Home
NHL 11 News Post

EA Sports NHL 11 demo is now available on Xbox LIVE and the PLAYSTATION Network. Powered by a revolutionary real-time physics engine, the franchise that has won 22 sports game of the year awards over the past three years will showcase two game modes in the demo: Battle for the Cup and the all-new Hockey Ultimate Team.

Battle for the Cup:

In Battle for the Cup, players will experience all the emotion and drama of the third period of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup™ Championship between the Philadelphia Flyers and the Chicago Blackhawks. The mode features an all new faceoff system, new quick dekes and the ability to score amazing goals even while lying on the ice.

Hockey Ultimate Team:

The all-new Hockey Ultimate Team brings Online Dynasty play to the EA SPORTS NHL franchise for the first time ever. In the demo, players will be able to pick up a starter pack of cards to build their Ultimate Hockey Team. Take your new team to the ice and play against either the Canadian Hockey League’s Windsor Spitfires, or the NHL’s Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers. Play and win games in the demo with your Ultimate Team and earn up to two additional packs in the full version of NHL 11, when it is released on September 7, 2010.

The demo will also feature an interactive tutorial that will allow those new to the franchise to learn the controls, and allow long-time fans to practice some of the new controls in the game, including Faceoffs.

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 MiNiDiTkA @ 08/17/10 01:17 PM

# 102 Mikey88 @ 08/17/10 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I've yet to see the ridiculous stumble/barrel roll animation when a player gets tripped up - I've seen 2 variations on dropping to their knees instead, sweet!
its still there though.. i saw it when i tried to poke check but it was ill-timed and the player went flying

# 103 patsfan188 @ 08/17/10 01:23 PM
So do I get to keep this Ultimate Team? Because I'm loving mine! Taylor Hall, Luongo, Fippula, Rask, Enstrom, Keith.

# 104 Fiddy @ 08/17/10 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Attribute effect is still there. And I never understood the hate of forehand/backhand dekes. It's the most common move on a breakaway IRL. Maybe I'm not slick enough to pull it off with regularity, but when I do it correctly I have a good chance to score (but not automatic) and when I don't it doesn't work. Am I missing something?
i must have missed the attribute effect slider. bc i looked through them for 10 mins. ill look again.

the hate is not from the move forehand to backhand etc. the hate comes from i can score on the same backhand to forehand move 99.9% of the time. i have to make myself mix it up. the goalie ai should not allow that same goal to go in over and over and over.

i come in on breakaway. i deke out with the r-stick to my backhand, hold for a sec, then release (on the release, i dont even push the stick to the forehand it just goes back to forehand position), goes back to forehand, i flick up on r-stick and boom back of the net. 99.9% of the time.

i honestly laugh at all these guys online in nhl 10, do all this fancy pants stuff to score, when all i do is a basic move and score just as much if not more lol.

# 105 Qb @ 08/17/10 01:29 PM
Ah, I gotcha Fiddy... misunderstood your comments. I'm 99.9% sure attribute effect is still there, along with some new ones.

# 106 adayinthelife @ 08/17/10 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsMcbain
Thanks... Leafs fan.....
You're just lucky I hate the Sens more than Les Habitants .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey88
its still there though.. i saw it when i tried to poke check but it was ill-timed and the player went flying
Damn, that is a shame. I'm glad that it's at the very least not so frequent since I haven't seen it yet. Was it the stumble or the random leaping barrel roll that you saw? Man I hate the roll.

# 107 Lubey @ 08/17/10 01:32 PM
Just had a goal disallowed. Scored on a scramble, spotlight went on, was happy. Then the ref came storming in waving his arms. On the replay my guy started to skate and as his foot moved it nudged the puck in the net so they took it away.

# 108 SinisterAlex @ 08/17/10 01:36 PM
Alright so I just finished playing a few games and here's my impressions.

AMAZING game. I've played all my games on SuperStar and I have to say, the A.I is top notch! They make me fight for every puck, they make me think wisely before passing and shooting the puck. They are very good defensively and offensively. The A.I actually shoots now, their passes aren't always tape to tape and most importantly, they play smart!

I've played three games so far. They all went 1-1 into the third, I one won and lost two. First game I lost 3-1, second game I won 2-1 and the third game I lost 2-1. All the games were close. I've love the atmosphere, it seems different than last years game. The announcer is awesome and the commentating seems better this year than last.

I've had a few broken sticks on some pretty important plays Had one where I was right in the slot with Kane, open net, and my stick breaks... I've also lost a few sticks off of hits and faceoffs which is a nice touch.

