratings for current NFL players. Free Agents will also be updated periodically considering there are 14000 of them. Feel free to post any questions or send me a PM.

Dan B.

# 126 menglish20 @ 07/23/10 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
i've played Madden for some time and i happened to like the ratings Madden 2003. ratings were much better and elite players ONLY were in the 90s. best part? 80 rated players were no slouch.

the biggest thing? people DID NOT progress too quickly and an 80 rating was considered VERY SOLID. haven't we learned from the examples of players like Michael Bennett and Reggie Bush? what about Roy Williams? (the safety) all these guys were grossly overrated based of one year after the ratings ballooned out of control. why is this important? because when one-year wonders have a pedestrian the year after, or a pedestrian couple of years....you're reducing them from 83 to a 78. not from a 90--that just looks bad.

funny thing? i'm an eagles fan too...here's the system. highest rating? 96. 97+ are reserved for the best to ever put on the uniform (rice, payton, marino, montana, ect..). elite players are 90+. average NFL starter? 70-74. 75-79 is for "above average" 80-84? this is for guys considered GOOD. 85-89 is for VERY GOOD, guys on the "cusp" of elite or veterans with 3 straight years at a high level of play. 65-69 is for solid bench contributors. 60-64 is your average bench player.

rookies are unproven commodities. they simply won't be overrated until we see what they can do. 1st round picks? 65-70. 2nd round picks? 60-64. third round picks? 50-59. after the third round? 40-49.

how do these ratings help? it helps players not be TOO GOOD. we've all seen what player ratings that are too high do to the game. they HURT it. it gives us a game where too many passes are caught, completed, intercepted and players are too fast, impossible to tackle and other manner of foolishness.

so here's the eagles:

Cole - 90. a good end, no doubt. but there are 5 or 6 guys better than he is. still elite tho...

Djack - 87. you're seeing he's not a 90 and you're about to die, right? good receiver no question. he's also not one-dimensional as people think--great route runner with GREAT hands. the issue? last year was his FIRST 1,000 yard season (he had 912 his first year i believe). giving any player with one thousand yard season a 90 is just crazy. i'd normally have said 85 (a great rating BTW) but intangibles like making the pro-bowl as a PR and WR were BIG. he can get those three points with another season like last year tho. that'll provide a good 3 year window. 900 yards as a rookie (which is excellent) 1100 yards as 2nd year player (again, really good) and he gets his 90 if he maintains his status quo as one of the league's most dangerous receivers.

Tapp - 63. 7 sacks his first year and has gone down in sacks every year since...this was in seattle. a lower-level bench contributor.

Rocca - 70. any eagles fan knows this guy is average at BEST.

Avant - 67. a high level bench contributor. 41catches-583yds-3tds..good slot guy with good hands.

Mccoy - 72. an 80? how? 637 yds and 4tds as a rookie? he started a great deal too.when i think 80 i think of guys like darren sproles. proven commodities.

jamal jackson. 77 (coming off injury: woulda been an 81). yeah you're right...he's behind peters and herremans. good, solid lineman...not the best on the team tho. FAR from it.

jeremy maclin. 73. - 55 catches, 762 yards, 4 tds. solid rookie year. now a starter...can be as good as he wants to. but since there are updates. we won't upgrade him until he deserves it.

nate allen - 60. 2nd round pick. a rookie...it makes no sense to rate rookies high for no reason.

just my 2 cents.
i love this post. Now if you just applied this logic to every team, I think you'd have a lot more realistic experience.

# 127 DCEBB2001 @ 07/27/10 07:33 PM
OK, guys, most of the Training Camp ratings are up and ready to for all of the players currently on teams. If I do not presently have a Training Camp Rating (T), then they are given a status of NTR for "No Training Camp Rating". Also, check out the Packers here so you can have an idea on how the new individual attributes affect player ratings. Let me know what you think of them. The deeper the analysis, the better. Here is the link:

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/vi...=pos&order=ASC

# 128 DCEBB2001 @ 07/27/10 11:50 PM
I also have the Steelers to give you an idea.

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/vi...?team=Steelers

# 129 at23steelers @ 07/28/10 12:03 AM
Wow! Steelers got some fast players, considering 90 is elite. More than a few players on the verge of elite speed and have elite speed. Wallace (95) Ike Taylor (92) Mendenhall (89) Polamalu (89). I think Mendenhall has 89 speed even with Madden's over inflation of ratings. Everything looks universal, which is key. It doesn't depend on position like it does in Madden. Good job DCEBB, and have fun doing the other 30 teams too. There's nothing really negative I could mention in which I saw, so no cons from me.

