Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

The EA Sports MMA demo is now available for the 360. Download it now or queue it up right here.

Please download it and post your impressions here.

UPDATE: It is now available for PS3 users.

Quote:
"EA SPORTS MMA brings the authenticity of the world’s most intense combat sport home like never before. Go on the offensive with a dynamic control system for strikes, elbows, knees and kicks and strategically manage advances and counters with an intuitive submission system. Battle it out in the Strikeforce cage or deliver vicious soccer kicks and head stomps in a ring in Japan. Are you ready? Let’s get it on!"

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Phobia @ 09/28/10 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
This game is amazing. I must have seen 5 different throws with Overeem alone. And I do like how stamina plays a HUGE role in this game.

I do love the fact that you aren't defenseless when somebody is standing in your guard over you. You can up kick them in the jaw ANDDDDDDDDDD SWEEP THEM ! Lashely was standing over me, I upped kicked a few times, then stuck both my feet in his gut and tossed him to the side. That move was nice.

So is pushing him up against the cage, kneeing his body, doing foot stomps and throwing elbows up against the cage. The submission moves are nasty on this game. I do like it how you really have to time it and if you miss an attempt you take a pretty good size stamina hit.

And I do like how the characters play to their strengths. Lashley didn't want any part of the stand up and always looked to shoot in on me. But since he isn't good in submissions, he didn't try to sub me, he was more interested trying to get into full mount to ground and pound.
League here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man this is going to be E.P.I.C!!!!!!!!

# 22 MF DOOM @ 09/28/10 11:57 AM
god damn, when is this coming out for ps3...im so jealous!!

# 23 CX1329 @ 09/28/10 12:01 PM
Is this game really that good? I might just have to pick it up sometime then. Not right now, because I've got NBA 2K11 on pre-order already, but perhaps for Christmas. I've been craving for a good, realistic fighting game on the 360, but the UFC games were a little too much on the wacky side of the realism spectrum for me.

How are the fundamentals in this game? Are hooks and uppercuts the only effective punches, or do jabs and straights matter as well? Also, do leg kicks have any significant effect? I'm a huge Muay Thai person, and I'd love to see it being well represented in the game.

# 24 Anim8or @ 09/28/10 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
Okay so i played a few matches and im liking the game so far. Graphics are amazing and it looks like an actual fight. I'm still getting used to the controls as I have never played Fight Night before.

I cant figure out how to throw head kicks, i've only been throwing leg kicks so far.

Once you get the full mount it seems like its an automatic win. I've only been playing on Medium difficulty so maybe that has something to do with it. But everytime i've gotten the mount I end up knocking the guy out.

Submissions are REALLY a chess match. I've been thrown in the triangle twice and go choked out because I couldnt figure out how the submission zone thing works.

The ground game is great. Its simple but complex at the same time. Simple because all you have to do is press the A button to transition(there's no major and minor transitions like UFC).....but complex because you have to time it right and preserve your stamina.

I'm getting used to striking with the Right Stick. Its not as responsive as I would like for it to be, but once the punches land they look fluid and realistic.

The CPU goes for takedowns a lot in this demo. But sprawling is easy because you just hit the B button. Overall i'm liking the feel of the demo, and looking forward to the actual game.
Love that you guys are enjoying it.. I have been biting my nails all night hoping people see the love we put into it.

One note: There IS actually a major transition, it's just UP on the left stick and A. If you are in a centered position (guard, stacked, Posture up) you can choose the direction for your pass as well (minor down left/right+A or up left/right+A). If major transitions are stopped though, you will be swept, so just use them when you think your opponent is off his guard or low on stamina.

Simon

# 25 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/28/10 12:02 PM
I am really loving the fake striking you can do. Really sets up the cpu for a takedown nicely when they are worried about you tagging them. I do love how there are different stamina zones. One for the head, one for the torso, etc. And FINALLY leg kicks actually matter. Even more awesome that cpu will start to check leg kicks if you constantly throw them.

I also love how it is different ways to escape out of positions, especially back mount and from guard. Also love how not every fighter got the same kind of escape moves, throws or counters. Makes everybody feel different and unique in their own way.

