Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, discussing the Association.

Quote:
"Over the past few years, we have implemented some very successful features in NBA.com, Player Roles, Player Ambitions, Player Morale, Player Personalities, and so on. I feel like these additions have defined the 2K Association experience. Moving forward, I would like The Association to be defined by something completely different, and that’s the smartest AI of any franchise mode across all sports titles.

To achieve this goal, the main focus for us this year has been to completely re-write the underlying logic that drives the mode, along with adding new systems that will help the AI to make the smartest decisions possible at all times. Every time the CPU makes a move, they are making it for a very precise reason. It may not be completely evident to you at first as they often think two, three, even four steps ahead, but they are always thinking, always assessing. They have brains this year folks; here is how we did it…"

Read the entire blog right here.

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 301 LionsFanNJ @ 09/25/10 10:55 PM
I was NOT expecting them to add all this stuff to the association mode, I mena all the CPU roster logic alone has me excited.

Also, sorry OKC but Mr Shawn T. Kemp and the Seattle Supersonics have returned to Reign over the NBA.

# 302 pabryant @ 09/25/10 11:14 PM
My question, and it's very important to which mode I play, is, with all the improvements 2K has made to the Association, are all the same things going on, under the hood, in MyPlayer. I want to play MyPlayer, I like it a lot, but if all of these AI features are not happening in MyPlayer mode, I guess I'll be strictly Association this year.

# 303 econoodle @ 09/26/10 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetoman
So with this new signing logic.....I wonder who is going to pick up Allen Iverson!!!

or Marbury! lol he's still in it.

# 304 econoodle @ 09/26/10 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
One simple answer.. Yes sir.

You have the option to turn them on or off before you begin your Association
will they be there at the onset?
if i remember correctly, the preseason games started in year 2?
or am i mistaken.

# 305 Gosens6 @ 09/26/10 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
will they be there at the onset?
if i remember correctly, the preseason games started in year 2?
or am i mistaken.
I believe you're correct that they do start the second season.

# 306 econoodle @ 09/26/10 11:06 AM
Quote:
I believe you're correct that they do start the second season.

thanks gosen
very odd choice by 2k there.

# 307 JBH3 @ 09/26/10 09:05 PM
Depending on the execution of all of these AI upgrades...this could very well be the G.O.A.T for sports video games.

EDIT: I think this kind of power is what we all expecting from yr1 of the next-gen of gaming.

# 308 ghettog @ 09/26/10 10:36 PM
I played it a little Association mainly simmed a entire season while playing 3 games just to see whats changed.

Some thoughts on it. Trades are definitely tougher to pull off depending on the situation. Last year you can trade someone a bad a contract like for an expiring who is lower overall easily. In 2k11 im at the start of my 2nd season I was trying to do move Dfish who had 1+ player option and Matt Carroll who is also 1+ player option for lower rating expirings since im over the hard cap and need some breathing room. And nope no way no how can I move these contracts to any team without including more. And no 2nd rounders wont do they want real quality players or 1st rounders. However Deals that benefit you can still go down, but definitely depends on different scenarios as mentioned in the insight.

One thing I didnt really like to see is who teams are signing. One example a 56 overall undrafted rookie got a 4 year 31.87m deal in the off season from the kings I checked his potential thinking it must be way high but it was 75. Hes a center just to add context the Kings have a 73 overall Demarcus Cousins at Center and 67 overall Delmbert as back up Center. Also a 55 overall undrafted rookie got a 4 year 20mil deal +6.19m team option from Hornets also a Center 73 potential. So some weird stuff goes on I guess. Thats just what I noticed so far at a quick look.

As for the free agent contracts wants. Didnt seem hugely different. Greg Oden wanted a big contract he was a FA got 4years 55.35 and a 16.85m po for a 5th year. JR Smith seemed to want then same type of deal starting around 9 mil and going up. Zach Randoph's asking price did seem lower then in 2k10 though. So some the same some different. It was nice to be able to split the MLE and monover around the hard cap and sign 2 guys Keyon Martin and Arron Affalo the only 2 guys I offered contracts im the Lakers both accepted. Also signed some minimum guys to fill it out.

Didnt notice any weird signings like in 2k10 that overloads one position seems good so far in that respect 1 year in. Melo opted out and signed with Suns with no real help other then a 80overall Nash. Warriors improved their team by signing Yao Ming at Center who is better then 73ovr Biedrins and Zbo at PF who is better then 71 overall Udoh. They also drafted 79 overall SF as the number 1 pick in the draft. As for David Lee they seemed to have traded him to the hawks during the 1st season in a trade involving Jamal Crawford going to the Warriors who was expiring the Warriors sucked so they went for expirings even moving a good player like Lee to gain cap room. Good move? What they have a year later is a pretty good team though and probably helped them get the 1st pick since the trade made them suck more.

I really am liking 2k11 though thats just some of the stuff I noticed like over the last hour in association mode.

