Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

This video explains what Real AI will bring to the table in NBA Elite 11.

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Jano @ 08/25/10 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
It seems that at the minimum the demo will have a tutorial, the pre-draft game for your become legendary player, and a 5-on-5 game.
The tutorial and practice mode have gotten my attention. I actually liked the idea of the NBA academy in Live 09 it just screamed depth gameplay. Even though that game was lacking it though lol!

Hopefully this years game can bring that extra layer of depth. Besides I really like going into the academy and working on different aspects of my game was cool to do.

This time around it may actually be a key to success too with everything being so skill driven which is exactly how I would want it to be anyway.

# 22 PVarck31 @ 08/25/10 09:00 PM
First let me say I am very hopeful about this game. I enjoyed Live 08-10.

I could be wrong here, but I really haven't seen any physics in this game. Every video we have seen has shown sliding where there should be physics, or no effect on a players momentum when there should be.

Did I miss a video where the physics were more apparent?

# 23 noshun @ 08/25/10 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31_OS
I could be wrong here, but I really haven't seen any physics in this game. Every video we have seen has shown sliding where there should be physics, or no effect on a players momentum when there should be.
I agree with this. Somethings not right... not a single gameplay vid.. just snippets of non gameplay? Call me skeptical.... but this has that Live 07 feeling to me.

# 24 Jano @ 08/25/10 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31_OS
First let me say I am very hopeful about this game. I enjoyed Live 08-10.

Did I miss a video where the physics were more apparent?
Check out quick clips #3 and #5 on youtube, they are definitely not the greatest looking things though but they do display the physics engine in the game.

I guess we are going to have to wait for either the demo or an extended 5on5 video to see how much of an effect the physics can have on the game though..

# 25 coolcras7 @ 08/25/10 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
I agree with this. Somethings not right... not a single gameplay vid.. just snippets of non gameplay? Call me skeptical.... but this has that Live 07 feeling to me.
IMO EA has yet to show anything that I would consider real physics, it's impossible to say okay this will only happen once because nothing is scripted yet only show us one example of this happening wont it be more beneficial to show a bunch of video with the same situation to show us how nothing is scripted.

# 26 RayDog253 @ 08/25/10 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
IMO EA has yet to show anything that I would consider real physics, it's impossible to say okay this will only happen once because nothing is scripted yet only show us one example of this happening wont it be more beneficial to show a bunch of video with the same situation to show us how nothing is scripted.
Yeah, I like that Idea....

# 27 PVarck31 @ 08/25/10 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
Check out quick clips #3 and #5 on youtube, they are definitely not the greatest looking things though but they do display the physics engine in the game.

I guess we are going to have to wait for either the demo or an extended 5on5 video to see how much of an effect the physics can have on the game though..
Will check those out. I am hopeful that the builds we are seeing are early and don't show off the true physics.

I will say that even if they aren't great this year, I still applaud them for going this route. Its definitely something they can build on, and the direction sports games should be going.

# 28 Tha_Kid @ 08/25/10 09:27 PM
I wouldn't group sliding and physics together though. rEAnimator posted a couple times that a bug was resulting in the physics and the footplanting systems fighting each other.

I wonder more about the AI. What is Krstic doing in that play at the end where Durant dunks? His man is getting ready to help on Durant, he should be ready for a dump off or positioning for rebound. At the very least he should be paying attention to the play. Instead he's looking off to the bench, maybe setting a pointless screen. Nevermind that Kaman's block attempt is the same disappointing jump straight in the air nowhere near Durant challenge that was in previous years.

@YM, Demo is probably still 2 weeks off at the earliest, that's practically an eternity on these boards. 3 if you're on XBL Silver.

# 29 RayDog253 @ 08/25/10 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
"Real AI"? judging by the video, it just sounds like a fancy term for a long two-player animation sequence. you know, the stuff everybody's been complaining about the past couple of years in bball video games...
I don't think the player will be locked in to that whole sequence??? But you never know, we'll just have to wait for the demo or the 5v5 vids next week to find out.

# 30 Rocboyz101 @ 08/25/10 09:41 PM
Im kinda at a lost for words with that dunk around the 1 min mark..

# 31 Tha_Kid @ 08/25/10 09:42 PM
I can't begin to understand how one comes to the conclusion that REAL AI is a "long two-player animation sequence".

# 32 Tha_Kid @ 08/25/10 10:00 PM
Quote:
what's so difficult to understand?
This is what I want to ask you. A cursory read through the thread would tell you that it is not what you are saying it is.

Quote:
I believe its a way for the dev team to replicate a players moves or tendencies on the court. So maybe at certain spots on the floor (like the wing) Durant will do the jab, pumpfake, and drive.

It'll add some individuality to the CPU because now the players will actually be doing certain moves. For example Melo loves to use the jab step on certain parts of the floor so now with this real-AI he will.

Where as last year they had his tendency to just go left, right, spot up, etc. Now they have actual moves for the AI to use. So it should get rid of a lot of the genericness that was in Live 10.

# 33 rEAnimator @ 08/25/10 10:03 PM
Quote:
"Real AI"? judging by the video, it just sounds like a fancy term for a long two-player animation sequence. you know, the stuff everybody's been complaining about the past couple of years in bball video games...
No that's not what REAL AI is at all.