Like trying to do submission moves and muay thai moves with Lashley was impossible, the cpu wasn't having none of that and shut it down quick, which was nice.

# 26 CX1329 @ 09/28/10 12:09 PM
Quote:
And FINALLY leg kicks actually matter. Even more awesome that cpu will start to check leg kicks if you constantly throw them.

That's great to hear. If leg kicks matter, then maybe I'll finally have a lot of fun with the Muay Thai folks.

# 27 23bluesman @ 09/28/10 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
Love that you guys are enjoying it.. I have been biting my nails all night hoping people see the love we put into it.

One note: There IS actually a major transition, it's just UP on the left stick and A. If you are in a centered position (guard, stacked, Posture up) you can choose the direction for your pass as well (minor down left/right+A or up left/right+A). If major transitions are stopped though, you will be swept, so just use them when you think your opponent is off his guard or low on stamina.

Simon
Thanks for the tip! Haven't dl'd the demo yet as I have a PS3 (don't think it's out yet) but the suspense is killing me man!!!

The only thing I hate right now by looking at the vids is Overeem's generic shorts..takes away from his trademark look.

Btw, do you also post at the EA Sports MMA website official forums?

# 28 Stumbleweed @ 09/28/10 12:26 PM
Oh man, I'm excited about this... should have some time tonight to mess with it too. Glad the first impressions from the league guys are positive -- I'm looking forward to some online fight cards for sure.

# 29 Phobia @ 09/28/10 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or

Simon
LOVING it Simon!!!

Any other tips you might let go of?

I did not know about the passing. Still a lot to learn.

How do you stuff a take down and end in a submission. I stuffed I think it was Jake Shields from taking me down and ended up on my back with him in a guillotine choke. Tapped him out for the win. But I am not sure how I did it exactly. I thought I was just hitting B to sprawl

Oh and Shields on the ground is beast. He hooked me in a triangle which I fought it off for a good 45 secs. Then he switches to a arm bar which I then come close to losing on but managed to keep him at bay. I get back to my feet and then he goes for the take down and I reverse it to a guillotine choke. He hung on for about 30 secs with me slowly tighten in on him, then he hooks my arm and manages to keep me at bay again. But he could not keep it as I hit the zone and sank it in quickly. Win for Miller, by submission Guillotine choke

# 30 DaveDQ @ 09/28/10 12:31 PM
I can't say how much I like the stamina in this game. You really feel like you are deciding what to do and when to do it.

Stamina = My Precious.

# 31 LingeringRegime @ 09/28/10 12:34 PM
Quote:
This game is amazing. I must have seen 5 different throws with Overeem alone. And I do like how stamina plays a HUGE role in this game.

I do love the fact that you aren't defenseless when somebody is standing in your guard over you. You can up kick them in the jaw ANDDDDDDDDDD SWEEP THEM ! Lashely was standing over me, I upped kicked a few times, then stuck both my feet in his gut and tossed him to the side. That move was nice.

So is pushing him up against the cage, kneeing his body, doing foot stomps and throwing elbows up against the cage. The submission moves are nasty on this game. I do like it how you really have to time it and if you miss an attempt you take a pretty good size stamina hit.

And I do like how the characters play to their strengths. Lashley didn't want any part of the stand up and always looked to shoot in on me. But since he isn't good in submissions, he didn't try to sub me, he was more interested trying to get into full mount to ground and pound.
Sounding good. Can't wait to give it a go tonight.

# 32 mgoblue @ 09/28/10 12:39 PM
Are submissions pretty realistic then? I'm a big submission guy, but in UFC 2010 on the highest level it can be pretty easy once you've learned the stamina tricks to get the opponent to be tired...

I don't want them too hard though, or too easy...It's gotta be tough to code because it should be possible to get a early sub, but also not super easy.

# 33 Phobia @ 09/28/10 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Are submissions pretty realistic then? I'm a big submission guy, but in UFC 2010 on the highest level it can be pretty easy once you've learned the stamina tricks to get the opponent to be tired...

I don't want them too hard though, or too easy...It's gotta be tough to code because it should be possible to get a early sub, but also not super easy.
They seem perfect mgo

It is really really tough to describe it but it FEELS perfect. Hell the whole demo FEELS so great.

