Home
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 News Post

IGN has posted their WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 preview.

Quote:
"With the noobs satisfied, let's get to brass tacks and geek out over what THQ is adding this time around. The biggest change -- at least in my eyes – is WWE Universe. Basically, this shoves everything you do in exhibition, all of the championships, all of the stables and rivalries system, and whatever else into one mode that's always active. When WWE Universe is on, it's going to give you an event – Raw, Superstars, SmackDown or a pay-per-view – and an event card. This isn't generated at random. This is a card based on the feuds and friendships that exist on your system as well as rankings. Now, if you don't like the matches, you're free to change them however you like – different people, different stipulations, etc. – and the game will react, remember, and craft the story around it.

It's career mode without having a career mode. It's a constant WWE at your fingertips where you can pull the strings (you still get to choose who are champs as well as who are friends and who are rivals if you want). If you don't like the look of a particular card, you can change it or sim past it to the next show, which leads into the next event, which leads into the PPV, and so on. When this is happening, the folks in the federation are building friendships and creating enemies. The game notices this and modifies the WWE relationships, and this then leads to one of 100 random cutscenes before, during and after your matches. This is stuff like your foe attacking you during your entrance, a match changing on the fly, and so on.

All of this actually matters, as well. There's a ranking system in WWE Universe that shows where certain Superstars stand in the federation. As you play – and keep in mind, you can play as whomever you want or as many people as you want – your character or characters start to move in the rankings and vie for number one contender spots and championships. You need to earn your ticket to the top… or at least jump in and edit it so that you're the champ."

Game: WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 10 - View All
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BDKiiing @ 08/17/10 05:15 PM
Dang! I've never been this excited for a wwe game since Lesner was still in wwe

# 2 vernond @ 08/17/10 06:03 PM
Sold! I thought this year would be same old same old but that WWE Universe mode looks absolutely awesome. TV shows and ppv's automatically generated for you and the matches make sense? That's crazy if it works, and if it doesn't you can change it. That sounds like the greatest addition to any wrestling game ever made.

# 3 shugknight @ 08/17/10 06:05 PM
Sounds good. I'm actually interested in picking up SVR11, however, it comes out the same month that NBA2k11...

# 4 lgxjames @ 08/17/10 06:24 PM
October is always an expensive month

# 5 PantherBeast_OS @ 08/17/10 06:25 PM

# 6 PantherBeast_OS @ 08/17/10 06:37 PM
Ya awsome read there. I love how they made the HIAC bigger and added weapons finally. But not happy that they took away the door in HIAC and now you got to knock down a a part of HIAC Wall to get out. That is kind of unreal to me to tell you the truth. HIAC has door. So why not in the game. Doesn't make much since to tell you the truth. But overall good read and good start to giving info for the game. Can't wait.

# 7 J_Posse @ 08/17/10 07:12 PM
This year's SVR looks like a winner. I'm definitely going to pick this up, and hopefully they have the Nexus and Daniel Bryan in-game. Or at the least, I'm hoping they add them as DLC.

# 8 PantherBeast_OS @ 08/17/10 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
This year's SVR looks like a winner. I'm definitely going to pick this up, and hopefully they have the Nexus and Daniel Bryan in-game. Or at the least, I'm hoping they add them as DLC.
It is way to late for them to add Nexus and Bryan into the game. But they might could be DLC. But that is a long shot. THQ has never had a good track record of doing DLC or SD VS RAw series. The only time they did DLC was with SD vs Raw 09 I believe. Even then their DLC was glitchy. But again there is that small chance of DLC this year.

# 9 Buckeye @ 08/17/10 07:23 PM
That sucks about Nexus. May create them.

# 10 Streets @ 08/17/10 07:26 PM
This went from a "pass" all-together to a day-1 buy for me... good read.

# 11 Fiasco West @ 08/17/10 07:27 PM
WWE Universe is a mode i've been waiting for from a WWE game in a looong time...hell from a Wrestling game period. I hope they execute it well.

Damn, I don't like to buy more than a game a month and thanks to this and NBA 2k it's looking like i'll have to make a exception.

Also finally the ability to create someone and make them how good you want

I'm not sure if that was in last year or the year before because i've been skipping out on SvR.

# 12 Jukeman @ 08/17/10 08:30 PM
Sounds great, but I wonder if we still can edit the stories...

For some reason, I can see fail written all over this mode if it isnt done right...

Let us continue to customize everthing just in case the AI isnt as smart as we hoped...

Great news tho!!!

Next year I hope the in ring action is just as immersive, from the clips 2011 still looks like a glorified fighting game...

