Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports has just posted their NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, written by Gameplay Producer Zach Timmerman, as he talks about the "Jordan Challenge" and a few other tidbits.

Quote:
"One thing that hasn’t really been mentioned in all the great coverage today, we spent a tremendous amount of time getting the Historic Bulls teams and their biggest rivals into NBA 2K11. We went out and got the rights to the actual players from each era and spent a ton of time capturing their signature shots, moves, and tendencies. So not only are we building you the perfect Michael Jordan in-game, we are also giving you some of the games great players from yesteryear such as Scottie Pippen, Larry Bird, Dominique Wilkins, and many others. With those guys in the game, it didn’t feel right without adding era specific commentary. I am sure the audio team will get into that more in a future Insight.

For now, here are the Historic Teams that will be immediately available for you to play this year:

1985-86 Chicago Bulls
1985-86 Boston Celtics
1989-90 Chicago Bulls
1989-90 Atlanta Hawks
1989-90 Cleveland Cavaliers
1989-90 Detroit Pistons
1990-91 Chicago Bulls
1990-91 Los Angeles Lakers
1991-92 Chicago Bulls
1991-92 Portland Trailblazers
1994-95 Chicago Bulls
1994-95 New York Knicks
1995-96 Chicago Bulls
1995-96 Seattle Supersonics
1996-97 Chicago Bulls
1996-97 Utah Jazz
1997-98 Chicago Bulls
1997-98 Utah Jazz"

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 221 youvalss @ 07/26/10 11:58 AM
It took 2K probably more than a year to produce APF 2K8. Do you really expect them to produce a game with more teams and players - and in which this is only one mode - in a few months?

# 222 drhale13 @ 07/26/10 01:05 PM
I hope they add the 96-98 Lakers when Kobe was a rookie and Shaq was young, then 96-98 76ers when Allen Iverson was a rookie too.

# 223 23 @ 07/26/10 01:08 PM
Thats not a Jordan Challenge

This is not a wishlist thread either

This is about recreating events of MJ's career... I think you guys have it all wrong and you're missing what the purpose of this entire thing is.

Guys asking for teams that had NOTHING to do with defining moments in MJs career wasnt going to be in here anyhow.

# 224 youvalss @ 07/26/10 01:13 PM
I want the 1891 group of guys that Dr. Naismith coached. Please...pelase...!!!

# 225 VDusen04 @ 07/26/10 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I want the 1891 group of guys that Dr. Naismith coached. Please...pelase...!!!

Only if they have authentic peach baskets and face-offs after each score.

# 226 jd@os @ 07/26/10 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

This is about recreating events of MJ's career... I think you guys have it all wrong and you're missing what the purpose of this entire thing is.

Guys asking for teams that had NOTHING to do with defining moments in MJs career wasnt going to be in here anyhow.
THAAAAAAANK YOUUUUUUU!! Buy this man a drink; and get youvalss one as well. They are not the only ones, but they are among the handful of guys who GET what 2K is doing here. I may need to stop reading these threads for a while, but it's hard not to as a Jordan fan.

Ask yourself this: why is 2K putting historic teams on THIS edition of their NBA game? If you don't know, go back and read some threads. If you do know, then ask yourself this: OK...what do the (insert RANDOM team from the past) have to do with a classic Jordan moment? If the answer is NOTHING, that team probably won't show up as unlockable, downloadable, etc.

I really don't want to sound like a jerk; if I do or if I've offended anyone I really am sorry. I want classic teams as much as the rest of you. But this isn't "The Classic Challenge"; it's "The Jordan Challenge." Jordan. Jor-dan. Maybe 2K will add them in a later game, but like "23" said--this is not a wishlist. Some of you are really setting yourselves up for a disappointment. Ooh ooh ooh--bring Manute Bol's 76ers! C'mon man.

# 227 FamousAtticus @ 07/26/10 02:18 PM
Quote:
Looking back, I'm not sure Anderson would go for the steal. Being swept in the finals...maybe he would have preferred the Bulls playing in the finals, and having a hard time vs. the Rockets.
And MJ's revenge the following year - sweeping the Magic...
Very true, I know those 4 missed free throws still haunt his dreams...if only one of those had gone in, it could have possibly been a series.

