Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

The question I keep asking myself is whether Gameflow and the Game Planning features are a revolution in Madden NFL 11 or just another gimmick which is sure to go by the wayside in future years not unlike Weapons, the Vision Cone, and any number of other features.

It's not like we haven't been given a bevy of reasons to believe Gameflow isn't indeed another gimmick.

Read more - Is Madden's Gameflow a Revolution or a Gimmick?

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 DirtyJerz32 @ 08/15/10 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I can only guess you haven't been in any of the situations not accounted for. 14+ point differential with more than 2 minutes left, for example.

The fact that you have to set it up for the CPU says something though.
I've been in those situations and I'm very happy with what is called. I've played more than a handleful of games and every once and a while the cpu will put something out of the ordinary. But, it's never been way out in left field.

The only reason I have a cpu GP/GF set up is because I was doing some tests to see if it really works the way it should. So I guess it's not really saying anything.

I understand what people are complaining about but, I don't it's any where near as bad as what people are making it out to be.

# 122 sportyguyfl31 @ 08/16/10 08:38 AM
Im going to be using it all year, for better or worse.

I'm still trying to find the right balance between man and zone D for my taste though.

Man-2 is reasonably safe, man 1 makes me a smidge nervous at times, and I think man-o is just asking for a quick 6 points.

# 123 woody2goody @ 08/16/10 09:55 AM
After a shocking start (lost my first game 41-0), I'm getting the hang of what to expect on defense using gameflow.

The new, quicker audibles help a lot in sorting the D out before the snap.

On offense I don't have any complaints about it really, only that the CPU calls very similar plays often. I have not seen some of the plays in the playbook yet and I've played 10 or 11 games so far.

What's a tad annoying is that you have to go back to the conventional playcalling screen to make subs - I wish Gameflow would use the 2nd string HB more without me having to sub him in. After all he's there for that reason, to share some of the load.

In answer to the thread title - it's definitely a revolution - well done EA for a great first step with this

# 124 sportyguyfl31 @ 08/16/10 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
After a shocking start (lost my first game 41-0), I'm getting the hang of what to expect on defense using gameflow.

The new, quicker audibles help a lot in sorting the D out before the snap.

On offense I don't have any complaints about it really, only that the CPU calls very similar plays often. I have not seen some of the plays in the playbook yet and I've played 10 or 11 games so far.

What's a tad annoying is that you have to go back to the conventional playcalling screen to make subs - I wish Gameflow would use the 2nd string HB more without me having to sub him in. After all he's there for that reason, to share some of the load.

In answer to the thread title - it's definitely a revolution - well done EA for a great first step with this

Yes.. I wish I could set auto sub settings to go along with it.

With the Jets, I have to manually sub in Greene, LT and Joe Mcknight on the sub screen in order for gameflow to use them.

Same when using the PAnthers to get Williams and Stewart their touches.

# 125 Broncos86 @ 08/16/10 11:24 AM
My two (belated) cents: I'm loving Gameflow. I like the ability to just go out and execute. I've gone in and customized my own game plan, so I've taken care of some of the annoying plays I dislike. All in all, though, it's nice to just get in a game and get to the action.

# 126 JohnDoe8865 @ 08/16/10 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Yes.. I wish I could set auto sub settings to go along with it.

With the Jets, I have to manually sub in Greene, LT and Joe Mcknight on the sub screen in order for gameflow to use them.

Same when using the PAnthers to get Williams and Stewart their touches.
This is my biggest problem with Gameflow honestly. It doesn't allow you to easily use your depth or run two back systems. Also doesn't let you put in certain packages. I feel like it takes away some of my strategic options.

# 127 blklightning @ 08/16/10 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Well. If it takes you more than 1 second to pick a play, with about 100 plays a game, then it shud make the game at least 100 seconds shorter.
if you can pick plays faster, that just means you're able to run more plays in a game.

