Home
NHL 2K11 News Post

NHL 2K11 is available now, post your impressions here.

Game: NHL 2K11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / WiiVotes for game: 8 - View All
NHL 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ddhex27 @ 08/24/10 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
I can name a long list of games on the Wii that look and play better with controls on the Wii. Just because it's a Wii game doesn't mean we need to overlook it. I wasn't expecting PS3/Xbox 360 graphics. No. Early impressions from others, have also noted this. So I'm not alone when I say the graphics in this game are poor.
They are horrendous for me too. Just tons of jaggys and sparkles all over the place. I found that disabling 16:9 on the wii itself made it a bit better; I don't think the game supports widescreen. I wish I had an old tv to play this on.

# 22 Gianets @ 08/25/10 12:08 AM
Peter i dont undestand why u playing nhl2k11 wii on a 50 inch tv. I dont believe any wii game will look that great playing wit that size. Its a last gen console like the ps2 and xbox. Play on a standard size lcd and just enjoy the game or scale down the size on ur 50inch. If graphically u still bothered trade in the game and just continue playing ur sports games on ur next gen console.

# 23 onlybygrace @ 08/25/10 12:21 AM
Does anyone else find it sad that NHL 2K11 released today and all we have here is this measly little thread just 30-something posts long???

I really miss the good ole days with this series.

# 24 ryan36 @ 08/25/10 01:13 AM
Keep the criticism constructive please...warnings /bans will be issued. Clear?

# 25 stocksy @ 08/25/10 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Does anyone else find it sad that NHL 2K11 released today and all we have here is this measly little thread just 30-something posts long???

I really miss the good ole days with this series.
I agree with this, One reason would be it seems it was only released in USA/Canada and only on Wii, NHL 2k10 was released in europe too but even so id expect more interest in this game.

# 26 FORMULA316 @ 08/25/10 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
I can name a long list of games on the Wii that look and play better with controls on the Wii. Just because it's a Wii game doesn't mean we should overlook it. I wasn't expecting PS3/Xbox 360 graphics. No. Early impressions from others, have also noted this. So I'm not alone when I say the graphics in this game are poor.
I might get ragged on however I find that if a developer chooses more of a
cartoon-like player, say MLB Power Pros (extreme example) or a Madden 11,
a hybrid of cartoon and exaggerated realism, the game is easier on the eyes
and plays much smoother. 2K has opted for more of a real look and the end
results, at least from my take on the 2K10 line-up for the Wii were extremely
hard on the eyes. NHL2K10 literally gave me a headache. That was a rental.

# 27 adayinthelife @ 08/25/10 06:12 PM
From what I've seen the game does look pretty terrible, graphically speaking, even for a Wii game.

Also for everyone attacking Peter and telling him to use a classic controller - what's the point in that? Wouldn't he be better off just sticking with 2k10 on 360/PS3 if he's going to play a button based hockey game?

I was reeeeaaalllly hoping there would be some good news in this thread .

# 28 quantumtarantino @ 08/26/10 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want The Cup
Not saying you should have to buy a classic controller. But you are playing a Wii, and it seems you are seemingly appalled that you may have to use some motions to play the game -- so I am a bit confused by that. Your "issues" with controls are the plain fact that there are motion controls, so I suggested you get a classic controller since you can play the game with its non-motion controls. So you can have a better experience for YOUR needs.

If motion controls aren't for you, that is totally understandable. It isn't everyone's cup of tea. But I'd suggest selling your Wii if that is your stance. Or getting a Classic Controller. Your complaints are more about the Wii Remote and Nunchuk than NHL 2K11. Not having enough buttons, having to use the d-pad? That's not a fault of NHL 2K11. And if you are buying a Wii for spectacular graphics....

This post is what is wrong with the development cycle for NHL 2K11. It is clear here, that you don't respect the Wii as a platform, and the Development of the game has suffered for it.

We are not saying that motion controls are a problem at all.

Poorly implemented motion controls however, are an issue, and they are implemented POORLY in this particular game.

NHL 2K was a perennial contender, with the other "Behemoth" franchise that wont be named, but oh how the mighty have fallen.

First, Juggling the puck down the ice? Really? that wouldnt have been cool or acceptable back in the PS1 days, let alone today.

The graphics? Again, noone is expecting PS3 level FMV style graphical qualities, but is something that looks better than the PS1 too much to ask?

Mini-games? Come on guys, if you want to sell a sports sim, do it.
If you want to sell a party game, do that, but having them both be attempted, only dilutes, distracts from, and destroys both ideas.

And above all the criticism that i can even think to provide you, the largest piece of criticism, and the only one you need to look at, is this thread alone, and not the content, or quality of posts in it.

Your game is almost 2 days old, and this is the 37th post asking for impressions, thats ALL you need to know.

Please dont repeat mistakes for next year. PLEASE

# 29 Boilerbuzz @ 08/26/10 03:45 AM
There is no way I would buy a sports sim on the Wii. Regardless of the game. The Wii just can't do those kinds of games to the level of the other consoles. The controller only takes you so far. It's really sad, but I just don't see this series surviving. It's not to be negative toward the game. Just saying the situation this game has been in over the last couple of years have doomed it. This is sad. Feels like Nascar and March Madness. Worse thing is that NHL-EA will have no competition and we all know what that means.

I've only played with the iphone version on the ipad. I can't deal with the controls, but this is a decent iphone game. So, at the price, I don't see why not support the effort.