# 228 dreihl @ 07/26/10 02:19 PM
Yeah, it does seem many are missing the point about which teams made the cut for this. Jordan had to do something special against them. That's why I said that I'm glad the Pistons let Jordan have a good game against them in the 90 Eastern Conference Finals, because as a result, my favorite team of all-time is in the game. The downside of this is that only two of the teams outside of Chicago on the list actually won championships (a few other may have had it not been for the Bulls). So, it would be nice if maybe through DLC we were treated to a few classics not connected to Jordan.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how the teams will be rated. Expansion during that era watered down the depth of most of the teams. I really don't the think the second 3 Bulls Championship teams were as good as the first three, but assume people will look at their record as assume they were. The truth is they were able to pad those win totals against a lot of rosters full of players that wouldn't have been able to make it the league were it not for expansion. Really, the mid 80s to the early 90s was the very best time for the NBA. Lots of deep rosters and great teams. I hope the 85-86 Celtics and the 89-90 Pistons get their respect when it comes to how they are rated on the game. They should if the developers are really going for authenticity.

# 229 rangerrick012 @ 07/26/10 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
THAAAAAAANK YOUUUUUUU!! Buy this man a drink; and get youvalss one as well. They are not the only ones, but they are among the handful of guys who GET what 2K is doing here. I may need to stop reading these threads for a while, but it's hard not to as a Jordan fan.

Ask yourself this: why is 2K putting historic teams on THIS edition of their NBA game? If you don't know, go back and read some threads. If you do know, then ask yourself this: OK...what do the (insert RANDOM team from the past) have to do with a classic Jordan moment? If the answer is NOTHING, that team probably won't show up as unlockable, downloadable, etc.

I really don't want to sound like a jerk; if I do or if I've offended anyone I really am sorry. I want classic teams as much as the rest of you. But this isn't "The Classic Challenge"; it's "The Jordan Challenge." Jordan. Jor-dan. Maybe 2K will add them in a later game, but like "23" said--this is not a wishlist. Some of you are really setting yourselves up for a disappointment. Ooh ooh ooh--bring Manute Bol's 76ers! C'mon man.
And to add to that the reason for that Suns team being left out seems to be Barkley, whether it's his asking price or him just not wanting to be in a video game period, though you'd think w/ his BFF MJ signed up he'd be down for it. But let's stress - it's only July. There's still a whole 2 months of stuff left, and something like 11 developer insights left. There's still more to come, just be patient. (Though I know that's hard for some, including me at times )

# 230 jd@os @ 07/26/10 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreihl
Yeah, it does seem many are missing the point about which teams made the cut for this. Jordan had to do something special against them. That's why I said that I'm glad the Pistons let Jordan have a good game against them in the 90 Eastern Conference Finals, because as a result, my favorite team of all-time is in the game. The downside of this is that only two of the teams outside of Chicago on the list actually won championships (a few other may have had it not been for the Bulls). So, it would be nice if maybe through DLC we were treated to a few classics not connected to Jordan.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how the teams will be rated. Expansion during that era watered down the depth of most of the teams. I really don't the think the second 3 Bulls Championship teams were as good as the first three, but assume people will look at their record as assume they were. The truth is they were able to pad those win totals against a lot of rosters full of players that wouldn't have been able to make it the league were it not for expansion. Really, the mid 80s to the early 90s was the very best time for the NBA. Lots of deep rosters and great teams. I hope the 85-86 Celtics and the 89-90 Pistons get their respect when it comes to how they are rated on the game. They should if the developers are really going for authenticity.
Excellent post.

And I agree with ya rangerrick. The ONLY team people are complaining about that I totally agree with is the '93 Suns, but you are right--Barkley had some similar issues being on games as Jordan did back in the day. The challenge could be average what MJ did in that series, because he tore the scoresheet up vs the Suns. But not only the challenge...I wouldn't mind actually playing some games with that squad: KJ, Sir Charles, the athletic Richard Dumas, and Thunder Dan were a nice four to have.

# 231 youvalss @ 07/26/10 09:58 PM
Ok, I have a question, and hopefully someone who knows something (behind the scenes, for now) can reply:

I think it would be cool if in any of these MJ Challenges, prior to starting the challenge, we had like a little intro, maybe a short video from the real game. something that would get you in the mood, and briefly explain the context of the events. Is this thing in the game?

And to everyone here, would you like that (if it's not too late)?

