Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight. This one focusing on making a smarter game, written by Mike Wang and Jerson Sapida.

Quote:
"Now let’s talk about AI. Authenticity and Signature Style have always been strong points of 2K basketball. For NBA 2K11, we really wanted to take that to new heights both on the player level, as well as the team level. When I came back to the team last year and saw how much work the guys had done with the player tendencies, in partnership with 82games, I was really impressed. The thing I was most impressed by is how well all of the new tendencies had been integrated into the code. You can really see how each player rating and tendency is translated into how a real basketball player “thinks” out there on the floor. When I first played NBA 2K10, the difference between the superstars and the not-so-superstars immediately came through. But as I took the game to the lab, and really dissected each player and team, it really gave me an appreciation for just how much work had been done in that regard. Kobe loved his dribble pull up, Melo attacked like Melo on the perimeter as well as in the post, and J.R. Smith launched any shot from anywhere and everywhere without hesitation."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 jeebs9 @ 08/09/10 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
i hope this jostling animation they added isnt just limited to playing the guy with the ball....i want contact animations for the guys without the ball as well....solves that mario running feel when running into someone...

i still remember what beluba said in one of his NBA LIVE 10 vids about how the players have a more organic feel to them when they make contact with each other and it shows to....i hope they implemented that in 2k11...
Yea man....But this is all hear-say right now. Just wetting your tail a little...lol

I'm excited right now. I'm still playing 2k10 nightly....We can only go up...

# 122 Beluba @ 08/09/10 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
i hope this jostling animation they added isnt just limited to playing the guy with the ball....i want contact animations for the guys without the ball as well....solves that mario running feel when running into someone...

i still remember what beluba said in one of his NBA LIVE 10 vids about how the players have a more organic feel to them when they make contact with each other and it shows to....i hope they implemented that in 2k11...
We actually did implement a new offball collision system. It does a great job of slowing down offball players when they're trying to cut through the paint or something. It's also incredibly useful in Team Up games. They look sweet too

# 123 Goffs @ 08/09/10 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
We actually did implement a new offball collision system. It does a great job of slowing down offball players when they're trying to cut through the paint or something. It's also incredibly useful in Team Up games. They look sweet too
good to hear Mike! now the waiting game begins.......

# 124 m-dogg @ 08/09/10 11:44 AM
Quote:

that really is great news, much needed. all I play is co-op teamup games with friends against the AI.

one simple fix needed for team-up: let us save our team-up online sliders and game settings! I have to set them every time I go in to play a game, gets verrrry tedious.

team-up co-op association would be the next great evolution, let you invite friends to join in your association game and take over for AI teammates (player-lock for all players like team-up). this is one of the most wanted features from everyone I talk to.

keep up the good work 2k!

# 125 jeebs9 @ 08/09/10 11:45 AM
I just wait my pant twice this morning...The great has Beluba spoken!!

Awesome news man...Coming from you. That means its golden! Thanks Man!!

# 126 tehova @ 08/09/10 12:11 PM
Quote:

I know its a long way away, but what happens if the two remaining 1st round rookies dont sign there contracts before the game ships, will they not be able to make an appearance in the game?

(only asking because they both play for the grizzlies)

# 127 bearschicago @ 08/09/10 12:30 PM
Quote:
Thank you Mike Wang and the 2K Team!! Now I can finally stop saying this!!

# 128 The 24th Letter @ 08/09/10 12:33 PM
Something tells me e still havent heard it for the last time though, lol

# 129 HealyMonster @ 08/09/10 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehova
I know its a long way away, but what happens if the two remaining 1st round rookies dont sign there contracts before the game ships, will they not be able to make an appearance in the game?

(only asking because they both play for the grizzlies)

I believe, if its like MLB, they will be added in the next Roster update after they sign their contracts. I think all sports are like that.

# 130 bearschicago @ 08/09/10 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Something tells me e still havent heard it for the last time though, lol
I'm telling you 2K11 will be an all-time great just like MJ himself!!

