Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, discussing the Association.

Quote:
"Over the past few years, we have implemented some very successful features in NBA.com, Player Roles, Player Ambitions, Player Morale, Player Personalities, and so on. I feel like these additions have defined the 2K Association experience. Moving forward, I would like The Association to be defined by something completely different, and that’s the smartest AI of any franchise mode across all sports titles.

To achieve this goal, the main focus for us this year has been to completely re-write the underlying logic that drives the mode, along with adding new systems that will help the AI to make the smartest decisions possible at all times. Every time the CPU makes a move, they are making it for a very precise reason. It may not be completely evident to you at first as they often think two, three, even four steps ahead, but they are always thinking, always assessing. They have brains this year folks; here is how we did it…"

Read the entire blog right here.

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 J-H!zZl3 @ 09/22/10 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbolo84
Couldn't agree more. That is what makes 2k the GOAT in my opinion. When they address something they REALLY go after it and more. Absolutely incredible depth this year in Association.
Agreed. They made huge strides this year. I look forward to playing Association mode. I will be using the Classic teams as well.

# 62 kpax1º1 @ 09/22/10 02:17 PM
Jesus, this was a good read, no more black silhouettes. C'mon October 5th!!!!

# 63 Streets @ 09/22/10 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2bll
Seems like they are setting up the perfect "owner" mode from madden 06 for next yr. After all these changes I'm trying to think about where could they possibly take this next yr to up the ante again. What do you guys think?
* Improved scouting
* Editable/Real D-League Rosters
* The ability to set injuries before starting an Association (type, how severe and for how long)
* Realistic draft picks (i.e. the Rockets owning the Knicks 2012 being reflected in the game, or at least the ability to customize this before starting an Association
* The ability to "swap picks" and "add protection"
* Role players/ bench guys morale not sucking because... well they suck and aren't getting playing time.
* Ability to promote assistant coaches.
* Ability to edit/swap coaches when managing rosters before starting an Association

Just to name a few.

# 64 warhorseballa06 @ 09/22/10 02:19 PM
who care about 2k12! this is an overhaul for the ages. we'll cross 2k12 bridge when it gets here.

# 65 myownsun @ 09/22/10 02:20 PM
Quote:
Seems like they are setting up the perfect "owner" mode from madden 06 for next yr.
I was kinda hoping 2k would've added that in this year but what they have included is very much smile inducing .

# 66 lakers4life @ 09/22/10 02:22 PM
Man on man, this games getting me pumped.

One little thing that would be cool for future 2k's is if they can get the rights for FIBA and every offseason USA would offer 1-2 players from your team to try out for the USA team and play for the FIBA championship. That would be sweet

But damn, I can't wait for Oct 5 to swing by..

# 67 jerseyballer7 @ 09/22/10 02:24 PM
Wow...2k keeps on moving the bar up with these new additions. I loved every paragraph of that article. I can't wait to start my fantasy association

# 68 youvalss @ 09/22/10 02:26 PM
Quote:
I'd hate to be 2k12!
Actually, I'd hate to be 2K11 when 2K12 is released. Imagine that next year, we'll be reading Insights, saying stuff like:

"In NBA 2K11 we had this very limited. This year, we expanded it so much, we really took to the next level. It's really a huge step over what was in 2K11".

# 69 Mos1ted @ 09/22/10 02:26 PM
I feel as though I designed this game myself. Every feature I've wanted in the game since I first bought NBA 2K2 is in NBA 2K11. This might be the only sports game I own in the future because I don't see any other game matching what this has to offer (maybe MLB: The Show although I'm not a big baseball guy)

# 70 mustardnmayo @ 09/22/10 02:28 PM
All my franchise dreams have come true this year unbelievable

# 71 aholbert32 @ 09/22/10 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
we can still control every team in the association if we choose to do so right?

Yes, Simballer promised last year to never take that feature away.

