Home
NBA JAM News Post

BOOOOOOM-SHAKA-LAKA! EA ANNOUNCES NBA ELITE 11 TO
INCLUDE FREE* DOWNLOADABLE VERSION OF NBA JAM

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – August 3, 2010 – Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq: ERTS) announced today that all new copies of NBA ELITE 11 will include a one-time download code that will enable users to access three modes of NBA JAM – Play Now, Classic Campaign and Online. Already set to revolutionize the way basketball simulation games are played with new Hands-On Control, the inclusion of the NBA JAM modes will make NBA ELITE 11 the ultimate basketball videogame experience available, on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, when it is released on October 5, 2010.

“NBA ELITE 11 is going to change the way basketball videogames are played,” says Jordan Edelstein, Vice President, Marketing, EA SPORTS. “The addition of three free downloadable modes of the award winning NBA JAM is an unprecedented value add to a product that is already set to revolutionize the basketball videogame category”

Winner of eight ‘Best Sports Game of E3’ awards, including the coveted Game Critics Award, NBA JAM has been optimized for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 to truly deliver a next-gen experience of the classic franchise. With Play Now, Classic Campaign, and Online modes included, the downloadable version of NBA JAM, that is available with purchases of NBA ELITE 11, will include a robust single player and multiplayer experience. NBA JAM allows fans to challenge the world, or their friends on the couch, with Online and Play Now, respectively, or climb from worst to first as they take their favorite NBA team through a ladder tournament through the league.

NBA ELITE 11 featuring three modes of NBA JAM will be available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system with an MSRP of $59.99. It is developed by EA Canada in Burnaby, B.C. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI.

EA SPORTS™ is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, global videogame competitions and breakthrough digital experiences. EA SPORTS delivers personal access to the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports simulation videogames, including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA ELITE basketball, NCAA® Football, Fight Night boxing, EA SPORTS MMA and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® golf, and EA SPORTS Active.

For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums and game apps, please visit www.easports.com to connect, share and compete.

Game: EA Sports NBA JAMReader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPad / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 16 - View All
EA Sports NBA JAM Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Pared @ 08/03/10 01:37 PM
Those downplaying this might as well join the group saying Jordan won't matter.

This is HUGE news, and absolutely brilliant. Elite is the money maker, not Jam. To include Jam as an incentive... they're pulling all the stops.

# 82 Dantecamp21 @ 08/03/10 01:44 PM
NBA 2K11 will be stronger than ever come this october, so EA is afraid their product won't even have the chance to reach people's house and compete.

We might be missing the point that EA really want us to try the game. Maybe they feel they really have something special in Elite.

I know I shouldn't, but once again I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...

# 83 gmac0322 @ 08/03/10 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDM313
Good News.....This Isnt The News We Expected Today Is It?. Bring On The Gameplay Vids!...Even If Its Only 1 Vid Ill Be Happy!.
where did you hear that this isn't the news?

# 84 BreakingBentsch @ 08/03/10 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknows
People who say that EA is desperate or this is a bad move, why?....
The big difference is that because MJ is in 2k11 doesn't change the product. You simply buy 2k11. With Elite, you have to buy 2 things. For many people, that's one game too much, which they would love to purchase, maybe with even a higher price, but therefore get the story or legends mode, whatever you wanna call it.

And I think only a few say it's a bad move, financially (because it probably won't be), but EA's fooling with some people here. (And yeah yeah, those won't even count because they make enough money anyway by including Jam. Don't always pick out the little things you guys^^)

# 85 noshun @ 08/03/10 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Elite is the money maker, not Jam. To include Jam as an incentive..
This doesnt make sense.. you shouldnt need an incentive to buy a moneymaker. The moneymaker should do well on its own. Its obvious EA know projection sales(hypothetical) of their game is fringe right now. NBA Jam isnt even Wii exclusive anymore.

EA is desperate..NBA Jam in no way "revolutionizes" Elite gameplay whatsoever? Outside of this supposed Legendary Mode in Elite, or Be a Pro, this game hinges on those feigning for Jam. That should be your cue that EA isnt confident in just Elite by itself.

# 86 Pared @ 08/03/10 01:58 PM
It doesn't make sense to you. It makes perfect sense to those that know you won't even try the game.

How many posts here are "man, I'm not even trying this game EA can't make a good basketball game?"

It's all over the forums and you'd have to be blind to miss them.

NBA Jam is THAT much fun. They're just giving you even MORE incentive to give their new "big" NBA game a shot.

It's great marketing for a game that many felt had absolutely nothing on it compared to the Jordan announcement. To act like this won't draw interest when everyone was saying a few weeks ago "put it on PS3/360 and I'll buy it" is silly.

# 87 Purch @ 08/03/10 02:03 PM
Quote:
It doesn't make sense to you. It makes perfect sense to those that know you won't even try the game.

How many posts here are "man, I'm not even trying this game EA can't make a good basketball game?"

NBA Jam is THAT much fun. They're just giving you even MORE incentive to give their new "big" NBA game a shot.