Also that weird glitch is back where the NBA finals the team that is suppose to have homecourt doesn't. Game 7 of NBA finals was Lakers @ Hawks even though Lakers had the best record in the NBA and Hawks werent really close. I guess a patch will fix that but remember that glitch is past 2ks.

The NBA draft day trades are pretty sweet. I was offered Hedo's contract and the 5th pick for Devin Harris Twolves offered this Didnt know who the 5th pick was gonna be so I declined ended up being a 81 overall SF. Twolves already had flin at PG and they needed a SF so seem like a stupid trade they offered me. After they drafted the SF though I tried to make the same deal to them and they declined.

Also just want to say Association seems way more smoother menus wise. Remember in 2k10 when it was all slow when you went into places like award races this year it just loads straight up. Definitely like that. Also turning auto save off is awesome which makes it way way more smoother and I can save when i want to save. Also simulating seems faster as well. In the playoffs simulating a entire round took like 1 or 2 seconds. So yea just way more smoother. Going to the NBA.com main page doesnt stall the pictures wont load right away but it will go there right away and you can move until everything loads.

Im really loving the game. The association im liking a lot as well.

# 309 Streets @ 09/26/10 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettog
I played it a little Association mainly simmed a entire season while playing 3 games just to see whats changed.

Some thoughts on it. Trades are definitely tougher to pull off depending on the situation. Last year you can trade someone a bad a contract like for an expiring who is lower overall easily. In 2k11 im at the start of my 2nd season I was trying to do move Dfish who had 1+ player option and Matt Carroll who is also 1+ player option for lower rating expirings since im over the hard cap and need some breathing room. And nope no way no how can I move these contracts to any team without including more. And no 2nd rounders wont do they want real quality players or 1st rounders. However Deals that benefit you can still go down, but definitely depends on different scenarios as mentioned in the insight.

One thing I didnt really like to see is who teams are signing. One example a 56 overall undrafted rookie got a 4 year 31.87m deal in the off season from the kings I checked his potential thinking it must be way high but it was 75. Hes a center just to add context the Kings have a 73 overall Demarcus Cousins at Center and 67 overall Delmbert as back up Center. Also a 55 overall undrafted rookie got a 4 year 20mil deal +6.19m team option from Hornets also a Center 73 potential. So some weird stuff goes on I guess. Thats just what I noticed so far at a quick look.

As for the free agent contracts wants. Didnt seem hugely different. Greg Oden wanted a big contract he was a FA got 4years 55.35 and a 16.85m po for a 5th year. JR Smith seemed to want then same type of deal starting around 9 mil and going up. Zach Randoph's asking price did seem lower then in 2k10 though. So some the same some different. It was nice to be able to split the MLE and monover around the hard cap and sign 2 guys Keyon Martin and Arron Affalo the only 2 guys I offered contracts im the Lakers both accepted. Also signed some minimum guys to fill it out.

Didnt notice any weird signings like in 2k10 that overloads one position seems good so far in that respect 1 year in. Melo opted out and signed with Suns with no real help other then a 80overall Nash. Warriors improved their team by signing Yao Ming at Center who is better then 73ovr Biedrins and Zbo at PF who is better then 71 overall Udoh. They also drafted 79 overall SF as the number 1 pick in the draft. As for David Lee they seemed to have traded him to the hawks during the 1st season in a trade involving Jamal Crawford going to the Warriors who was expiring the Warriors sucked so they went for expirings even moving a good player like Lee to gain cap room. Good move? What they have a year later is a pretty good team though and probably helped them get the 1st pick since the trade made them suck more.

I really am liking 2k11 though thats just some of the stuff I noticed like over the last hour in association mode.

Also that weird glitch is back where the NBA finals the team that is suppose to have homecourt doesn't. Game 7 of NBA finals was Lakers @ Hawks even though Lakers had the best record in the NBA and Hawks werent really close. I guess a patch will fix that but remember that glitch is past 2ks.

The NBA draft day trades are pretty sweet. I was offered Hedo's contract and the 5th pick for Devin Harris Twolves offered this Didnt know who the 5th pick was gonna be so I declined ended up being a 81 overall SF. Twolves already had flin at PG and they needed a SF so seem like a stupid trade they offered me. After they drafted the SF though I tried to make the same deal to them and they declined.

Also just want to say Association seems way more smoother menus wise. Remember in 2k10 when it was all slow when you went into places like award races this year it just loads straight up. Definitely like that. Also turning auto save off is awesome which makes it way way more smoother and I can save when i want to save. Also simulating seems faster as well. In the playoffs simulating a entire round took like 1 or 2 seconds. So yea just way more smoother. Going to the NBA.com main page doesnt stall the pictures wont load right away but it will go there right away and you can move until everything loads.

Im really loving the game. The association im liking a lot as well.
Thanks for that write-up! I'm an association junkie so any and all information is appreciated. Weird that GS signed Yao since I'm assuming their team identity is to run and gun. Yao doesn't make much sense and fit their style. Oh well. I asked some association questions in the Q&A thread that got looked over. If you have time later, I'll ask you instead if your up to answering some.

