Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

EA Sports MMA is available now, please post your impressions.

See the full press release, along with a launch trailer and new screenshots.

Go Beyond the Cage with Global Fighting Experiences, MMA Superstars and Innovative Online Features

*Check out all the new screenshots, right here.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., - October 19, 2010 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), announced that EA SPORTS™ MMA is available in stores throughout North America starting today and will launch worldwide beginning October 22 and in Japan on November 11. EA SPORTS MMA, offering the most authentic, intense and broadest mixed martial arts experience to date, allows players to travel the world and learn a multitude of fighting techniques and skills. The game features a vast array of world-class fighters, and players can extend their gaming experience online through a first-of-its-kind feature - EA SPORTS Live Broadcast.

Fighters can further showcase their MMA skills to the world through EA SPORTS Live Broadcast in which players can create their own fighter and then produce a hype video to get noticed by an actual EA SPORTS promoter. Once selected by the EA SPORTS promoter, players will be able to have their fight broadcast online through EA SPORTS Live Broadcast, while a live commentator calls every move made during the fight. Moreover, each EA SPORTS Live Broadcast fight can be viewed on game consoles or online via the web.

“EA SPORTS MMA is the most immersive and authentic mixed martial arts experience available, bringing together great fighters, opportunities to train and fight internationally and features that allow players to prove their skills online to a wide audience,” said EA SPORTS MMA Executive Producer Dale Jackson. “EA SPORTS is excited to bring this highly anticipated title to mixed martial arts fans and help grow the popularity of the sport worldwide.”

EA SPORTS MMA provides the definitive mixed martial arts experience, featuring multiple disciplines, rule sets, locations and fighters from all over the world. Players can fight in a ring, hexagonal or circular cage, and the MMA environment comes to life with ring girls, corner men and referees. Ring announcer Jimmy Lennon Jr. provides fighter introductions while Big John McCarthy officiates fights and MMA legend Frank Shamrock and commentator Mauro Ranallo call the action.

Through career mode, fighters will be able to train in locations around the world with legends of the sport such as Randy Couture, Pat Miletich, Rickson Gracie and Bas Rutten, visiting gyms in Japan, Brazil, Thailand and the U.S. While training internationally, players will teach their fighter new skills as they rise up the ranks to make it to one of the biggest stages in MMA – STRIKEFORCE.

Other key features within EA SPORTS MMA include:
  • Fighter Share – Players can put themselves into the world of MMA training and fighting and begin the quest to become a champion. They can upload photos of themselves and use Photo Game Face to create their own, personalized roster of fighters. Display and share these create-a-fighters via Fighter Share by uploading and browsing other created fighters. In addition, through Fighter Share players can download and try out any fighters created by the passionate EA SPORTS MMA community.
  • Customize Your Own Fight Card – Become a promoter and set up a night of fights with your friends. With the ability to host four fights per card with up to 10 people connected*, players can challenge each other to fights, and talk trash while friends provide commentary to the fight.
  • Total Strike Control – Through an intuitive control system for striking, elbow, knees and kicks, players can go on the offensive with Total Strike Control, providing the utmost flexibility for their fighters. EA SPORTS MMA also provides the flexibility for those who prefer fighting using face buttons with the Classic Control scheme.
Sherdog MMA Fighter Exchange Program brought to you by EA SPORTS MMA

Announced on October 11, EA SPORTS will be sponsoring the Sherdog MMA Fighter Exchange program, which mirrors EA SPORTS MMA’s career mode where young fighters travel the globe to learn various martial arts disciplines.

The program gives four up-and-coming fighters the opportunity to learn new fighting techniques and disciplines while training with STRIKEFORCE MMA superstars that appear in EA SPORTS MMA. Two North American fighters will train in Japan and Brazil under the tutelage of Luke Rockhold and Jason “Mayhem” Miller, while two international fighters, will be mentored by Gegard Mousasi and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza in the U.S.