Here's some things that kinda of bothered me:

- When you get a penalty, the overlay graphic for the player and penalty doesn't show up (I'm sure this is a demo issue).
- The cut scenes in between plays don't seem to have changed...
- Some of the hits I've seen are a bit outrageous but I'm guessing these can be tonned down with sliders.
- I want the score overlay to go full across my screen like on CBC, TSN, etc .... not some little overlay in the corner.

Here's some more things I've noticed:

- Tripping calls are no longer that cheesy dive anymore! Thank goodness!
- Dump n' Chase actually works well thanks to the Hustle feature and physics engine!
- Loving the new faceoff system! When I lose a draw or win a draw, it actually felt well earned!
- Boardplay is much improved. Suction appears to be gone which is amazing!
- Board sounds, puck sounds and boardplay sounds are much more authentic now!
- After goalies cover the puck, they actually get up! They no longer sit hunched over the puck.
- Post Whistle Scrums are no longer ridiculous cross checking fests.
- After the play is dead, your player no longer sits their inactive, it goes into "casual mode" where he casually skates around the ice.
- Physics Engine is really great. I especially love the little hits and bumps.

All in all, a really great demo and I haven't even touched Ultimate Team yet. Can't wait for September 7th!

# 109 crobert0247 @ 08/17/10 01:41 PM
I've only seen one goal review in 15+ periods and it was a goal initially waived off but then overturned after the replay. A puck came sailing through traffic, hit a glove, and went in. It was not batted or swatted at so they allowed it.

# 110 Splitter77 @ 08/17/10 01:46 PM
i cant wait to get out of work.
you guys have me all giddy.
when does the ps3 update-7pm EST?

# 111 JRod @ 08/17/10 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
i cant wait to get out of work.
you guys have me all giddy.
when does the ps3 update-7pm EST?
I thought 11 am - 2 pm PST. I could be wrong.

# 112 Randiesel75 @ 08/17/10 01:55 PM
Forgive me if this was discussed already.

I absolutely love NHL 11. The only thing I noticed that was a bit odd was the in-game strategies (D-pad). It seemed to pull up a tad bit slower that NHL 10. Now, perhaps this is only demo related due to less code being pushed out to the demo to keep its size down.

Anyone else notice this?

# 113 SinisterAlex @ 08/17/10 01:59 PM
Anyone else notice that the replays for penalties are super speed? Kinda ruins the replay of a penalty when you can't even see what you got called for...

# 114 aepoc @ 08/17/10 02:06 PM
Wouldn't using the hustle button to hit a guy be a charging call?

# 115 adayinthelife @ 08/17/10 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aepoc
Wouldn't using the hustle button to hit a guy be a charging call?
It should be, haven't seen it happen yet though.

# 116 crobert0247 @ 08/17/10 02:21 PM
Yeah, it could be. It's at the refs discretion. I was assessed a charging minor while fully utilizing the hustle button with Drew Doughty earlier. I had about 10 full strides with Doughty and hit Taylor Hall into the boards which drew the call.

From the rulebook...

"43.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.
A minor, major or a major and a game misconduct shall be imposed on a player who charges a goalkeeper while the goalkeeper is within his goal crease.
A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."

# 117 plaidchuck @ 08/17/10 02:21 PM
Just by looking at the video is it me or are the fights off the faceoff pretty strange. It looks like you're about to take the puck then bam magically everyone disappears. I could see this being abused online...

# 118 mkharsh33 @ 08/17/10 02:23 PM
Enjoyable demo... The improvements are nicely done.

I hate to say it, but I think it's time for a new broadcast team. The commentary is stale, and though the game is great, in some ways it still feels like the same game because I've heard those guys say the same things a zillion times...

# 119 delt31 @ 08/17/10 02:33 PM
The demo just got better bc it confirms that there will be custom goal horns. It's in the help section under custom music

# 120 adayinthelife @ 08/17/10 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Just by looking at the video is it me or are the fights off the faceoff pretty strange. It looks like you're about to take the puck then bam magically everyone disappears. I could see this being abused online...
Yeah that's pretty brutal. I'm actually shocked that first person fighting is still in the game if it's still causing the ice/benches to be devoid of all life. Totally kills the intensity.

I am liking the fact that not absolutely everyone seems to get into scraps this time around so far. I mean I know anything can happen (Semin's slapfest!) but I just don't feel like we're ever going to see Ben Eager vs. Nicklas Backstrom.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.