1. Real AI has nothing to do with animations. It's essentially recording joystick inputs and playing them back on AI controlled players when the player is in the same situation as when the inputs were recorded.

2. There is nothing two player about REAL AI. REAL AI sequences are played back on only one player at a time, in this case, the CPU ball carrier.

I'm sure stepsix will be in here shortly to answer all the questions in detail as this was one of his big features for the year.

Basically, when you are playing against Kevin Durant in the game when he has the ball it will be as if you're playing an online game against him since he recorded all the moves in all the contexts based on how he would want to play.

But you can still steal the ball, or interrupt what he's doing, and he can still change sequences at any time to react to what you're doing.

# 34 NoTiCe_O @ 08/25/10 10:03 PM
Quote:

Huh? It sounds nothing like that

# 35 dirtypuppet @ 08/25/10 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessKaz
EDIT: The dunks at 1:10 - 1:16 have me worried. A player dunked out of a jab step from the free throw line.
It honestly amazes me that EA continues to put video sequences like these in their promo clips. I'm all for tech demos and WIP videos, but EA, c'mon, choose these a bit more carefully, it's very easy to turn of consumers with sequences like that.

# 36 rEAnimator @ 08/25/10 10:37 PM
Quote:
so it's not an "animation," it's just a "recording" that plays back in the proper context. fine. it makes no difference to me whether some guy wearing a mo-cap suit is responsible or whether some canned joystick movements are responsible. semantics aside, how is the "recording" any different in presentation to the gamer than a typical "animation" (namely the ones in other games which can also be broken and have tendencies/AI to help the CPU adapt)? overall, i'm just trying to figure out the "innovative" part for the experience of the gamer

but it's cool to hear it's not a two-man thing. it would've been nice to see durant's move in a different context than the defender jobbing on his pumpfake though
You're right, I can see where you're coming from now. In essence, from your perspective as a player, they may as well be animations.

The real innovation from a gameplay standpoint is in the system that detects the context in the game and matches it to the context in a recording.

From a technical standpoint though, mocapping these sequences as animations would be impossible both from a money standpoint and a memory standpoint.

It is financially prohibitive to fly out every NBA star to do massive amounts of moves in all possible situations.

And from a memory standpoint it is absolutely impossible to fit that much animation on current generation consoles.

By recording inputs, we can record 100 times more data for all the contexts needed, and do that for 1000 times more players than if it was animation.

We can also get people to mimic real life player tendencies a lot easier by using the joystick, and in the case of Kevin Durant, get the real life players to do it.

Hopefully that clears things up.

# 37 Tha_Kid @ 08/25/10 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypuppet
It honestly amazes me that EA continues to put video sequences like these in their promo clips. I'm all for tech demos and WIP videos, but EA, c'mon, choose these a bit more carefully, it's very easy to turn of consumers with sequences like that.
I see that in the clip and I just ask "Why?"

# 38 dirtypuppet @ 08/25/10 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
I see that in the clip and I just ask "Why?"
Exactly, even if animations and context like this somehow do make their way into the final product (god forbid) how can they honestly forgive themselves from not hiding it better, it amazes me.

# 39 TheKasmar @ 08/25/10 10:54 PM
1:09-1:16 was quite interesting. Thats some serious leaping ability with a defender in front of you.

# 40 stepsix @ 08/25/10 11:09 PM
Quote:
I believe its a way for the dev team to replicate a players moves or tendencies on the court. So maybe at certain spots on the floor (like the wing) Durant will do the jab, pumpfake, and drive.

It'll add some individuality to the CPU because now the players will actually be doing certain moves. For example Melo loves to use the jab step on certain parts of the floor so now with this real-AI he will.

Where as last year they had his tendency to just go left, right, spot up, etc. Now they have actual moves for the AI to use. So it should get rid of a lot of the genericness that was in Live 10.
This is pretty accurate with how the system works with one exception. In the last paragraph, the synergy works at a different level with the AI, so it is actually using both systems at the same time. Synergy helps to decide if a guy should drive, catch and shoot, pull up off of a drive, or finish at the rim.

As an example, if a player tends to pull up when challenged on a drive, if he's mid-drive and someone gets in his lane, synergy will influence him to 'shoot'. Real AI then acts at a lower level, looking to see where the defense is, what sequences a player has, and then pick the best one. It might select a cross-over -> step-back -> jumper, or spin move -> leaner, depending on the defense and what type of player it is.

These are recorded sequences played back on cpu players, so in that sense they are scripted. There are a number of aspects that make them organic in nature though. Firstly, they are playing back on a dynamic animation system. If a sequence has a spin, but you cut it off, the animation will not just plow through you. It also looks at where the defender currently is relative to the recorded sequence, and he's too far out of position, it can break out and choose a different sequence. In that sense it is just as dynamic as the underlying animation system, and with the two systems combined you get some really cool and varied behaviour.

We've never had something like this for performing moves - it has always been 'hard-coded' as to when to do a cross-over vs spin move, and it ends up looking very generic. In addition chaining moves into relevant combos was non-existent.

This isn't just signature stuff, this encompasses every move performed by the AI. More prominent players get their own specific sequences, but we also have sets for power post players for example, as well as even more generic "what to do when a user is trapping in the back court" type stuff. So far we have thousands of sequences, and at this point in the project, if we see a situation that needs a new one, we just record it and throw it into ANT.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.