Home
Backbreaker News Post

The "Greathouse" patch for Backbreaker is now available for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

To find out what's in the patch, click here.

Here's some quick thoughts...

The CPU is better but could probably be even better. Time will tell on this one.
CPU can run. CPU can pass.
Sometimes the safeties just don't go after the ball resulting in an easy catch and other times they do. Probably has to do with focus ratings but doesn't look right when they sit back.
Instant replay is okay. It's not in the same league as WEs or NFL2k5 but after original version, you can see what's going on and have multiple views.
Teams may have been edited.

It looks like they did a bang up job! Time will tell on how it holds up.

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 141 DaveDQ @ 08/09/10 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
Not at all, but I am conditioned to expect not to get drilled as soon as the ball is handed off as much as it is occurring post patch. Not even remotely realistic the number of times I am seeing that occurring. Can't say it's much better for the CPU either. Not sure what difficulty your on but on Hard it is near impossible to run effectively and I can't play on Medium because the CPU doesn't' generate enough offense on Medium to legitimately compete with me. Don't want more big plays just less plays that get blown immediately.

Basically for me after the patch I am finding passing to be too easy with the pass blocking seeming too perfect now and the run game to be completely screwed up. Hard is one thing, but it shouldn't be insanely hard because o-linemen routinely let guys go unblocked even when they have advantage in numbers upfront or can't hold their blocks for more than 2 seconds. That is what I am seeing on replays and that is not remotely realistic.

I had no problems running the ball prepatch either, was getting a very realistic YPC.
Right now I feel like either running isn't fast enough or I'm not doing the right thing when I'm running. I don't feel like the runner hits the whole fast enough but at the same time, this is a contact sport. Contact is going to stop progression and forward motion. Yes, it seems to be stopping too easily, but I'm wondering if it's on me and how I'm controlling my runner.

I say that it could be runner speed because yes, the CPU running is awful. That's where I see the flaw. There are far too many negative yardage plays.

I'm playing on Pro-Medium and feel ok, but I can see the issue where passing is becoming easy and running isn't. I still want to give it more time though. I don't want to open up a BB vs Madden or 2K can of worms, but I know for certain that my frustration with Madden is the inability for it to properly render collisions. Maybe BB is the under end of the spectrum where the collision is causing too much of a stop in progression.

I still need to get back in the game to make a better judgement.

# 142 mgoblue678 @ 08/09/10 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Right now I feel like either running isn't fast enough or I'm not doing the right thing when I'm running. I don't feel like the runner hits the whole fast enough but at the same time, this is a contact sport. Contact is going to stop progression and forward motion. Yes, it seems to be stopping too easily, but I'm wondering if it's on me and how I'm controlling my runner.

I say that it could be runner speed because yes, the CPU running is awful. That's where I see the flaw. There are far too many negative yardage plays.

I'm playing on Pro-Medium and feel ok, but I can see the issue where passing is becoming easy and running isn't. I still want to give it more time though. I don't want to open up a BB vs Madden or 2K can of worms, but I know for certain that my frustration with Madden is the inability for it to properly render collisions. Maybe BB is the under end of the spectrum where the collision is causing too much of a stop in progression.

I still need to get back in the game to make a better judgement.
To me the issue is simply the run blocking , though Phobia brings up a good point about the ball carriers lacking a little in agility and explosiveness.

The thing is I don't feel it is has anything to do with me not controlling the runner properly, when you get hit as soon as you get the ball as the RB there is not much you can do. Believe me I have watched replays to check to see if I was simply missing lanes or something on some plays, but most of the time all I see is unblocked guys busting through or defenders in the backfield immediately with really nowhere to go. Not to mention like I mentioned I was pretty effective at running prepatch.

# 143 Phobia @ 08/09/10 10:58 AM
I think some has t do with the running animations. There is no explosiveness in BB.

For instance, look at the jukes in this video. That is a standard BB juke, just looks bad. Does not convey speed correctly and the agility players have in the NFL.

Now compare that to a high level running back in the NFL. Bush, L.T., A.P., Chris Johnson.

This is one of the biggest things holding back my enjoyment out of BB.

# 144 Phobia @ 08/09/10 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
To me the issue is simply the run blocking , though Phobia brings up a good point about the ball carriers lacking a little in agility and explosiveness.