# 30 18 eighty 5 @ 08/26/10 08:26 AM
Fight somewhere else, I want impressions!

# 31 adayinthelife @ 08/28/10 12:20 PM
Sooo... 2 people on OS got the game?

# 32 quantumtarantino @ 08/28/10 08:27 PM
If youre counting me in that 2, i rented it.

# 33 onlybygrace @ 08/29/10 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
Sooo... 2 people on OS got the game?

Yup, 2 of the 3 that actually have a Wii.

Not bad, I suppose.

# 34 lunch pale gang @ 08/30/10 03:26 PM
I wrote the initial review, over on 2k's forums, that was quoted in the first post. Thank you to whoever copied and pasted it over here.

A few more notes:

The bad:

(1) Player freezing is still in the game. Ugh!!!! Why wasn't this addressed. I was hoping this was simply a 360/ps3 thing and it wouldn't happen on the Wii, but sure enough I've seen skaters freezing more than few times.

(2) The game shipped with last year's schedule for season, franchise and playoff modes. This has since been rectified through the latest roster update, but what about people who don't have access to the internet for their Wii? How do you ship a game with last year's schedules when you are billing yourself as "The Real NHL Experience?"

(2.1) This relates directly to the schedule foul up. 2k never updated the waiver wire order. Even with the new update the waiver wire order is from '08 - '09. Not a huge deal I guess seeing as no one on the NHL level in 2k's hockey game ever seems to be placed on waivers (unless a user does so)

(3) 2k server issues (what a shock!). I've been 100% successful in completing online games when playing a friend (where one of us invites the other to play) over 7 games; 50% successful in quick ranked matches (2 out of 4); 75% successful in pick-up team-up games (3 out of 4); and 50% successful in created team team-up (2 out of 4).

The good:

(1) Online leagues. For a Wii game, or any hockey game on any platform for that matter, is really where 2k shines. I don't think anyone can dispute the claim that 2k's online league website is by far the best. The amount of stats that site throws at you is unbelievable.

(2) Sliders. The sliders seem very responsive. I've finally settled in a good set of realistic sliders that I can enjoy playing with at 7 or 8 minute periods. I've posted them on 2k share under "Maul's Sim." In a nutshell they slow down the game slightly, tighten up the defense and goalkeeping, and decrease scoring.

(3) Pro classic control is very sweet. It took me a little while to get used to it because I was so accustomed to the 360 controller, but now that I have the hang of it, I have to say it is pretty nice. Skaters respond to your input with little to no delay.

I will try to post more as I play more.

Overall, so far, I'd give 2k11 an 8.0 out of 10.

# 35 ezio @ 08/30/10 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunch pale gang
I wrote the initial review, over on 2k's forums, that was quoted in the first post. Thank you to whoever copied and pasted it over here.

A few more notes:

The bad:

(1) Player freezing is still in the game. Ugh!!!! Why wasn't this addressed. I was hoping this was simply a 360/ps3 thing and it wouldn't happen on the Wii, but sure enough I've seen skaters freezing more than few times.

The good:

(2) Sliders. The sliders seem very responsive. I've finally settled in a good set of realistic sliders that I can enjoy playing with at 7 or 8 minute periods. I've posted them on 2k share under "Maul's Sim." In a nutshell they slow down the game slightly, tighten up the defense and goalkeeping, and decrease scoring.

Overall, so far, I'd give 2k11 an 8.0 out of 10.
I noticed the freezing the other day too. they just kind of stop for a minute.

I will try your sliders. thanks. I hope I can score using them

# 36 aloncho11 @ 09/19/10 04:00 PM
^Yep. I played over at my friend's house and overall it's a good fun game.

# 37 Money99 @ 09/24/10 10:27 AM
Finally got around to renting 2K11 this weekend.
First, I really need to get the HD cables because the game looks really bad on my 52" LCD in 480i.
I played this game during one of the RV stops and it looked great on a smaller screen. I was shocked with how good it looked.
I guess I should have taken more time to figure out what settings I could change in order for it to look better, but I wasn't all that concerned with the graphics.

Like others have said, the gameplay is basically the same as 2K10 but with cleaner, smoother, skating and better animations.

With the right slider tweaks I got the game playing pretty good. The AI is still very dangerous if you don't cover it well and the puck is as realistic as ever.

Basically it felt like 2K10 ver2 (post patch). If this game were in Next-Gen form I wouldn't have any problems laying down $60 for it.
I still love the franchise blogs, the realistic sim engine and the organic gameplay.

I might try to find some cheap component cables to clean up the image and then grab a copy.

The game definitely doesn't deserve the weak scores it's been given.
If I had to rate it, as a Wii sports game, 8.5 would be appropriate I feel. The gameplay is solid and there's enough options to keep a hockey fan occupied all season long.

P.S. I was using the classic controller.

# 38 BrettMadden @ 10/06/10 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
If this game were in Next-Gen form I wouldn't have any problems laying down $60 for it.
Price tag has dropped to $29.99

# 39 Money99 @ 10/06/10 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettMadden
Price tag has dropped to $29.99
Ooh, that makes it very tempting. The problem is, I'll still need to get the HD cables with it. The game looks really bad on my 52" in 480i.

# 40 Money99 @ 02/21/11 09:32 AM
Finally picked this game up for $18 at walmart.
With the HD cables and on a 36" it looks pretty good.

I have to update the rosters, but the few quick-games I played were a lot of fun.

In the Winter Classic game I played I loved how Zherdev tried to check Chara and he fell right on his butt.
Richards, Carter and Briere were all dangerous the entire game. Giroux too. Very slippery and hard to keep a check on them.

I lost 4-1 to Philly in that game but all of the goals were legit and due to my poor defensive play.

I'm going to update the rosters this week and then start a franchise with TB.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.