Sherdog.com will provide a behind-the-scenes look throughout the fight camps with blog and video coverage of the fighters. After weeks of training, the four fighters will make their STRIKEFORCE debut, as an undercard, during the December 4 fight featuring Dan Henderson vs. Renato “Babalu” Sobral, which will be streamed online by Sherdog.com.

EA SPORTS MMA will be available on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the iPhone® and iPod® touch.

For more information about EA SPORTS MMA, visit http://www.easportsmma.com or follow the game on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/easportsmma and Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/easportsmma.

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 81 ExtremeGamer @ 10/21/10 05:37 AM
I picked it up. I wanted it after E3, then the demo hit and I wasn't interested anymore. Then impressions came out and everyone said better than the demo so I bit.

I love it offline. Much improved over the demo and the AI works well within the game. I haven't started a career yet, but loving exhibition fights.

Now comes the part I can't stand, online. When I got the game home, I had a couple fights and they were fun. When I played last night, the game got so frustrating that I almost snapped it in 2. If you play heavyweight, everyone picks Fedor. I got flash KO'ed 2 straight times, both within 10-15 seconds of the opening bell. So I changed divisions, it got to a point where I could predict who I was fighting for each class, everytime. And I was right.

I know a lot of it is that I'm not that good at the game, but I shouldn't be submitted within 20 seconds of the bell and a full stamina bar as I'm hitting the defend the submission button over and over again. Meanwhile the guy I'm fighting has no stamina left, but somehow gets the sub. Whatever.

I would welcome fights against OS'ers for sure, as I'm sure everyone isn't going to pick the best guy over and over again, but this last night was terrible.

Not to mention, 3 out of every 4 times I searched for a fight I couldn't find one, that can't be a good sign.

Offline is great, online is borderline terrible against randoms. Could be fun against friends though.

# 82 ManiacMatt1782 @ 10/21/10 06:50 AM
Watch the tips and tricks live broadcast. A lot of good info if you are new or struggling.

# 83 DaveDQ @ 10/21/10 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I suck at this game so far. I can see the potential, but it's going to be a minute before I find any kind of flow. I keep getting beat up by the cpu on medium difficulty. I picked up UFC a lot easier than this. I'm glad to know Dave has been taking a beating as well.

What is helping me is the career mode tutorial. I had no idea I was defending choke holds wrong until the tutorial showed me I was rotating to the top too much. Now I'm pretty good at defending them. The biggest challenge for me is to settle down and be patient. It's really enjoyable though. Kind of a big learning curve for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King10Sooted
Is anyone else noticing the sound cutting out when playing online? Especially during introductions.
yes, it seems to get mixed up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I picked it up. I wanted it after E3, then the demo hit and I wasn't interested anymore. Then impressions came out and everyone said better than the demo so I bit.

I love it offline. Much improved over the demo and the AI works well within the game. I haven't started a career yet, but loving exhibition fights.

Now comes the part I can't stand, online. When I got the game home, I had a couple fights and they were fun. When I played last night, the game got so frustrating that I almost snapped it in 2. If you play heavyweight, everyone picks Fedor. I got flash KO'ed 2 straight times, both within 10-15 seconds of the opening bell. So I changed divisions, it got to a point where I could predict who I was fighting for each class, everytime. And I was right.

I know a lot of it is that I'm not that good at the game, but I shouldn't be submitted within 20 seconds of the bell and a full stamina bar as I'm hitting the defend the submission button over and over again. Meanwhile the guy I'm fighting has no stamina left, but somehow gets the sub. Whatever.

I would welcome fights against OS'ers for sure, as I'm sure everyone isn't going to pick the best guy over and over again, but this last night was terrible.

Not to mention, 3 out of every 4 times I searched for a fight I couldn't find one, that can't be a good sign.

Offline is great, online is borderline terrible against randoms. Could be fun against friends though.
You should try running through the career mode so you can play that tutorial. They should have put that in place of the stand alone tutorial. It's more in depth and even lets you spar for practice. I'm struggling in online but put in a few matches this morning and am making progress, but that career tutorial helped me out a lot.

