Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Quote:
"Via David Littman.

Hey guys...we will be putting out more and more videos as we drive to finish the game. Next week's videos will be direct capture, because these videos look a bit fast when just filmed with a camera in front of a TV. We will also have more gameplay that has not been seen yet...like put backs, more in-air collisions, hook shots, etc. As we get different dev guys playing the game, they each have different styles, so each set of videos will be different. We will focus on the CPU next week also. I will say that until you feel this game with your own hands (when you get the downloadable demo), it will be tough to understand how much control you truly have over the outcome of the game."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 301 Boilerbuzz @ 09/19/10 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

I guess in the fray the idea that its an interaction can get lost but please dont forget the devs are VIPs here and people with families and jobs like many of us
Devs are people too. They have feelings. They love games like the rest of us. They have strengths and weaknesses like we do. They are not perfect and they certainly don't have to agree with everything you think they should.

reAnimator, please don't let these kinds of posts get to you. I can tell that some posts can come off quite harsh on a personal level. Just realize that sometimes, it's hard to really communicate fully through forums. Thanks for everything, man.

With that said, I think it would be an injustice to chastise someone too much for trying to express themselves. Yes, I'm sure he used the wrong words and got a little personal, but I would bet he expressed a lot of emotions that quite a few people are feeling, but dare not say. It would be lying if people didn't admit that some of the decisions made for the series do not instill long term confidence. But, again, showing everyone the same respect they would expect to be given themselves is a good rule of thumb here.

# 302 rEAnimator @ 09/19/10 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Devs are people too. They have feelings. They love games like the rest of us. They have strengths and weaknesses like we do. They are not perfect and they certainly don't have to agree with everything you think they should.

reAnimator, please don't let these kinds of posts get to you. I can tell that some posts can come off quite harsh on a personal level. Just realize that sometimes, it's hard to really communicate fully through forums. Thanks for everything, man.

With that said, I think it would be an injustice to chastise someone too much for trying to express themselves. Yes, I'm sure he used the wrong words and got a little personal, but I would bet he expressed a lot of emotions that quite a few people are feeling, but dare not say. It would be lying if people didn't admit that some of the decisions made for the series do not instill long term confidence. But, again, showing everyone the same respect they would expect to be given themselves is a good rule of thumb here.
I definitely hear what you're saying.

I've observed quite a bit in my short time on the forums.

There are definitely emotions involved as you said.

There are people who feel betrayed, and I respect where those people are coming from and hope to mend those wounds over time.

There are people who feel uneasy about the new direction, and I can certainly appreciate the concern there and hope we can build trust moving forward.

But there are also people who are taking advantage of those emotions to take cheap shots and bury the positives.

I also know there are people who agree with our direction and are excited by what we're doing. And often they are bullied by that last group of people into silence. I want to see that stop, while still respecting the needs of the people who fall into the first two categories.

Feel free to correct me if my interpretation is wrong. It very well could be.

# 303 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/20/10 12:17 AM
Hmmm ok.....finally got around to watching this.

1. Players moving way too fast in everything they doing from walking to dribbling to jumping. But that can be fixed with the speed slider.

2. Not digging how everybody dribbles the same way. No way does Duhon has the same handles of a Wade or Lebron. Should be some type of penalty for trying to do moves out of character for that player.

3. Seen a lot bumping going on driving to the hole with no foul being called.

# 304 Boilerbuzz @ 09/20/10 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator

There are people who feel betrayed, and I respect where those people are coming from and hope to mend those wounds over time.

There are people who feel uneasy about the new direction, and I can certainly appreciate the concern there and hope we can build trust moving forward.

But there are also people who are taking advantage of those emotions to take cheap shots and bury the positives.

I also know there are people who agree with our direction and are excited by what we're doing. And often they are bullied by that last group of people into silence. I want to see that stop, while still respecting the needs of the people who fall into the first two categories.

This about covers it.

# 305 elprez98 @ 09/20/10 03:19 AM
Quote:

I'll probably get banned for saying anything to contradict a developer, but oh well.

I believe you are way off base.

