Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, going over the controls in the game.

Quote:
"The number of moves you can pull off in NBA 2K11 is pretty insane. When you get your hands on the game this fall, one of the first things I’d recommend to everyone is to navigate to the Main Menu and go to --> Options --> My Controller --> Advanced Controls. Here, we’ve detailed most of the major things that we’ve added to the on-court experience. Of course, in typical 2K fashion, we’ve left some of the moves off the list for you to discover on your own as you play the game. As a game designer, one of the ways I’ve always gone about my work is to study real NBA games and translate what I see into game mechanics. For me, if I can pull off everything I see on TV in our game, then I’m pretty happy with the controls. And with NBA 2K11, there’s very little (if anything) that you can’t do on the sticks to replicate your favorite real life moments. I remember being in motion capture with a few of the swingmen we brought in to do some new dribble moves and shots. Walking the guys through what we wanted them to do, on more than one occasion they would say, “that’s a great move, I’m gonna start using that” or “man, you guys got every move in the book in this game!” Coming from NBA-caliber talent, that’s a nice acknowledgement to how in-depth some of the moves in our game have become."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 bonannogiovanni @ 08/26/10 07:06 PM
From the insight:

Quote:
And for those of you worried about high volume scoring in the paint, let me put your mind to rest now. People continually forcing shots inside will pay the consequences this year. We’ve spent a lot of time balancing the inside/outside game and if you want to be successful in NBA 2K11, you’re going to need to distribute your shots evenly and work for high percentage looks.

Happy to hear that, because it ruined my experience in NBA 2K10, it was too easy to drive to the basket and lay it up.

# 82 domidomdomz @ 08/26/10 07:07 PM
This is what I'm gonna do first!

*Run NBA2K11*
*Watch the intro*
*Press Start*
*Wait while Loading*
*Go to Game Modes > Practice > Freestyle*

and practice the new controls all day! Of course, I just assumed the Practice mode menu path. lol

# 83 RayDog253 @ 08/26/10 07:11 PM
Okay, I'm sold..... Controls was the main reason I wasn't getting too excited about 2k11, but after reading the insight and watching the video, I'm SOLD!!! Let's go, bring on the demo....

# 84 JulesMendoza @ 08/26/10 07:13 PM
I'm confused. does the lay up control depends on where the player is facing?

# 85 mikenoob @ 08/26/10 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMendoza
I'm confused. does the lay up control depends on where the player is facing?
By default, yes. I believe Mike has stated that there is also an option to make the moves absolute on the sticks. So, if you press up on the stick it will always be the same type of move as that movement is assigned to.

# 86 domidomdomz @ 08/26/10 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenoob
By default, yes. I believe Mike has stated that there is also an option to make the moves absolute on the sticks. So, if you press up on the stick it will always be the same type of move as that movement is assigned to.
Did I miss something? Was that mentioned in the latest dev insight? If that's true, that's great!

# 87 mikenoob @ 08/26/10 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
Did I miss something? Was that mentioned in the latest dev insight? If that's true, that's great!
No it was one of the comments he posted in a thread a while back.

# 88 JulesMendoza @ 08/26/10 07:25 PM
Quote:
thanks mike! i'm actually playin on broadcast cam angle. if player is driving from the right baseline, the shot stick control would change right?

# 89 madden316 @ 08/26/10 07:28 PM
WOW This is a thing of beauty.

# 90 domidomdomz @ 08/26/10 07:33 PM
Quote:
No it was one of the comments he posted in a thread a while back.
Can you help me find it, dude? I checked his posts history but can't find it. If you're too lazy for that, it's ok.

# 91 jfsolo @ 08/26/10 07:50 PM
Filthy, straight filthy. I hope the A.I. is proficient in the utilization of sig gathers and all the various set up/space creating moves.

# 92 J-Clutch1 @ 08/26/10 07:53 PM
Quote:
thanks mike! i'm actually playin on broadcast cam angle. if player is driving from the right baseline, the shot stick control would change right?
I believe there's a setting to allow the shot stick to be camera relevant or not, if you don't want it to. Like if you flick the shot stick up in the broadcast am angle, it'll do the same thing when you flick up with a north south view like the 2K cam.

