Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight. This one talks about the expanded playcall system.

Quote:
"All Teams Are Not Created Equal - Each team has a base playbook of at least thirty plays that reflect their coach's philosophy and style of play. The marquis teams also have additional plays available to them that they can run for additional flavor. We created individual sets for teams as well. What this means is that even though two coaches may use a floppy set, their personnel and style may dictate that their floppy set starts differently than that of another team that runs a floppy. Now even if teams run plays that have the same end goal, the look you get from team to team will differ based on how they run it and who they run it with.

If you consider that we have well over 1000 plays across all the current and the old school NBA teams, you will see that, as a User, you have a plethora of options to vary your offense."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Jukeman @ 09/07/10 04:26 PM
Niceeeee

I wonder if "Individualized Plays" are stuck in the team playbook or does it stick with the player?

Like if Odom wasnt on the lakers anymore, would he occasionally run plays from his position on a new team assuming he would have that role on a new team IRL?

Also, how about Manu?

If he left the Spurs in my Association; Would Manu still have Manu specific plays on a different team? Will the Spurs still run Manu specific plays for a new player on the team or will it just vanish?

# 42 TheBadazz @ 09/07/10 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWiLL02
Don't forget 6pm Mountain Time...for all the Nordic ballers out there.
Oh forgot that one. Thank you sir.

# 43 jeebs9 @ 09/07/10 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Niceeeee

I wonder if "Individualized Plays" are stuck in the team playbook or does it stick with the player?

Like if Odom wasnt on the lakers anymore, would he occasionally run plays from his position on a new team assuming he would have that role on a new team IRL?

Also, how about Manu?

If he left the Spurs in my Association; Would Manu still have Manu specific plays on a different team? Will the Spurs still run Manu specific plays for a new player on the team or will it just vanish?
Sticks with the player. Meaning any position you put him on the floor as. There will run it for him...very very nice!!

# 44 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 09/07/10 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
Yea its not being released until 5PM pst..

Not sure why they posted the link though if it was going to be private until then lol!
okay so now im confused, does that mean we all will be able to watch it then?

# 45 Goffs @ 09/07/10 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWiLL02
Can't really complain when it's coming the day after a key insight, with more Czar breakdowns coming each day from what I understand.

With the option to get the game for either 360 or PS3 I still see no reason why I'd put up with the expected online issues on PSN, even with the "Move" option.

Though with an entire insight dedicated to it, it must be more than a gimmick.
Good point....looks like the ps3 got some love this year...lets see if you guys get customizable arena sounds to...
Was hoping for a audio insight though...

# 46 infam0us @ 09/07/10 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
okay so now im confused, does that mean we all will be able to watch it then?
Forgot your time zones?

# 47 ehh @ 09/07/10 04:45 PM
A major upgrade to this part of 2K basketball has been needed for a while. CH2K8's play creator let you solve some issues but this should take things to a whole new level. Certainly one of my biggest gripes with 2K9 & 10 was the play calling, it was so slow and cumbersome and players just walked through the motions like it was the morning shoot-around.

The individual plays is something that's sorely been needed in a basketball game for years. Can't wait to use those.

# 48 AlphaTrojan @ 09/07/10 04:49 PM
Great news, I'll definitely be running way more plays than I did last year.

# 49 TheKasmar @ 09/07/10 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jones
Start a play early, before everyone is set- This works great for teams like Phoenix, where Steve Nash isn’t really waiting to for people to be in their set location. Once the needed players are in position, the play starts. This keeps the tempo up for teams that really want to get shots up quickly.
This should be nice. Hopefully plays cant be broken just because somebody calls a zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jones
Flipped Plays- This, again, was done to speed up how quickly you could start running your play. Last year, the criterion for flipping plays was pretty stringent, and limited to AI teams only. This year, we made it more intelligent and easier for the AI to determine when they should run a play from the flipped formation.
So we still dont have the option to do this manually? We have to rely on the AI to flip the play?

# 50 idrisguitar @ 09/07/10 04:59 PM
id rather the AI do it, as long as they do it instantly (or as close to instantly as possible)

i dont want to have to get into the front court, looking at my players positioning and decide if i need to flip it. that totally eradicates rob's earlier point of trying to make plays faster.,

if you can call a play before getting into the front court, with the ai already flipped and the players close to getting in position its truly means we can have a proper system, and teams like golden state and phoenix can play their games properly.

without auto you would take too much time to get it initiated for this to be done right.

so yeah, a good auto is much better than manual, but of course if it sucsk again then a amanual option is somethign i guess (i doubt i would ever use it either way)

# 51 BattleTested20 @ 09/07/10 05:00 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what flipped plays mean? Does it just mean that the play would come out the other side than it was originally intended??

# 52 Shelb @ 09/07/10 05:03 PM
Does this mean New York and Golden State have no offense plays to call?

# 53 jeebs9 @ 09/07/10 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
This should be nice. Hopefully plays cant be broken just because somebody calls a zone.

So we still dont have the option to do this manually? We have to rely on the AI to flip the play?
We have the opition to flip the plays. He was talking inregards to the CPU flipping their own plays. The CPU would do it randomly in 2k10. But in 2k11 it uses the player tendicies to call more plays that fit the player. A great example would be Ray Allen shoot better 3 pointers from the left side. CPU will call more plays to the left side for Ray Allen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTested20
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what flipped plays mean? Does it just mean that the play would come out the other side than it was originally intended??
Yes... its like flipping a play in Madden.

# 54 Jukeman @ 09/07/10 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Sticks with the player. Meaning any position you put him on the floor as. There will run it for him...very very nice!!

# 55 jeebs9 @ 09/07/10 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelb
Are you serious?....lol

# 56 BigDaneAyMane @ 09/07/10 05:09 PM
This is great. Only concern is I use specific button passing with LB often. I hope they mapped that to RB or something and didn't completely nix it.

# 57 Rocboyz101 @ 09/07/10 05:09 PM
Quote:
We have the opition to flip the plays. He was talking inregards to the CPU flipping their own plays. The CPU would do it randomly in 2k10. But in 2k11 it uses the player tendicies to call more plays that fit the player. A great example would be Ray Allen shoot better 3 pointers from the left side. CPU will call more plays to the left side for Ray Allen.

Yes... its like flipping a play in Madden.
That idea didn't process in my head until you said that. I know exactly how its gonna work now. This is a really great thing.

# 58 TheKasmar @ 09/07/10 05:10 PM
Quote:
We have the opition to flip the plays.

I must have missed that part. Where does it say we have the options manually?

# 59 Theyhateme459 @ 09/07/10 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadazz
Great insight. Flipped plays, wow this was really needed.

Now the only insights I'm waiting for is Association, and Presentation (w/ NBA today info)

2K showing Czar and OS some love.
I feel you on this.... The only thing I am waiting on now is association news. Everything else has been great thus far, but for me Association is what decides rather I buy this game or not.

# 60 CKAP3 @ 09/07/10 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelb
WOW L M A O

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.