It's great marketing for a game that many felt had absolutely nothing on it compared to the Jordan announcement. To act like this won't draw interest when everyone was saying a few weeks ago "put it on PS3/360 and I'll buy it" is silly.
Exactly. The people who have been critisizing this decision in the thread 90% of them had no intention to even try the elite demo in the first place. And by try I don't mean play, by try I mean don't play it with the mindset that saids " this is gonna be a sucky game" before you start the demo

# 88 Jano @ 08/03/10 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purch
Exactly. The people who have been critisizing this decision in the thread 90% of them had no intention to even try the elite demo in the first place. And by try I don't mean play, by try I mean don't play it with the mindset that saids " this is gonna be a sucky game" before you start the demo
Exactly this is a great move when it concerns those that may want to give Elite a chance.

If you are already thinking Elite is going to be terrible then of course its not going to be an incentive lol!

Because there was not much that could sway you into wanting to play the game in the first place.

# 89 ataman5 @ 08/03/10 02:13 PM
Quote:

QFT and thank you, ,i couldn't have said it better.

If you talk about marketing, that's how it should be.if you build a game from the scratch, on the other hand 2k is building on what they already have,ea had only 1 chance to counter Jordan hype with a new game mode but they don't have time while building the new game from zero ground so what they did with this announcement is definitely a great move.

# 90 rdmcfall @ 08/03/10 02:13 PM
Noshun's point about the moneymaker is key. 2K is the champ, both critically and financially right now, and they stepped their game up with Jordan/classic teams as the "incentive." EA picked a hell of year to re-brand, and simply as a matter of survival, they had to match the 2K's incentive with one of their own.

However, while EA may pick up increased sales through Elite now, it's a very aggressive model that could cannibalize its own potential Jam sales. I have all 3 systems and planned on buying Jam from the first announcement, but what used to be a sure fire 50.00 purchase on Wii has turned into a "maybe I'll buy it or maybe I won't" HD proposition on the 360. It just seems like EA is cutting outself out of 2 huge markets (XBLA and PSN) when they don't have to...just swallow your pride, admit you want Jam cash cow on Live and PSN, and stop forcing customer decisions when you're going to lose that NBA2k battle already at the register. It's a bold move to be sure, but the potential backlash is HUGE, imo of course.

# 91 Pared @ 08/03/10 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmcfall
However, while EA may pick up increased sales through Elite now, it's a very aggressive model that could cannibalize its own potential Jam sales. I have all 3 systems and planned on buying Jam from the first announcement, but what used to be a sure fire 50.00 purchase on Wii has turned into a "maybe I'll buy it or maybe I won't" HD proposition on the 360. It just seems like EA is cutting outself out of 2 huge markets (XBLA and PSN) when they don't have to...just swallow your pride, admit you want Jam cash cow on Live and PSN, and stop forcing customer decisions when you're going to lose that NBA2k battle already at the register. It's a bold move to be sure, but the potential backlash is HUGE, imo of course.
This is how I see it:

If Jam does well, you'll get another title with new rosters. It will also help boost sales for Elite. It gets you to try Elite when you would have otherwise. It will also help you realize that you like Jam as well.

It's no different than NFL 2k5 selling for $20. It's an added incentive. Be realistic, need it to get over the stigma that their game has throughout the typical basketball consumer.

People will buy Elite just to play Jam on their 360/PS3. People will buy 2k's game just because it has Jordan on the cover.

It's smart marketing.

# 92 NoTiCe_O @ 08/03/10 02:24 PM
Quote:
This is how I see it:

If Jam does well, you'll get another title with new rosters. It will also help boost sales for Elite. It gets you to try Elite when you would have otherwise. It will also help you realize that you like Jam as well.

It's no different than NFL 2k5 selling for $20. It's an added incentive. Be realistic, need it to get over the stigma that their game has throughout the typical basketball consumer.

People will buy Elite just to play Jam on their 360/PS3. People will buy 2k's game just because it has Jordan on the cover.

It's smart marketing.
Yea, that's how i feel .. With Nba Jam as incentive it will get people to try NBA Elite, which could end up being a great game that a lot of people are sleeping on. The people skeptic about elite but not so skeptic about Nba Jam could be thinking right now. Should i just buy NBA Jam for 50 bucks on Wii or get it for 60 on ps3/360 with NBA Elite for an extra 10 bucks. Not to mention online gives any game unlimited replay value because your always playing someone different.

I'm actually excited about playing NBA Jam online lol

# 93 noshun @ 08/03/10 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmcfall
Noshun's point about the moneymaker is key. 2K is the champ, both critically and financially right now, and they stepped their game up with Jordan/classic teams as the "incentive." EA picked a hell of year to re-brand, and simply as a matter of survival, they had to match the 2K's incentive with one of their own.

There are some people may want to just play Jam without buying Elite for PS3/360. So for those that dont really want Elite.. how is this going to work out for them?
Would I play Jam, yeah I would at some point, but would I want to buy Elite to do so? No, as Im already going to purchase multiple copies of the other NBA game on different platforms.
Im pretty sure EA has this planned out so that a few months after Elite drops you'll eventually see them make XBLA/PSN releases.. its inevitable to be a money maker that way.