# 93 bearschicago @ 08/26/10 07:57 PM
Quote:
And speaking of sig shots, certain players have multiple ones (like Paul Pierce’s set 3 for example)... so it really pays to spend some time in practice mode to get to know your personnel and master the shot arsenal and timing of each of your players’ shots.
Quote:
Many people also complained about how fast jumpshots were last year and that it was difficult to get a “feel” for a guy’s shooting stroke. We re-worked our shot gather and shot release systems to improve on both counts. Now you’ll see much better footwork as well as an improved feeling of weight and gravity on all jumpshots. When releasing a shot, letting go of the Shot Stick will directly correspond to your player’s shot animation. So you can get those quick buzzer beaters off when you need to, or hang a little bit longer to get off a cleaner look when you’ve got better elevation than your defender.
Quote:
We’ve completely gone away from the Lockdown Defense idea (aka. Auto-D) and returned the Left Trigger to a movement modifier to give you full control over your facing. In NBA 2K11, playing solid onball defense has returned to being a skill that rewards quick reflexes on the gamer’s part, rather than allowing people to sit back and let the AI do the work for them.
Quote:
The second line of defense has been greatly enhanced as well. We’ve implemented a new midair collision system that allows for all kinds of body to body contact. If you meet a shooter in the air on his way for a layup or dunk, or if you slide underneath him to try and take a charge, you’ll see some beautiful collision animations result.
Quote:
With the new midair branching system, we can keep the user-controlled defenders under the user’s control and still have a proper collision response when bodies bang. And for those of you worried about high volume scoring in the paint, let me put your mind to rest now. People continually forcing shots inside will pay the consequences this year. We’ve spent a lot of time balancing the inside/outside game and if you want to be successful in NBA 2K11, you’re going to need to distribute your shots evenly and work for high percentage looks.
Quote:
And if all that fails, hold RT (R2 on PS3) and push the Right Analog toward the ball handler for a hard foul. That’s always fun.
Quote:
And if you force passes into traffic or try to cherry pick, improved interception logic will almost always knock the ball down. If they don’t, expect to see the ball get fumbled (allowing the defense to recover) or a bobbled catch out of bounds. Goodbye, Lead Pass exploit!
These are the highlights for me. Big ups to the 2K Team!

# 94 JSapida @ 08/26/10 08:09 PM
Quote:
I can answer this one. Mike's recording some games right now for you guys

The answer is Yes. Under Controller Settings you have the option for your Shot Stick command to be either Absolute or Camera Relative.

Camera Relative is what we've always had, where stick input takes into account your player's facing, movement, and camera angle. Absolute gives you a one-to-one command for up/down/left/right stick movement.

As an example, in Absolute Control, Up is always the Euro Layup and Down is always the Spin Layup - regardless of camera angle.

# 95 bearschicago @ 08/26/10 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSapida

The answer is Yes. Under Controller Settings you have the option for your Shot Stick command to be either Absolute or Camera Relative.

Camera Relative is what we've always had, where stick input takes into account your player's facing, movement, and camera angle. Absolute gives you a one-to-one command for up/down/left/right stick movement.

As an example, in Absolute Control, Up is always the Euro Layup and Down is always the Spin Layup - regardless of camera angle.
Nice!! Now when's it coming out?

# 96 domidomdomz @ 08/26/10 08:23 PM
Quote:

Oh cool. This was what I'm asking from mikenoob. Thanks J!

And yeah, hopefully, Mike will release those vids real soon.

# 97 mikenoob @ 08/26/10 08:26 PM
Mike needs to change his name, I keep assuming people are talking about me when I see Mike. It's not like it's a popular name at all. Also those isomotion moves look real nice. Anyone notice the music keeps playing even if the video is done or paused?

# 98 jfsolo @ 08/26/10 08:28 PM
Absolute control is a must for me. Otherwise I'd be helpless, doing all kinds of crazy stuff off the bounce and with shot releases.

# 99 ffaacc03 @ 08/26/10 08:31 PM
Quote:

From an always dessoriented user ... THANKS, Jerson ... this absolute option would greatly help to improve my game ...

If possible, do you know if there would be an association topic related insight ?

# 100 TheBrothers24 @ 08/26/10 08:42 PM
Quote:

Thank you, I could never do the lay ups and shots i wanted with the camera relative shot stick. This is huge for me.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.