The thing is I don't feel it is has anything to do with me not controlling the runner properly, when you get hit as soon as you get the ball as the RB there is not much you can do. Believe me I have watched replays to check to see if I was simply missing lanes or something on some plays, but most of the time all I see is unblocked guys busting through or defenders in the backfield immediately with really nowhere to go. Not to mention like I mentioned I was pretty effective at running prepatch.
I am seeing same thing. Has nothing to do with my stick skills. My O-line is just completely missing blocks OR they are just touching a defender and then letting him come in clean.

So this results in my RB getting hit the moment after the hand off. I think this can easily be fixed with the editor if BB does not release another patch though.

Now the agility/ explosiveness is just a problem with the animations being used

# 145 DaveDQ @ 08/09/10 11:25 AM
I just played a half and can agree that the blocking isn't there and also that certain types of collisions are playing too much of a factor in stopping a runner's progression.

I also agree on the agility and explosiveness. I think this is where speed increase might help, but at the same time, the d-line is getting too much positive results in very little contact.

What exactly does the stumble button do? I did break some nice runs using this, but I'm not sure if it's on that.

# 146 Phobia @ 08/09/10 11:34 AM
Quote:
I just played a half and can agree that the blocking isn't there and also that certain types of collisions are playing too much of a factor in stopping a runner's progression.

I also agree on the agility and explosiveness. I think this is where speed increase might help, but at the same time, the d-line is getting too much positive results in very little contact.

What exactly does the stumble button do? I did break some nice runs using this, but I'm not sure if it's on that.
Dave the stumble button will just make you regain your balance quicker.

# 147 stiffarmleft @ 08/09/10 01:33 PM
I preferred the gameplay pre-patch, it was flawed but balanced.

# 148 JayBee74 @ 08/09/10 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Where you think you at? This is not the BB forum!!!

I agree with Mgo and I am a big BB fan.

The run blocking is not working correctly post patch. The passing is about perfect now. Also the players feel to sluggish. There is no agility tied to the players where they move and cut like a real player would.

I like BB, but I am also going to point out what needs worked on. But to tell someone shut up, me personally would want to knock the **** out of you.
I agree too.

# 149 Epiffani @ 08/09/10 02:01 PM
Although the user's results in the running game has gotten progressively worse, it was FAR from perfect pre-patch. It was nothing to run inside like a wrecking ball, and gain at least 5 yards a pop (almost a first down if you initiated a spin at the LOS), or run to the outside for ridiculously big runs repeatedly and watch the A.I take themselves out of the play because an overall lack of awareness, terrible pursuit angles, bad playcalling, and bad tackling. Just like pretty much everything pre-patch, the running game was way too easy. NM needs to find a happy medium between pre and post patch if they decide to do another patch.

I will say if I had to pick which running game I prefer pre-patch or post patch? I'll take post patch easily. Although I haven't had much success running plays like dives or draws, I've been able to run plays to the outside where I can at least reach a second level which gives me a chance to see the field and oncoming defenders, so I can pull off moves, and make defenders miss. I've played all of my games on pro/hard and the last one I accumulated 143 yards, 1 TD, on 27 carries going against a team rated about 30 points higher than my own. I got a fast, agile back and he did work playing to his strengths. I don't know how blocking is on pro/medium or the other difficulties, but I think they should put some work into most notably the interior blocking, and hopefully that wouldn't equate to an easier game (maybe beef up the secondary) because running the ball does feel much more rewarding to me post-patch.

# 150 DavonBrown @ 08/09/10 02:25 PM
I get about 12 carries for -3 yards every game, but I throw 28-35 and 2 touchdowns.

# 151 Phobia @ 08/09/10 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavonBrown
I get about 12 carries for -3 yards every game, but I throw 28-35 and 2 touchdowns.
LOL yea me to.

I don't know why they messed with the run blocking though. Just add the stumble feature of tapping A and fix the pass blocking + the pass accuracy.

The more I play the game the more it pushes me away though. The tackles are amazing don't get me wrong. But the general football feel of speed, agility, and power is just not there.

The power is there to a degree but the players have to much of a floaty weight to them once they leave the ground so you get these weird things with players floating being pushed through the air by a runner. Just looks bad.

Then the agility & speed is just horrible. The runners have this real up right running. They cut as if they weight 400lbs, instead of planting and cutting at full speed.

I enjoy the game for the difference of what it offers. But it is seriously lacking in some really key areas. So glad NCAA 11 came out so good this year!!!!!

Try and create a finesse back such as Chris Johnson. See how he runs and plants in BB. You would swear you have Earl Campbell instead.

