Home
NHL 11 News Post

Quote:
"Building up your own team and turning them into a bunch of superstars is what every Franchise Mode is about at its core. While traditionally the game mode presents you with a stable of established athletes, NHL 11 is putting a different slant on the popular feature by giving it the Ultimate Team treatment that both FIFA and Madden have enjoyed over the past few years (but this time it'll come with the retail release, not as downloadable content). For those that don't know, Ultimate Team lets players live out some of their childhood fantasies by collecting player trading cards and then using them in-game. NHL 11 is taking the idea a bit further by putting your Ultimate Team up against the throng of others that are out there in the new Ultimate Team Hockey League (UTHL).

It's what EA Sports is touting as the largest dynasty mode to ever be featured in a sports game and, judging from the fact that it incorporates every other UTHL team at least somewhat into your experience, I'm compelled to agree."

Source - IGN: NHL 11 Gets the Ultimate Team Treatment

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 adayinthelife @ 08/04/10 11:35 AM
I'm sure I'll check this mode out, but, for whatever reason seeing this has made me start to think that BAGM is going to be exactly the same this year as it was last year...

# 22 ComaFaction @ 08/04/10 11:47 AM
Looks kind of fun to me.

# 23 ericromain @ 08/04/10 12:03 PM
Aside from a token BAGM season, all i play is 1v1 online vs. and I hate how it's just a string of meaningless exhibition games. Ultimate team puts meaning into my 1v1 online play. All those game i'm playing are working toward something. I think i'll like tinkering with my roster and stuff.

# 24 LuGer33 @ 08/04/10 12:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how you can call Ultimate Team a "gimmick" when it's as deep, if not deeper than offline BAP/BAGM.

# 25 akula @ 08/04/10 03:57 PM
I don't understand adding all these modes.. Battle for the cup, be a pro, GM/dynasty mode, ultimate team, play now, eashl, practice mode

IMPROVE THE EXISTING MODES, PRESENTATION AND GAMEPLAY

# 26 BlueNGold @ 08/04/10 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akula
I don't understand adding all these modes.. Battle for the cup, be a pro, GM/dynasty mode, ultimate team, play now, eashl, practice mode

IMPROVE THE EXISTING MODES, PRESENTATION AND GAMEPLAY
What? All those modes were in last year.

# 27 Raijin @ 08/04/10 04:59 PM
Ya know, I'm starting to think some of the fans/players of this series are gettin a bit spoiled. The game has been improved upon and will continue to be in the future. But instead of people looking at the positives, they complain about the few negatives that exist in the game. Not everybody can be happy, I guess...

# 28 onlybygrace @ 08/04/10 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Okay...a couple questions about Ultimate Team. It says there are monthly seasons. Ok, cool.

Are the seasons a set length? For example, does every team in the 'league' play a set amount of games or what?

Then...are the stats from around the league trackable. Is it possible to see which player is leading the league in goals, etc???

If there is a set amount of games and an organized schedule + viewable league stats, this might be pretty damn cool actually. Also, can there be duplicate players in one league? Can two teams have Sydney Crosby, for example?

Any answers to these quesions would rock. Thanks.
Anybody have answers to these questions??? Luger, maybe???

# 29 onlybygrace @ 08/04/10 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
NHL 11 is a day one purchase for me, regardless.

But UT is kind of like the lottery. It's a tax on stupid people. I can't blame EA, as it seems like they have plenty of customers willing to spend a lot of money on this.

I'd love to see the numbers on what gamers ended up spending on this mode.
In a way, it sort of reflects real hockey. Gotta spend to win.

But I'm with you...we spent our 60 dollars already, now get out of our pockets.

There should be separate leagues for those who want to pay for cards and those who'd rather work their way up though playing the game.

# 30 onlybygrace @ 08/04/10 10:52 PM
Just found out from Luger that the 'seasons' in Ultimate Hockey League are not set amount of games but you can play as many games during the month as you want. This bears no semblance of a league at all.

What about this sounds right to any of you??? Seems to me like there should be a set schedule (20 games perhaps) and the season would have some structure.

For instance, in the 'standings' will a team thats 56-20-8 (.714) be ranked ahead of a team thats 17-3-0 (.750)???

Sort of kills my interest...unfortunately. Just seems so obvious.

# 31 LuGer33 @ 08/05/10 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooShay
Um... Thats not a good thing, if thats true we have a problem
No we don't.

Contracts
Team Chemistry
Player chemistry
Drafting (random cards)
Training
Player progression
Standings
Seasons
Scouting
Trading
Retiring players
Championships
Tournaments
Prizes
Free agency
Preseason
Off seasons
Playoffs

Quote:
Just found out from Luger that the 'seasons' in Ultimate Hockey League are not set amount of games but you can play as many games during the month as you want. This bears no semblance of a league at all.
It's a league in the exact same sense the EASHL is a league. Not sure what you're not getting really.

# 32 onlybygrace @ 08/05/10 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
No we don't.

Contracts
Team Chemistry
Player chemistry
Drafting (random cards)
Training
Player progression
Standings
Seasons
Scouting
Trading
Retiring players
Championships
Tournaments
Prizes
Free agency
Preseason
Off seasons
Playoffs

It's a league in the exact same sense the EASHL is a league. Not sure what you're not getting really.
I just don't like the lack of structure in terms of schedules. I think monthly seasons are great, but I just wish each team had a set amount of games to play. I think its a fair complaint...I'm not a big complainer, if you haven't noticed.

