Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight. This one talks about the expanded playcall system.

Quote:
"All Teams Are Not Created Equal - Each team has a base playbook of at least thirty plays that reflect their coach's philosophy and style of play. The marquis teams also have additional plays available to them that they can run for additional flavor. We created individual sets for teams as well. What this means is that even though two coaches may use a floppy set, their personnel and style may dictate that their floppy set starts differently than that of another team that runs a floppy. Now even if teams run plays that have the same end goal, the look you get from team to team will differ based on how they run it and who they run it with.

If you consider that we have well over 1000 plays across all the current and the old school NBA teams, you will see that, as a User, you have a plethora of options to vary your offense."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Goffs @ 09/07/10 03:45 PM
Does the playstation move needed its own insight? Can't wait for the vid!

# 22 JWiLL02 @ 09/07/10 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Does the playstation move needed its own insight? Can't wait for the vid!
Can't really complain when it's coming the day after a key insight, with more Czar breakdowns coming each day from what I understand.

With the option to get the game for either 360 or PS3 I still see no reason why I'd put up with the expected online issues on PSN, even with the "Move" option.

Though with an entire insight dedicated to it, it must be more than a gimmick.

# 23 Da_Czar @ 09/07/10 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
That makes a lot of sense either. You can only have 2 or 3 bench players at most (oftentimes, only one) with the same position included on the rotation, so yeah it makes sense. I would care less about assigning a specific play for 3rd string guys.

So there will be like 40 plays assigned on the fly, correct?

4 plays for each 5 starters = 20
4 plays for each bench position = 20

EDIT: One clarification, what about a player like Lamar Odom? He's our 6th man and he's a PF, so does that mean Derrick Caracter (PF/C) will also have plays like what Lamar has? Or there will be exception to have specific plays for specific bench players like Lamar, Manu, Jamal Crawford and other superb 6th men?
yes but it probably won't be 40 unique plays unless that team has an expanded playbook. They have a lot of plays but not that many LOL.

For the Character Odom example I would have 1 post play for character and 3 plays for lamar. Or however you decide to work it out.

# 24 WTF @ 09/07/10 03:54 PM
I can't wait to see my man Czar break things down with the Thunder. Excellent writeup Rob Jones. You know how to listen to the fans of the game, and integrate the right things. Definitely excited about what I've read.

Now I can't wait to see it in action.

# 25 greenegt @ 09/07/10 03:56 PM
The info just keeps getting better and better. I could not be more hyped for this game.

# 26 jr2424 @ 09/07/10 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWiLL02
Can't really complain when it's coming the day after a key insight, with more Czar breakdowns coming each day from what I understand.

With the option to get the game for either 360 or PS3 I still see no reason why I'd put up with the expected online issues on PSN, even with the "Move" option.

Though with an entire insight dedicated to it, it must be more than a gimmick.
Curious to know how you're sure there will be "expected online issues on PSN"?

# 27 23 @ 09/07/10 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I can't wait to see my man Czar break things down with the Thunder. Excellent writeup Rob Jones. You know how to listen to the fans of the game, and integrate the right things. Definitely excited about what I've read.

Now I can't wait to see it in action.
Agreed man, it makes a huge difference.

The thunder cant be a co inky dink can it?

Now that the insight is out, lets move on to the meat and potatoes
if you will, the Gu de grau... yeah I know I spelled it wrong lol

Bring on the video

# 28 JWiLL02 @ 09/07/10 04:00 PM
I want to see some SMOOTH catch and shoot situations with KD! Nothing more frustrating in 2k10 than making a great passing play, only to have it negated by terrible shot preparation on the catch.

Really just want to see KD's jumper in general, I'm sure it feels far better than his broken J last year.

*Pulls up for a wide open 3 with KD and misses terribly*

Kevin Harlan: "Durant way off on the long distance runner"

Huh?

