Home
Backbreaker News Post

To anyone who read my Backbreaker Review, you know I've royally trashed the game's quality in the past. But I've also tried to remain consistent with the game being a lasting lesson to sports game developers that there is a different approach than the 'God-angle' many of the games have gone with in the past few years.

To truly simulate a sport, the best way to do so is to get you closer to the action, Backbreaker did just that. However, the game couldn't get the basic tenets of football down, so while the effort was to be honored -- it was still a very bad game at the end of the day.

Until today.

Backbreaker's patch, announced today, looks to completely change the game from the bottom up. The improvements will almost certainly take Backbreaker from a completely atrocious game to at least a somewhat passable game and possibly beyond that. However, what I feel the patch really does is leave a lasting legacy in the minds of gamers on how a company should handle the position of being in the wrong.

Read More - Backbreaker Adding to Legacy with Patch

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Falcons11497 @ 08/02/10 01:05 PM
+1
It was one hell of a patch

# 2 ezio @ 08/02/10 01:14 PM
I agree. it is amazing. I held onto the game to see what the patch would be bring. If it plays as good as it sounds it will be truly amazing.

# 3 Dramaking @ 08/02/10 01:17 PM
wow this is the GOD patch loll

# 4 Epiffani @ 08/02/10 01:33 PM
Didn't read the blog because I think I can understand the premise of what was said in the excerpt from the first post. They could have came up with multiple excuses and did some serious scapegoating being that this was there first year and they could have hung their hat on producing the first football game with real time physics because we were told that it really wasn't possible (at least on the current gen consoles). They could have said that this game has too many problems and is not worth the headache, or they could have been unhappy with the sale figures, and mailed it in similar to what was done with NCAA Basketball 10' all the while leaving fans clamoring and wondering if the series is finish, but they showed confidence in their product, and have decided to stayed the course through the good and more importantly the bad. The patch and how extensive it is, definitely speaks volumes to me as a consumer, and gives me a sort of confidence in them that I didn't have before.

# 5 xylocaine @ 08/02/10 02:26 PM
The patch will be next summer "Backbreaker 2"

# 6 xylocaine @ 08/02/10 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
WTF are you talking about?

what i'm talking about is, good luck with a patch fixing that atrocious game. Nice show of support from the BB team, but that game is dead except for the few hundred diehards. I'll give BB2 another chance but it needs to go back in the oven. It was raw this time. I have to have it at least medium rare.

# 7 Panther84 @ 08/02/10 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocaine
what i'm talking about is, good luck with a patch fixing that atrocious game. Nice show of support from the BB team, but that game is dead except for the few hundred diehards. I'll give BB2 another chance but it needs to go back in the oven. It was raw this time. I have to have it at least medium rare.
Enjoy playing your flawless game....

# 8 mestevo @ 08/02/10 03:16 PM
He's kinda right though, which I presume why you guys decided to insult him rather than prove him wrong. This patch will probably only benefit hundreds of people at this point.

# 9 mvb34 @ 08/02/10 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
He's kinda right though, which I presume why you guys decided to insult him rather than prove him wrong. This patch will probably only benefit hundreds of people at this point.
I agree.. Its not like all of sudden this game will start showing up on shelves at Gamestop..

# 10 KBLover @ 08/02/10 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatisback
It would if they re release a demo post patch so people can try it out. Wouldnt that be the smart thing to do? I expect them to be smart enough to do it.
Yes it would, and after reading the patch notes, it would definitely be a really good idea (it's like they re-developed the game)

But, again, that has nothing to do with what EA has or hasn't done, and I wonder how much it will accomplish. Those who are still watching BB development could be pulled in if they are still researching it, etc - but those who've walked away after the first version (either playing it or reading reviews or playing the first demo) - will they even know of the patch's existence (or care?)

So the question is - how much of those who didn't like the first version (and didn't buy it, as those would be new sales) are still looking at the game and will the patch convince them to pick it up?
How many new sales could it expect to generate?

