Home
NFL 2K13 News Post

Go Fanboy is reporting that 2K Sports has already approached the NFL about a licensing deal. Will it happen? Will we see NFL 2K13?

Quote:
"It looks like everything we had been hearing over the last year and half has turned out to be true as word is now coming out that Take-Two Interactive, the parent company of 2K Sports, has approached the NFL about a licensing deal for the 2013 NFL season. It was rumored last month that the NFLPA, the official association representing players of the National Football League, were already in preliminary talks.

While nothing solid has been worked out, all the pieces are falling into place. Take-Two has sold of several major assets - including their mega-distributor JOAG in Cincinnati, Ohio in order to raise capital. We'll keep you updated as the details emerge."

Game: NFL 2K13Hype Score: 10/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 32 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 HealyMonster @ 10/06/10 09:34 AM
I heard about this on twitter but couldnt find a link. I hope they can prevail man. Would be a great day to find out 2k is making a pro football game. Its nearly too good to be true lol.

# 22 rooney8 @ 10/06/10 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGH
I heard about this on twitter but couldnt find a link. I hope they can prevail man. Would be a great day to find out 2k is making a pro football game. Its nearly too good to be true lol.
Yeah it really is just a rumour but I want to believe so bad.

# 23 DarkOmnios @ 10/06/10 11:00 AM
Why 2k dont continue the all pro series?
I mean yah the NFL league is the best but 2k could work on more all pro then when they had a chance to grab the NFL license they already had a engine well worked.

I never could played the All-Pro Football 2K8

# 24 DaveDQ @ 10/06/10 11:44 AM
If it's a bidding war, it's open to anyone; however, if the NFL has a choice, they will stay with EA. I know many feel EA has not made waves with Madden this generation (I happen to agree), but what they have done really well is blend Madden into the NFL. They have branded it very nicely and that's primarily what the NFL wants.

# 25 TracerBullet @ 10/06/10 12:00 PM
As long as it isn't exclusive.

# 26 Cryolemon @ 10/06/10 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
But the NFL might be worried about a loss of control. They really have EA jumping through hoops making Madden with you can't have tattoos or tackles can't be to violent etc. They would likely make 2k jump through similar hoops.
I don't see how having 2 non-exclusive licenses is any different in terms of control. They would just make any company that makes a game do the same.

# 27 elgreazy1 @ 10/06/10 12:14 PM
Hopin' but most likely not a chance in hell this happens. EA is giving far too much money to the NFL for the exclusive deal and Madden continues to sell millions upon millions; I don't see the NFL changing it anytime soon.

# 28 bigsmallwood @ 10/06/10 12:14 PM
NBA 2K11 could help NFL 2K get back in the game. If the powers that be were to see that game+the sales of it compared with how Madden is currently, they could be swayed. 2K11 has served notice to EVERY sports game that has ever been created with how deep and detailed it is...not to mention the gameplay is as good as it gets.

NFL 2K should definitely be given STRONG consideration so that gamers have a choice.

# 29 Armor and Sword @ 10/06/10 12:30 PM
Believe it or not Electronic Arts is losing money every single quarter. Their last earnings statement showed a -1.08 per share.

They are bleeding money. I can easily see the NFL not doing an exclusive deal in 2013 and allowing another game developer into the mix.

EA as a company has been a poor performing company for years. Too many exclusive licenses that are not helping the bottom line. They will let these go one by one to cut costs. Madden will always be here, but soon in the not too distant future, it will not be the only NFL game in town. The margins are not justifying it any longer.

This can only help the Madden franchise too and we as the consumer win. Madden 2011 is a good game. Competition would make it a great game again ala circa 2005.

I would of course love to see NFL2K13. That would be amazing.

# 30 Cryolemon @ 10/06/10 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Hopin' but most likely not a chance in hell this happens. EA is giving far too much money to the NFL for the exclusive deal and Madden continues to sell millions upon millions; I don't see the NFL changing it anytime soon.
Of course there's always the NCAA license if the NFL renew with EA.

# 31 elgreazy1 @ 10/06/10 12:44 PM
Well, I'm gonna keep the fingers crossed and hope that 2K gets back into video game football in anyway shape or form. APF2K8 was actually an excellent game, just not as deep as one would expect from a 2K product.

# 32 Cryolemon @ 10/06/10 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by udungoofed
In any case, video game football may not be worthless for much longer.
Well, only another 2 years lol.

# 33 TreFacTor @ 10/06/10 01:49 PM
I didn't buy Madden 11, and I definitely will not buy Madden 12, I'm gonna save that money for 2k. They say good things come to those who wait, and that the sim shall inherit the earth....let there be light!

# 34 rooney8 @ 10/06/10 03:20 PM
Quote:
Considering it's been 5 since the last non Madden NFL game, we're the majority of the way there.
Actually six long dark years and some light at the end of the tunnel would be sweet.

# 35 Cryolemon @ 10/06/10 03:31 PM
Quote:
Considering it's been 5 since the last non Madden NFL game, we're the majority of the way there.
Well yes, there is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
The NFL is going to want a guaranteed sum of money for the license whether the deal is exclusive or not; they don't want to get burned again like they did when 2k started a pricing war with EA in 2004.
Well yeah. I'm not sure that 2k's pricing war had a lot to do with the NFL, since the licences would have been paid in advance.

# 36 harnalien @ 10/06/10 03:35 PM
I would like to donate to 2K Sports efforts to bring back football.

# 37 miaturne @ 10/06/10 03:39 PM
I will be purchasing NBA 2K 11 this week not only because the game appears to be one of the, if not the, best sports game of the generation, but also because the more I help 2K's sales, the more I support the chances of this kind of product coming to the NFL.

# 38 rooney8 @ 10/06/10 05:28 PM
Quote:
I think that in 2004 the NFL simply garnered a percentage of each game's sales; that, if it's true, would explain why they went the exclusive route with EA. EA approached them before about an exclusive deal, but the NFL turned them down. After 2k sold for $20, which forced EA to lower the price of Madden to $30, the NFL had a change of heart and signed an exclusive deal with EA.
Money grabbing bastards! Busy arguing over 8billion of fans money while they black out games and sign exclusive deals. A couple of years ago the premier league refused to sell sky the remaining soccer games because they would have had them all and that would have been a monopaly.

# 39 Only1LT @ 10/06/10 05:43 PM
Quote:
I think that in 2004 the NFL simply garnered a percentage of each game's sales; that, if it's true, would explain why they went the exclusive route with EA. EA approached them before about an exclusive deal, but the NFL turned them down. After 2k sold for $20, which forced EA to lower the price of Madden to $30, the NFL had a change of heart and signed an exclusive deal with EA.

The NFL got royalties from game sales, but they also did get licensing fees as well. Not as much as what the exclusive license was worth obviously, but there has always been a licensing fee to make an NFL game.

I am not sure how their royalty deal worked though, whether they got a percentage of revenue or if they got paid based solely on number of copies sold. If it was the former, then I could definitely see why they would be upset with 2K's price cut, as it would cut into their take, but if it was based on games sold, which I think it was, they might still be upset at 2K, not because they were making less, but simply because they were hurting their brand image by discounting it to bargain basement prices. If I remember correctly, I think this was in fact the reason.

# 40 Cryolemon @ 10/06/10 07:40 PM
I'm guessing the vast majority of royalty agreements are based on overall sales, especially if there is competition, since that will naturally lower prices (even if only a bit).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.