I think EA will knock this one out the park with the full game.

# 34 mgoblue @ 09/28/10 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
They seem perfect mgo

It is really really tough to describe it but it FEELS perfect. Hell the whole demo FEELS so great.

I think EA will knock this one out the park with the full game.
Nice...look forward to playing tonight sometime...

I'm really excited not to have to shine, and my right palm will thank me lol That can hurt if you play enough in a row....

# 35 Phobia @ 09/28/10 12:46 PM
How great is it that the jab and straights are effective!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can literally keep a fighter at bay with the jab and use it to set them up for other moves.

# 36 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/28/10 12:47 PM
Oh yeah I almost forgot. The sway system is 10x better then that BS Undisputed 2010 had. It is way more responsive. And you can fake a takedown on an opponent, which is nice. Fakes really are effective when set up right.

I was taking Shields down instantly for the 1st 2 minutes of the round. Then I faked a takedown, he went to sprawl and I clocked him with an right uppercut, KO'ed him. Also I can really feel the difference between the heavyweights and middleweights on this demo. Miller and Sheilds move way quicker then Lashley and Overeem.

Body blows are deadly when they land dead on. I was taunting Shields and he kicked me right in the gut, knocked the wind right out of me, I was stunned, had me saying oh crap !

# 37 Phobia @ 09/28/10 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Nice...look forward to playing tonight sometime...

I'm really excited not to have to shine, and my right palm will thank me lol That can hurt if you play enough in a row....
Or like the mistake I made one night. I got out the shower and jumped right into some UFC2010. Next thing I know I have this huge hole on my palm my right hand where the skin was soft from the water and it just tore a huge chunk of skin out.

I am sooooooooooo pumped for the game. I will be playing this demo till release day

# 38 Mossfan8480 @ 09/28/10 12:48 PM
Game plays like a charm. Especially on the ground. The controls are so simple, but the game so intricate. Beautiful.

However, Simon, one thing I can already tell is going to be problem is the judges' scoring. I've gone to decision twice and both times the judges' scored the fight oddly. It would be a shame to have an awesome five round fight go to the judges', only for it to be ruined by wackadoo scoring. Let me explain.

For instance, in one fight I had two judges score two rounds 10-10 (which I'm okay with even though judges' in real life still haven't grasped this ability to score a round even), and then another judge scored those same two rounds 10-8. Even Cecil Peoples isn't that bad. For one judge to see the fight so close that he awards neither fighter the round, and for another to see the fight so dominate in one fighter's favor to award it 10-8 is absurd. The 10-10 score was far more reflective of the round, as both fighters neutralized one another. There may be no dice rolls in the actual gameplay, but it sure feels like the judges' scores are.

# 39 Phobia @ 09/28/10 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossfan8480
Game plays like a charm. Especially on the ground. The controls are so simple, but the game so intricate. Beautiful.

However, Simon, one thing I can already tell is going to be problem is the judges' scoring. I've gone to decision twice and both times the judges' scored the fight oddly. It would be a shame to have an awesome five round fight go to the judges', only for it to be ruined by wackadoo scoring. Let me explain.

For instance, in one fight I had two judges score two rounds 10-10 (which I'm okay with even though judges' in real life still haven't grasped this ability to score a round even), and then another judge scored those same two rounds 10-8. Even Cecil Peoples isn't that bad. For one judge to see the fight so close that he awards neither fighter the round, and for another to see the fight so dominate in one fighter's favor to award it 10-8 is absurd. The 10-10 score was far more reflective of the round, as both fighters neutralized one another. There may be no dice rolls in the actual gameplay, but it sure feels like the judges' scores are.
That could be a good thing. Just like real MMA. Like they always say "Don't let it go to the judges". Because at that point you never know what can happen. I like SOME randomness with the judges. But I also want to see when someone dominates that they get the credit, but a close fight should go either way.

I have not had a decision yet. I plan on getting a couple tonight So I will check it out and see

# 40 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/28/10 12:56 PM
The submissions on this game are different. For joint locks it is a matter of carefully tapping the button. For chokes it is the stick. However everything is in harmony though. Do it too fast you gas out and don't get it. Do it too slow and they escape.

This demo is a blast.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.