# 128 Lakers 24 7 @ 08/16/10 07:23 PM
IMO all users should have to pick their own plays, it's nothing but a cop out IMO.

# 129 raguel @ 08/16/10 07:37 PM
The biggest problem I have with gameflow is that the defense doesn't recognize situations like the 2 minute drill, and in early downs it will stay in the base defense even if the cpu comes out in 3+ wr sets.

# 130 RGiles36 @ 08/16/10 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Defensively, I'm a little confused. Maybe someone can help:

Is it based entirely on the personell the offense trots out on the field? Say, it's 1st down, but they come out with 3 WR, will Gameflow choose one of my plays from my nickel choices or one of my plays from my general/regular (I forget what it's called)? I've been choosing my own play on 1st down on defense because I want to be in one of my base sets, regardless of offensive personell. What is Gameflow's defensive play-calling formula? Is it based entirely on personell?
For gameflow, I'm not certain. But using 'My Gameplan' under the conventional play calling option, I can't figure out how defense is called. The gameplan screen suggests that it's chosen based on offensive personnel. However, I've found this not to be the case. When teams run 3 wide on 1st or 2nd down, 'My Gameplan' defaults me to my base 3-4 plays. I'm not sure if it's broken, or maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me.

Suffice it to say that I've had to stick nickel plays in my normal just so I'm not caught off guard.

I've also noticed that sometimes if the CPU comes out in 3 wide, my dime packages come out instead of nickel???

# 131 bgeno @ 08/16/10 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
if you can pick plays faster, that just means you're able to run more plays in a game.
Which translates to faster games. If you need 13-minute quarters to get 100 plays without Gameflow, but you can get 100 plays in 10-minute quarters with it, that's at least 12 minutes less time it takes to play a game.

# 132 therockstar2005 @ 08/16/10 11:04 PM
At first, I thought that Gameflow actually worked pretty well. It got me out of my old playcalling habits, got me to actually use screen passes and other crazy stuff. It seemed pretty good.

For about five games...

But then I got frustrated with some of the calls. I particularly just got frustrated that I would not be doing well and that I really wasn't responsible for it. Even when you set up the options of what plays you want the cpu to choose from, the cpu is still calling your plays.

The way I thought gameflow would actually work is that, in given situations, you just already have these plays picked out and then you can choose from one of them yourself. That way, you'd still save some time searching through formations, but you'd actually be the one calling it. Besides, isn't that how playcalling actually works, where the coach has a selection of plays and then he chooses one?

# 133 RaiderKtulu @ 08/17/10 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Which translates to faster games. If you need 13-minute quarters to get 100 plays without Gameflow, but you can get 100 plays in 10-minute quarters with it, that's at least 12 minutes less time it takes to play a game.
Not exactly... It does mean faster games, but not the way you're saying. If you're using the accelerated clock, the clock is going to run down to 20 seconds every time, regardless of whether you call your play at 30 on the clock or instantly at 40 with gameflow. It doesn't change the total number of plays called. What it does do, is save somewhere between 5 and 15 seconds of real time per play.. except during the final 2 minutes where it actually makes it even easier to call too many plays. So, going for simulation - around 120 plays per game... it'll generally save somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on how fast of a playcaller you normally are.

Personally I'm not in that much of a hurry when I play, and some situations require more thought than others. If I'm playing Superstar mode, sure, it's realistic to have to run what the coach calls. I'm cool with gameflow there (if it works in that mode, I haven't actually looked). If I'm playing Madden's normal God of Football mode, I'll run whatever play I want, thankyouverymuch.

# 134 roadman @ 08/17/10 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
Not exactly... It does mean faster games, but not the way you're saying. If you're using the accelerated clock, the clock is going to run down to 20 seconds every time, regardless of whether you call your play at 30 on the clock or instantly at 40 with gameflow. It doesn't change the total number of plays called. What it does do, is save somewhere between 5 and 15 seconds of real time per play.. except during the final 2 minutes where it actually makes it even easier to call too many plays. So, going for simulation - around 120 plays per game... it'll generally save somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on how fast of a playcaller you normally are.