# 29 jr2424 @ 09/07/10 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Agreed man, it makes a huge difference.

The thunder cant be a co inky dink can it?

Now that the insight is out, lets move on to the meat and potatoes
if you will, the Gu de grau... yeah I know I spelled it wrong lol

Bring on the video
100 percent. WE WANT THE VID ... WE WANT THE VID

# 30 domidomdomz @ 09/07/10 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
yes but it probably won't be 40 unique plays unless that team has an expanded playbook. They have a lot of plays but not that many LOL.

For the Character Odom example I would have 1 post play for character and 3 plays for lamar. Or however you decide to work it out.
Ahaha. Yeah. Silly me. How can I not think of the Bench PF to have 3 plays for Lamar and 1 for a conventional PF. I can just pause the game and change the assigned plays anyways.

Thanks, Czar!

Another question, lol, from what I have understand from Ronnie's tweet:

Quote:
RT @KrobifyHey @Ronnie2K, is it possible that we will see every NBA team gameplay by the October 5th?->@Da_Czar feature should get you close
Are you going to release bunch of videos for each team, as in like 1 or 2 teams each day or every other day? I know that's too much but hopefully... lol

# 31 Kujo @ 09/07/10 04:03 PM
Never liked the D-Pad play call system, and the lack of team/player specific play calling. Now I'll truly have a reason to call plays. This is a great improvement if it works as good advertised.

# 32 JWiLL02 @ 09/07/10 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
Curious to know how you're sure there will be "expected online issues on PSN"?
In general my online games last year were smooth and responsive on 360.

Tried playing it online on my buddies PS3 and it was brutal. It was moving at about 20 FPS. Attempted a few more games and though they weren't all that bad, it was no where near the same experience as playing on Xbox Live.

It's not so much a 2k thing, I just find PSN to be inferior. Some games are fine (Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, COD, etc.) but I've yet to play a sports game on PSN that felt good.

It could change this year, but I doubt it.

# 33 jr2424 @ 09/07/10 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWiLL02
In general my online games last year were smooth and responsive on 360.

Tried playing it online on my buddies PS3 and it was brutal. It was moving at about 20 FPS. Attempted a few more games and though they weren't all that bad, it was no where near the same experience as playing on Xbox Live.

It's not so much a 2k thing, I just find PSN to be inferior. Some games are fine (Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, COD, etc.) but I've yet to play a sports game on PSN that felt good.

It could change this year, but I doubt it.
I didn't play 2k on 360 because most of my friends play on PS3 and the lag was/is brutal. I thought it was like that on both consoles. I play other games on PS3 (ton of battlefield) and never experience issues. Always just figured it was a 2k thing. Sorry for going off topic on this thread. Didn't mean to, just curious about the online. Thanks.

# 34 TheBadazz @ 09/07/10 04:11 PM
Great insight. Flipped plays, wow this was really needed.

Now the only insights I'm waiting for is Association, and Presentation (w/ NBA today info)

2K showing Czar and OS some love.

# 35 Rocboyz101 @ 09/07/10 04:12 PM
Kinda confused, the video is private on purpose eh?

# 36 Jano @ 09/07/10 04:14 PM
Yea its not being released until 5PM pst..

Not sure why they posted the link though if it was going to be private until then lol!

# 37 Mr_Riddick @ 09/07/10 04:16 PM
@Da_Czar, Just out of curiosity, what stage of development will these videos be shown?

# 38 TheBadazz @ 09/07/10 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
Yea its not being released until 5PM pst.
That's 8PM est and 7PM cst. Before someone else asks.

# 39 youvalss @ 09/07/10 04:22 PM
I think the last time I really ran plays was in 2K9...if I'm not mistaken. I'll probably get back to it this year, sim style all the way, baby!

# 40 JWiLL02 @ 09/07/10 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadazz
That's 8PM est and 7PM cst. Before someone else asks.
Don't forget 6pm Mountain Time...for all the Nordic ballers out there.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.