You cannot say on one hand, "our biggest emphasis was gameplay" and then on the other, be personally offended when people critique Elite using the data given (animations). We can't use gameplay as a benchmark until we have a demo. We can only use the data available, and that by and large, have been the videos released. Again, I don't mean get out of line, but if Elite's biggest asset is gameplay, it would seem infinitely more prudent to get the demo out early. That way, evaluations could be completed including your biggest strengths (gameplay) instead of solely using your biggest weakness (animations).

With Live 10, you guys attracted a lot of attention from people who would haven't taken a 2nd look at Live since it was on PS2. I am one of those. However, at the same time I can't sit here and say I like what Elite is presenting. Without a demo, and again, no offense, but taking a salesman at his word (wait for the demo) is not something that many customers do in this day and age.

Now I do agree that the poster did go to far in questioning your team's passion to create a great game, but other than that I saw a post that is itching for a demo release to make his own judgement on a game.

I do not fall into any of the three categories that you presented. I am an admitted 2k fan, but bigger than that, I am a basketball fan. I enjoyed what Live 10 brought to the table as far as control, especially, as I hadn't bought a Live game in over half a decade.

Finally, you say these guys are bullying out intrigued, excited fans and that could be the case. However, I think what is a bit more likely is that your post coupled with the fear of being banned from OS, will make those of us who would like to give open and honest feedback, more hesitant to do so.

# 306 23 @ 09/20/10 03:34 AM
elprez I dont think you have to worry about being banned for your opposing post.

What I was saying, I was not directing at that one poster but the quip about personally questioning the mens work ethic and whatnot is another story.

It was a general comment and I wanted to throw out there, that there is a TOS stipulation to be mindful of..

That said, there are a myriad of reasons why people have different views on this game... for one the people who got burned with EA's NCAA basketball definitely doesnt want to hear from some fanboy that they're being unfair for not believing or trusting anything said to them.

I see guys here who are gung ho who have no idea about the guys who have been here for years, giving their input, told they were being listened to, continued to support the series without such, then come in a decided it just needs to be shut down.. Its not going to happen that easy.

There are some people here who have been burned we all know this, and trust is earned not given. As of right now the longer the delay of a demo the more speculation on what has been said and seen will follow.

Either way everyone will have to get used to opposing views and respect it as such and thats it...

We can definitely do that without going into eachothers households and stuff

That said, its a shame that the refs will be left on the court like billboard fodder as if its not that important. In the year of 2010 its almost nill that some things shouldnt even be an issue anymore

# 307 elprez98 @ 09/20/10 03:59 AM
I understand about keeping the reigns on the site and I agree on all points.

Honestly, I could do without the moving refs, but like you said, that is something that shouldn't even be an afterthought in a 2010 game.

One of the thing that bothers me the most about Elite is the player/player interactions, particularly on the dunks. Whenever there is player/player contact, to me, it looks like there is a millisecond pause between when the offensive player meets the defender and when the game calculates the correct interaction. I know, it is probably all in my mind, but nevertheless, it bothers me.

# 308 23 @ 09/20/10 04:07 AM
If you can see that you have a real keen eye lol

Im just saying, if something such as that has been left out, im assuming people are reminded of other things that were sacrificed and or overlooked that adds immersion or that might make sense to the customers..

Again... we'll see how it all plays out

# 309 rEAnimator @ 09/20/10 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
I understand about keeping the reigns on the site and I agree on all points.

Honestly, I could do without the moving refs, but like you said, that is something that shouldn't even be an afterthought in a 2010 game.

One of the thing that bothers me the most about Elite is the player/player interactions, particularly on the dunks. Whenever there is player/player contact, to me, it looks like there is a millisecond pause between when the offensive player meets the defender and when the game calculates the correct interaction. I know, it is probably all in my mind, but nevertheless, it bothers me.
This is a really good point actually. In my drive to make things physics driven I did lose sight of one thing which is how players anticipate collision before it happens.

This is probably what you're noticing.

I did have time to add some anticipation on dribble collisions, but there's a lot of improvement we can do there, and even more so on anticipation of in air collisions.

We did accomplish our goal of eliminating the suction effect of the two player animations by moving to a physics driven system, and players can branch out at any time to give you vastly improved responsiveness, so I'm not by any means disappointed by what we accomplished.

