Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

The EA Sports MMA demo is now available for the 360. Download it now or queue it up right here.

Please download it and post your impressions here.

UPDATE: It is now available for PS3 users.

Quote:
"EA SPORTS MMA brings the authenticity of the world’s most intense combat sport home like never before. Go on the offensive with a dynamic control system for strikes, elbows, knees and kicks and strategically manage advances and counters with an intuitive submission system. Battle it out in the Strikeforce cage or deliver vicious soccer kicks and head stomps in a ring in Japan. Are you ready? Let’s get it on!"

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 161 TheShizNo1 @ 09/29/10 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biizz

Keep in mind this is my first time playing with Lashley, I switched because I didn't want to worry about takedowns
Can't argue w/ the film. I went from being indifferent to maybe waiting to see what the 1st patch does to it.

I think some who hated UFC10, are just jumping on something new ie Backbreaker

# 162 Taur3asi3 @ 09/29/10 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC_Pete
So I was Overeem and went the distance with Lashley on normal difficulty. In the end Lashley attempted 66 takedowns. 66!?! WTH!
Yeah I went 3 rounds and he attempted 48. I also some how managed to lose the decision by scores of 30-27, 29-28, and 30-24(!) despite the fact I spent the entire third round on top in the mount and back mount giving him a beating.

# 163 Phobia @ 09/29/10 08:55 AM
I played another 20 or so matches last night and I truly don't see the issues some of you guys are describing.

I played on Legend all night.

Overeem(cpu) vs Lashley(me). I lost about 75% of the time. Overeem comes out swinging and rarely goes for the take down. He likes to stand and bang. If I try and stand with him, I normally end up getting KOed.

Now the other 25% of the time that I won. It was only when I could get the take down and remain on top.

Sheilds(cpu) vs Miller(me). This was about 50/50. I would stand and bang with Shields getting a lucky shot to stun him and KO him. I would defend about 50% of his take downs. But the danger came once he got a take down. Then Shields would lock on a submission and I was tapping most of the time.

Shields hates to stand and bang. He likes to take it to the ground and do a little GnP and work for the sub. He is a beast to get off you and very tough to fight the sub off.

Maybe I just suck, but I find HARD to be just about right. Legend I tend to lose a lot and Medium I win most the time. But for the most part the CPU AI fights different for each fighter and uses their strong suit.

# 164 Phobia @ 09/29/10 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Can't argue w/ the film. I went from being indifferent to maybe waiting to see what the 1st patch does to it.

I think some who hated UFC10, are just jumping on something new ie Backbreaker
I disagree shiz. I truly think this game is amazing compared to UFC 09 & 10. No different then how I liked Madden 10 and Backbreaker and NCAA 11. I stated this couple weeks ago.

All I am after in EA MMA is a game that works and is a chess match vs humans. This game completely succeeds in that. It also does not hurt that the CPU AI is good for me.

Bottom line, I am not going to nit pick the game to death to how everyone tends to do around OS on every game. I want to play it and enjoy myself. Which I have had a blast playing the demo. Unlike UFC 2010 which gives me no enjoyment. It is more frustrating trying to play it.

# 165 gmac0322 @ 09/29/10 09:04 AM
I guess no one else is having this problem too?

# 166 TheShizNo1 @ 09/29/10 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I disagree shiz. I truly think this game is amazing compared to UFC 09 & 10. No different then how I liked Madden 10 and Backbreaker and NCAA 11. I stated this couple weeks ago.

All I am after in EA MMA is a game that works and is a chess match vs humans. This game completely succeeds in that. It also does not hurt that the CPU AI is good for me.

Bottom line, I am not going to nit pick the game to death to how everyone tends to do around OS on every game. I want to play it and enjoy myself. Which I have had a blast playing the demo. Unlike UFC 2010 which gives me no enjoyment. It is more frustrating trying to play it.
you know I wasn't talking about you Phobia, you're better than that.

I'm just saying I see this to be the case w/ some. The game isn't bad, just some things, that if tweaked, would go a long way

# 167 CaptainZombie @ 09/29/10 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwg1970
Dude seriously?? How do you judge this game based on medium difficulty? Medium is really easy, and you got it handed to you. It's funny how quickly some people come up with an opinion after a few games. When you get up to the adult difficulties, let us know what you think.
Who cares if he is playing on Medium difficulty................so what, that disqualifies someone from having an opinion or thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Felt fun, but had a few observations from 10ish matches using Mayhem against Shields.

It seemed damn near impossible to get any sort of standup going...Shields always went to the clinch no matter what I could do.

Transitions seemed easy for me using Mayhem. Even if I got mounted I could reverse it pretty easily.

Subs (esp chokes) seemed pretty easy too...if I slapped on a triangle (no matter what Shields' stamina was) I'd be able to get the win...Same with the arm triangle.