# 72 bbolo84 @ 09/22/10 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Actually, I'd hate to be 2K11 when 2K12 is released. Imagine that next year, we'll be reading Insights, saying stuff like:

"In NBA 2K11 we had this very limited. This year, we expanded it so much, we really took to the next level. It's really a huge step over what was in 2K11".
Man that would be crazy, but you know its true. Every year they say this about the previous year's game.

# 73 jr2424 @ 09/22/10 02:39 PM
I give, I give 2K. You guys have done more in one console cycle than I've ever seen a sports game accomplish. NFL 2k5 is still my top sports game ever (even though I'm a die-hard NBA fan), but 2k11 is making a run at it. A SERIOUS RUN.

# 74 mustardnmayo @ 09/22/10 02:42 PM
I hope they addressed the silly coach hiring and firing during the season where fired coaches are always hired by another team that just fired their coach the same season..

# 75 eko718 @ 09/22/10 02:50 PM
I may actually play Association this year. I usually just play single seasons. Great improvements.

# 76 MarvellousOne @ 09/22/10 02:50 PM
Man o Man o Man, this is too good to be true! If everything runs as it's stated then whoa, talk about a no brainer and a must buy sports title, loving this blog right here, I just hope they don't have that statistic glitch like they did last year where players would average 111 PPG 54 RPG etc etc etc when you got a good amount of years up into your association, hope that is completely fixed. Man from Jordan Challenge & MJ: Creating A Legend mode to My Player and Association mode, going to be very hard to determine what I want to spend most my time on...so many choices this game should never get stale and boring.

# 77 Hassan Darkside @ 09/22/10 02:51 PM
Excellent news. By far the best news I've heard about 2k11 since I'm a huge Association/Franchise junkie. The team building/states is just like something I posted in the Association improvements thread. Nice to know that the producers are always reading.

A couple things I wish, though.
1.) Online Association. Was hoping I'd see that at the bottom of the article but never did. Oh well, always next year.

2.) Improved generated rookies. I hope giving us the ability to create draft classes isn't going to be a cop out for how poorly done their generated players have been. They've been bad as far as tendencies and signature moves go for the last few years.

# 78 syncinatti @ 09/22/10 02:52 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/sambowie/blog/10424-guy-has-trouble-with-nba-elite-demo-hilarious/

I know off topic but.. Please, please PLEASE for those who havent seen this..... its the funniest thing ive seen in a minute. literally was crying i was laughing so hard. wife and kids had to check on me. still laughing!

# 79 TheBrothers24 @ 09/22/10 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
* Improved scouting
* Editable/Real D-League Rosters
* The ability to set injuries before starting an Association (type, how severe and for how long)
* Realistic draft picks (i.e. the Rockets owning the Knicks 2012 being reflected in the game, or at least the ability to customize this before starting an Association
* The ability to "swap picks" and "add protection"
* Role players/ bench guys morale not sucking because... well they suck and aren't getting playing time.
* Ability to promote assistant coaches.
* Ability to edit/swap coaches when managing rosters before starting an Association

Just to name a few.
Very good list and would all be welcomed additions for the following titles. Add to that list the summer league circuit(sort of what they did with the ABL in CHoops 2k8) and we may have the deepest franchise mode ever. Imagine being able to play games with D-league players and undrafted rookies to see who you want to give those last few contracts to before pre-season starts.

You may have drafted somebody in the 2nd round of the draft but you suck with him but see that undrafted guy you were considering and he actually fits your style better. You can give him the contract and may even let the 2nd rounder go.

Man i can't stress how much I love Association mode and the replay ability of it. Keeps this game in my disc tray because of it

# 80 RayAllen20 @ 09/22/10 03:02 PM
This is really really good, and I can't wait to jump into it. I'll probably have a 30 team association, and 1 where I play like 25 games a year with one team if the A.I. is as good as they say it is for other teams.

A couple questions though, I hope maybe Simballer could answer:

1. If I play an association with the Jazz let's say, could I still play any game I wanted too? Like the Celtics-Lakers finals or something like that.

2. Did you improve the # of wins/losses teams get per season. Like, the best team only winning 50 games?

Thanks for actually addressing your franchise mode and not ignoring it. Now please teach Madden how to do the same...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.