Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Ordinarily in basketball, a delay of game penalty costs a team no more than a free throw and possession of the ball. But when the delayed game is NBA Elite 11, the punishment could be more severe.

Quote:
"In a note to investors, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said the delay could cost publisher Electronic Arts as much as $60 million. Pachter lowered his holiday quarter revenue projections for the publisher from $1.52 billion to $1.46 billion, reflecting the loss of 1.1 million sales of NBA Elite 11.

Perhaps worse, Pachter thinks the game's 2011 first quarter sales will now be less than before, even with the game presumably launching in that window. In revising his figures, Pachter said he only expects the game to sell 500,000 copies at launch. When NBA Elite 11 was still set for an October launch, Pachter had expected sales of 550,000 for the January-March quarter. He even raised the prospect of it being canceled outright."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Live_4real @ 09/29/10 10:39 PM
I don´t want to question this information, but ask yourself a question

- Do you think the EA heads (I AM TALKING ABOUT EA) would prefer losing 60M then selling a crappy game (for me the game is not crappy)??????

EA is all about money and profit, I could see them lose 10M in a operation to save the reputation of fifa/NHL or even Madden, there is NO WAY they decide to lose 60M to save a name of a franchise that they treated like trash in the last few years (for me live7elite are the same franchise despite different names)

PeAcE

# 22 yungflo @ 09/29/10 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtq
Chump change.
yup, thats nothing for EA, thats why they swallowed it.

# 23 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/29/10 10:56 PM
My take......

1. 60 million is a hell of a lot of money. That's money that could have went on 3 or 4 different new IP's that EA wanted to get into. People got to remember EA makes more then just sports games.

2. People might get fired, might not, but I gurantee you that development team is going to get broken up. People going to get re-assigned to other teams and they going to bring other people in from other teams.

# 24 cbass1 @ 09/29/10 11:09 PM
Seriously I really think at this point the EA board of directors have to really think about canning the head of EA Sports as well as the Executive Producer of this project. Losing 60 mill on any project is HUGE money.

# 25 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/29/10 11:22 PM
Ummm Peter Moore is the head of EA sports. He isn't the executive producer of Elite. So therefore this can't be blamed on Peter Moore, being he is the head of EA sports. Which EA sports consists of the following:

1. Madden
2. NCAA Football
3. Live/Elite
4. Tiger Woods
5. NHL
6. FIFA
7. Nascar
8. MMA

So no way Peter Moore can be blamed because of one franchise being delayed. Now if all of the games were delayed then yeah. But not because of just one.

# 26 jmood88 @ 09/29/10 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_4real
I don´t want to question this information, but ask yourself a question

- Do you think the EA heads (I AM TALKING ABOUT EA) would prefer losing 60M then selling a crappy game (for me the game is not crappy)??????

EA is all about money and profit, I could see them lose 10M in a operation to save the reputation of fifa/NHL or even Madden, there is NO WAY they decide to lose 60M to save a name of a franchise that they treated like trash in the last few years (for me live7elite are the same franchise despite different names)

PeAcE
Well considering the fact that they delayed the game, it's obvious that they prefer losing that money to ruining their brand even further. EA knew how much money they were going to lose by not putting the game out so it's not like they just made some rash decision without considering how much they were going to lose.

# 27 fatleg3 @ 09/29/10 11:52 PM
Does anyone still think ea had plans all alone to delay the game or any other conspricies?

# 28 Live_4real @ 09/29/10 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Well considering the fact that they delayed the game, it's obvious that they prefer losing that money to ruining their brand even further. EA knew how much money they were going to lose by not putting the game out so it's not like they just made some rash decision without considering how much they were going to lose.

That is obvious, my point was, do you really believe they prefer losing 60M than putting up a crappy game (for me it was not crappy)????

What did they do between 06 and 09???? They released crappy games, and they didn´t even bother about the live brand that back then was HUGE

So why lose money now, and not back then???

I understand that they want to begin the ELITE franchise with a great product as they should, but did they believe that only 1 year was enough to change so many things???

This seams to amateur for a billionaire company man. I do believe 2 things, they had this delay idea, as a "if they don´t have enough time" option all the way, meaning they new that it was possible for them to skip a year, or, I do believe that they will lose less then 60M

If this information confirms, and it was 60M, then, there is no problem, they did the mistake, not the devs, Littman had a long time project that the EA big heads approved, so there is nothing to worry about in the perspective of the consumer, this for me even confirms the best perspective, because now, they HAVE TO continue this project, because if they rebuild they will have another meh year

Do you see were I am coming from...

PeAcE

# 29 jmood88 @ 09/30/10 12:07 AM
Those crappy games sold enough to justify their existence, this game wasn't going to sell at all.