# 84 ExtremeGamer @ 10/21/10 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
What is helping me is the career mode tutorial. I had no idea I was defending choke holds wrong until the tutorial showed me I was rotating to the top too much. Now I'm pretty good at defending them. The biggest challenge for me is to settle down and be patient. It's really enjoyable though. Kind of a big learning curve for me.

You should try running through the career mode so you can play that tutorial. They should have put that in place of the stand alone tutorial. It's more in depth and even lets you spar for practice. I'm struggling in online but put in a few matches this morning and am making progress, but that career tutorial helped me out a lot.
Thanks Dave, I'll try it out.

I just wish I could see who I was fighting so if I do heavyweights, it's not Fedor EVERY time.

I'm pretty good at defending the submissions, but should try the tutorial. That's a silly place to have it by the way. LOL Especially for a game that is trying to push online so much. I just figured the EA MMA 101 thing was it.

# 85 Phobia @ 10/21/10 10:01 AM
Finially had some time to play a few matches online last night in standard ranked match.

I am still undefeated. 4-0 baby!!!! Check out my fight replays if you guys get a chances. Granted I have 4 or 5 days ahead of most online so I got a slight advantage. But it was to easy beating the guys online. None went past the first 2 min of the first round.

EG just stick with it man, there is a lot to learn.

# 86 thorne666 @ 10/21/10 10:03 AM
Bought the game last night. Excited, but apprehensive, especially after reports of success had by those who just pick the best fighters in each class.
Can someone confirm or disputer what has been said about this?
I would really hate to open the game, only to find that every fight online will be against cheesers more interested in padding their stats than good competition. My dream - perhaps a bit lofty - is to pick any fighter and hold my own against any other character in a div., as long as I execute a game-plan. I'm really tired of the 'super-fighter-crutch' in combat/fighting games. And with all that has been said about there being so much balance in the game, this would be very disappointing for me.

Should I remove the plastic!?

Thnx bros!

# 87 ExtremeGamer @ 10/21/10 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Finially had some time to play a few matches online last night in standard ranked match.

I am still undefeated. 4-0 baby!!!! Check out my fight replays if you guys get a chances. Granted I have 4 or 5 days ahead of most online so I got a slight advantage. But it was to easy beating the guys online. None went past the first 2 min of the first round.

EG just stick with it man, there is a lot to learn.
Oh, I'm not getting rid of it, if anything, offline will keep me busy for a long time, especially with fighter share. I'd love to fight some guys I know to get real fights, just avoiding the randoms in it for now. Maybe after they are weeded out it'll be better.

# 88 DaveDQ @ 10/21/10 10:40 AM
What I'm learning with online is DO NOT try and trade punches. If they come out swinging, go for the takedown. Sometimes I can weave out of an attack and then counter punch, but trading shots just increases the chance of getting stunned and I have no idea how to get out of being stunned. Once I go down, it's over. Does anyone know if you are supposed to rapidly hit B to defend the onslaught or slowly?

# 89 ExtremeGamer @ 10/21/10 10:45 AM
Quote:
What I'm learning with online is DO NOT try and trade punches. If they come out swinging, go for the takedown. Sometimes I can weave out of an attack and then counter punch, but trading shots just increases the chance of getting stunned and I have no idea how to get out of being stunned. Once I go down, it's over. Does anyone know if you are supposed to rapidly hit B to defend the onslaught or slowly?
Yeah, I lost 2 straight fights to Fedor in opening seconds like that. First one I pressed B like mad, second one I did it normally like a submission. Lost both times. LOL

