Home
NHL 11 News Post

Quote:
"Building up your own team and turning them into a bunch of superstars is what every Franchise Mode is about at its core. While traditionally the game mode presents you with a stable of established athletes, NHL 11 is putting a different slant on the popular feature by giving it the Ultimate Team treatment that both FIFA and Madden have enjoyed over the past few years (but this time it'll come with the retail release, not as downloadable content). For those that don't know, Ultimate Team lets players live out some of their childhood fantasies by collecting player trading cards and then using them in-game. NHL 11 is taking the idea a bit further by putting your Ultimate Team up against the throng of others that are out there in the new Ultimate Team Hockey League (UTHL).

It's what EA Sports is touting as the largest dynasty mode to ever be featured in a sports game and, judging from the fact that it incorporates every other UTHL team at least somewhat into your experience, I'm compelled to agree."

Source - IGN: NHL 11 Gets the Ultimate Team Treatment

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Lordofthething @ 08/03/10 08:13 PM
Call me crazy but it looks like it might be fun...

# 2 SinisterAlex @ 08/03/10 08:15 PM
I'll pass on this. If it's ANYTHING like FIFA's or Madden's I'm staying clear of this.

# 3 pf8363 @ 08/03/10 08:25 PM
looks really fun actually... but how do you go about earning pucks? considering its ea i wouldnt be surprised if you had to, or were given an option to buy them with real $$

# 4 Lordofthething @ 08/03/10 08:26 PM
I wonder what TWF stands for for player type... Two way forward perhaps?

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/...3050354870.jpg

# 5 SinisterAlex @ 08/03/10 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pf8363
looks really fun actually... but how do you go about earning pucks? considering its ea i wouldnt be surprised if you had to, or were given an option to buy them with real $$
Well in Madden you could either buy them (there were different amounts of "points" you could buy).

Or I think you could earn them through winning games. That's one of the main things I hate about this Ultimate Team stuff.

You spend money on these points to buy these players, then once the players contract is about to run out, you gotta buy contract extensions to prolong the life of the card. Then when he retires, you just lost the card you paid for with real money. It's a cash grab to me.

I just wish they'd make Be a GM mode ONLINE, I don't want to pay for cards just to take my custom team online...

# 6 plaidchuck @ 08/03/10 08:31 PM
Would be cool if everyone played fair and all, but the first time I cheesed/glitched by some kid who just bought every card and upgrade- I'll be done

# 7 Gagnon39 @ 08/03/10 09:22 PM
Didn't even finish watching the video. No thanks. Only thing I care about is offline dynasty.

# 8 centauris @ 08/03/10 09:34 PM
I didn't play Ultimate team in FIFA or Madden much but I think i'll play it a lot since I love hockey so much.,.

I just wish they didn't allow you to buy points.. it doesn't make it even. at all.

# 9 Diehardfan @ 08/04/10 12:16 AM
They cant put in a feature thats in Madden, FIFA and NBA Elite but they waste their time putting in this useless junk for free. With NHL2K down for the count there are a load of leagues with nowhere to go and willing to buy the points for an online dynasty.....EA, what in the world are you thinking?

# 10 Lubey @ 08/04/10 12:29 AM
Loved it in FIFA, and I think it'll be even better in NHL.

# 11 onlybygrace @ 08/04/10 12:53 AM
Okay...a couple questions about Ultimate Team. It says there are monthly seasons. Ok, cool.

Are the seasons a set length? For example, does every team in the 'league' play a set amount of games or what?

Then...are the stats from around the league trackable. Is it possible to see which player is leading the league in goals, etc???

If there is a set amount of games and an organized schedule + viewable league stats, this might be pretty damn cool actually. Also, can there be duplicate players in one league? Can two teams have Sydney Crosby, for example?

Any answers to these quesions would rock. Thanks.

# 12 Gagnon39 @ 08/04/10 03:26 AM
Let me get this straight...

This is what Sean Ramjagsihgn (sp?) siad was the "most addictive mode he's every played."? Really? Come on now.

# 13 tabulaRasa @ 08/04/10 03:28 AM
Looked cheesy and boring to me... but hey, maybe someone likes it

# 14 Gagnon39 @ 08/04/10 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
Looked cheesy and boring to me... but hey, maybe someone likes it
I'd rather they spent the development time on making the puck spin when it's shot.

# 15 BlueNGold @ 08/04/10 04:07 AM
I'm surprised so many people are hating on this. I think it's a great addition.

There's some other games out there where you question if it's really worth the full $60 price tag but with this game there's no doubt IMO that it's definitely worth every dollar.

I'm assuming someone will find some kind of way to screw around with the online league and have some truly "ultimate" team but hopefully there is an offline version of this like Madden had where you can just play the CPU, earn coins and collect cards. I'll have fun doing that.

# 16 milesizdead @ 08/04/10 05:46 AM
Yeah might be fun for those moments when your club isnīt online yet

Just hate that spending money on the cards is an option...

# 17 Money99 @ 08/04/10 08:42 AM
This sounds like a cool edition, but I probably won't use it all that much.

What I'm really hoping to hear is that there will be online Dynasty modes with 29 of your other friends. That's what I've been wanting for years now.

# 18 SinisterAlex @ 08/04/10 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
This sounds like a cool edition, but I probably won't use it all that much.

What I'm really hoping to hear is that there will be online Dynasty modes with 29 of your other friends. That's what I've been wanting for years now.
This. If Madden can do it, why can't we?

# 19 ScottGer76 @ 08/04/10 10:19 AM
The most important thing for me is the GM mode offline. Hopefully, they will improve the AI and the GM mode. However, it is EA and I will have my doubts.

# 20 plaidchuck @ 08/04/10 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapdinger69
yay another mode to fiddle with! Is it just me or can we get the whole playing hockey part right, fix the AI, fix all the other bugs, fix the other modes issues and THEN worry about adding another mode? To each their own but I feel like my head will explode every time i see someone complaining there are no playoff beards because that is the symbol of a complete hockey game!! GRR!! I will go get my morning coffee now....
My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately it seems each year they have to release something gimmicky, I guess to attract first time buyers.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.