However for me to enjoy the in ring action this year, the AI, the selling of moves and damage must be better...

As for Nexus, I dont think it would be hard to create them, they already look like a bunch of CAWS anyways lol

I can't wait to play with The Miz...He's so AWESOME

This is a big step up

Quote:
The strong grapple modifier is gone, too. If you want to pull off a big move from a grapple, you can't just hold down a shoulder button and flick the thumbstick anymore – you have to earn it by performing chain grapples via flicking the stick and pulling off preliminary moves. As you wear your opponent down, he or she is going to get groggy, and this is when you can flick the stick and grapple for big moves. Strike combos also return this year, and if you land a four-hit combo, expect the opponent to pop into that groggy state.

# 13 Ermolli @ 08/17/10 09:03 PM
I wasn't paying any attention to the game until I read that. New thinks look great but if the gameplay and AI is the same

# 14 rangerrick012 @ 08/17/10 10:56 PM
Definitely went from a pass to possibly buy for me as well. The WWE Universe sounds to quote the Miz "AWESOME!" and if done right could be everything I've personally always wanted in a SVR game. I rememeber playing the Create a PPV mode just like mentioned in the article, created my own PPV back on SD/SD2 called "Title Time" where all titles were on the line...now 10 years later WWE has Night of Champions...crazy huh?

But back to the point, definitely will keep my eye on things, hopefully they put out a demo this year, and if they really do update the game w/ DLC of new wrestlers and such (Nexus) it would be perfect.

# 15 stephensonmc @ 08/17/10 11:35 PM
Hope you guys enjoyed the preview!

# 16 vernond @ 08/17/10 11:52 PM
With all the weapons and hell in the cells and everything is there still blood in the game? I didn't see any in the preview. It would suck if they had all these weapons additions and no blood.

# 17 Streets @ 08/17/10 11:57 PM
I think I'm going to create myself as a low rated CAW (like low 60's), and hopefully, the CPU will put me on Superstars occasionally (I'm sure I'll have to sim a lot the first year to get on the card). Then, each year I'll edit my guy and allocate some more attribute points for my wrestler as I "progress".

This way, the game will always be challenging as I move through the ranks, and hopefully, I can develop some great feuds along the way.

If the "WWE Universe Mode" includes the ability to cash-in MITB after a wrestler has just went through a grueling match, I will mark out! I'd love to win the briefcase and have that option.

Universe could also be the an awesome multiplayer game. Having multiple people pick wrestlers and have the CPU generate the feuds, storylines, rankings, contenders, etc. would be a blast! You could team up with your friend and form a stable, or battle it out for the belt. Too bad, you can't do it online as I have no one around who could consistently play "universe" with me.

Either way, I'm excited.

# 18 Fiasco West @ 08/18/10 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I think I'm going to create myself as a low rated CAW (like low 60's), and hopefully, the CPU will put me on Superstars occasionally (I'm sure I'll have to sim a lot the first year to get on the card). Then, each year I'll edit my guy and allocate some more attribute points for my wrestler as I "progress".

This way, the game will always be challenging as I move through the ranks, and hopefully, I can develop some great feuds along the way.

If the "WWE Universe Mode" includes the ability to cash-in MITB after a wrestler has just went through a grueling match, I will mark out! I'd love to win the briefcase and have that option.

Universe could also be the an awesome multiplayer game. Having multiple people pick wrestlers and have the CPU generate the feuds, storylines, rankings, contenders, etc. would be a blast! You could team up with your friend and form a stable, or battle it out for the belt. Too bad, you can't do it online as I have no one around who could consistently play "universe" with me.

Either way, I'm excited.
I'll probably make classic guys, and guys I wish would come over to the WWE like Samoa Joe or AJ Styles.

I was thinking, I'd do a lot of simulating. I am wondering if we can edit other wrestlers attributes as well. So in a way burying someone we don't like and pushing someone we like. The more we can edit the better, although I doubt they will let us edit WWE wrestlers appearances...but it would be cool, it was done in the wold WWF No Mercy game, and that's what made it so much fun.

I was thinking about the multiplayer options for it. You can basically play career mode with your friends

I guess the only thing I am worried about is...sounds too good to be true. I hope they don't make that one mistake or glitch that ruins the mode.

Also vernond, WWE has gone PG so I doubt there will be any blood in the game.

# 19 stephensonmc @ 08/18/10 12:21 AM
there is blood in the game this year -- option to turn on / off

# 20 vernond @ 08/18/10 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensonmc
there is blood in the game this year -- option to turn on / off
Nice! Thanks, Cena must bleed!

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.