# 90 Dogslax41 @ 10/21/10 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
I just had an **** battle in career mode. I created a brawler and trained fairly extensively on my striking. At the beginning of my career I was knocking dudes out really quick and thinking, man I hope this game gets harder and ya it has. Once I moved up to my second company United something or other the game got real fun. The CPU was real good at ducking and parrying my punches. Last fight I had couldn't hit the dude with anything and ended up on my back the first 2 rounds. Figured I'd have to change my strategy for round 3. I shot for the takedown got slapped in the guillotine and had to tap. At no point did I feel like I was losing cause of controls or cheap AI I just didn't have a good strategy and probably should have used the scout feature that's incorporated in the game. I guess it's time to train for some groundwork. Cheers
I had a very similar experience. I went 6-0 out of the gate and was thinking career mode was going to be a huge letdown because it was too easy. Well my 7th fight cured me of that thinking.

I built up a dominant ground guy with solid striking and won 5 by KO (4 ground and 1 flash) and 1 with a rear naked. Then I got to my first fight with my second league and dominated a heavy striker for two rounds by staying away from his power and taking him to the ground. I had him gassed starting the third and despite knowing I was ahead on the card I got greedy because I was able to pick some standup shots from the outside becuase he was tired and I wanted to finish the fight with a highlight KO.

I telegraphed one too many combos and got caught with a shot that put me down and he moved in and finished me off. Very realistic and didn't feel cheap at all. Very difficult to do given that I lost a fight I was winning for 95% of it. Coolest thing about it was that the play by play was appropriate talking about how the only way he could have won was with a late knockout.

# 91 n8ccwa @ 10/21/10 11:35 AM
I played the demo and enjoyed it but it felt somewhat easy so I was on the fence on this one. Good to hear that the retail is tougher then the demo. I'll be picking this one up tomorrow it sounds like.

Anybody had any success using Benji "the Razor" Radach? He's a local guy that I used to hang out with, excited to see him in a game.

# 92 DaveDQ @ 10/21/10 12:02 PM
Here's a fancied up video of me (Miller) vs an online opponent (Henderson). As you can see, he comes out very aggressive and almost does enough damage to my head that I go down, but I managed to evade him enough. The key here to me is that he never let's his stamina recover. It's almost always at 50% of the stamina bar. Fortunately, I make him pay for it.

# 93 Pappy Knuckles @ 10/21/10 12:13 PM
Quote:

Thanks, I'm going to give career mode a shot today and work on some things. Yesterday I spent all my time getting beat up by a buddy online. My biggest issue so far is anticipating when to press buttons on the ground and in the clinch. I'd get the best of the standup, but eventually he'd get me to the ground and work me over. I still had a blast even though I lost every single fight. The closest one was a split decision loss when I had Nick Diaz vs. Shinya Aoki.

I think the online fight card feature is awesome. Instead of going back to the lobby after every match you can queue up several fights in a row and play them out. EA did a good job with online, the fights have been silky smooth for me.

# 94 econoodle @ 10/21/10 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
In the way that the announcers kind of a have a mono tone voice. I mean they do say good stuff, it is just their voices sound blah, like no excitement in it. And the crowd interaction is lacking.

thanks skillz

# 95 Phobia @ 10/21/10 12:38 PM
Quote:
You must press it as fast as possible when you are rocked and they are beating u up for the TKO. You must regain the full bar for them to wrap up and "survive". So it is a speed game of how fast you can build the bar back up vs them landing each punch to drain it.

At first I was doing it the speed of the submissions and quickly learned that is not the correct route.

# 96 mgoblue @ 10/21/10 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Oh, I'm not getting rid of it, if anything, offline will keep me busy for a long time, especially with fighter share. I'd love to fight some guys I know to get real fights, just avoiding the randoms in it for now. Maybe after they are weeded out it'll be better.
I'm getting this eventually, waiting for the Amazon B2G1 I think (right now playing Fallout, so kinda sucked in there).

Thanks for the single player impressions though, I do a lot of my playing there and glad it's fun. This is now a must buy, just a matter of when i break down and buy it lol

# 97 ExtremeGamer @ 10/21/10 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
You must press it as fast as possible when you are rocked and they are beating u up for the TKO. You must regain the full bar for them to wrap up and "survive". So it is a speed game of how fast you can build the bar back up vs them landing each punch to drain it.