This is on default difficulty, I have to try more difficult later...
Mgo, I feel the same way about the fights I have had. The computer only went toe to toe with me once out of 10+ fights. The rest were either trying to put me in the clinch or starting the fight with the AI trying to take me down to show off the ground game or pinning me up against the cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac0322
I was just wondering if anyone is getting booted off of the EA servers after exiting out of a match? 360 version
Yes, I had the same thing last night on the PS3. It would boot me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC_Pete
So I was Overeem and went the distance with Lashley on normal difficulty. In the end Lashley attempted 66 takedowns. 66!?! WTH!

I really dislike using the stick to strike as well. It just doesn't seem fluid or intuitive. Especially when all the actions you use the buttons for can be emulated on the stick with relative ease.
I think some of my dislike for this game has to do with the controls. I'm so used to the UFC controls that I really need to just give this more time before getting pissed and judging the book by its cover before fully diving into it.

I really like some of the things that EA has implemented here, especially with the stamina. It feels like it will really factor into the fights, which I really like. I might just put the difficulty on easy for a few fights to get used to the controls and then just bump them back up again.

Hopefully some guys are not just so upset with THQ and how both UFC 09/10 turned out that they are praising this thing just to spite THQ's efforts. Granted THQ made some big mistakes with UFC 10......but one thing I can say is that I didn't feel like the fights were moving at a fast pace like what they are with EA MMA.

# 168 Phobia @ 09/29/10 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
you know I wasn't talking about you Phobia, you're better than that.

I'm just saying I see this to be the case w/ some. The game isn't bad, just some things, that if tweaked, would go a long way

Quote:
If you can have fun with the game please do buy it and play it all you want. Just don't tell me it's realistic when it clearly isn't. I don't even know how to play this game well and I can go in with Bobby Lashley and KO Overeem within 20 seconds repeatedly on the hardest difficulty, that isn't sim to me.
Its realistic

P.S. I AM going buy it AND I am going to enjoy the hell out of it

# 169 gmac0322 @ 09/29/10 09:27 AM
Thanks Zombie for the reply. I am glad its not just happening to me. It must be a problem with the demo. How smooth is it on the PS3?

# 170 CaptainZombie @ 09/29/10 09:37 AM
Quote:
Thanks Zombie for the reply. I am glad its not just happening to me. It must be a problem with the demo. How smooth is it on the PS3?
No problem. Other than the disconnects from EA Servers, the PS3 version ran fine without any noticeable issues.

I didn't check, but is there a tutorial or listing of the controls? I need to get UFC out of my mind when playing this. LOL!

# 171 Phobia @ 09/29/10 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
No problem. Other than the disconnects from EA Servers, the PS3 version ran fine without any noticeable issues.

I didn't check, but is there a tutorial or listing of the controls? I need to get UFC out of my mind when playing this. LOL!
The MMA 101 is a tutorial

# 172 ManiacMatt1782 @ 09/29/10 09:46 AM
We definitely need a better tutorial. I'm getting the sprawl, and the grounded the basic striking. But I'm lost on parries, I'm lost on advanced striking. I can win, but I feel there are more tools in this game that we have no clue how to use because the tutorial is so bare.

# 173 CaptainZombie @ 09/29/10 09:49 AM
Quote:
The MMA 101 is a tutorial
Thanks Phobia, I'll check it out...........I went straight to playing the demo instead of checking the other options. I was too anxious to try this thing.

# 174 gmac0322 @ 09/29/10 09:51 AM
Quote:

Lol Lol I hear ya. I was doing the same thing switching back and fourth with the two basketball demos.

# 175 Phobia @ 09/29/10 10:03 AM
Quote:
Thanks Phobia, I'll check it out...........I went straight to playing the demo instead of checking the other options. I was too anxious to try this thing.
Not a problem man

# 176 Phobia @ 09/29/10 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
We definitely need a better tutorial. I'm getting the sprawl, and the grounded the basic striking. But I'm lost on parries, I'm lost on advanced striking. I can win, but I feel there are more tools in this game that we have no clue how to use because the tutorial is so bare.
Parries are so useful off your back. When you parry punches it drains their stamina so you can parry 3 or 4 strikes and then succeed in kicking them off.

To parry, hold RT, then flick the right stick left or right. You want to flick the stick AWAY from the strike.

Ex. If they are raining down shots from your guard and throwing alot of right hands(left side of your face). You want to flick the stick to YOUR right. AWAY from the strike. You flick it right after they throw the punch. You have a good bit of time to parry.

# 177 Sakuraba19 @ 09/29/10 10:07 AM
Quote:

Keep in mind this is my first time playing with Lashley, I switched because I didn't want to worry about takedowns

Looks like you played too much Street Fighter 4 bro.

This looks like Frye vs the Japanesse dude...usually in a MMA fight you don't spam punch after punch after punch... But oh well go play UFC, dominate the fuight and get flash Ko by a stupid Jab.