# 30 yungflo @ 09/30/10 12:18 AM
The reason peter moore sucks, remember all that crap he was talking? peter moore love to talk crap, but not necessarily motivate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moore
. "I’m not quite sure what [Jordan on the cover] signifies, quite frankly," he said. "We haven’t announced our player yet, but we tend to be forward thinking about our franchises. I mean, I’m a huge Michael Jordan fan, but in the same way that I don’t put Pelé on the cover of FIFA, we have the young up and coming stars. You’re going to see that again from us with NBA. We never went after Jordan. They have done it; it’s an interesting marketing move to use a retired player. I don’t know how they intend to use it. Michael Jordan? Well yeah, greatest player to ever play the game. [At the] same time, it's strange for the consumer... what does it signify?"

Moore added, "They’ve got a great product and I’m sure their cover boy isn’t going to impact that."

didn't NCAA football had a retired player on the cover? as well as madden? Mike Vs Tyson anyone? Fight Night?

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/m...ays-ea-sports/

at least he gave them props

# 31 stoncold32 @ 09/30/10 12:30 AM
i think EA sales predictions are a little too high.

# 32 dtq @ 09/30/10 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
The reason peter moore sucks, remember all that crap he was talking? peter moore love to talk crap, but not necessarily motivate

Moore added, "They’ve got a great product and I’m sure their cover boy isn’t going to impact that."

didn't NCAA football had a retired player on the cover? as well as madden? Mike Vs Tyson anyone? Fight Night?

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/m...ays-ea-sports/

at least he gave them props
If he really said that - served him right.

# 33 Flightwhite24 @ 09/30/10 12:59 AM
Now wouldn't had been just smarter to just spend 2-5 million on more staffing to produce a well-polished product? This is what saddens me the most. Do things right the first time and situations like this will be less likely.

# 34 ianlast @ 09/30/10 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
Now wouldn't had been just smarter to just spend 2-5 million on more staffing to produce a well-polished product? This is what saddens me the most. Do things right the first time and situations like this will be less likely.
But that's just the thing, it wouldn't have mattered if they had an army of a million working on this dog, it probably still would have flopped.

No matter how many people you've got working on a game, you need time and more importantly a clear vision for the game. Elite 11 certainly didn't have the former, and the jury's still out on the latter (that's being VERY charitable).

# 35 Db-Ransom @ 09/30/10 02:39 AM
they could have invested 1/6 of that insteady of being stingy, and made a revolutionary game... and made back more money, but instead the just lose it outright... serves them right

# 36 yungflo @ 09/30/10 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtq
If he really said that - served him right.
yep he said it.

Before Peter Moore, People thought that EA was an arrogant multi-billion dollar company. With Moore, everytime he talks, it just reinforces that negative imagery.

The guy must have a brilliant mind or else they wouldn't have hired him, but I think he needs to do his desk work and stfu.

also i remember when he use to work for microsoft, dude is hilarious even when he tries to b serious

# 37 AceOfDavid @ 09/30/10 06:13 AM
NBA Jam going to bring some of the money so they not going to lose that much or they will make more because of NBA Jam

# 38 jugganott @ 09/30/10 12:16 PM
The lure of Jordan being in a game for the first time in years plus all of the additions in 2K11 did it. Jordan in the game is bringing back guys who haven't played video games in a while. People who don't even play sports games anymore. Guys like my 30+ year old friends who--like me-- remember watching Jordan and instantly pre ordered the game. 2K pulled out the big guns. They are on the top now..no where to go but down. It will be interesting to see how the community handles having only one dog in the race. Game changer--they beat the bullys cross eyed cousin. Now I'm sure with losing this money MORE HEADS are going to focus on NBA LIVE/ELITE. It will be interesting.

# 39 GaryT531 @ 09/30/10 12:24 PM
This is awful if people lose their jobs over this. We'll never know who it is, but you know a major company like this will need a scapegoat or five or ten. Suits who proposed the idea to overhaul Live into Elite might be the ones in trouble.

# 40 jugganott @ 09/30/10 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastwork
First off Pachter is an idiot.

Duyuhhhhh lets see… 1.1 mil copies X $59.99 = $60 mil in lost revenues. Oops. Looks like someone forgot that retailers actually have to make a profit. Please don’t ever post another quote from this guy.

2nd no way this game sells a million copies. I hope he wasn’t quoting the EA sales forecast because obviously they had no clue what was going on.
I think he was factoring in the fact that they will have to pay a fine because of the NBA License stuff. Since they will fail to release a game within a certian time frame I think they will have to pay a fine or something.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.