# 130 DCEBB2001 @ 07/28/10 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Wow! Steelers got some fast players, considering 90 is elite. More than a few players on the verge of elite speed and have elite speed. Wallace (95) Ike Taylor (92) Mendenhall (89) Polamalu (89). I think Mendenhall has 89 speed even with Madden's over inflation of ratings. Everything looks universal, which is key. It doesn't depend on position like it does in Madden. Good job DCEBB, and have fun doing the other 30 teams too. There's nothing really negative I could mention in which I saw, so no cons from me.
Thanks man! I have updated GB, AZ, and ATL thus far with the basic Raw attibutes (STR, AGI, SPD, ACC, JMP). Once again, you can check them out here:

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/vi...team=Cardinals

I would love to hear from the guys who have followed the thread to see if they like the attributes so far. Take note with different positions and tell me what you think now that they are universal. Do you think it works? Do you prefer the old system where players are rated by position better? Please let me know so I know whether to continue this way or not. The more feedback, the better! Thanks in advance to those who reply!

# 131 iAM-IncReDiBLe- @ 07/29/10 01:35 AM
I'm a Falcons fan an imo CB Robinson is way to high. He constantly getting burnt by WRs and Matt Ryans should be about an 87. Turner speed is to low an hes much better then an 85ovr. He may have been injured last year but he still had a great average per rush and was putting up great numbers. DE Anderson is thrash an should be a 71 at best. ILB Lofton being a 74ovr is really bad. Hes the best player on our defense and should be about an 88ovr. I seen you said you only edited raw attributes so if your not done yet then disregard what I just posted lol.

# 132 VikesRule @ 07/29/10 02:10 AM
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I was wondering what you do for player ratings that don't really affect certain positions. For instance, how do you determine what a QB's catch rating or a WR's tackling rating is? Do you just give them all a standard value (I think in the last gen games the "default" value for ratings was 40 or something like that) or do you vary them, or is there some way you come up with different ratings?

# 133 DCEBB2001 @ 07/29/10 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anechoic
Hey, I just started following this thread and I do appreciate you keeping EA in check as far as player ratings go. But I've been checking out the ratings, and they don't seem very universal so far. I'm a Packer fan so I've been checking out mostly Green Bay's player ratings, and there are a number that seem off. But I'm going to set those aside to comment on the larger issue here.

A lot of people want the ratings to be more dispersed - have a greater gap between the best and worst players. It sounds like a great idea, but I'm not really convinced that it is. It sort of starts to eliminate "competition." For instance, in Denver, Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn are in competition for the backup quarterback spot. In Madden 11, the two players are pretty much interchangeable so it's mostly personal preference. But if the ratings are stretched, perhaps Quinn would become a 70 and Tebow would drop to a 67 or something. Now, you'd be much more compelled to start Quinn over Tebow. And the truth about the NFL is that the competition is much closer than it is in college football. Even in the NFL, it's not too difficult for someone like Aaron Rodgers to scramble away from defensive ends but if the ratings varied more, that speed difference would show even more, which would make Rodgers look even slower. And when it comes to the discussion of "which player is better," almost no one can agree (like people constantly argue over whether Drew Brees or Peyton Manning is a better quarterback) so it's probably better to have the ratings closer in that case to show how close their skills really are.

Ok, I'm really not sure if all of that was coherent, but I thought I should get some of my opinions out here. Don't know if any of this helps at all.
One thing to remember is that these players are not rated in a similar fashion to how EA rates players. That could be why they seem off. The number of 90s has been decreased to make them more elite. Having a 90 rating for an attribute accomplishes the same thing. Please let me know what you think is off so I can explain why that player is rated as he is.

# 134 DCEBB2001 @ 07/29/10 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kng23rich
I'm a Falcons fan an imo CB Robinson is way to high. He constantly getting burnt by WRs and Matt Ryans should be about an 87. Turner speed is to low an hes much better then an 85ovr. He may have been injured last year but he still had a great average per rush and was putting up great numbers. DE Anderson is thrash an should be a 71 at best. ILB Lofton being a 74ovr is really bad. Hes the best player on our defense and should be about an 88ovr. I seen you said you only edited raw attributes so if your not done yet then disregard what I just posted lol.
No the OVR ratings are up to date as well. The reason that Robinson is as high as he is comes down to his physical attributes. Because Madden has ratings for the physical attributes as well as the gameplay attributes, you have to consider both when rating a player. In Robinson's case, his physical attributes of SPD and ACC make him quite good in that regard...especially considering how fast he really is. Think of the OVR as not necessarily HOW a player will play, but rather the sum of all the parts that may or may not DETERMINE how he will play.