# 131 Vast @ 08/09/10 01:37 PM
**** yeah!!! These guys are putting in work this year. With the game styles, to the Revamped plays, the hundreds of off ball animations.
the re-written movement engine(especially for defense).

Offensive A.I. sounds bananas, along with the new tendencies. I'm freaking hyped!
Defense sounds good as well. I'm hoping this is the year 2k does defense justice.
2k10 was the best defense a 2k has had IMO. but it still needed improvement.

For those talking about last years defensive developers insight. They didn't lie to us, it just wasn't a consistent thing. You'd see flashes of defensive brilliance once in a while.

# 132 jeebs9 @ 08/09/10 01:42 PM
^^Nice to see someone who isn't bashing them. And actually see some of the thing they did make improvements on.^^

# 133 jfsolo @ 08/09/10 02:00 PM
Quote:
If this works correctly its a game changer.

# 134 bearschicago @ 08/09/10 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
If this works correctly its a game changer.
Amen. This will take Sim b-ball gaming to another level no gaming company has achieved before.

# 135 Tsuki @ 08/09/10 03:06 PM
love how 2k always takes gameplay improvements first but still looking for some franchise mode changes

# 136 Vast @ 08/09/10 03:45 PM
With soo much information in that insight, I almost forgot....

Mike hinted at the new and improved shot stick. He said "Tendency to use the new shots: I’ll be going into more detail later on what all these new shots are in a later Insight, but for now, just know that there’s plenty of cool new “stuff” you can do with the Shot Stick. Obviously, it’s important that our AI players not only use all the new shot types, but also in the correct situations. Our AI engineers spent a lot of time working on this logic and it really shows. One of the coolest things to see when you’re playing against the AI, is have them break you down with a nice dribble move, see a hole in your defense, and attack it properly with the right finish. It really goes a long way to making you feel like you’re playing another intelligent human opponent rather than a machine that just randomly pushes buttons."

# 137 Hotobu @ 08/09/10 03:54 PM
Whoa @ the off-ball collision comment. I've been talking about this as a problem for 3 years now. There are animations this year, but they're rarely seen and extremely difficult to trigger. If the CPU will regularly use these in 1 on 1 matches, and user controlled players can make good use of these in team-up games then this is a big deal.

It's one of the things on my checklist of things that 2K must address before I buy 2K11. If they actually have working netplay, more contact on shots in the paint, and have guys get back on defense then I may actually buy the game.

# 138 jeebs9 @ 08/09/10 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
With soo much information in that insight, I almost forgot....

Mike hinted at the new and improved shot stick. He said "Tendency to use the new shots: I’ll be going into more detail later on what all these new shots are in a later Insight, but for now, just know that there’s plenty of cool new “stuff” you can do with the Shot Stick. Obviously, it’s important that our AI players not only use all the new shot types, but also in the correct situations. Our AI engineers spent a lot of time working on this logic and it really shows. One of the coolest things to see when you’re playing against the AI, is have them break you down with a nice dribble move, see a hole in your defense, and attack it properly with the right finish. It really goes a long way to making you feel like you’re playing another intelligent human opponent rather than a machine that just randomly pushes buttons."

You know what that sounds like.....

Strong hand finishes....Guys like LeBron and Nash. Can finish with the % on both sides. While guys like A.I., Odom, Melo, and few others. Who finish mostly with only their strong hands. Oh man that would change driving to the hole....Oh man this ****ING AWESOME....

# 139 Jukeman @ 08/09/10 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
You know what that sounds like.....

Strong hand finishes....Guys like LeBron and Nash. Can finish with the % on both sides. While guys like A.I., Odom, Melo, and few others. Who finish mostly with only their strong hands. Oh man that would change driving to the hole....Oh man this ****ING AWESOME....
Idk sounds to me that the ai will actually now shoot runners and etc.

# 140 Crossover1 @ 08/09/10 06:57 PM
I thought they did already...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.