Personally I'm not in that much of a hurry when I play, and some situations require more thought than others. If I'm playing Superstar mode, sure, it's realistic to have to run what the coach calls. I'm cool with gameflow there (if it works in that mode, I haven't actually looked). If I'm playing Madden's normal God of Football mode, I'll run whatever play I want, thankyouverymuch.
At least in this game you have options. In other games, sometimes you aren't as fortunate.

As far as GamePlanning, the more I utilize it, the better I enjoy it. I pick all the plays on offense and defense. That way, they are my plays, not the CPU's. I will do that every week in franchise mode based on the opponent I will be playing. It takes a bit of time, but well worth the personalization.

# 135 NC State-31 UNC-27 @ 08/17/10 11:40 AM
useless on defense

decent on offense but I'll never use it because it just isn't smart enough...doesn't take enough game (clock and score) situations into account....I shouldn't be passing on first down with 3 minutes to go in the game and a 17 point lead

# 136 Johnny_Rep @ 08/17/10 01:35 PM
A complete gimmick. Entirely defeating the object of the game. How on earth can the cpu pick better plays than I can. I'm studying my opponents tendencies, I have a sense of what he can and can't do and what he likes to do in certain situations. Gameflow does not. I can also set him up, run different plays out of the same formations in similar circumstances. It's designed for people who don't want to think about what they're doing.

Sadly, the game this year doesn't particularly punish that.

Gameplanning could potentially be useful, but only if I could watch hours of my next franchise opponents 'gamefilm'. Otherwise, it's a farce.

Incidentally, and yes I am somewhat disillusioned. I do not recall a single person, with all their thoughts, ideas (some of them excellent) and criticisms (many of them justified) on this board last year say 'What we need is a system that calls plays for you'.

Not one.

# 137 Romeclone @ 08/17/10 02:39 PM
Total Gimmick. It's kind of funny if you did this year with all this stuff... I know when the pitch line for this years Madden was Faster, Quicker, Deeper or whatever we were in for some laugh's.

For the record, I really like Madden this year and am enjoying the game a lot. But this post is about gameflow. It's silly and I turned it off durring the demo. Have not even had it on once with my retail copy. Why? The whole reason I play madden is so I can play the human chess game of football. I like to sit there in between plays and think about what defense they are going to come out in, what play i might run, which player I want to get the ball to. For the CPU to do all that is just silly; defeats the whole reason I play the game.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. For some I quess it might be apealing but for me it's just silly. And for those that said ask Madden is better, I agree. There you get a few more choices and you get to hear Madden...Yes!

# 138 sportyguyfl31 @ 08/17/10 05:19 PM
Still using it, still loving it.

Combined with gameplanning, it works very well.

Gameplanning allows me to focus on the plays that I am going to use.

There are plays that i NEVER call, and would never consider calling, so why not filter them out, and load up on plays that I actually want to run?

Plus I have my audibles...if I have to check out of a play.

It really works pretty smoothly. If I like the play, Im able to strat pad immediately, and make a couple of adjustments (im totally comfy with strat pad now), and I can pull up either a formation audible or one of my set audibles, seamlessly.

I have no complaints.

I hope they take it deeper in the future and allow us to implement substitution packages based on down/distance...and plays based on more specific situations.

# 139 silence1206 @ 08/17/10 06:24 PM
I would hate gameflow for online or head-to-head gaming. But, I exclusively play offline franchise. And I find that gameflow is good for two reasons.

1) It speeds up the game

2) It levels the playing field between myself and AI, as we now have equal standing in how plays are called.

# 140 bgeno @ 08/17/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I could be wrong, but doesn't accelerated clock run off the set amount of time, not jump to a certain point? Say you set it for 20 seconds, doesn't it run off 20 seconds once you pick your play? Not jump strait to 20 seconds? For example, if you pick your play with 32 left on the play clock, it runs the clock down to 12 as opposed to jumping to the 20 second mark? If it just jumps strait to a specific time that you set, then, yes, you're right. But if it's a run-off, then my point still stands.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.