# 11 xylocaine @ 08/02/10 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther84
Enjoy playing your flawless game....
That's the problem right now, all are flawed... I didn't claim ownership of any did I?

# 12 xylocaine @ 08/02/10 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston_Tiger
Most people who bought this game were not casual football gamers. Most found out about the game through forums such as OS or Youtube. This means that most will be FULLY aware of the patch. To state that it will only effect "hundreds" is completely bases and nothing but a flame.
Have you been online with the game lately... there are VERY few playing. 2 months from the release date and hardly any activity online is not a good sign. I'm not flaming just stating the facts. I think this game has potential, but a patch no matter how good (and shows dedication from the team for sure) will help this game this year. Need to come with a better product and a whole lot better of a marketing approach for the next release to have success.

# 13 Danimal @ 08/02/10 03:40 PM
If it's not clear with the warnings I have given out, this stuff ends now. Want to talk about the article fine.

No arguments on how this patch will be a waste or enlighen the world too Backbreaker. No calling people ignorant and most importantly stop the Madden vs BB arguments.

I don't care how long you've been here, any problems after my message will result in your leaving these forums.

# 14 23 @ 08/02/10 03:41 PM
Plain and simple, any and all EA talk in here will result in you being banned immediately.

Now you can carry on

# 15 xylocaine @ 08/02/10 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatisback
It would if they re release a demo post patch so people can try it out. Wouldnt that be the smart thing to do? I expect them to be smart enough to do it.
I think putting out another demo would be a great idea, not sure if it would help sell a ton of copies this year, but would sure let people know how dedicated they are in developing this game.

# 16 budsticky @ 08/02/10 03:57 PM
I'm extremely impressed at the level of commitment from this dev team to their product. With such a short time to put it out and so much being in the patch there are bound to be some other issues that creep in, but this will surely improve the game immensely. What makes me most impressed with the developers is that they did all the work for this patch knowing that it probably will get them very little in additional sales. Still, they have made their current customer base very happy and this should help them out big time if there is a Backbreaker 2. Way to go devs!

# 17 spankdatazz22 @ 08/02/10 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocaine
I think putting out another demo would be a great idea, not sure if it would help sell a ton of copies this year, but would sure let people know how dedicated they are in developing this game.
That's really not practical imo - or perhaps even doable. I've never seen a game have two demos. I think the best thing the BB devs could hope for is some of the big sites like IGN to take their [*ahem* rose-colored] glasses off and report that there is a patch that addresses a lot of the issues and give appropriate impressions. Just that the BB devs seem to be reaching out to someone like Apex would make me feel they have a decent understanding where there title is in the eyes of sports gamers and that they need to start small/work their way up

# 18 Pared @ 08/02/10 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
That's really not practical imo - or perhaps even doable. I've never seen a game have two demos. I think the best thing the BB devs could hope for is some of the big sites like IGN to take their [*ahem* rose-colored] glasses off and report that there is a patch that addresses a lot of the issues and give appropriate impressions. Just that the BB devs seem to be reaching out to someone like Apex would make me feel they have a decent understanding where there title is in the eyes of sports gamers and that they need to start small/work their way up
With how much it costs to post a demo, they wouldn't do it.

But it is doable. Madden had two demos last year, at least on XBL. Not sure about PSN.

# 19 xylocaine @ 08/02/10 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
So the question is - how much of those who didn't like the first version (and didn't buy it, as those would be new sales) are still looking at the game and will the patch convince them to pick it up?
How many new sales could it expect to generate?
That is a much more constructive way saying the same thing my first post "patch being BackBreaker 2" was trying to say. The patch shows tremendous dedication which I hope they carry forward into there next release, like it or not, I truly think people have moved on from the first BB. I'm a sucker for FB games, I'm sure I'll preorder BB2 just like I preordered BB.

# 20 rooney8 @ 08/02/10 04:37 PM
Man if they can do all that in 2 months BB2 should be a huge leap.
Agree the BB team is so refreshing.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.