# 33 Qb @ 08/05/10 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I'm sure I'll check this mode out, but, for whatever reason seeing this has made me start to think that BAGM is going to be exactly the same this year as it was last year...
Be A GM IS NOT exactly the same as last year, take that to the bank. Can't wait to get the OK to share what I know about the improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericromain
Aside from a token BAGM season, all i play is 1v1 online vs. and I hate how it's just a string of meaningless exhibition games. Ultimate team puts meaning into my 1v1 online play. All those game i'm playing are working toward something. I think i'll like tinkering with my roster and stuff.
I think you -- and countless others -- are the type of NHL gamers who will really enjoy HUT. I'm not much for online versus, but it's definitely a large portion of the NHL community and HUT will provide a great alternative to simple ranked versus games.

If online versus isn't your thing, you still have EASHL, BAP, and GM mode. One of my initial thoughts after the NHL11 overview presentation by Litty was, "man, this game is going to have something for everyone..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
I just don't like the lack of structure in terms of schedules. I think monthly seasons are great, but I just wish each team had a set amount of games to play. I think its a fair complaint...I'm not a big complainer, if you haven't noticed.
I can see your point. In much the same way that the EASHL can favor teams that play an inordinate amount of games, HUT could as well. But keep in mind EASHL standings weren't entirely based on total GP or wins, as our team was rather highly ranked at times despite having far fewer GPs than other teams. I suspect HUT will take a similar approach.

# 34 Qb @ 08/05/10 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooShay
Is it like Fifa's career mode???
I assume you're referring to FIFA combining BAP & MM into Career Mode, right? If so, then no, BAP & GM are still separate modes.

# 35 adayinthelife @ 08/05/10 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Be A GM IS NOT exactly the same as last year, take that to the bank. Can't wait to get the OK to share what I know about the improvements.
Well then I certainly can't wait either! I was really stoked for it last year and in the end NHL 10 was probably my least played hockey game of the last 4-5 years.

# 36 Qb @ 08/05/10 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
Well then I certainly can't wait either! I was really stoked for it last year and in the end NHL 10 was probably my least played hockey game of the last 4-5 years.
Just curious... why?

I'll admit I never got a dynasty off the ground as it never really captured me. But I still played a lot between EASHL, playing along with the Penguins schedule, and playoff mode (on hiatus for a week or two up 1-0 on Boston in the ECF).

# 37 SinisterAlex @ 08/05/10 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Just curious... why?

I'll admit I never got a dynasty off the ground as it never really captured me. But I still played a lot between EASHL, playing along with the Penguins schedule, and playoff mode (on hiatus for a week or two up 1-0 on Boston in the ECF).
If I were him, I'd say NHL 10 was a let down because it gave no real big changes like NHL 11 has. NHL 10 was pretty much NHL 09 version two. I haven't touched NHL 10 in months, I've lost interest in that game, few more weeks and I'll be playing the NHL 11 Demo non stop.

# 38 Qb @ 08/05/10 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLegend
If I were him, I'd say NHL 10 was a let down because it gave no real big changes like NHL 11 has. NHL 10 was pretty much NHL 09 version two. I haven't touched NHL 10 in months, I've lost interest in that game, few more weeks and I'll be playing the NHL 11 Demo non stop.
Fair enough... like I said, just curious. I know for me manual passing and some of the other additions were huge for my offline enjoyment, but I still couldn't get into a BAGM. I am excited for this year's GM mode... should be much improved.

# 39 adayinthelife @ 08/05/10 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Just curious... why?

On the surface GM mode was great, but it just didn't work when you got right into it. My problems with it were basically what has been well documented on these forums so I won't get into that. While I really loved the idea behind it, it just wasn't executed very well and/or led to more problems which ultimately made it feel much less polished than NHL 09's admittedly barebones dynasty mode. NHL 08 I played through 2.5 seasons in dynasty (playing every game). NHL 09 I played through nearly 4 seasons (again, every game). NHL 10? Played up til the trade deadline in season 1.

The gameplay refinements and manual passing, tuner sets and general flow of the game were improved for sure. However, dynasty or GM mode is my main squeeze with these games so it really sucked the life out of it for me.

As for EASHL, I loved it in 09 until it was overrun with cheapness. What little I played in 10 didn't feel much different and honestly those ridiculous equipment options killed it for me. I know it's petty but whatever, I play hockey 12 months a year and it was awesome having my real gear on my dude rather than some of the stupid **** they had in 10.

I'm not saying it was a bad game at all, more that the main modes that I play were pretty sloppy.

The upside to all of this is that on top of all the awesome new features we've seen so far, I'm also craving NHL 11 even more because I didn't get my full hockey fix in 10.

# 40 plaidchuck @ 08/05/10 09:03 PM
May be off-topic but since this is the hot thread.. My main beefs as far as the non-gameplay aspects of BAP and BAGM:

No customizable season length: This is the number one problem, and why I played my 29 game franchise with 2k10. With my schedule in the fall, if I played all 82 games (and usually by the time the sliders have been tweaked for realistic stats you need to have about 8-10 min periods), honestly NHL12 would be out by the time I was in the playoffs. It would be even better and more amazing if they allowed customizible seasons in BAP.

The trade/minor league engine: I guess it's not so bad in BAGM if you turn the cap or the trades off and start after the draft, but in BAP the trades are just ridiculous (I was picked #3 or so for Toronto and suddenly I'm playing with Kaberle and Brind'amour in the AHL..) That and the fact it was impossible to stay in the NHL at first unless you were putting up 5 points a night.. sorry but a #1-#10 pick isn't going to the minors unless he is having an implosion of Yashin like proportions..

Sim engine: 'nuff said, although this is probably the trickiest thing for them to fix, it just seems way too random. Seeing Florida and Edmonton playing for the cup in the 2010 season certainly wasn't amusing..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.