# 178 UNC_Pete @ 09/29/10 10:23 AM
I hope take downs are toned down. Are they in the higher difficulty? Anyone going for 66 take downs is just utterly ridiculous.

# 179 sb24 @ 09/29/10 10:26 AM
Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone is getting booted off of the EA servers after exiting out of a match? 360 version
Yes

Quote:
I played another 20 or so matches last night and I truly don't see the issues some of you guys are describing.

I played on Legend all night.

Overeem(cpu) vs Lashley(me). I lost about 75% of the time. Overeem comes out swinging and rarely goes for the take down. He likes to stand and bang. If I try and stand with him, I normally end up getting KOed.

Now the other 25% of the time that I won. It was only when I could get the take down and remain on top.

Sheilds(cpu) vs Miller(me). This was about 50/50. I would stand and bang with Shields getting a lucky shot to stun him and KO him. I would defend about 50% of his take downs. But the danger came once he got a take down. Then Shields would lock on a submission and I was tapping most of the time.

Shields hates to stand and bang. He likes to take it to the ground and do a little GnP and work for the sub. He is a beast to get off you and very tough to fight the sub off.

Maybe I just suck, but I find HARD to be just about right. Legend I tend to lose a lot and Medium I win most the time. But for the most part the CPU AI fights different for each fighter and uses their strong suit.
Well I wasnt seeing that last night. All I wanted to do was stand and bang but would either be taken down or put in the clinch. Once that happened fight was over(Me winning via KO, or lose via sub). I think the cpu got up once while I was in mount. The funny thing is I never attempted any takedowns. The most I would do is throw the guy once he put me in the clinch. At this point I am avoiding the ground game. To me its far to easy to end up in mount and then the AI is helpless. I did get knocked out once or twice by Overeem standing but not enough IMO for legend difficulty.

Quote:

I am not sure about user vs user yet, will give my opinion on that tonight. As for the AI, it is really great in some ways, but its lacking in others. I feel like once you get a better feel for the game you might feel differently. I remember you were the one to convince me the rule of 3 wouldnt be an issue for UFC 10 after playing the demo, then we got deeper into the game and realized what it did. I am giving this game a chance, I dont want to nit pick it either. I am just not having good fights with the AI. I do see huge potental for user vs user battles tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
It doesnt matter if I knew how to do that stuff, I cant get the cpu to stand and fight. My "basic" punches have been enough to get a standing KO but for that fight I had to avoid the ground game. I would avoid looking for mount just to stand back up.

I cant wait to try this all out user vs user tonight. I really want to like and enjoy this game. It has tons of potential and I see it, I just hope the user can make another user pay more than the AI does to me.

# 180 Phobia @ 09/29/10 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Yes

Well I wasnt seeing that last night. All I wanted to do was stand and bang but would either be taken down or put in the clinch. Once that happened fight was over(Me winning via KO, or lose via sub). I think the cpu got up once while I was in mount. The funny thing is I never attempted any takedowns. The most I would do is throw the guy once he put me in the clinch. At this point I am avoiding the ground game. To me its far to easy to end up in mount and then the AI is helpless. I did get knocked out once or twice by Overeem standing but not enough IMO for legend difficulty.

I am not sure about user vs user yet, will give my opinion on that tonight. As for the AI, it is really great in some ways, but its lacking in others. I feel like once you get a better feel for the game you might feel differently. I remember you were the one to convince me the rule of 3 wouldnt be an issue for UFC 10 after playing the demo, then we got deeper into the game and realized what it did. I am giving this game a chance, I dont want to nit pick it either. I am just not having good fights with the AI. I do see huge potental for user vs user battles tho.

It doesnt matter if I knew how to do that stuff, I cant get the cpu to stand and fight. My "basic" punches have been enough to get a standing KO but for that fight I had to avoid the ground game. I would avoid looking for mount just to stand back up.

I cant wait to try this all out user vs user tonight. I really want to like and enjoy this game. It has tons of potential and I see it, I just hope the user can make another user pay more than the AI does to me.
Well I had faith THQ would fix the issues. I stated that I thought for sure THQ would fix the small issues because WHY would they screw up something so good ala UFC 09. Who would of guessed they never attempted to fix any of the gameplay issues.

Now I have played about 50 or so fights in EA MMA and I am very comfortable with the controls now. I don't struggle doing UFC controls any longer. With that said, maybe I suck at the game but I find the CPU AI tough on legend and hard.

Now I also stated I buy UFC 09, UFC 10, and now EA MMA all for online only. The single player means NOTHING to me. I could careless if there was no single player. I want a balanced online experience. I did not touch 09 single player, did not touch 10 single player, and will barely touch EA MMA single player.

99.9% of all my time spent on my 360, PS3, or PC is spent playing online.

All I care about is a chess match user vs user

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.