Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

For those of you that can't view the videos from OS, check out and subscribe to the OS Youtube channel.

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 noshun @ 08/09/10 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_2324
Yea some ppl think the sliding is brand new
http://

This is a vid from 06 for Live 07 talking about footplanting. 5 years later you're talking about sliding still.

Please tell me the sliding excuse? I'll wait for your response Mario, make it a good one too. I have all day..

# 42 taxinem @ 08/09/10 03:19 PM
YouTube please?

# 43 rEAnimator @ 08/09/10 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
With real time physics now, shouldnt we have missed dunk attempts? Why is every dunk going in? Especially when a defender places himself between the basket and the air-born dunker, the dunker should have to automatically adjust to attempt the dunk and most likely he could only throw it in or miss it badly(think dwight howard superman dunk).

I remember missed dunks used to be part of the NBA video game. Now we never see a missed dunk. I would have thought with the physics engine this year we would see alterations and denials. But it seems like dunking is as arcadey as it has been in all NBA video games the last 5 years.
You can miss when you collide with someone and are forced into an adjustment.

In fact, when collision happens early in the flight path you miss way more often than you succeed.

But again, that is based heavily on ratings as well.

# 44 HoosierDaddy @ 08/09/10 03:28 PM
thanks for the videos Geoff. Here they are on YouTube for those who can't view..

# 45 mario_2324 @ 08/09/10 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
http://

This is a vid from 06 for Live 07 talking about footplanting. 5 years later you're talking about sliding still.

Please tell me the sliding excuse? I'll wait for your response Mario, make it a good one too. I have all day..
Ok im not a internet thug....u win.....not tryna get banned over arguin with u about slidin kid

# 46 rEAnimator @ 08/09/10 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun

If you're genuinely interested in the foot planting tech, if you look really closely at the second video in ANT you can actually see the debug information for foot planting being drawn under the player's feet.

It's a little hard to make out, but the circles are green when planted, red when lifting and blending out to not be planted.

There's a problem in the game right now where physics is fighting foot planting. When a player gets pushed by physics, the animation system isn't keeping up.

The foot planting can only do so much if the animations don't do their thing fast enough.

That's a bug I need to look at fixing either today or tomorrow.

It's probably #3 on my personal priority list of bugs assigned to me.

# 47 HoosierDaddy @ 08/09/10 03:40 PM
OK. Now for me to rant a little bit. I'm going to point out the obvious probably, but can't resist. Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is still a work in progress and should be thankful for the devs to answer our questions and take time to make these videos for us.

Clip #4

I like everything about it, expect the delay in collision from Bargnani and the sliding that takes place after that collision. What really bothers me is awkwardness of the PG taking a few extra steps instead of being off balance and stopped in his tracks, and making the pass much more difficult because of the position of Bargnani.

Clip #5

More of a question really. I understand what you were trying to display with the ratings and the effect they have on the collisions, however, what is the reason behind the player not being aware of the dunk attempt until after the animation has started? Is it solely based on you controlling both players, and that's why the defender didn't at least raise his hands or is that an awareness slider that hasn't been adjusted, or both?

Thanks again.

# 48 ParisB @ 08/09/10 03:57 PM
Can't wait to play. Everything I'm seeing is a plus and shaping up nicely. Bball games finally making the push to next gen, thanks to Elite. Ill leave the microscope overanalysis to you guys, lol.

# 49 Jano @ 08/09/10 04:05 PM
This physics system is looking better every time I see it in action. That Lebron vs Kobe clip didn't look spectacular on the animation side of things but it looks great from a gameplay perspective.

Things like that would have went a long way in making last year's game less of a frustration to play. The fact that weight is actually going to have an effect is great, I used to hate going in to the paint with a big man because I knew his strength wouldn't matter.

The two man anims would just kick and it would only respond to the buttons I pressed. So it didnt matter if I was Shaq or CP3 I was going to be hit with same animation regardless of strength.

With this system big guys have the potential to actually feel big, so going down the lane and taking contact with CP3 and Shaq will actually feel different. This is big to me because this has the potential to cut down on all the stupid animations that used to happen last year.

I'll be able get my animation fix with 2K11, I'm not going to disappoint myself this year by expecting some enormous improvement in animations. I already know that is just not going to happen it just hasn't been a focus for the team.

# 50 aga11ah @ 08/09/10 04:11 PM
well this made my decision not to buy Elite easier. thanks EA.

# 51 PH1LLYSFINEST13 @ 08/09/10 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
I know what you mean...maybe I should have done that.

As I said in the video both players were user controlled, but I only have two hands

I probably could have made it work or called someone else over, but I was just trying to grab something quick to make the point that the dunker does get altered and the ratings do matter.
haha , No problem man , i actually forgot that both were user controlled. But yea , if the defender jumps I think it will look 10x better. He looked like he hit a standing brick wall. But hey rEAnimator , thanks for answerin questions and taking time. Things are lookin great!

# 52 joel0078 @ 08/09/10 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_2324
Lol i dont get y u guys are complaining so much.....should be grateful that we get anything at all.....im not tryna start nothin but the critiquing gets kind of annoying even though it helps the devs somewhat. I believe the reason he didnt bulge was because of a weight difference.....Omeka is a center and calderon is a pg...
They are complaining because its the same old story....hype a new feature (controls this year) and the rest of the game remains the same. That"s how I'm guessing this game is ultimately going to shape up. I dunno how long you've been a purchaser of this series, but I've been one for years and years now. And I finally know better than to believe anything they put out pre release, until I've played it for myself. And more times than not, I've been let down by the final product. And I believe these other guys who are "complaining" are likely in the same boat I am....Hoping for a great game, but extra critical because they've been fooled before.

