Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight. This one focusing on making a smarter game, written by Mike Wang and Jerson Sapida.

Quote:
"Now let’s talk about AI. Authenticity and Signature Style have always been strong points of 2K basketball. For NBA 2K11, we really wanted to take that to new heights both on the player level, as well as the team level. When I came back to the team last year and saw how much work the guys had done with the player tendencies, in partnership with 82games, I was really impressed. The thing I was most impressed by is how well all of the new tendencies had been integrated into the code. You can really see how each player rating and tendency is translated into how a real basketball player “thinks” out there on the floor. When I first played NBA 2K10, the difference between the superstars and the not-so-superstars immediately came through. But as I took the game to the lab, and really dissected each player and team, it really gave me an appreciation for just how much work had been done in that regard. Kobe loved his dribble pull up, Melo attacked like Melo on the perimeter as well as in the post, and J.R. Smith launched any shot from anywhere and everywhere without hesitation."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 DGMikeBarker @ 08/08/10 12:41 PM
I would have some questions about it if I hadn't read the IGN preview which is praising 2k11. Also, 2k10 Insights were all true if you read carefully, just not as true as we'd like .

# 102 Boilerbuzz @ 08/08/10 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdynasty
Im saddened by this BLOG post because all it does is make me think about how good COLLEGE HOOPS 2K11 would be...SMH!!!!!!
Damn! You're right. Now I'm bummed. Thanks man. :P

# 103 rspencer86 @ 08/08/10 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Damn! You're right. Now I'm bummed. Thanks man. :P
Ugh, I don't want to even think about that. The lack of ANY college hoops game at all is a stake through my heart.

Alright, back to 2K11 and positive thoughts...

# 104 reptilexcq @ 08/08/10 03:18 PM
With all these tendencies that 2K added this year, i think they forgot one thing: Emotion tendency!! To take the game to a more super realistic level, they should have emotion tendency so players like Kobe would be seen raising his hand and wanting the ball to go to him when the Lakers are in trouble. And also how each player are likely to argue with the refs. These type of reaction is going to add more realism to the game rather than random reaction or emotional outbursts that they already have which is not represent the player at all.

# 105 greenegt @ 08/08/10 03:50 PM
GREAT blog! Can't wait to get my hands on the game.

# 106 Hotobu @ 08/08/10 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_24
snip
LOL at the 2K10 defensive insight throwback. Could you send me a direct link to that? I knew there was stuff like that from year's pas that they didn't deliver on. It'd be nice to have a direct reference to it.

# 107 Gmoney2002 @ 08/08/10 05:16 PM
Very insightful indeed. 200 animations just for off-ball movement is staggering but i'll wait until the demo drops to see for myself...

# 108 NINJAK2 @ 08/08/10 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilexcq
With all these tendencies that 2K added this year, i think they forgot one thing: Emotion tendency!! To take the game to a more super realistic level, they should have emotion tendency so players like Kobe would be seen raising his hand and wanting the ball to go to him when the Lakers are in trouble. And also how each player are likely to argue with the refs. These type of reaction is going to add more realism to the game rather than random reaction or emotional outbursts that they already have which is not represent the player at all.
There is already an emotion tendency in 2k10 I believe.

# 109 Crossover1 @ 08/08/10 08:56 PM
It's a rating, not a tendency.

# 110 eko718 @ 08/08/10 09:47 PM
Beluba,

I know this isn't Q&A but it would be great if you can clarify one thing(if not here on a future insight); Do Game Styles replace difficulty levels? Are there no longer rookie through HOF difficulty levels? Are Game Styles more like slider presets or do they work in conjunction with sliders?

# 111 blues rocker @ 08/08/10 10:22 PM
i hope in the next insight they show some video. I'm tired of reading about the improvements...i want to see them.

# 112 mikenoob @ 08/08/10 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
Beluba,

I know this isn't Q&A but it would be great if you can clarify one thing(if not here on a future insight); Do Game Styles replace difficulty levels? Are there no longer rookie through HOF difficulty levels? Are Game Styles more like slider presets or do they work in conjunction with sliders?
It's stated in the second paragraph...

Quote:
Before we get into that, I wanted to reveal a new option that we’ve added for this year’s game that I am sure will excite you throughly. We have a huge team here and we all have a different perspective for how a basketball sim should be played/tuned, much like our ever-growing consumer base. One way we attempted to satisfy all parties was to introduce a new option called Game Style. Changing this option will significantly change the way you experience NBA 2K11. So when you get your hands on the game this October, play around with the different settings, as well as the difficulty level setting, to see what best fits your style of game and experience level. Here’s a quick rundown of what we were shooting for with the different settings:

# 113 eko718 @ 08/08/10 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenoob
It's stated in the second paragraph...
It is... noticed that after I posted it.