But there are definitely areas for further improvement, and I think this is one of them.

# 310 rEAnimator @ 09/20/10 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
You cannot say on one hand, "our biggest emphasis was gameplay" and then on the other, be personally offended when people critique Elite using the data given (animations). We can't use gameplay as a benchmark until we have a demo.
Hey man, I have no problems with people criticizing the animation quality based on videos. Keep it coming.

There have been countless posts on that subject with a good back and forth discussion on priorities, implementation details and tradeoffs.

If everyone made valid points like the one you just made in your post about collision timings being off, the discourse would be enjoyable and constructive.

Most posts have been like this which is why I keep coming back.

# 311 gmac0322 @ 09/20/10 07:35 AM
Quote:
Hey man, I have no problems with people criticizing the animation quality based on videos. Keep it coming.

There have been countless posts on that subject with a good back and forth discussion on priorities, implementation details and tradeoffs.

If everyone made valid points like the one you just made in your post about collision timings being off, the discourse would be enjoyable and constructive.

Most posts have been like this which is why I keep coming back.

So is there going to be something done about the refs and are there going to be foul sliders in the game so that every collision at the rim isnt a no call?

# 312 Super Glock @ 09/20/10 12:58 PM
Quote:

No correction needed, you are exactly on target great post. I definitely see and agree with the direction this series is going and want to encourage you to keep at it. Unfortunately for the most part on the Elite forum you arent going to get a lot of good constructive criticism but mostly negative immature posts from people with an agenda if you know what I mean.

But none the less there still has been some mature posters with some valuable
constructive criticism. I for one am very excited with the direction EA is going with this series and won't be bullied by some of the nonsense.

# 313 sportyguyfl31 @ 09/20/10 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac0322
So is there going to be something done about the refs and are there going to be foul sliders in the game so that every collision at the rim isnt a no call?

# 314 champsbasketball @ 09/20/10 03:30 PM
first of all thanks for all the info. and i just have a quick question, will the ps3 elite 11 play just as great as 360 does? cause i have a ps3 and the 360 version seems to always play better and i thought the ps3 would play better because of the more dics space it has.

# 315 champsbasketball @ 09/20/10 03:35 PM
can you please add "Waters" as a last name cause every year i think you guys are gonna add it and its never there lol, so just please tell me you can add this name before the retail version comes out...

# 316 rEAnimator @ 09/20/10 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac0322
As I said in another post, I don't know if we'll be able to patch the refs back in or not. I should get a better idea of the plans when I make it back into the office.

My trip was ended early because of the typhoon in Taiwan so I'm back now, just fighting jet lag.

As for the slider question, if we had a foul slider last year I would expect it to still be there. I never used the sliders myself so I'd have to double check on that one as well.

Sorry for not having very clear answers on these.

# 317 rEAnimator @ 09/20/10 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by champsbasketball
first of all thanks for all the info. and i just have a quick question, will the ps3 elite 11 play just as great as 360 does? cause i have a ps3 and the 360 version seems to always play better and i thought the ps3 would play better because of the more dics space it has.
The game should play the same on both systems.

# 318 rEAnimator @ 09/20/10 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by champsbasketball
can you please add "Waters" as a last name cause every year i think you guys are gonna add it and its never there lol, so just please tell me you can add this name before the retail version comes out...
If it's not in there right now, it won't get in this year. But I have no idea if it made it or not. Everything was re-recorded with the new audio this years so who knows.

My name didn't get in

# 319 gmac0322 @ 09/20/10 04:48 PM
Quote:
As I said in another post, I don't know if we'll be able to patch the refs back in or not. I should get a better idea of the plans when I make it back into the office.

My trip was ended early because of the typhoon in Taiwan so I'm back now, just fighting jet lag.

As for the slider question, if we had a foul slider last year I would expect it to still be there. I never used the sliders myself so I'd have to double check on that one as well.

Sorry for not having very clear answers on these.

it is ok. thanks for answering my question and i look forward to trying out the demo when it drops. hopefully sooner than later lol

# 320 champsbasketball @ 09/21/10 09:47 AM
Quote:
The game should play the same on both systems.
thanks for answering

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.