Second, how can you say his speed is too low? Have you seen the other positions and RBs for that matter? The guy only ran a 4.49...not a 4.30. He is not as fast as a lot of people think. Once again, all things being equal...that 85 SPD rating is right where he belongs. The AVG/CAR does NOT determine speed. Speed determines speed. You can take a slow back with a great OL and still have a great average per carry. So please disregard such a statistic as stats do NOT make up a players rating and potential.

Lofton is coming off of ankle and knee problems. Injuries play a part in a player's OVR rating.

# 135 DCEBB2001 @ 07/29/10 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikesRule
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I was wondering what you do for player ratings that don't really affect certain positions. For instance, how do you determine what a QB's catch rating or a WR's tackling rating is? Do you just give them all a standard value (I think in the last gen games the "default" value for ratings was 40 or something like that) or do you vary them, or is there some way you come up with different ratings?
There is a way to determine those other ratings...it comes down to correlations and such...but a magician never fully reveals his tricks...

# 136 DCEBB2001 @ 07/29/10 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kng23rich
ILB Lofton being a 74ovr is really bad. Hes the best player on our defense and should be about an 88ovr. I seen you said you only edited raw attributes so if your not done yet then disregard what I just posted lol.
Also, because the 90s are reserved for the elite players, consider 80 being a new high quality starter rating...something that Lofton is not yet deserving of IMO.

# 137 DCEBB2001 @ 07/29/10 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anechoic
Hey, I just started following this thread and I do appreciate you keeping EA in check as far as player ratings go. But I've been checking out the ratings, and they don't seem very universal so far. I'm a Packer fan so I've been checking out mostly Green Bay's player ratings, and there are a number that seem off. But I'm going to set those aside to comment on the larger issue here.

A lot of people want the ratings to be more dispersed - have a greater gap between the best and worst players. It sounds like a great idea, but I'm not really convinced that it is. It sort of starts to eliminate "competition." For instance, in Denver, Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn are in competition for the backup quarterback spot. In Madden 11, the two players are pretty much interchangeable so it's mostly personal preference. But if the ratings are stretched, perhaps Quinn would become a 70 and Tebow would drop to a 67 or something. Now, you'd be much more compelled to start Quinn over Tebow. And the truth about the NFL is that the competition is much closer than it is in college football. Even in the NFL, it's not too difficult for someone like Aaron Rodgers to scramble away from defensive ends but if the ratings varied more, that speed difference would show even more, which would make Rodgers look even slower. And when it comes to the discussion of "which player is better," almost no one can agree (like people constantly argue over whether Drew Brees or Peyton Manning is a better quarterback) so it's probably better to have the ratings closer in that case to show how close their skills really are.

Ok, I'm really not sure if all of that was coherent, but I thought I should get some of my opinions out here. Don't know if any of this helps at all.
And I know you didn't mention it, but the reason Finley's SPD is only a 76 is because he only ran a 4.66 at his pro day...he ran a 4.82 at the combine if you would prefer to give him a 69 SPD instead? Keep in mind that the average speed for a TE in the NFL since 1998 has been a 69...or a 4.83 40...which ever you like to use.

# 138 wangtangkiki @ 07/29/10 11:57 AM
Where are they getting the number 14,000? 80 players going into camp.. * 32 = 2,560.

You only go into the regular season with 53 man roster + practice team.. Are there really 11,440 free agents? I'm guessing they are talking about past players as well?

# 139 adembroski @ 07/29/10 01:33 PM
This was the site that brought me into the Madden community back in 2001; glad to see it back

# 140 angels eclipse7 @ 07/29/10 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
No the OVR ratings are up to date as well. The reason that Robinson is as high as he is comes down to his physical attributes. Because Madden has ratings for the physical attributes as well as the gameplay attributes, you have to consider both when rating a player. In Robinson's case, his physical attributes of SPD and ACC make him quite good in that regard...especially considering how fast he really is. Think of the OVR as not necessarily HOW a player will play, but rather the sum of all the parts that may or may not DETERMINE how he will play.

Second, how can you say his speed is too low? Have you seen the other positions and RBs for that matter? The guy only ran a 4.49...not a 4.30. He is not as fast as a lot of people think. Once again, all things being equal...that 85 SPD rating is right where he belongs. The AVG/CAR does NOT determine speed. Speed determines speed. You can take a slow back with a great OL and still have a great average per carry. So please disregard such a statistic as stats do NOT make up a players rating and potential.

Lofton is coming off of ankle and knee problems. Injuries play a part in a player's OVR rating.
But overall rating should be how good a player is. If someone is better than him, it should mean they are better corners than him.

I don't care what his 40 yard was one time. Watch the game film and you will see the dude does have flat out speed. He was to fast on the last madden game but he should be somewhere around an 89 at the minimum IMO.

You are the only one that I have heard say that Lofton's injuries are going to effect him this year. He's never really had a big injury problem as far as I know.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.