# 114 49UNCFan @ 08/09/10 12:15 AM
Wonder if the Refs will review questionable calls.

# 115 bearschicago @ 08/09/10 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotobu
LOL at the 2K10 defensive insight throwback. Could you send me a direct link to that? I knew there was stuff like that from year's pas that they didn't deliver on. It'd be nice to have a direct reference to it.
http://community.2ksports.com/commun...id=999213&l=11

http://community.2ksports.com/commun...d=1002935&l=11

http://community.2ksports.com/commun...d=1003473&l=11

Just read through it.

Looking back, some things I found interesting:

Quote:
With smarter player rotation and help defense, you will no longer feel like ‘babysitting’ your CPU teammates on defense to get them in the correct position on the court
CPU defense is still not where it should be.

Quote:
Defensive Rotations are new in NBA 2K10. Last year, our Help Defense system relied on assessing the best defender to help based on distance from ball and closeness to basket. However, it failed to truly represent the fact that rotations in basketball are part of an underlying strategy by the coaches to cater to their defensive strengths. In NBA 2K10, we spent a ton of time trying to balance these rotations correctly based on defensive awareness and ball position.

The rotation of the defense usually creates an opening that the offense will have. Think of it as pulling a short blanket to cover your body. As you pull it one way, another extremity will be exposed. The game is to expose the least important extremity, and hope that the offense doesn’t realize where that extremity is.

The new fun element on defense now is a security that help comes in a timely fashion, but if the offensive player recognizes where the rotation leaves the open man, you will need to recover as quickly to him as possible, and that isn’t always feasible.

Rotations also factor in the double team logic, now. What that means to the user is that the rest of the team will rotate to cover in case of a double team. Again, all of this because playing team defense is a preset strategy and not just an awareness check.
In doing all this, we created a new dynamic in playing team offense and defense and added a dimension to our game that was previously lacking.
I didn't really notice this. Rotations/help defense/help-the-helper were either too late or didn't show up at all.

Quote:
In previous versions of the game, fans complained that the defenders were too casual on the floor, almost looking like they are not paying attention to what’s going on around them. In 2K10, players will now appear more intense off the ball, especially when their match-up is only one pass away from the ball handler. You will see players position themselves to defend a pass, stick their arms out in the passing lane, reach out and feel their man when looking at the ball, and many other little nuances that makes defender more active and gives the game that realistic feel.
I also didn't see any aggresive off-ball defense. Never putting a hand on their man especially within 15 feet.

# 116 Kaanyr Vhok @ 08/09/10 01:44 AM
Lurking Visual Concepts folks aka LVCF: Can we finally have a CPU opponent that scouts our VIPs and comes up with game plans to utilize strategic double teams and their own stoppers?

# 117 Kaanyr Vhok @ 08/09/10 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschicago
http://community.2ksports.com/commun...id=999213&l=11

http://community.2ksports.com/commun...d=1002935&l=11

http://community.2ksports.com/commun...d=1003473&l=11

Just read through it.

Looking back, some things I found interesting:

CPU defense is still not where it should be.

I didn't really notice this. Rotations/help defense/help-the-helper were either too late or didn't show up at all.

I also didn't see any aggresive off-ball defense. Never putting a hand on their man especially within 15 feet.
The help defense was a lot better than 2k9's. Unfortunately 2k9 had close to 0 help defense. You could improve it by leaps and bounds and it would still suck.

# 118 jeebs9 @ 08/09/10 10:16 AM
I'm so excited reading this. I love the part about the players taking better angles. That was a huge problem in 2k10. Players exactly like the explained....missile...

# 119 Goffs @ 08/09/10 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I'm so excited reading this. I love the part about the players taking better angles. That was a huge problem in 2k10. Players exactly like the explained....missile...
i hope this jostling animation they added isnt just limited to playing the guy with the ball....i want contact animations for the guys without the ball as well....solves that mario running feel when running into someone...

i still remember what beluba said in one of his NBA LIVE 10 vids about how the players have a more organic feel to them when they make contact with each other and it shows to....i hope they implemented that in 2k11...

# 120 reptilexcq @ 08/09/10 11:13 AM
"stick their arms out in the passing lane, reach out and feel their man when looking at the ball."

LOL

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.