At first I was doing it the speed of the submissions and quickly learned that is not the correct route.
Thanks!!!!

# 98 DJ @ 10/21/10 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I'm getting this eventually, waiting for the Amazon B2G1 I think (right now playing Fallout, so kinda sucked in there).

Thanks for the single player impressions though, I do a lot of my playing there and glad it's fun. This is now a must buy, just a matter of when i break down and buy it lol
I'm in the same boat; mostly offline player that's just trying to figure out when I'm going to break down and pick this up. I said no more games after 2K11 but the reviews from guys on the boards here have all been good.

EG, if you can provide any more offline impressions, that would be great. Are you noticing that the CPU fighters play to their strengths, i.e. a wrestler looks to bring the fight to the mat while a striker will keep it standing?

How is the difficulty?

# 99 ExtremeGamer @ 10/21/10 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
I'm in the same boat; mostly offline player that's just trying to figure out when I'm going to break down and pick this up. I said no more games after 2K11 but the reviews from guys on the boards here have all been good.

EG, if you can provide any more offline impressions, that would be great. Are you noticing that the CPU fighters play to their strengths, i.e. a wrestler looks to bring the fight to the mat while a striker will keep it standing?

How is the difficulty?
I find it difficult if you don't play to your own fighter's strength. If you take Rogers and try to make him be a submission specialist, you'll get killed.

Honestly, I've just been doing exhibition fights, and haven't paid too much attention to the style of the AI guy, especially since I've been doing all CAF type fights. Like I did Lesnar vs. Tyson, Lesnar vs. Fedor, Rampage vs. Evans, etc.

It's a blast though, the controls are just awesome and kill the UFC game. If UFC doesn't steal these for the 2012 game, then they are insane.

I'm really excited for the first live broadcast Tuesday night. Want to see how this goes off with live announcers and what not. Should be a cool experience.

# 100 koolbubbaice @ 10/21/10 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
One thing i wish they added are the following:

1. More submission moves. It would be cool to have the anaconda, north south choke, kimura from half guard bottom, peruvian necktie.

2. The ability to choose the type of throws you wanted to do in career mode or create a fighter.

This is one aspect UFC 2010 is better. I found it odd going to all these camps and you can't learn ANY throws. Makes making a judo fighter kind of boring because you can't learn any throw at all.

Would have cool that if you wanted to learn Judo throws you had to go to Judo school. Wanted to learn suplexes had to go to wrestling school. Want to learn dirty boxing go to Randy Coutoure camp.

The way the camps are in this game, you only get to learn a special move from these camps. Which is find and dandy, but camps & styles also have their own unique way of throws and sweeps too.

I created a Judo fighter, went to Judo school just to find out the only thing I could learn there was inverted kneebar, knee bar and jumping arm bar. That was a huge let down.

No game so far has captured the true beauty of Judo. All the different kind of throws, sweeps, etc they have.

Speaking of sweeps, that needs to be improved upon. I want to see butterfly guard with butterfly sweeps. Kimura sweeps from guard. Kimura from the body clinch.

Inverted triangle chokes. Crucifix mount. More disicpline based takedowns and throws.

This game has a great base, just needs to be expanded upon. Specifically the takedowns and throws.
As someone who practiced Judo, Sweeps, & throws are the foundation of this art.. They rely much less on submissions & joint minipulation then Ju Jitsu... My Judo training also helped me win a fight.. Guess what I used, a Sweep, which lead me to get the mount position to end the fight.. Another great thing about Judo is.. The first thing you are taught is how to fall... Yes, there's a way to fall to avoid injury.. Why do you think pro wrestlers spend hrs falling on the mat? To reduce injury.. When thrown, you go with it, lead into it to reduce the impact, & never land flat on your back.. Judo is a great discipline. I just hate wearing GI's..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.