# 53 Drocks @ 08/09/10 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
OK. Now for me to rant a little bit. I'm going to point out the obvious probably, but can't resist. Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is still a work in progress and should be thankful for the devs to answer our questions and take time to make these videos for us.

Clip #4

I like everything about it, expect the delay in collision from Bargnani and the sliding that takes place after that collision. What really bothers me is awkwardness of the PG taking a few extra steps instead of being off balance and stopped in his tracks, and making the pass much more difficult because of the position of Bargnani.

Clip #5

More of a question really. I understand what you were trying to display with the ratings and the effect they have on the collisions, however, what is the reason behind the player not being aware of the dunk attempt until after the animation has started? Is it solely based on you controlling both players, and that's why the defender didn't at least raise his hands or is that an awareness slider that hasn't been adjusted, or both?

Thanks again.
Obiviously I'm not rEAnimator, but regarding Clip 5, I'm guessing that if it's a user controlled player, the user has all control, so the defender isn't going to do anything automatically unless the user triggers it. Just a guess on my part.

Totally agree on Clip 4.

# 54 joel0078 @ 08/09/10 04:45 PM
Quote:
If you're genuinely interested in the foot planting tech, if you look really closely at the second video in ANT you can actually see the debug information for foot planting being drawn under the player's feet.

It's a little hard to make out, but the circles are green when planted, red when lifting and blending out to not be planted.

There's a problem in the game right now where physics is fighting foot planting. When a player gets pushed by physics, the animation system isn't keeping up.

The foot planting can only do so much if the animations don't do their thing fast enough.

That's a bug I need to look at fixing either today or tomorrow.

It's probably #3 on my personal priority list of bugs assigned to me.
Dang man, you put up with a lot of stuff and you do a great job of replying to just about everyone....You deserve a hand for that . I almost feel bad for you though, because I believe you came over here from the NHL series, right? Anyways, that series is tight and really doesn't have any competition....Yet here you are trying to win over consumers with Elite...You have a loooooooooong uphill battle my man and I commend you for fighting the fight and sticking around this long. But ultimately, I don't think you will see the success with Elite that you are used to with NHL. Good luck though and thanks for taking all the criticisms, it's got to be frustrating. Just know that very few of us (myself included) want to see Elite fail. We all want 2 strong/different experiences when playing video game basketball this fall. I'm just personally at a point where I can't see myself saying Elite is the superior series. Sorry.

# 55 pies @ 08/09/10 04:51 PM
thanks for the vids and the feedback!!

# 56 stepsix @ 08/09/10 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_4real
Did someone said that Okafor was skating backwards??? WOW, just look it better please

There where 2 less great aspect on that play.... Even if Okafor didnīt move is feet after the contact, because we was already set for a long time for the screen, the impact of Calderon should do something to Okafor`s body, he didnīt even shake, he looked like nothing touched him.....

Bargnani slided just a little, when I saw the video for the 1st time it looked really bad, but he actually has at least one foot off the ground in that sequence when the created player comes to him, and the foot planted on the floor just slided a bit, not as much as it appeared on the first time....

2 not as great aspects of the play, other then that, SPOT ON

(constructive criticism or GTFO)

PeAcE
Good critique. I put in bumps on the offensive player a while back and have been off work for a bit (new parent) but they are obviously broken...when someone runs into you hard enough to fall down you will definitely see the collision register on the screener as well. This will be fixed shortly.

# 57 mercymerc23 @ 08/09/10 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever_Young83
The animaitons make me not want to watch any more Elite videos.. They seriously need a better system for animations than what there curently using. Animations are probably the biggest complaint of anything regarding this game, do the devs not listen.
^^^ Agreed

# 58 Tha_Kid @ 08/09/10 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
in clip #5, its great that we can see that weight/size/strength matters... however my issue is that the "physics" don't seem like physics at all

Kobe leaped up and his shin collided with Lebrons shoulder... if that happened in real life Kobe would have gone flipping head first over Lebron. Instead he simply bounces off in a completely unrealistic way, almost as if their torsos had collided

after seeing the physics in Backbreaker, I don't know if I could even call this real time physics... it simply looked like more dynamic animations compared to usual, but it certainly wasn't even close to realistic w/ what would have happened in real life. If this is the system that EA has been hyping as "physics" I'm going to be disappointed
Read up on the physics in the threads in this forum. It has been said multiple times that the physics system isn't going to be applied to stuff like limbs. Take the clip you're talking about: those green cylinders/circles are where physics are being taken into account as far as collisions. The physics are called Real Time Physics because the calculations are being done in real time. That is the extent of the name.

There is no misleading or hype when it is spelled out when asked about. The information is there to be read. Elite was never said to have Backbreaker/GTA4 type physics.

# 59 rEAnimator @ 08/09/10 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy

Clip #4

Clip #5

Thanks again.
To clip #5...you're spot on. Because it's a user controlled guy he won't do anything automatically. Having said that, he should have still braced himself for impact. Players do that automatically when a dribbler is about to run straight into them, but it's not happening in this clip.

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed...it should be easy to fix so it behaves the same as the dribble case.

# 60 NoTiCe_O @ 08/09/10 05:54 PM
Quote:
To clip #5...you're spot on. Because it's a user controlled guy he won't do anything automatically. Having said that, he should have still braced himself for impact. Players do that automatically when a dribbler is about to run straight into them, but it's not happening in this clip.

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed...it should be easy to fix so it behaves the same as the dribble case.
Hey rEAnimator, can you still dunk on someone even if the physics has altered you somewhat?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.