# 232 ybtherockstar @ 07/26/10 09:59 PM
Quote:
Ok, I have a question, and hopefully someone who knows something (behind the scenes, for now) can reply:

I think it would be cool if in any of these MJ Challenges, prior to starting the challenge, we had like a little intro, maybe a short video from the real game. something that would get you in the mood, and briefly explain the context of the events. Is this thing in the game?

I am hoping that they do that as well. Sort of like the ufc classic fights in the ufc video games. That would be cool.

# 233 youvalss @ 07/26/10 11:46 PM
Well, not to get the network license hype again, because I really don't care about it...but if we could get some intro for each challenge, imagine intros like this one (only without the network):

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/is...5Td-Chd5woeaEw

It could be the intro to the 69-point game, though I'm not sure. But this is really what gets you in the mood to play classic old games. And to me, this is still by far the best intro ever in sports, by any network.

# 234 jd@os @ 07/27/10 12:11 AM
Quote:

Good idea man. It doesn't even have to be something extravagant. Something like:

(show MJ in a 2K sports or Jordan t-shirt)

"Hello. Welcome to The Jordan Challenge. In this challenge, you will _________."

(show actual footage from real life game, then a little video gameplay footage)

"Good luck."

You don't want MJ going on and on because it would get old, but if you keep it short and sweet it's definitely do-able. Guess they'd have to get the rights to the real life game footage though.

# 235 rangerrick012 @ 07/27/10 02:46 AM
Quote:
Good idea man. It doesn't even have to be something extravagant. Something like:

(show MJ in a 2K sports or Jordan t-shirt)

"Hello. Welcome to The Jordan Challenge. In this challenge, you will _________."

(show actual footage from real life game, then a little video gameplay footage)

"Good luck."

You don't want MJ going on and on because it would get old, but if you keep it short and sweet it's definitely do-able. Guess they'd have to get the rights to the real life game footage though.
I know for TW 10 for the Tiger Challenges, they play a vid before some of the Tiger ones. Something like that would be a nice touch, to hear what MJ's thoughts are on these classic games.

I mean it is the MJ moments, why not go the whole 9 and have the man himself tell you about them.

# 236 youvalss @ 07/27/10 10:04 AM
I'm gonna copy-paste this suggestion in the wishlist thread. Hopefully, it's not too late.

# 237 Grazz1 @ 07/27/10 12:05 PM
Quote:

Great reply. I said something similar, albeit shorter. This is a big step forward. If this game is the best selling basketball game of all time then it should lead onto more classic teams.

Hoping 2K are testing the water with this. Let's all buy it and then pester the 2K team here for full classic teams from the past. Every NBA finalist, or full seasons.

If they are able to edit players looks over the years (as they are with Jordan) then we could ultimately have every player from 1980 to 1998, all changing and aging.

Better than living rosters, NBA 2K LIVING LEGENDS!!

# 238 Grazz1 @ 07/27/10 12:08 PM
By the way, the only real missing teams from this Jordan edition are -

93 Suns
96 Magic (just for the revenge)
98 Pacers. Would be a good challenge. This was all heart and determination as MJ kept driving to the lane with his shot not falling, refusing to lose.

Scottie deserves a huge mention to.

In face (bit off topic now), the worst thing I keep reading in press nowaday when talking about Phil Jackson and his great career is how he had three great players, Shaq, Kobe and MJ. IT's 4!!! 4 GREAT PLAYERS get it right!! Scottie Pippen makes the all time roster of 12 players. He just does. The great Bill Simmons agrees (sorry I ranted there didn't I).

# 239 youvalss @ 07/27/10 12:28 PM
And the '93 Cavs. MJ had another great shot against them.

Scottie Pippen? Top 50 player, not 12-man roster pick for me. I'd pick SF's who could lead a team and took the last shots, drew the defense and were the center of attention for the opposing team. Pippen was great, but doesn't fit this formula. But that's my opinion. I'd pick Bird, Dr. J, Wilkins...and if we're talking about today's players - LBJ. Oh, and Grant Hill in his prime, for sure. Pippen was and will always be the No.2 guy. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't put No.2 guys on the best 12-man roster.

# 240 adembroski @ 07/27/10 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

THUS I shall continue asking for the '93 Suns. Only triple overtime game in Finals History.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.