Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

IGN has just posted their NBA Elite 11 preview.

Quote:
"As I'm sure you know by now, the controls of NBA Elite have been totally remapped since last year's NBA Live 10. The right stick is getting the same treatment that EA Sports' NHL series got so many years ago. The result is an NBA game that feels much more responsive than it has in the past. Every flick of the stick results in either a cool dribble animation or shot and while the early version of the game that I saw didn't stack up very well against NBA 2K11 in terms of authentic player animations, I've gotta say that the responsive of the controls shows a lot of potential for this year as well as years to come.

That said, the five-on-five gameplay still needs some polish before consumers take to the court. I had no problem breaking ankles left and right with crossover moves and nailing outside jumpers with the right analog felt much easier than when I saw the game at E3. The shooting is all supposed to be skill-based, so I'm either an extraordinarily talented NBA Elite player or the difficulty needs some tuning. I'm betting on the latter. EA Sports has assured me that they're in the midst of finding the sweet spot when it comes to overall difficulty, so don't pass judgment until we get our hands on a final build to see if it's been fixed."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 TreyIM2 @ 07/31/10 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I disagree. He did the hands on with one, so he can't do it with the other? That makes no sense. If he was that much in love with 2k, which I doubt, shouldn't that put the onus on Elite to best it correct? I agree that the preview was quite empty. I'm going to assume that he's avoiding saying anything so as to give the game a chance IF it was truly in a raw state. Give him credit for that. But the notion that he can't look at Elite fairly is kinda sketchy.
You TOTALLY are not getting what I'm saying. See what I highlighted in your reply? Re-read BOTH previews then go think about it a minute about what I'm getting at. Never implied that he can't do both, just to give u a head start on your thought processes...

# 22 Rocboyz101 @ 07/31/10 12:36 AM
lol lets be nice.

# 23 Goffs @ 07/31/10 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyayo87
Thats funny cause i just read a the new preview and 2k took what live had last year and implemented it into 2k11. So how much innovation has 2k given to b-ball games.......................... oh yea zero
yeah that shot stick they added for Elite is nice

# 24 mrclutch @ 07/31/10 02:03 AM
Wish I had the 2 minutes of my like back from reading this review. A real snoozer.

# 25 Super Glock @ 07/31/10 02:24 AM
I can't wait to try this game out but I have a feeling it just isn't going to be there this year. Props to the EA team for all the changes but I just don't think there is going to be enough time in one year to make all these changes and expect to have a great playing game. I hope I am wrong but I think there is going to some major "growing pains" this year. But I definitely think the future is bright.

# 26 DGMikeBarker @ 07/31/10 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Glock
I can't wait to try this game out but I have a feeling it just isn't going to be there this year. Props to the EA team for all the changes but I just don't think there is going to be enough time in one year to make all these changes and expect to have a great playing game. I hope I am wrong but I think there is going to some major "growing pains" this year. But I definitely think the future is bright.
I agree. He made it sound like this is not Elite's year, but promising for the future.

# 27 BDM313 @ 07/31/10 07:32 AM
Lazy Read Indeed

# 28 YoungG @ 07/31/10 01:35 PM
elite flite has a point. It really is up to the consumer this year. I commend what ea has done because they're really trying hard to make a solid game. 2k on the other hand is known for the past few years as the number 1 game.

I think that with them trying to change their game around, it will be a very different game...for the better or worse, i don't know. Can't wait for the demos to come out

# 29 rEAnimator @ 07/31/10 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
Who gives the OK to show the game to press without ratings in? That just seems like a bad move, from the outside anyway.
Why not show it? We have nothing to hide.

There were many great things in this build of the game and it was also a great opportunity to get feedback from outside people.

People who review games for a living generally understand what a work in progress is and can see past the things that we clearly haven't finished yet. So having them see a build without particular player ratings or areas that simply haven't been tuned shouldn't really be a concern.

There are lots of great features much closer to being complete in the game that weren't mentioned in the preview, but the feedback he and others gave us at the event was useful and in the end will make for a better final product.

# 30 Jakeness23 @ 08/01/10 04:50 PM
I wish I could like the Elite (Live) series because I used to play Live 2002 like crazy but since 2K came in with just a better game overall I've been playing it instead, especially with the Jordan Challenge in there now. If Live didn't look so much like an Arcade game I'd get it, but I'll be sticking with 2K.

# 31 RayDog253 @ 08/01/10 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Flite
I think we sometimes forget that reviewers are just as human as us. we have heard much praise for elite this year and some that dont believe in the hype. i think that in the end as with us, with them its just a matter of which you prefer.

elite has made many changes and could cause worry because it may seem unfinished. but we also have to look at 2k and how they have gone against their old way of doing things. i like to think that was influenced by pressure but in thought they want to follow suit and stop canned animations.

this could go bad for them because up till now 2k has relied on canned animations.

in the end both will have flaws and both will have shining moments. its up to who you wanna shine with.
Yeah, it's still a wait and see/play for both games right now.

# 32 ILLSmak @ 08/03/10 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMikeBarker
I agree. He made it sound like this is not Elite's year, but promising for the future.
That's pretty obvious IMO. I'm hoping for playable. I like Live and I think the shooting thing is important... but there's just no way they can get this right so quickly. It's gonna be hard year that's why I hope they will be able to adjust it mid-year because it's going to be broken, no offense to the devs. That's just realistically speaking.

It's a huge, huge gamble for them to do this after 10 was as good (IMO) as it was. The one downside of 10 was the out of control shooting, though, so this is a welcome addition to me. If they can keep it like 10 and fix the shooting, that'll be good.

I just hope what they show for the demo has some semblance of order... if they (mess) this up, I am going to be pretty mad at them because I was actually looking forward to 'Elite' even before the shooting news came out.

-Smak

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.