# 94 blues rocker @ 08/03/10 02:25 PM
this move strikes me as a desperate gimmick to get people to buy Elite. It's smart business, I guess, but it's still a desperate gimmick. I guess I can't blame them - they have to do everything they can to draw attention to their game and increase sales.

# 95 NoTiCe_O @ 08/03/10 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
this move strikes me as a desperate gimmick to get people to buy Elite. It's smart business, I guess, but it's still a desperate gimmick. I guess I can't blame them - they have to do everything they can to draw attention to their game and increase sales.
Think about it ..

If you opened up a brand new Restaurant right next to your best competition, lets say 99 restaurant. You would be likely give away free dinner coupons or some type of incentive for people to try your food, because they would be skeptical of a new restaurant. They could think "Hey, that's a good deal, I'll try it .. It is Free", then eventually try your food an think its good or even better than 99. Therefore giving you more credibility and overall more customers and sales.

Its kinda the same thing here .. Elite is a new game on the market, people are gonna be skeptical, so they're giving them an incentive to at least try it. If you don't like it you can always return it and you still get NBA Jam for free. They can't take that back

# 96 Live_4real @ 08/03/10 02:43 PM
Once again, EA´s Community Manager damaging the developers work

Is this a good idea to sell more??? YES
Is this an incentive for people that stop trusting this franchise??? Yes
Is this the BIG Elite news that Mr blackflash83 hyped??? NO, meaning another reason to not trust what these people say

If this was intended to come out August 3rd, no problem, just give the news people would like it, JAM is a lot of fun

By hyping a information that by no means elevate the value of the NBA ELITE GAME, just damages the possible value of it in the eyes of the doubters/haters

I am a intelligent consumer, I will buy this game if the NBA ELITE team did their job, like I think they did. What is very curious is that, the development team tries to have the community feedback, they even gave us very early videos, so that we could see what they were doing, and wanting to know what we thought about them.
Because they understood that without us, they are nothing, and they know that we understand basketball.

Now we see the marketing guys, that are calling us ignorants, hyping BREAKING NEWS, that have nothing to do with the actual quality of the game

I understand that this game will be changing until the last day, the changes are huge, and the time is reduced, I understand that the team is working hard and few information can come out at this point, I understand that something has to come out, even if it is not related to the game´s quality, I understand that this is great news for everyone that is going to buy the game...

But the question is who is 100% sure to buy the game (noticing that the consumer in the last couple of years noticed the lack of work and dedication to the all time franchise fans)???

This is the reason why you don´t hype this kind of information, you hype information that will come latelly that will determine the quality of the game, so can someone tell Mr. blackflash83 ....

Let the dev work speak by itself
Let the demo speak by itself

and most importantly

LET THE GAME QUALITY SPEAK BY ITSELF
(without promising breaking news, and blogs everyday)

And stop giving reasons to doubters/haters to not trust information you put out, damaging this teams credibility and ultimately hurting NBA ELITE franchise

Good news nonetheless

PeAcE

# 97 coolcras7 @ 08/03/10 02:44 PM
This is a good move for people who were going to buy Elite from the get go and people who were thinking about buying both games, but it is no way big enough news to get EA the media attention it would need to be any real competition for 2k11, with the inclusion of Jordan 2k will get free press from now till release everyone will know he is in a game again, so unless EA is planning an extreme marketing campaign to get this news this will only keep people who are already Elite fans happy and excited.

# 98 coolcras7 @ 08/03/10 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Flite

This is no gimmick is marketing at its best. the way developers have been talking its obvious elite will be a great in its own right. I imagine that the reason NBA Jam was a Wii exclusive was to keep it's wonderful sense of nostalgia from taking away from the sales of Elite.
Which means nothing it is the developers job to sell the game, until we get some real hands on of the final product we have nothing to really go on about how the game will actually play, so far all we have IGN hands on from a not final build and it was less than stellar reviews, I have said from the get go that Elite will not be able to take 100 percent advantage for there new Physic system this year so them including another reason to buy there game is a good idea, will it work who know Oct 5 will tell.

# 99 CX1329 @ 08/03/10 03:25 PM
This is the Elite forum, not the 2K forum. There's far too much EA bashing and too many people wearing 2K glasses in this thread.

EA is not forcing you to play NBA Jam, and it was never in their plans to release NBA Jam as a stand-alone game anyway, so it really is a bonus that you may either take or leave.

Funny, when 2K does something different, everybody goes "OMG 2K IS TEH BEST!!111!", but when it's EA, they're desperate and trying to make more money. (Seriously? A company trying to make money? How new and revolutionary! I guess 2K never does anything to make money.)

I'm not saying Elite will be a great product, but all this brutal EA bashing is hypocritical and unnecessary.

P.S.: The Jordan license is there to increase sales for 2K, not because they're some sort of beacon of innocence that's intent on making everyone happy.

# 100 23 @ 08/03/10 03:27 PM
With that said, the next ridiculous diatribe of EA vs 2k in here you will be banned with no warning or questions asked

This is your warning

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.