# 310 ghettog @ 09/27/10 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Thanks for that write-up! I'm an association junkie so any and all information is appreciated. Weird that GS signed Yao since I'm assuming their team identity is to run and gun. Yao doesn't make much sense and fit their style. Oh well. I asked some association questions in the Q&A thread that got looked over. If you have time later, I'll ask you instead if your up to answering some.
No problem. And I just shut 2k off for the night, but go ahead and post what you posted in the Q&A thread if you want. Depending what kind of questions they are I might be able to answer them.

Also I noticed something else I didn't like. The 2nd Off season Evan Turner was a FA which means the Sixers did not pick up the team option which is a small amount for his talents. Just would never happen in real life. Not sure where he signed forgot to check. Also I saw Derek Rose as a FA who went on to go to the Pacers after not getting many offers hes 91overall by this point. He was a restricted FA bulls letting him go would never happen in real life. Not realistic but definitely shakes things up.

# 311 NDAlum @ 09/27/10 12:49 AM
Well I might just have to do the 30-team GM route again. I'd rather not but I don't want D-Rose to be given up like that.

# 312 ghettog @ 09/27/10 01:11 AM
Ok Streets looked at the post that I think you meant and here is what I can answer of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Thanks for doing this baseballguy... we appreciate it. I have some for when you toy around with association.

* Has scouting improved at all? Any changes?

Sorry not really sure didn't spend to much time with that last year.

* Are D-League Rosters editable before starting a season, or better yet do they have real players?

No don't see anywhere to edit them before going into association/season. And I don't really know any D-League players, but they seems generic to me around the same overalls through every team and have pictures like created players/association draft rookies.

* Can you set injuries before starting an Association? (Doubt it)

You cant.

* Do head coaches take their playbooks with them when getting traded to teams? Does the team identity change with new coaching?

My Lakers association Phil Jackson retired after the 2nd season in. I signed some coach named Oscar Wall to replace him. He uses the 76ers playbook on the Lakers team so I guess that's a yes. You can change what playbook they use through the coach profiles page.

* Can you edit/change coaches before starting an association (Roster Management maybe?)

No don't see anywhere to do that.

# 313 Streets @ 09/27/10 11:50 AM
Thanks a lot man! Those were indeed my questions. Keep the insights and impressions coming!

I asked another one in the demo thread... here it is, since you're quick with it:

Can you tell me what the top 5-10 rated rookies are in the draft and their positions (Association)? Last year, there were like 5 "John Walls" every year, and I'm wondering if they fixed it? I don't import classes (though maybe I should), so am interested in this.

Basically are their like 5-10 "80+ overall" guys

# 314 cdotharris @ 09/27/10 12:05 PM
Hi if you don't mind could you tell us how the simulated stats look as you progress through the association as well as the trade logic the A.I has when it trades with itself? Thank You very much if you can.

# 315 Heiks @ 09/27/10 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettog
Hmm, what's that all about? Doesn't seem good...

# 316 Gosens6 @ 09/27/10 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiks
Have you guys forgot about team styles and player values?

That guy may seem worthless to you all, but if he fit perfectly into the team style he could be a huge asset to the team that signed him. His value might be through the roof with them because he fits their style so well

# 317 KodeRed2Klub @ 09/27/10 12:39 PM
2 questions for Assoc:

1.) Can we still create and upload draft classes to assoc?

2.) Are the rookie models already predetermined, or can we edit their features?

# 318 TheWorldIsYours @ 09/27/10 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiks
Sorry guys but he does not have the game.

# 319 Heiks @ 09/27/10 02:29 PM
Quote:
Have you guys forgot about team styles and player values?

That guy may seem worthless to you all, but if he fit perfectly into the team style he could be a huge asset to the team that signed him. His value might be through the roof with them because he fits their style so well
Based on the fact that CPU builds rotations according to the overall rating, 56 OVR with a potential of 75 is pretty much an injury reserve on any team for years, no matter how well he fits the system. Besides, since when do teams give an [low-rated] undrafted rookie who has two much better players ahead of him at the same position a multi-year deal close to the full mid-level exception or more?

I'd accept that only if the team had no centers at all and that undrafted rookie would be the only big man in the whole free agent pool. Even then such a signing would be questionable.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I've absolutely loved everything what I've seen so far and NBA 2K11 is probably going to be the best basketball video game ever, but that doesn't mean it has to be flawless.

# 320 eyes of hazel @ 09/27/10 03:52 PM
First and foremost, thanks to the guys spending time answering questions/posting insights for us "junkies".

Great reads.

I know the guys at 2k can't catch little everything, but as long as I'm manually able to edit (i.e. those bogus contracts undrafted rookies get from teams every off-season in Association) I'm good like The Clipse.

Can't wait until the 5th. Not even sweating getting this early -- My player in 2k10 will hold me over.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.