You won't see this is BB. This whole video shows what BB is lacking in the speed/agility department

# 152 sb24 @ 08/09/10 03:17 PM
Is the running game that bad user vs user?

# 153 Phobia @ 08/09/10 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Is the running game that bad user vs user?
It is the same. D-line in the backfield almost instantly far to often. Not much you can do to prevent it when you getting hit right as you receive the ball on a hand off.

# 154 sb24 @ 08/09/10 03:34 PM
I guess I will find out tonight. Either way, with as much as they patched in, I knew they would "break" something. I expect them to put out a second much smaller patch to fix it since it seems to be a consistant complaint. I have a lot of patience for these guys. I kept saying all I want is another football game and I have it so I will deal with the shortcomming for a first version.

# 155 DaveDQ @ 08/09/10 03:39 PM
I'm getting yards rushing, it's just I don't feel it is very natural. I don't feel like I'm following my blockers. I feel more like I'm faking everyone out.

I still love the challenge of this game's passing though. I'm having very competitive games.

# 156 Epiffani @ 08/09/10 03:54 PM
Quote:
I'm getting yards rushing, it's just I don't feel it is very natural. I don't feel like I'm following my blockers. I feel more like I'm faking everyone out.
You absolutely nailed it, and that's exactly what I was alluding to a few pages back when I say I run away from my o-line instead of following them. I have no problem accumulating yards; more carries= more yards for me, but as you said/put it, it's more like faking out the defense i.e catching them in a bad formation against the run and being elusive afterwards.

# 157 opd897 @ 08/09/10 04:20 PM
Played a couple of games on medium today.
First game my created St. Louis Rams (me)against the Philedelphia Liberty. I lost 12-0. Just couldn't get anything going. Fumbled as I was going in for a touchdown early in the game. Passing was OK, I threw for around 150 yards but only ran for 36.

Second game my Arizona Cardinals (me) against the Birmingham Iron. I won 30-0. Capitalized off one fumble and two picks. This game I ran for 80 yards but the running game is real hit and miss. I would hit a run for 13 yards and the next run I would lose 3 yards. Passed for again around 150 and didn't turn the ball over at all.

It wouldn't hurt for the developers to tweek the running game a bit for both the CPU and the User. Here's hoping they will!

# 158 teambayern @ 08/09/10 05:05 PM
Is there any indication at all that there will be a second patch? I'm right on the edge of snatching this at BB, but I have concerns about the run game problems, and general availability of games online.

# 159 Phobia @ 08/09/10 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreez35
Do yall go on the bb forums and chat with todd yall bring up good points just want to make sure it get to the top guys....
Tell him to come here

# 160 boooey @ 08/09/10 07:24 PM
Those who know my history here know I am very critical of EA and Tiburon especially, and would love nothing more than to say how BB smashes Madden..

but after about 10-12 games since the patch has dropped.. i am just not sure about this game really..

there is no denying the physics, and tackles are very cool.. but after that.. i dunno

every game seems to be a crapshoot on whether my receivers are going to drop balls or not, or if i am able to run the ball at all or not.

sometimes no matter what i do, there is a defender in the backfield to stuff the run.. and this leads to endless frustration with this game.

I dont want to go on EASY difficulty, because the CPU already cant really score much on Medium as it is.

at least I have some time to pass now since the patch, and there are games where my receivers hold onto everything, and then there are games where they drop everything. again.. very frustrating.

Sure its great I can play as all 32 NFL teams, but it really doesn't feel like the real players. Maybe its because there is no play by play, or maybe its the oversized generic player models.. i dunno but there is just something missing for me there.

The game need some more atmosphere i think.. more player chatter, more stadium sounds and noises, and a better more involved PA announcer.

The CPU AI seems to be very erratic at times, and sometimes it seems that they are just calling random plays which do not even relate to the current situation.
CPU calls way too many draw plays on 3 downs.. on 3rd & short, 3rd & long.. doesnt matter.
I have also had the CPU let the clock run out at half while lined up to kick a field goal. not good..

Maybe the 2nd patch (if there is one) can address some of these issues.
I still support this game and 505 games..
Its definitely an amazing first effort, thats for sure.. and the DEV'S seems very receptive to the community, and dedicated to making this game great which is also a positive sign.

Gonna keep reading the tips and guides over a the BB forum and to continue trying with this game though, as this is my only NFL videogame option right now until EA gets their act together..

big thanks to the guys doing the NFL rosters, and editors for BB.. it does make a big difference!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.